IGNORED

Bristol City v Luton Town Match Day 25

Septic Peg

Sorry to deviate from the game, but just read through the firs couple of pages of this thread.   Can we have an honest show of hands of who, based on performances and evidence (not some bizarre man crush or love for a song) would have the overrated show pony Palmer anywhere near the side? Every time the bloke gets 20/30 minutes he continually gives the ball away and does nothing - but because he is 'technically ' good and a cult, people worship him and would build teams around him despite him being continually shit.  It's always someone else's fault- Diedhou cant play with him etc.  Its Evander Sno all over again - if the bloke is as good as you lot make out, I'm fairly sure he can fit in despite Afobe being injured.   Because it's going to be a difficult career for him if the only time he can play is in the same side as Benik Afobe no matter what club hes at.

Rant over.

Good performance, good result, poor opponents.

Eliasson needs to be playing week in week out.  No excuses now, he was phenomenal.

Dasilva is a very welcome return, those two will give most opponents nightmares.

Also thought Hunt worth a mention - I didn't rate him last season but he's really come on and was very good again today on the overlap and in winning the pen.

It was noticeable that Luton had been told to kick lumps out of us at half time but it was about all they brought to the game.

The ref and linesmen were very good too I thought but for one poor offside given against Eliasson.

Overall - happy with that, if we perform that well on New Year's Day I'll be very pleased.

Well done City and well done LJ.

20 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I don’t think anyone who holds that opinions necessary would have preferred we lost. 

I want us to win, but I do think the win has papered over the cracks. I don’t trust LJ. Something major has to happen for me to change that opinion and beating Luton isn’t it. Beating Brentford won’t be it either. I’ve formed an opinion over time and as much as the LJ backers will use today’s result as an “I told you so”, the reality is that it isn’t one. And it isn’t a result I’ll be changing my opinion on. 

It appeared to me that there were one or two who were bitterly disappointed we won. You are clearly not one of them and you make your case rather than resorting to the straw man arguments they used. It would be interesting to know what would change your opinion though.

22 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I don’t think anyone who holds that opinions necessary would have preferred we lost. 

I want us to win, but I do think the win has papered over the cracks. I don’t trust LJ. Something major has to happen for me to change that opinion and beating Luton isn’t it. Beating Brentford won’t be it either. I’ve formed an opinion over time and as much as the LJ backers will use today’s result as an “I told you so”, the reality is that it isn’t one. And it isn’t a result I’ll be changing my opinion on. 

I tend to agree with this. I don’t have faith that LJ is the man to take us to the next level, mainly because I don’t trust him to get a consistent level of performance out of a pretty decent squad.

....BUT....if we beat Brentford and go 4th...you’ve got to say that’s hardly underachievement.

It’s strange times to be unconvinced by management when the broad picture remains very positive, in the context of our history over the last 40 years, but that’s pretty much where I’m at.

25 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

That's fair enough and I'd never never normally level the accusation that people want us to lose just because they want the manager gone. I'm not at the point of wanting him gone myself (for now) but even if I did I'd be more than happy for him to turn it round and prove me wrong even if it took a while, as is the case for yourself and most people I imagine.

However, when you look at that poster's contributions to the match thread and others, where they almost seem upset that we've won and are slagging others off for being happy about it, then it's hard not to reach the conclusion that I did.

37 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Do you not think the performance was an improvement? It’s “only Luton” but compare it to Wigan at home for example (similarly shit league position) and the actual performances are worlds apart

Dont think we lost a game when Watkins have started. He have scored goal for us and I think he is good. With him in the team we got more options forward. Famara, Watkins and Weimann, all can score. Eliasson put his nice balls in to the box. Today we had many players running offensive when we had the ball, many options. Nice to see. Good feeling for the defence to have a clean sheet. Brentford is better than Luton but with the promising play today we can also beat Brentford. COYR!!!

35 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Good performance and win all things considered. A win against Brentford and all will be forgiven. 

Not quite. I want to see us reaching a consistent level of performance, preferably with a reasonably consistent team selection, suggesting a manager who knows his best side and how he wants to play.

The problem I have is that, despite a good win today, we can’t rely on this side to produce the required level week in, week out. We are consistently inconsistent. I want us to lose when we’ve simply been outplayed by a better side, not because we’ve not shown up. That’s where we need to get to.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

For me the expectation has to be play offs minimum. If he delivers that, he has done his job. If not, he hasn’t.

Today has relaxed me a little simply because we played with confidence and freedom, two qualities we have lacked, and that at least means there is some hope. But ultimately LJ has had some good wins and good performances before. The question for me is whether he can sustain consistent performances and a promotion challenge. At the moment, I am not convinced but I want him to succeed and will judge at the end of the season - unless we lose touch with the play off places before then...

45 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

For me the expectation has to be play offs minimum. If he delivers that, he has done his job. If not, he hasn’t.

Today has relaxed me a little simply because we played with confidence and freedom, two qualities we have lacked, and that at least means there is some hope. But ultimately LJ has had some good wins and good performances before. The question for me is whether he can sustain consistent performances and a promotion challenge. At the moment, I am not convinced but I want him to succeed and will judge at the end of the season - unless we lose touch with the play off places before then...

Bang on

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Do you not think the performance was an improvement? It’s “only Luton” but compare it to Wigan at home for example (similarly shit league position) and the actual performances are worlds apart

But isn't that part of the problem?

1 hour ago, daored said:

Forget the result , forget the opposition , performance. The most important thing from today , @Jerseybean did your daughter enjoy her first game?

Thanks daored

She said before kick off that she was feeling nervous-cited, which is her brilliant word for apprehensive. After four minutes she was out of her seat and cheering, she watched the entire game intently and really genuinely seemed to enjoy herself, despite her dad’s screaming and shouting! 

1 hour ago, Garland-sweden said:

Dont think we lost a game when Watkins have started. He have scored goal for us and I think he is good. With him in the team we got more options forward. Famara, Watkins and Weimann, all can score. Eliasson put his nice balls in to the box. Today we had many players running offensive when we had the ball, many options. Nice to see. Good feeling for the defence to have a clean sheet. Brentford is better than Luton but with the promising play today we can also beat Brentford. COYR!!!

Puts his Nice balls into the box, exactly how well do you know him Garland?

24 minutes ago, pillred said:

Puts his Nice balls into the box, exactly how well do you know him Garland?

He he pillred, sometimes language is funny. Dont know Eliasson more than you. What i mean is that he is hell of a player and put good crosses in to the box, Maybe that was more correct english. Ive learned some english in school but most Ive learnt by reading daily in english, most City related ofcause. Anyway the play and result was good today.

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Good stuff.

Luton were dreadful but we've had a habit at home of making similarly poor sides look a lot better than they are so a job well done.

An early goal makes all the difference in these sorts of games.

In hindsight were we really that good today?

Yes we scored 3 goals today but against a poor Luton side we only played well in patches and it was enough

Wednesday against Brentford will be a better measure as to our ability to mix it in the top 6

3 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

We lost the first game he started....Boro 0-2 (h) when LJ played him up top.  Then at West Brom 2-4 (a) in his 4th start. Sorry ?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/marley-watkins/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/91315/verein/698

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

We lost the first game he started....Boro 0-2 (h) when LJ played him up top.  Then at West Brom 2-4 (a) in his 4th start. Sorry ?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/marley-watkins/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/91315/verein/698

Ok. Was maybe thinking of last season when he played some games in the beginning. Think he scored twice then but he got criticied. Think he was ok the games he started. Nice that he can give something to the team and I hope he continue to play well.

11 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Ok. Was maybe thinking of last season when he played some games in the beginning. Think he scored twice then but he got criticied. Think he was ok the games he started. Nice that he can give something to the team and I hope he continue to play well.

Yeah, he’s always done ok when played.

Archived