IGNORED

'Johnson Out' banners

Nomad

On 29/12/2019 at 18:22, Natchfever said:

Many disliked him as a player because he was selected regardless ...........

.......... and the belief in this ‘story’ is the reason that a number of our fans are so quick to get the knives (and banners) out. 

Its got nothing to do with an honest, unbiased assessment of his managerial prowess. The very fact that this statement has been written in this thread proves the link. LJs management should have nothing to do with his time as a player - but in the minds of some people it has everything to do with it and it influences their actions and opinions. 

I was at AG when LJ scored to beat West Brom (when GJ was in charge). A bloke in front of me turned to his mate and said ‘B@@@ocks - that means he’ll be in the side for the next game’. 

For some, bashing the Johnsons IS more important than winning (or should I say bashing THEIR Johnson’s.....!!!)

Pathetic.

I've just been watching the fly on the wall documentary series about Sunderland's relegation season from Premier League to Championship, almost going a calendar year with not winning at home (imagine that, we've just lost two at home and some are in meltdown) and the inevitable slide into League 1.

Puts things into perspective don't you think.

On 29/12/2019 at 13:11, spudski said:

Definitely a reative rather than Pro active fan base.

Some are almost 'entitled'.

Always said we historically are a sing when we are winning bunch.

A hardcore will support through thick and thin.

Many support when it's going well. Moan at the slightest when it's not.

Our team is a reflection of our support in many ways.

I think I am in the weak core and will still turn up. Trains or wife permitting.

On 29/12/2019 at 18:22, Natchfever said:

I find that hard to believe. 

Many disliked him as a player because he was selected regardless, and this was compounded when despite a moderate (and short) managerial career he was ushered into the job here. Regardless of that, I don't know of anyone even amongst his biggest critics who weren't prepared to eat humble pie if he delivered. The shocking run a couple of years back resulting in SLs public backing confirmed he was bombproof and with the fall offs of the past 2 years when in good positions, resentment of his favourable treatment is always bubbling under the surface as I don't know many who actually believe he will deliver.. 

That, plus his persona means he isn't widely liked. Nothing his supporters can do about it I'm afraid.

Despite that A City fan will always want the team to do well regardless of the disdain for the coach. 

Just a few. I think the vast majority just want the best for the club, and if that means a change of manager in their opinion then fair enough.

There are some though (and I stress, very few) who almost seem to relish defeat - gives them justification to post hyperbolic threads on here and say 'I told you so' despite 4 years of continuous improvement. 

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Just a few. I think the vast majority just want the best for the club, and if that means a change of manager in their opinion then fair enough.

There are some though (and I stress, very few) who almost seem to relish defeat - gives them justification to post hyperbolic threads on here and say 'I told you so' despite 4 years of continuous improvement. 

Probably sums up how I feel. To the op post also....what is ‘deliver’? Promotion? I’m not sure I genuinely believe we are  amongst the top 3, or would be with even the best manager, whoever that is. Playoffs feels like a realistic ‘deliver’ to me and we’re very close to that right now. I think that will be the difference between feeling like we’re achieving or not this season ...doesn’t feel like banner time tbh

53 minutes ago, Out of his pie crust said:

Probably sums up how I feel. To the op post also....what is ‘deliver’? Promotion? I’m not sure I genuinely believe we are  amongst the top 3, or would be with even the best manager, whoever that is. Playoffs feels like a realistic ‘deliver’ to me and we’re very close to that right now. I think that will be the difference between feeling like we’re achieving or not this season ...doesn’t feel like banner time tbh

Will we bottle play offs and finish just outside again tho 

2 hours ago, phantom said:

I wonder what this forum would have been like if it was about in the Pulis and Osman days???

Everyone hated Pulis, and for good reason with his gas, Holloway best pal background, his known dislike of BCFC. terrible football etc. Any and all criticism would have been justified imo.

A few have not liked LJ from the start and have always wanted a change, but that's little different from Cotterill where I remember 7-8 of the most prominent posters of the time made no secret they didn't like or want him from the off and never changed their minds or gave him much credit for the duration of his stay.

Most City fans will accept and support almost any manager - Pulis, Holloway excepted - if supporting City is a mostly enjoyable experience during their stay, with a little bit of success thrown in occasionally.

On 29/12/2019 at 14:17, Nogbad the Bad said:

That would be great mozo, baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat (sorry, slipped into LJ mode there) we know City are capable of very good one off performances - not too often, but they are capable -so while I'd obviously be cock a hoop with that result today I'd then need to see the performance repeated against Brentford, if not the scoreline.

Got what we wanted Noggers. Just tomorrow to cap a proper revival. 

By the way, do you think the banners can be tweaked to say:

Johnson: the jury is still out (but beating Brentford will get you back in the good books...)

Will have to be a big banner.

20 hours ago, mozo said:

Got what we wanted Noggers. Just tomorrow to cap a proper revival. 

By the way, do you think the banners can be tweaked to say:

Johnson: the jury is still out (but beating Brentford will get you back in the good books...)

Will have to be a big banner.

'LJ - at AG go on the attack, and there'll be no calls for the sack!'

'Give us some action so we're not bored to distraction.'

'Go for their throats from the off, to you our bobble hats we'll doff.'

'Cut down the sideways passes, so my eyes aren't closed behind my glasses.'

Etc, ad infinitum. Discard in no particular order......

More than happy with Luton btw, not quite your 4-0, but close enough and a very satisfactory and enjoyable afternoon.

Let's see a repeat of the performance today and I'll be reasonably content whatever the result.

Archived