IGNORED

'Johnson Out' banners

Nomad

5 minutes ago, OrigKingswoodRed said:

Appreciate your reply as an opposing opinion, without a personal reaction. Exactly how a forum should work. 

I cannot argue against such a well thought out reply.

Do you not agree that this is an exception to the rule? My original point being that gone are the days when any club would have a majority of locally sourced players that would play AS fans and wear the shirt similarly. 

(Some need not have been locally sourced fans either).

Thank you... appreciated.

In the past I would have said yes, but not so now. The game and society has changed too much imo.

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I’ve witnessed some cracking support and atmosphere during relegation fights so that’s too simplistic.

weve set our expectations too high

It’s less than 1% of our fan base 

I guess that the number of occupied seats and atmosphere in the ground will show whether the views on here are representative or not. 

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Well we should get back on track today.

But if it all goes wrong, boy will there be some booing and early leavers. The crowd will be primed to turn on the team if we're losing at any stage.

Expecting lots of empty seats today though this fine weather might persuade a few more to turn up.

Let's hope the team give us something positive to get worked up about.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Expecting lots of empty seats today though this fine weather might persuade a few more to turn up.

Let's hope the team give us something positive to get worked up about.

Yes Noggers, two early goals for the City and it'll be festive cheer instead of toxic gloom. Let's have a dominant 4-0 to put the demons to bed!

2 hours ago, Roe said:

No it's not.  The club have every right to control any messages the fans wish to put out. 

If a big chunk of the support base wants to go down that route than that's their prerogative and if enough agree, their message will get heard.  But right now it's just plain stupid.

I certainly don't agree with everything Johnson's doing at the moment but the calls for him to be sacked right now are crazy.

Crazy, in your opinion. 

2 hours ago, Roe said:

No it's not.  The club have every right to control any messages the fans wish to put out. 

If a big chunk of the support base wants to go down that route than that's their prerogative and if enough agree, their message will get heard.  But right now it's just plain stupid.

I certainly don't agree with everything Johnson's doing at the moment but the calls for him to be sacked right now are crazy.

It's a democracy insofar as people have the right to highlight their position and views. 

Of course, if BCFC want to remove banners that's up to them.

Interesting they can find the staff to do that at the drop of a hat.... They can never find the staff to address any concerns I have at AG. 

34 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

The club do have a duty of care to it's employees though, which like it or not is what LJ is. If I upset a customer at work (having not actually done anything 'wrong') and they decided to put banners up around the City calling for me to be sacked, I'd expect my employers to remove them if they could too.

Yes they do. Possibly! But I wouldn’t want to test that

16 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I’ve witnessed some cracking support and atmosphere during relegation fights so that’s too simplistic.

You can get great support during a relegation battle if it's exciting and the players are seen to be giving everything and showing they want to stay up just as much as the fans.

We have too many games at AG with very little excitement, very little goalmouth action, or shots on target.

It's repetitively uninspired and boring and little surprise if the fans are half asleep after 25 minutes.

You can't expect it to be a cauldron in those circumstances.

Those of us turning up today will do so in the hope of witnessing something to get excited about so we can get out of our seats a few times and let ourselves go a bit.

1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

I think it is a fair reflection personally. Not that it makes the slightest difference to the owners thinking. 

It may or may not be true, but It's not a reliable indicator. A random sample across the fanbase would give a good indicaton depending on sample size etc. But you'd also need to define the fanbase. A bit difficult when you have people who swear blind they are supporters but haven't seen the inside of Ashton Gate for years. But as you say, only the owner really matters. FWIW I think that a change of manager will occur at the end of the season if we do not improve our league position. Whether that means he's safe if we finish seventh I don't know, but there is no way SL is making a change now.

1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

I guess that the number of occupied seats and atmosphere in the ground will show whether the views on here are representative or not. 

There is always a percentage of 'no-shows' regardless of the game, but probably a combination of circumstances (Christmas time, on a Sunday, and on the Red Button, and Luton, and woeful home form/performances) will severly limit the actual home attendees. It might be difficult to estimate who stays away for what reason, and I'm sure the extra xmas few (we could always be sure of a big xmas boost back in the day) won't make much of a dent. We won't get to see a useful breakdown anytime soon. The suits will probably be happy with a 20k+ headline figure - even if thats got 1.5K Luton fans included.

25 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yes Noggers, two early goals for the City and it'll be festive cheer instead of toxic gloom. Let's have a dominant 4-0 to put the demons to bed!

That would be great mozo, baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat (sorry, slipped into LJ mode there) we know City are capable of very good one off performances - not too often, but they are capable -so while I'd obviously be cock a hoop with that result today I'd then need to see the performance repeated against Brentford, if not the scoreline.

1 minute ago, Banjo Island said:

Or a desperate bid to get rid of a clueless manager marley watkins marley frigging watkins ????

In there for his brawn and effort presumably rather than his match changing qualities.

Always the possibility he'll be the loose cannon who gets on the end of a tap in.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's booked in the first 10 mins.

3 hours ago, Roe said:

I disagree - would you be happy if the club deleted posts on here because they didn’t like the content? After all, all posts on here are ‘messages the fans wish to put out’ - I don’t necessarily agree with banners, but taking them down is effectively banning free speech - and how do you know that a ‘big chunk of the support base’ don’t agree with the banners’ content?

2 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

What is it with people & taking sides? Just because they don't believe Johnson is the man to take us up doesn't mean they will be upset we are losing.

Some City fans are so petty.

I genuinely believe there are one or two who, at the very least, aren't *that* upset when we lose because it means they can bash Johnson. 

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I genuinely believe there are one or two who, at the very least, aren't *that* upset when we lose because it means they can bash Johnson. 

I find that hard to believe. 

Many disliked him as a player because he was selected regardless, and this was compounded when despite a moderate (and short) managerial career he was ushered into the job here. Regardless of that, I don't know of anyone even amongst his biggest critics who weren't prepared to eat humble pie if he delivered. The shocking run a couple of years back resulting in SLs public backing confirmed he was bombproof and with the fall offs of the past 2 years when in good positions, resentment of his favourable treatment is always bubbling under the surface as I don't know many who actually believe he will deliver.. 

That, plus his persona means he isn't widely liked. Nothing his supporters can do about it I'm afraid.

Despite that A City fan will always want the team to do well regardless of the disdain for the coach. 

I can’t believe this bollocks thread has got to 3 pages..!

Does anyone actually believe that A) 3 people would put banners up (could be one person being a ***t 3 times, I suppose) 

B) That club staff bother you go and take them down..?!

We are 2 points off 4th place. Anyone thinking that is worthy of putting up manager out banners up is a f*****g moron..! 

IF it's on site, the club rightly or wrongly, have the absolute right I'd have thought. That much seems fairly clear to me.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that it's within the footprint of the ground?

On one hand, it's free speech- which I'm for ultimately.

OTOH, it's not good for morale- by all means express your views but on a matchday, and especially with a bad run at a key time, you want everyone in the stadium pulling in the same direction to try and turn it round. Entering ground and seeing Johnson out banners doesn't set a good tone, for LJ, quite probably the players and dare say quite a few fans.

On the fence, but I can see why it was removed is what I'm trying to say I guess!

I say the fans, I'll rephrase that bit- it could split the fans further is what I'm trying to say and if it manifests itself in the match day atmosphere then it won't help the team.

Archived