IGNORED

Luton Result Relatively Irrelevant?

OrigKingswoodRed

This is neither a negative nor positive post......so

Who agrees that today's result is relatively irrelevant. 

IMO here's why.

3 points = should have beaten 3rd from bottom anyway but have to rely on other results to even get back into a play off place.

1 point = couldn't beat 3rd from bottom & probably another game away from a play off place. 

0 points = lost to 3rd from bottom 5th loss in a row.

If I thought there was evidence (both recent & historical) that by the end of the season BC will have CEMENTED a play off place with a few games to play, then probably wouldn't have been thinking this way......again. 

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Look at the fixtures. Most of our rivals have winnable games. We could really lose touch with the top 6 if we lose this one (ahead of Brentford!).

Got to win.

Yeah I see where you are coming from. Kind of meant the result regarding feel good factor as much as anything, if that makes sense?

I know a host of ppl will think it will make their weekend if city win today but I can think of many more past weekends where if we did I would have been much happier than if we do today?

6 minutes ago, OrigKingswoodRed said:

Yeah I see where you are coming from. Kind of meant the result regarding feel good factor as much as anything, if that makes sense?

I know a host of ppl will think it will make their weekend if city win today but I can think of many more past weekends where if we did I would have been much happier than if we do today?

Oh I agree with you that winning today proves nothing about Lee Johnson as a competent manager, so the ill-feeling towards him will stick around. Beat Luton and a talented Brentford side and I think he'll have earned back some trust.

Is more what you meant?

16 minutes ago, mozo said:

Oh I agree with you that winning today proves nothing about Lee Johnson as a competent manager, so the ill-feeling towards him will stick around. Beat Luton and a talented Brentford side and I think he'll have earned back some trust.

Is more what you meant?

Spot on, especially considering the Brentford point.

You say its irrelevant but I dont think that's the case. Bristol City historically struggle against teams at the bottom, we are more likely to beat the team at the top than those at the bottom, it's always been that way. I'm worried about today's game, it's a potential banana skin so I will be absolutely delighted if we beat them.

18 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

You say its irrelevant but I dont think that's the case. Bristol City historically struggle against teams at the bottom, we are more likely to beat the team at the top than those at the bottom, it's always been that way. I'm worried about today's game, it's a potential banana skin so I will be absolutely delighted if we beat them.

I think you're right. Yes Luton have a dreadful away record but even if we were at the bottom, if we were going away to a team who'd just lost four on the spin including two home games we'd have a glimmer of hope. Luckily we've been very professional so far.

2 hours ago, OrigKingswoodRed said:

IMO here's why.

3 points = should have beaten 3rd from bottom anyway but have to rely on other results to even get back into a play off place.

1 point = couldn't beat 3rd from bottom & probably another game away from a play off place. 

If I thought there was evidence (both recent & historical) that by the end of the season BC will have CEMENTED a play off place with a few games to play, then probably wouldn't have been thinking this way......again. 

So this is neither positive or negative?

Joke! All three scenarios are negative! 

2 hours ago, OrigKingswoodRed said:

IMO here's why.

A point off the playoffs now that's relevant

I've got to say, this is a strange thread indeed, the logic is odd, of course today's game was relevant.  Every chance to get 3 points on the board is important, surely?

This thread is all too negative and theoretical for my liking.

Celebrate any win as though you've just won the lottery, that's one of my football principles.

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

I've got to say, this is a strange thread indeed, the logic is odd, of course today's game was relevant.  Every chance to get 3 points on the board is important, surely?

This thread is all too negative and theoretical for my liking.

Celebrate any win as though you've just won the lottery, that's one of my football principles.

Let’s hope we get a rollover 

Not sure whether to put this on the match day thread or this but seems more relevant here.

A loss today would have been far more damaging. I think a win at home against Luton would be the kind of result a team just hoping to stay in the league would target so on that criteria then nothing is really that different but a) we broke a run of defeats and b) the performance was better than recently (albeit Luton were abysmal) so I'm gonna be optimistic til New Year's Day at least...Brentford will be interesting!!!

Absolutely not irrelevant. We had to win today as it was vital we ended the losing streak. 

Performance was also greatly improved which was hugely relevant. Although theres still room for improvement, eg we have to stop the way we always sit so deep and counter so slowly. 

Well done Johnson and the boys though. Well deserved.

Once again this league lives up to it's reputation. Middlesborough beating West Brom, Preston losing at home to Reading, Swansea 0-0 at home to Barnsley, Millwall and Cardiff, both winning against top 6 sides. How anyone can say that any game is "irrelevant" or "an easy 3 points against a bottom 3 side" is totally beyond me. The main difference between top and bottom in this league is long term (not short streaks) consistency.

3 hours ago, OrigKingswoodRed said:

IMO here's why.

Absolute state of you.

2 hours ago, RonWalker said:

3 points is the bare minumum. A good performance goes some way towards buying him a bit of breathing space.

What breathing space does he need...he is one point off the play offs, do you honestly think any chairman would be seriously considering his position give our league position?

4 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

What breathing space does he need...he is one point off the play offs, do you honestly think any chairman would be seriously considering his position give our league position?

Probably not, but if we lost a fifth, then a sixth game of the season then maybe, especially playing dire stuff. The fans are definitely teetering more than SL but that’s always the case.

5 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Absolute state of you.

Is that a 21st century insult based on you not being capable of debating a genuine question?

It's ok. 

Most genuine people responded by actually reading the post & realised it was just a question.

Others have stood on their soap boxes to pronounce what they think makes them the bees knees as far as Bristol City fans are concerned, just like I stood on my milk crate in the open end back in the day.

Good luck to all of you ?

Archived