Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

JonDolman

Marley Watkins

I never knew he had a game like that in him, was involved in so much, they couldn't mark him as his movement was great, regularly got into the box to give us a extra striker which was so important , be good to see him get a run now 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Like I have said numerous times, he's a decent player. One of our best players today. Linked up brilliantly with Hunt.

Fairplay to him , a great shift put in today. 

Having Watkins and Fam on that side of pitch gave us an area to go direct to for a change also 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, winsaw said:

I never knew he had a game like that in him, was involved in so much, they couldn't mark him as his movement was great, regularly got into the box to give us a extra striker which was so important , be good to see him get a run now 

He holds up the ball on the right which allows Hunt to get forward.

I remember last season they had something between them, but we rarely saw them both play.

Thought he was bloody good. today. Don't think he's a great player, but if we are going to play Wieman up front he's our best option wide right by a country mile. 

13 minutes ago, winsaw said:

Even when they did get close to him he bulldozed his way through. 
very good game

He was good vs Barnsley and Cardiff yet mocked when he appears on the team sheet today.

I think it’s become ‘cool’ to bash him for some reason. 

He looks a more than useful player to me. His physicality was a welcome change. 

• Like 13
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

He was good vs Barnsley and Cardiff yet mocked when he appears on the team sheet today.

I find it very sad that is becomes cool to mock one of our players. Especially one that gives 100%.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Rather have Watkins in the line-up than O’Dowda personally.

Certainly on this season’s performances, Watkins is making a far better case than COD for inclusion. I was skeptical about his selection today but he put in a good performance.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Only by people who are unable to form their own opinion and seek reassurance from Twitter ‘lads’.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Rather have Watkins in the line-up than O’Dowda personally.

Well, today's Watkins yeah.  Personally I'd go with neither if I was picking the best XI.

15 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Because he came from Barnsley.

• Like 1

We didnt get enough out of Watkins until now. However I have felt for a little while (see earlier pre match posts, if necessary) that he would supply some much needed weight and grit to a light weight midfield and like Taylor would not be easily bullied.

If today’s Watkins can string some similar games together, it might save SL some money!

1 minute ago, Spud55 said:

That makes little sense, mainly fir the fact that we got him for Norwich didn't we? 

We did, but he'd been at Barnsley with LJ prior to that, which some had a problem with.

27 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Someone has to get mocked - it's what many fans HAVE to do. Not many are even capable of changing their opinion either.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I find it very sad that is becomes cool to mock one of our players. 

I never really understood that. He was brought in as a squad player. He has been a good squad player when called upon.  Today he has put forward a case to the management for more minutes. Exactly what a squad player should do. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

He's exactly what we needed today. An older experienced head, that gave the physicality and movement we so needed.

The side looked so much more balanced today because of it.

He defended well and became that third striker in the box when needed. Could easily of had two, because he moved into the right positions.

All of these attributes from him today, freed up other players to play their natural game without fear.

He's not the answer to promotion, but he's certainly the answer to giving energy, positional awareness and physical presence both in the box and midfield.

A fine display of doing the basics very well today.

Edited by spudski
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

He's exactly what we needed today. An older experienced head, that gave the physicality and movement we so needed.

He defended well and became that third striker in the box when needed. Could easily of had two, because he moved into the right positions.

All of these attributes from him today, freed up other players to play their natural game without fear.

He's not the answer to promotion, but he's certainly the answer to giving energy, positional awareness and physical presence both in the box and midfield.

All I'd add to that is, physicality and nouse . He was clever getting away with fouls and getting given fouls, he was strong on the ball and linked well. Not perfect by any means, but he hasn't played for months , which is why he ran out of steam on about 60 minutes. 
I had questioned if he'd ever played football before, after a few early games, but TBF he always did look a goal threat. The Cardiff game he was outstanding, and showed what that physicality and aerial threat is worth. If he's able to , I'd be happy for him to start on NYD.

• Like 2

Its not cool to mock City players - it's pathetic

Watkins, like Fam and Weimann all played really well in different styles and in fluid formations. No wonder Luton couldnt cope with our top 3 - any more than those who write on this forum complaining we cant score, dont know our best team, wont be challenging the top teams.. Blah blah. 

• Like 1

I thought he was excellent today and he was a perfect fit for the team formation. This begs the question, why hasn’t LJ tried this before? (That’s not knocking LJ, just an honest question)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Its not cool to mock City players - it's pathetic

Watkins, like Fam and Weimann all played really well in different styles and in fluid formations. No wonder Luton couldnt cope with our top 3 - any more than those who write on this forum complaining we cant score, dont know our best team, wont be challenging the top teams.. Blah blah. 

We find you in better humour tonight Hampshire , I wish you a happy festive period.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, spudski said:

Completely agree. Think we did a lot of the basics well today and it made a difference. 

Hopefully a few felt a bit of a pillock today having been mocking him / the selection a few hours earlier only to see the whole of AG rise to their feet to cheer him off!

Edited by BRISTOL86

From the looks of the replay the goal went in off his upper arm.  Gave him confidence and he was unlucky not to get a second with a good downward header. 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Completely agree. Think we did a lot of the basics well today and it made a difference. 

Hopefully a few felt a bit of a pillock today having been mocking him / the selection a few hours earlier only to see the whole of AG rise to their feet to cheer him off!

He's more reliable than a few we've played of late.

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

Only by people who are unable to form their own opinion and seek reassurance from Twitter ‘lads’.

Me and @Olé on twitter pre-game:

😀😀😀

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

Played very well. 

mine too

and mine.

I never thought I would ever read it on here let alone post it but he made a real difference today, well played fella. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We find you in better humour tonight Hampshire , I wish you a happy festive period.

Basingstoke is a happy and festive place tonight

2 hours ago, spudski said:

My motm

Me too, I was very surprised Hunt got it over him

• Like 1

Did the job well today, impressed. Elliasson top notch to, only hope LJ saw what we saw, 2 more home games coming up, Luton were probably the easiest for a while, let’s see if LJ does not screw up for at least the next 6 days!

2 hours ago, winsaw said:

I have to agree. Slagged him and LJ off before the game. So happy to be proven wrong.

Really enjoyed his and the teams performance. 

Up The City

Edited by freezer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, spudski said:

I didn't hear it...I sit in the Dullmoan. 😉

So do I 😀

1 minute ago, spudski said:

I didn't hear it...I sit in the Dullmoan. 😉

Robins TV gave it to Fam...and we heard them off mic deciding not to correct it when his name wasn't announced...

...so clearly a number of contenders!