Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

LondonBristolian

LJ Post-Match

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think one as Afobe could yet at least as per the last update as read on here, be available for the last 10-11.

Has to be a good quality one though...Adams, Vydra- or less likely but equally suitable McBurnie, McGoldrick- or of course Nketiah, yes one of these would be a strong loan addition.

I still think we need another option from the bench too. No guarantee Afobe will return, or be fit and in form when he does. Rodri seems unlikely to stay and Semenyo does not seem ready. Diedhiou was great today but I am worried we lack options in case of injury, suspension or things not working out. Our gamble first half of the season was only getting Afobe and we have paid the price at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Let's also not believe that a win over a poor Luton side makes up for the pathetic performances against Millwall, Blackburn, Wednesday and Charlton. Look at the table, we COULD have been closing in on 2nd without that dreadful series of games. 

The performance at Hiillsborough was dour but not pathetic and warranted a worthy point.

  • Like 1
  • Robin 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

For me we just need one quality striker to play alongside Fam with Weimann as back up. I wouldn’t go all in for another striker till the summer, Fam deserves a run alongside a more mobile striker who can benefit from his hold up play.

You can’t get much more mobile than Andi Weimann

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Malvern Red said:

The performance at Hiillsborough was dour but not pathetic and warranted a worthy point.

Each to their own Malvern. Yes, it did deserve a point but it wasn't to the standards we have previously set. I appreciate Wednesday are a good side but we were extremely cautious up there. Maybe we didn't need to be?

I don't know, I'm just a fan. I grouped that performance in with the Millwall, Blackburn and Charlton ones to be honest and they were dreadful, let's not kid ourselves they were anything but.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I'm not fully in the LJ out camp, but to answer your question - Chris Hughton

Lets not forget Luton were terrible

I still think we need to remember that no manager - however good on paper - is a guaranteed success. Chris Hughton is a very good manager and, if he wanted to come here, should be strongly considered if LJ does leave but there are no guarantees at all he would do a better job than LJ and he could very easily join Steve Coppell and SOD for us, Nigel Pearson at Derby, Neil Warnock at Leeds, Karanka at Forest and countless others across the Championship as great appointments on paper that prove to be the wrong appointment in reality.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think one as Afobe could yet at least as per the last update as read on here, be available for the last 10-11.

Has to be a good quality one though...Adams, Vydra- or less likely but equally suitable McBurnie, McGoldrick- or of course Nketiah, yes one of these would be a strong loan addition.

Would be great to get Adobe back. But if we only bring in one striker then we only have 3 if Rodri leaves and Semenyo is loaned out until he returns. And it may take time for him to get back to his best after such a bad injury.

Unless of course Watkins is seen as a striker. But then LJ doesn't seem to fancy him there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

@Hampshire Red my apologies, I take this back. It appears you’re one letter off being a different poster!

Oh, my. You didn't get your Hampshire Red's mixed, did you?

😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Malvern Red said:

The performance at Hiillsborough was dour but not pathetic and warranted a worthy point.

I thought it was awful, and I’m normally one trying to find positives.  It might as well have been attack v defence.  Dour it was not imho.  Yes, we defended well, but we were inept with the ball, the worst I’ve seen us this season.  Wednesday didn’t create many gilt-edged chances, but for many to say a shocking penalty decision cost us a point, although true in the black and white of football, it would’ve been a unanimous points victory for Wednesday without it.

My opinion only. 😀

5 minutes ago, 'Orns said:

Oh, my. You didn't get your Hampshire Red's mixed, did you?

😂

He did

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

We have pretty placid fans compared to many clubs yet the atmosphere is currently quite toxic with tit for tat posts between pro and anti Johnson elements. Nothing you can do about that I'm afraid. 

Was ever thus 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

????

You know......the one who talked a lot but said nothing............:facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Robbored said:

You know......the one who talked a lot but said nothing............:facepalm:

I honestly have no clue what you are talking about? I probably am being slow but can you explain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fordy, no problem - it's unfortunately a common mistake which i'd like to rectify.

Good of you to come on and comment. I've loved today and thinking of those who couldnt see it yet will make up some other trivia to try and take away from a good Saturday (well, Sunday evening)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, 'Orns said:

Oh, my. You didn't get your Hampshire Red's mixed, did you?

😂

I was always taught not to ask a question I already know the answer to. 
 

Just to alleviate any confusion though, it’s the other one you’re best mates with though isn’t it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As one of the firmly LJ-out brigade I'm obviously happy City won today - enjoyed today as much as everyone else, and admittedly partook in one too many pints which I will likely regret at work tomorrow. You can only beat whats in front of you, as they say. 

I think what other City fans (I really wish I wasn't using those terms) are mistaking is that, the "brigade" who want LJ out, such as myself (I don't consider myself anti-LJ, just pro-progression, but the labels have been hinted at already within this thread) , will not bemoan and boo the team and wish us failure, as they seem to wish we did. Its not a bashing contest, we support the same cause.

Myself and others support the team that wears the shirt. Period.

My view is simply that we do not have an 'identity' or style to our play. We have one gameplan and when that doesn't work we flop harder than James Cordon belly first into a paddling pool. Which if stuck to, could cause us to stagnate. 

If I see that improve I have no issue with LJ remaining manager, and we'll be all the better for it, as I'm sure thats the same reservation most who wanted him gone after the last 4 fixtures will have had. 

Now the hope is to see if we can carry the confidence gained into Brentford. That's the real character test - keeping the confidence. 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harry said:

I’m hearing that at least 1 incoming transfer is to be a “significant” signing. 

Any idea if we have something lined up as the window opens? Or will it be the classic ‘we have to wait for our place in the queue’  type situation where we pick someone up on the last week of the window once others make their moves?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harry said:

I’m hearing that at least 1 incoming transfer is to be a “significant” signing. 

Woof.

A forward who's on Palmer's wavelength would be my preference. We shall see.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fuber said:

As one of the firmly LJ-out brigade I'm obviously happy City won today - enjoyed today as much as everyone else, and admittedly partook in one too many pints which I will likely regret at work tomorrow. You can only beat whats in front of you, as they say. 

I think what other City fans (I really wish I wasn't using those terms) are mistaking is that, the "brigade" who want LJ out, such as myself (I don't consider myself anti-LJ, just pro-progression, but the labels have been hinted at already within this thread) , will not bemoan and boo the team and wish us failure, as they seem to wish we did. Its not a bashing contest, we support the same cause.

Myself and others support the team that wears the shirt. Period.

My view is simply that we do not have an 'identity' or style to our play. We have one gameplan and when that doesn't work we flop harder than James Cordon belly first into a paddling pool. Which if stuck to, could cause us to stagnate. 

If I see that improve I have no issue with LJ remaining manager, and we'll be all the better for it, as I'm sure thats the same reservation most who wanted him gone after the last 4 fixtures will have had. 

Now the hope is to see if we can carry the confidence gained into Brentford. That's the real character test - keeping the confidence. 

 

Well said, enjoyed the win but still firmly in the LJ out camp. Don't believe he will achieve the top 6 finish the clubs investment deserves. At least we might have seen the last of him picking COD in cm which has been a factor in poor performances. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I was always taught not to ask a question I already know the answer to. 
 

Just to alleviate any confusion though, it’s the other one you’re best mates with though isn’t it?

Yeah, I was on the verge of agreeing with him for the first time

Then my Hampshire Red radar went off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Dour it was not imho.  Yes, we defended well, but we were inept with the ball, the worst I’ve seen us this season. 

Fair challenge. You’re the stats man but I sense lack of ball retention will cost us a playoff place and I fear a masterclass in this discipline when Brentford visit next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

All those idiots on here who said pre match we need 3strikers-oh did we have 3 scorers today who play up front. 

Yeah, idiots all when one considers our first scorer hit the net for the first time in 15 months, our second scored an ill-deserved pen otherwise threatened the net not once and again squandered his best chance for lack of movement and application. Our third scorer, his second neat finish in a week, averages 5-6 goals per season and saw his other shot nearly hit the corner flag.

Lets shut those idiots up as and when we play a very poor side at home once in a blue moon.

  • Aubergine 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Malvern Red said:

Fair challenge. You’re the stats man but I sense lack of ball retention will cost us a playoff place and I fear a masterclass in this discipline when Brentford visit next.

At Wednesday apart from playing it across the back line we didn’t retain the ball at all.  

I don’t think we set up to play like that, we were just poor, and it was convenient to say we came for a 0-0 and were denied by the ref.

I think you are right. We do need to retain the ball better. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fuber said:

As one of the firmly LJ-out brigade I'm obviously happy City won today - enjoyed today as much as everyone else, and admittedly partook in one too many pints which I will likely regret at work tomorrow. You can only beat whats in front of you, as they say. 

I think what other City fans (I really wish I wasn't using those terms) are mistaking is that, the "brigade" who want LJ out, such as myself (I don't consider myself anti-LJ, just pro-progression, but the labels have been hinted at already within this thread) , will not bemoan and boo the team and wish us failure, as they seem to wish we did. Its not a bashing contest, we support the same cause.

Myself and others support the team that wears the shirt. Period.

My view is simply that we do not have an 'identity' or style to our play. We have one gameplan and when that doesn't work we flop harder than James Cordon belly first into a paddling pool. Which if stuck to, could cause us to stagnate. 

If I see that improve I have no issue with LJ remaining manager, and we'll be all the better for it, as I'm sure thats the same reservation most who wanted him gone after the last 4 fixtures will have had. 

Now the hope is to see if we can carry the confidence gained into Brentford. That's the real character test - keeping the confidence. 

 

I agree with everything in this quote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Malvern Red said:

Fair challenge. You’re the stats man but I sense lack of ball retention will cost us a playoff place and I fear a masterclass in this discipline when Brentford visit next.

Fwiw, our possession stats this season from what I've seen, are on average under 50%.

Granted, possession isn't the be all and end all, but even with yesterday an improvement, I still think we need to be better at controlling the ball, and retaining it. For want of a better phrase, taking care of the ball. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...