IGNORED

A Penny for the Defence

ExiledAjax

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ said post match that with Dasilva playing he lacked height when defending corners and set plays. That’s why Famara is always defending in those situations. 

Watkins is a taller guy and therefore useful when defending set plays etc,etc......plus Watkins had a very decent game yesterday and I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t start against the Bees.

Ok, but as much as I loved the attacking line up and performance yesterday, I would still be worried if he goes with that  line up Wednesday.

15 hours ago, Up The City! said:

He was my motm tbh. Whilst Rowe is good, JD just has that little bit extra quality. It also enables us to play with NE.

I said exactly the same to my mate on the way out. JD was my MOTM too and whilst Rowe is a good player and hasn't really done much wrong, JD is an excellent player and to be blunt a better player than Rowe. 

21 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

The problem is, playing Weimann, Fammy, Eliasson and Watkins against a top side like Brentford could leave us very exposed at the back. I fully expect him to bring in Korey, probably for Watkins .

But then we go back to the exact problem we faced againt Millwall and Blackburn in that there will be absolutely nothing in the opposite flank to Eliasson meaning that Brentford can just isolate him 2/3 on 1 meaning he will not be effective and nullifying one of the most productive parts of our attack. 

If you want the extra man in midfield pull Wieman back and play 4-5-1.

29 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

The problem is, playing Weimann, Fammy, Eliasson and Watkins against a top side like Brentford could leave us very exposed at the back. I fully expect him to bring in Korey, probably for Watkins .

I don't think it should leave us exposed at the back.  There's no reason why those 4 can't track back and sit tight without the ball just like they did yesterday against Brentford.  We played very compact against a Luton side that had a fair amount of possession.  That should bode well for the upcoming Brentford match imo

10 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Ok, but as much as I loved the attacking line up and performance yesterday, I would still be worried if he goes with that  line up Wednesday.

Brentford are a very decent outfit and it’ll be a far tougher game on NYD. 

They’re much more of a threat going forward and stronger defensively. They have the third highest GD in the Championship.

It’ll be interesting to see what LJ goes with - bearing in mind the relatively short recovery time between games. There could well be players with knocks that won’t have fully recovered so right now LJ himself probably doesn’t know who’ll be available.

Jay Dasilva is another outlet from defence. As much as I appreciate what Rowe has done he’s not a great outlet. We’ve been playing with only coming out of defence via Hunt or Pereira on the right. 
Yesterday was none of this passing defender to defender to get it to either Hunt or Pereira in space. Dasilva gives the opposite side to allow us to bring the ball forward on both sides of the pitch. 

28 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

13 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Interesting team selection coming up on Wednesday.  Chris Honor was suggesting a change too, but I think LJ needs to go and look back at what went well yesterday and what Didnt.

Brentford are of course a lovely passing side, but our strengths yesterday (with the ball) was our width, and for once it came down both sides.  So Lee needs to think that if he changes that, do we become one dimensional again or not.

Without the ball, the first half discipline was good.  The team didn’t press heavily, but positionally, forcing Luton into their RB channel.  They did this by making Luton go from left to right, whereupon several things happened:

1. The team all shifted across the pitch with the ball, meaning less yards to run

2. Diedhiou split the right sided defenders, but 60:40, he didn’t over-do it, meaning the ball couldn’t go back left again

3. Our 4 defenders all marked on occasions, meaning our one spare wasn’t a defender, but a midfielder, meaning Luton had no easy pass into the midfield.  When a defender is spare, sometimes two not marking, it means the opposition midfield often have a free nan, and they pass around us.  Williams and Kalas were very good yesterday and not getting lazy and not passing their man onto a midfielder so one of them stays spare

4. We played quite a high line, meaning pressing distances much smaller.

Luton ended up hitting balls from their RB position into our left channel where in the main, Williams and Dasilva had an easy first half.  When in the second half, Diedhiou stopped doing his work, it started to break down, and Luton found holes.

The discipline of this could be done again v Brentford.  They are better passers and good at beating a heavy press, but it doesn’t need to be a heavy press, more a squeeze.

That way, when we have the ball, we have players (Eliasson and Watkins) in good positions to receive and start our attacks.  Rather than them having to start from deep in our half, where Brentford will squeeze.

The other thing yesterday was Williams, chipping passes over Collins out to Hunt.  He’s so capable of doing this, but often we only try to pass on the ground, and passing lanes get blocked.  That made a difference in “getting out from the back” yesterday.

Finally we have to be prepared against Brentford to play the ball longer, in behind their full-backs to gain territory, even if just a throw-in, 40 yards down the pitch, or for their full-back to knock it back to Raya, under pressure to go long, where it then becomes a 60:40 ball in our favour, as we look to pick up scraps.

If we try to match up Brentford, we will struggle.  They are better at THEIR system than we are at THEIRS.  So, we must use the advantages of OUR system, and see how they cope.  No team is gonna like Eliasson trying to pick out a 6’2” right winger hitting the back stick!!

56 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ said post match that with Dasilva playing he lacked height when defending corners and set plays. That’s why Famara is always defending in those situations. 

Watkins is a taller guy and therefore useful when defending set plays etc,etc......plus Watkins had a very decent game yesterday and I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t start against the Bees.

Interesting to hear LJ say on the radio yesterday that when Watkins has simple instructions to follow, he does it very well.

Does this imply that LJ tries to overcomplicate things too much??

I remember at the beginning of the preseason, LJ mentioned he wanted all the attacking players to be fluid in attack. Are we asking them to do things that are just a little too complicated and the players would benefit from a simpler approach? Or do we have a mixture of players who get it, and others who don't??

12 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I remember at the beginning of the preseason, LJ mentioned he wanted all the attacking players to be fluid in attack. Are we asking them to do things that are just a little too complicated and the players would benefit from a simpler approach? Or do we have a mixture of players who get it, and others who don't??

It’s the same any work place - some  ‘get it’  better than others.

Most of us have seen/heard some footballers being interviewed and some can barely string a sentence together whereas others are bright and articulate as LJ is. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting team selection coming up on Wednesday.  Chris Honor was suggesting a change too, but I think LJ needs to go and look back at what went well yesterday and what Didnt.

Brentford are of course a lovely passing side, but our strengths yesterday (with the ball) was our width, and for once it came down both sides.  So Lee needs to think that if he changes that, do we become one dimensional again or not.

Without the ball, the first half discipline was good.  The team didn’t press heavily, but positionally, forcing Luton into their RB channel.  They did this by making Luton go from left to right, whereupon several things happened:

1. The team all shifted across the pitch with the ball, meaning less yards to run

2. Diedhiou split the right sided defenders, but 60:40, he didn’t over-do it, meaning the ball couldn’t go back left again

3. Our 4 defenders all marked on occasions, meaning our one spare wasn’t a defender, but a midfielder, meaning Luton had no easy pass into the midfield.  When a defender is spare, sometimes two not marking, it means the opposition midfield often have a free nan, and they pass around us.  Williams and Kalas were very good yesterday and not getting lazy and not passing their man onto a midfielder so one of them stays spare

4. We played quite a high line, meaning pressing distances much smaller.

Luton ended up hitting balls from their RB position into our left channel where in the main, Williams and Dasilva had an easy first half.  When in the second half, Diedhiou stopped doing his work, it started to break down, and Luton found holes.

The discipline of this could be done again v Brentford.  They are better passers and good at beating a heavy press, but it doesn’t need to be a heavy press, more a squeeze.

That way, when we have the ball, we have players (Eliasson and Watkins) in good positions to receive and start our attacks.  Rather than them having to start from deep in our half, where Brentford will squeeze.

The other thing yesterday was Williams, chipping passes over Collins out to Hunt.  He’s so capable of doing this, but often we only try to pass on the ground, and passing lanes get blocked.  That made a difference in “getting out from the back” yesterday.

Finally we have to be prepared against Brentford to play the ball longer, in behind their full-backs to gain territory, even if just a throw-in, 40 yards down the pitch, or for their full-back to knock it back to Raya, under pressure to go long, where it then becomes a 60:40 ball in our favour, as we look to pick up scraps.

If we try to match up Brentford, we will struggle.  They are better at THEIR system than we are at THEIRS.  So, we must use the advantages of OUR system, and see how they cope.  No team is gonna like Eliasson trying to pick out a 6’2” right winger hitting the back stick!!

Could you be a little bit more specific ?

:yes:

18 hours ago, Lez said:

Like I said those who understand the game will rate him....those who dont understand wont.

I would like to say I know the game having played at a decent level for 15 years and watched 100s of games in the last 20 and whilst I rate Nagy he has been on the periphery of games in recent weeks and isn't as influential in that area as he was earlier in the season.

If he needs a rest then bring in Massengo or Smith. 3 games in 7 days isn't going to help

9 minutes ago, INCRED said:

and whilst I rate Nagy he has been on the periphery of games in recent weeks and isn't as influential in that area as he was earlier in the season.

If he needs a rest then bring in Massengo or Smith. 3 games in 7 days isn't going to help

I would argue that the last thing Nagy needs is a rest. 

He’s new to English football and the hurly burly of the high octane Championship and the more he plays the quicker he’ll become accustomed to it and hopefully be able to beef up whilst he’s at it............:cool2:

58 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He’s new to English football and the hurly burly of the high octane Championship and the more he plays the quicker he’ll become accustomed to it and hopefully be able to beef up whilst he’s at it............:cool2:

But playing 3 games in 7 days is going to get the best out of him? I hope LJ benched him on Wednesday and brings Smith or Massengo in as think we may need fresh legs against Brentford 

18 minutes ago, INCRED said:

But playing 3 games in 7 days is going to get the best out of him? I hope LJ benched him on Wednesday and brings Smith or Massengo in as think we may need fresh legs against Brentford 

These guys train virtually everyday so fitness won’t be an issue. They’re used to performing to a high standard at Failand.

LJ knows what he’s doing and if Nagy is fully fit I expect him to play on NYD.

1 hour ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Defence seems balanced with JD back.

Does anyone know where Peirera is? Is he injured?

Big fan of Jack Hunt and think hes been pushed much harder to improve with PP around.

Just had an odd feeling yesterday that hes been sent back if he isnt injured with Taylor Moore covering right back at times.

I think it’s more a case of we have a large squad, without injuries, and someone has to miss out. Palmer and Pereira missed out yesterday.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Stop it Robbored. I keep agreeing with your posts and it's making me nauseous. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

These guys train virtually everyday so fitness won’t be an issue. They’re used to performing to a high standard at Failand.

I suppose we will just have to see if he is on the team sheet at 2pm Wednesday Robbored!

On 30/12/2019 at 17:06, Robbored said:

Looks like LJ is on the same page as what I thought???

Smith in for Nagy

On 30/12/2019 at 15:40, Robbored said:

LJ thinks not!!

Archived