IGNORED

Weimann - last two goals were Premiership quality

southvillekiddy

5 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

Hindsight is a bloody wonderful thing. Clearly not in the know just trying to have a bit of debate about a City player. This is all just opinion based and i apologise if i have hit a nerve

No nerves with me fella. It seems there are with you. You were the one saying no one wants him replying to a comment You don’t know that. Do You? 

You were the one with the white coat comments earlier. My nerves are just fine.

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I think he’s underrated by many on the forum. If he gets the correct service he can score. He’s never going to be prolific but, paired with the right forward  partner, he will contribute a lot to the team. 

Weimann isn’t underrated my me and more importantly not by LJ who puts AW, Bentley and Brownhill as the first three on the team sheet.

LJ rates Weimann very highly and said in a recent interview that he’d never leave him out..He has everything a manger wants in a front player - vision, energy, stamina and a goal in him. 

He’s an excellent and crucial player for City.

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

No nerves with me fella. It seems there are with you. You were the one saying no one wants him replying to a comment You don’t know that. Do You? 

You were the one with the white coat comments earlier. My nerves are just fine.

I think nobody in the Premier League wants him because if they did then the value i personally think he would go for is very low for a Premier League squad player. My men in white coat comment was tongue in cheek because i don’t think many would of put Watkins in our starting line up. All opinions though.

4 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

I think nobody in the Premier League wants him because if they did then the value i personally think he would go for is very low for a Premier League squad player. My men in white coat comment was tongue in cheek because i don’t think many would of put Watkins in our starting line up. All opinions though.

Agree to disagree. Weimann has the ability to play in the Premier League and did so for Villa for 4-5 seasons. The question is how you play him. I actually think with Afobe up front he would have scored more this season. However 9 goals so far is not bad, there was some link up play with Fam today, and the goal with Hunt was all down to his desire and skill.

40 minutes ago, Jacky Boy said:

Che Adams bagged over 20 goals last year in the championship and has barely had a shot on target.

35 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Long couldn’t hit a barn door with a banjo. Weimann is definitely a better player than Long, although that’s a pretty low bar! 

Bit harsh on both players? Adams has only started one game this season hasn’t he? And Long has scored nearly 70 goals in the premier league ...

... as far as Weimann is concerned - in my opinion he’s the best player we’ve got, he just needs Palmer to be playing behind him again to kick on even more ...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

... as far as Weimann is concerned - in my opinion he’s the best player we’ve got, he just needs Palmer to be playing behind him again to kick on even more ...

This is the great conundrum. No one doubts that Palmer has skill going forward, and was playing in Afobe earlier in the season, plus you would hope he would be the one to see the runs Weimann makes. However it doesn’t look like Palmer is going to be part of the line up without major changes elsewhere, whereas Eliasson looks likely to continue to start. Eliasson is great at crossing the ball but on the break needs to do more and see the runs around him. Today there was a break where he drew the foul as he tried to take the ball on his own, while the best option was to play it forward to Weimann who was running into space further forward and could have run in on goal. No wonder Weimann looks frustrated with some of his team mates at times as they are too slow to pick up on what he is doing ahead of them. Better players would pick him out more often.

15 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Agree to disagree. Weimann has the ability to play in the Premier League and did so for Villa for 4-5 seasons. The question is how you play him. I actually think with Afobe up front he would have scored more this season. However 9 goals so far is not bad, there was some link up play with Fam today, and the goal with Hunt was all down to his desire and skill.

I wasn’t at the game today so can’t comment on that. I think i might have come across as completely anti Weimann which i’m not. He has quality no doubt about it. Not enough to be a Premier League player in my opinion. My 1st post in this thread is why i don’t rate him as highly as others seem too.

1 minute ago, GTFABM said:

He’s not going to go to Liverpool that is clear. However my comment was he was one of five that could make the step on current evidence. Your comment was about Premier League scouts not being a good judge of a footballer as no one wants him which came across as sanctimonious again, ‘not a bit of a debate’

You don’t know who has spoken to who about whom. Why would we sell or entertain Enquiries for our leading scorer and the one of three or so players with Premier League experience unless there was a likelihood of a BIG offer?

Maybe a tongue in cheek comment regarding Watkins but it belies an under lying opinion on Watkins and where he would (not) fit in the side.

I have been going backwards and forwards with another poster on here regarding the lack of power and aggression with our midfield for weeks. @Mr Popodopolous

I would have started him well before today as we have been dominated by blokes who did nothing but put it about a bit.

I agree all opinions, we won and Ill take it!

Have a good rest of the evening GTFABM! (I do mean it)

I dont have a problem with weimann, 9 goals is decent And hes an excellent pro, however when compared against the likes of bowen and ollie watkins, then hes clearly not at that level.

with afobes injury we clearly have space in the squad for another striker, and if we could get someone in it should be an upgrade on fam and weimann. If its not, then theres little point in attempting it, and with our past record of strikers there has to be some doubt as to whether we are able to get what we need

10 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I dont have a problem with weimann, 9 goals is decent And hes an excellent pro, however when compared against the likes of bowen and ollie watkins, then hes clearly not at that level.

with afobes injury we clearly have space in the squad for another striker, and if we could get someone in it should be an upgrade on fam and weimann. If its not, then theres little point in attempting it, and with our past record of strikers there has to be some doubt as to whether we are able to get what we need

“With our past record of strikers”...?

Are you referring to Wilbs, Kodjia, Tammy, Reid...?! 

8 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Missing out on Watkins is another case of the club overlooking what was obvious to anyone who had seen him play, and was if not quite on our doorstep, what should have been within our natural scouting patch. Many on here were touting him as a player we should buy for some time before he moved to Brentford. However I am not sure that we would have got the best out of him, and he has only kicked on this season in part because Maupay went to Brighton. Will he go for big money? Yes. Bigger money than Weimann? Yes because he’s younger. However in Brentford’s team, I dare say Weimann might well have scored more than he has for us the season....

38 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

This is the great conundrum. No one doubts that Palmer has skill going forward, and was playing in Afobe earlier in the season, plus you would hope he would be the one to see the runs Weimann makes. However it doesn’t look like Palmer is going to be part of the line up without major changes elsewhere, whereas Eliasson looks likely to continue to start. Eliasson is great at crossing the ball but on the break needs to do more and see the runs around him. Today there was a break where he drew the foul as he tried to take the ball on his own, while the best option was to play it forward to Weimann who was running into space further forward and could have run in on goal. No wonder Weimann looks frustrated with some of his team mates at times as they are too slow to pick up on what he is doing ahead of them. Better players would pick him out more often.

Great post - totally agree ...

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

....and Baldock 

46 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Come on, we are totally hit and miss with our forward recruiting, in the last few years we have seen engvall and diony, we had rodri on the bench today, weve seen woodrow and eisa and god knows who else being given contracts.

any of us going into january knowing we are looking at strikers would have cause to doubt who might come in looking at those names.

16 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Come on, we are totally hit and miss with our forward recruiting, in the last few years we have seen engvall and diony, we had rodri on the bench today, weve seen woodrow and eisa and god knows who else being given contracts.

any of us going into january knowing we are looking at strikers would have cause to doubt who might come in looking at those names.

To be fair we never really gave Eisa a chance, he's doing pretty well at the moment albeit at a slightly lower level.

Seems like just about anyone can make the step up if they go to Sheffield United! Wilder seems to get loads of championship quality players playing well. So who knows under the right management I guess any of our players could be decent prem players. Wrong manager and team and they wouldn't.

Weimann was good yesterday. I thought having Watkins helped him massively. Weimann loves to run wide, which he didn't seem to do quite so much yesterday, which I'm glad about as I want him linking with Fam if he's up there with him, not running away from him. But when he did run wide, Marley could come inside to take up his position.

I do think Weimann has been very poor recently and I'm so glad he played well yesterday. Diedhiou was very good too and arguably motm. Both linked up best I've seen for a long time. Diedhiou diagonal low pass to Weimann second half - what a ball. 

Fam's hold up play was so good yesterday and unlike recent games, it seemed to actually get us somewhere, rather than excellently holding it up only for someone else to then go and lose the ball!

I didn't read it all, but it doesn't really matter. 

Some good comments, some not so good I would Assume. Fact is FD and AW would be fantastic if they were impact subs and 3rd and 4th choice, pushing two other more formidable strikers. 

But we have a workhorse and the most awkward effective player in the championship.... It ain't all that bad.

What I loved about Weimann against Luton he was dropping deep and picking up pockets of space behind their midfield. He was very good at linking the play and think it allows him to make later runs into the box. Haven’t seen much of that from him but long may it continue. Him and Fam isn’t the greatest partnership as I think they are better grafters than goal scorers but Luton showed how affective they can be together. 

11 hours ago, Bristol_Badger said:

Not sure I get your point.

Just because he’s our top gol scorer does not warrant a starting place.

He should of scored more goals and has missed a fair few opportunities.

1 in 3 is okay. 

My point is that when people want to drop our top goalscorer it seems a bit strange. We all know we need someone who gets more goals than the guys we have right now, but he is doing a good job in the meantime.

8 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Missing out on Watkins is another case of the club overlooking what was obvious to anyone who had seen him play, and was if not quite on our doorstep, what should have been within our natural scouting patch. Many on here were touting him as a player we should buy for some time before he moved to Brentford. However I am not sure that we would have got the best out of him, and he has only kicked on this season in part because Maupay went to Brighton. Will he go for big money? Yes. Bigger money than Weimann? Yes because he’s younger. However in Brentford’s team, I dare say Weimann might well have scored more than he has for us the season....

And yet we have scored more goals than Brentford, despite them scoring 7 in one game.

14 hours ago, marmite said:

Rubbish comment. He is one of the reasons we are progressing.

Totally agree that it was a rubbish comment. However what did Weimann do in the previous four matches. That is what we need to look at in an over all perspective of which there could be various reasons. Lets be honest Luton are not the best and it gave chance for Weimann to play how he wants too and I think other players feed off of his skills.

4 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

Very interesting comment well thought out and presented. 

Because it is, wienman is our best player who get criticised for not scoring at the same level as messi

he is prem quality and and we are lucky to have him that is fact

and no amount of boo boys posts about him will change that 

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Because it is, wienman is our best player who get criticised for not scoring at the same level as messi

he is prem quality and and we are lucky to have him that is fact

and no amount of boo boys posts about him will change that 

I am by no means a boo boy because i see what quality he does have. But don’t see he is Prem quality myself. His movement and work ethic are top class no doubt about that. But nothing else in his game is of that standard to make him top level. 

On the occasions he scores they tend toward high-quality finishes. Problem is he doesn't do it often enough and his conversion rate is poor.

If, as you say, his finish yesterday was Premier standard his shot that nearly took out the corner flag wasn't.

He is where he is for a reason, mid Championship with the pressure off.

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

What I loved about Weimann against Luton he was dropping deep and picking up pockets of space behind their midfield. He was very good at linking the play and think it allows him to make later runs into the box. Haven’t seen much of that from him but long may it continue. Him and Fam isn’t the greatest partnership as I think they are better grafters than goal scorers but Luton showed how affective they can be together. 

Did that a lot v Huddersfield too.

17 hours ago, marmite said:

Rubbish comment. He is one of the reasons we are progressing.

He runs around and points. Amazing. How is he really any upgrade on any of the strikers we’ve had over the years? Even if you forget the quality of Reid, Maynard or Kodjia, look at him v out other strikers and he’s bang average like almost all who’ve come before. And for all those saying he’s Premier League quality I would suggest his career to date begs to differ - or am I missing the real fact of why he’s not made the step back up to the Prem? Surely he would’ve been snapped up by now if he was as good many think? 

Archived