Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

southvillekiddy

Weimann - last two goals were Premiership quality

Brilliant to have Weimann in the team, sets such a great example. Andy has scored two premiership quality goals in his last two games. Against Charlton he showed his mastery of the glancing header and today his brilliant timing and precision finish to find the corner of the net.

• Like 15

Every player has his critics, even Weimann but he was great today, good runs, fabulous finish and he must be so tempted to enter this forum with facts to argue against his critics. At least those who watch him know the positive contribution he makes - top player. 

• Like 2
  • Aubergine 1

I think he’s underrated by many on the forum. If he gets the correct service he can score. He’s never going to be prolific but, paired with the right forward  partner, he will contribute a lot to the team. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Not good enough if we really want to progress.

Rubbish comment. He is one of the reasons we are progressing.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

When he came to us it was clear that he wanted to play in his preferred position up front. If I remember correctly Derby fans were saying when he signed for us that he had been mainly used as a wide player where he was OK but not great. 

Most of the goals he's scored for is have come as part of a front two or with him up top on his own. 

While agree with the points that he's never going to be prolific he is definitely not as useful out wide as part of a front three or as a three behind one lone striker as he is as part of a front two. 

The right peg in the right hole. 

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I think he’s underrated by many on the forum. If he gets the correct service he can score. He’s never going to be prolific but, paired with the right forward  partner, he will contribute a lot to the team. 

Indeed hence why it was such a big loss to lose Afobe early doors. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

He’s probably under rated by me to be honest. For my sins I really struggle to rate the bloke as much as many on here. 

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

Every player has his critics, even Weimann but he was great today, good runs, fabulous finish and he must be so tempted to enter this forum with facts to argue against his critics. At least those who watch him know the positive contribution he makes - top player. 

Wtf does that mean - complete tosh 

• Aubergine 1

Everytime people start to doubt his place in this side, he comes up with performances and goals that show why he is the first name on the teamsheet.

image.png.f9707490d5ad5f22a155b0169ecb8881.png

• Like 4

It’s about time to be fair as he’s been Tosh the 4 games prior to Charlton.

He’s a decent Champ player but if we are looking to get promoted then either him or Fam will need to make way for someone with a bit more quality.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Everytime people start to doubt his place in this side, he comes up with performances and goals that show why he is the first name on the teamsheet.

image.png.f9707490d5ad5f22a155b0169ecb8881.png

Not sure I get your point.

Just because he’s our top gol scorer does not warrant a starting place.

He should of scored more goals and has missed a fair few opportunities.

1 in 3 is okay. 

• Rovers 2

4 minutes ago, Bristol_Badger said:

It’s about time to be fair as he’s been Tosh the 4 games prior to Charlton.

He’s a decent Champ player but if we are looking to get promoted then either him or Fam will need to make way for someone with a bit more quality.

Even if we domt go up I assume we will be looking to offload fam in the summer.

I can see why people might rate him because he buzzes about and gives 100% (which is a phrase i hate because that is the minimum i expect). I think his footballing brain is far far better than his ability. If he had the skill to finish or give the final ball from the positions his very intelligent runs get him into alot of the time he would still be a Premier League player. He plays for us because he lacks that quality in my opinion

Weimann is such an understated player.

Took someone to the game today who doesn't live nearby these days and hadn't watched City for a few years.

He was really really impressed with him and thought he was absolute quality throughout.

58 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

I can see why people might rate him because he buzzes about and gives 100% (which is a phrase i hate because that is the minimum i expect). I think his footballing brain is far far better than his ability. If he had the skill to finish or give the final ball from the positions his very intelligent runs get him into alot of the time he would still be a Premier League player. He plays for us because he lacks that quality in my opinion

Yeah, you could label that at lots of players, but normally the other way around, e.g. if he had a footballing brain, he’d be in the Prem.  I get what you’re saying with Weimann.  His movement is on a different level.  His movement isn’t just for himself, it’s to create space for other.  Sometimes his feet and brain aren’t linked up.

I still see him as one of our better players, and one who’ll be even better if we had better players.  Again, he looked a better player again with Afobe alongside him who made complimentary runs.

He’s on target to get 15+ goals for us.  He’s not playing a role to be our fox in the box, so I’d say it’s pretty impressive he’s got 9 already, plus his general contribution to his play.

Not everyone is gonna get him, but I really rate him.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, you could label that at lots of players, but normally the other way around, e.g. if he had a footballing brain, he’d be in the Prem.  I get what you’re saying with Weimann.  His movement is on a different level.  His movement isn’t just for himself, it’s to create space for other.  Sometimes his feet and brain aren’t linked up.

I still see him as one of our better players, and one who’ll be even better if we had better players.  Again, he looked a better player again with Afobe alongside him who made complimentary runs.

He’s on target to get 15+ goals for us.  He’s not playing a role to be our fox in the box, so I’d say it’s pretty impressive he’s got 9 already, plus his general contribution to his play.

Not everyone is gonna get him, but I really rate him.

I am probably a bit harsh on him. He in one of our better players not one of our better footballers. I think he is crucial to how we play but is not the bobby reid replacement everyone thought he would be. But if he was then he would be gone by now.

• Like 2

Weimann makes so many good runs that aren’t picked out by our players. He is definitely a player who would achieve even more with players on his wavelength. He really wanted that 3rd goal today and the flick finish was absolute class.

I will admit he hasn’t always got the best shooting boots but should we get promoted with this group of players, he is one of the few who would cut it at Premiership level, as long as he received the right kind of service. He is also probably the fittest player we have. Around where I sit we call him “Duracell bunny” because he never stops running.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Weimann makes so many good runs that aren’t picked out by our players. He is definitely a player who would achieve even more with players on his wavelength. He really wanted that 3rd goal today and the flick finish was absolute class.

I will admit he hasn’t always got the best shooting boots but should we get promoted with this group of players, he is one of the few who would cut it at Premiership level, as long as he received the right kind of service. He is also probably the fittest player we have. Around where I sit we call him “Duracell bunny” because he never stops running.

Weimann hasn’t played Premier League football since 2015 and there is a reason for that. If we get promoted whilst he is still with us and he is in our 1st team then something has gone seriously wrong. 

• Rovers 2

1 minute ago, GTFABM said:

Weimann hasn’t played Premier League football since 2015 and there is a reason for that. If we get promoted whilst he is still with us and he is in our 1st team then something has gone seriously wrong. 

There are a number of players shining in the Premier League this season who were in the Championship last season. No reason why Weimann could not play at that level again in the right formation.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dr Balls said:

There are a number of players shining in the Premier League this season who were in the Championship last season. No reason why Weimann could not play at that level again in the right formation.

Agree to disagree 

2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Massive step up, I have to watch the Saints (reluctantly) more than my beloved City these days due to location and my Son's love of the Saints.

Che Adams bagged over 20 goals last year in the championship and has barely had a shot on target.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Weimann

The bloke is excellent. We got a bargain. Anyone that thinks he’s not among five players that could easily play in the Premier League in the right side is not a very good judge of a football player.

So since 2015 every manager/scout/whoever buys players in the premier league is ‘not a very good judge of a football player’?

1 minute ago, Jacky Boy said:

Massive step up, I have to watch the Saints (reluctantly) more than my beloved City these days due to location and my Son's love of the Saints.

Che Adams bagged over 20 goals last year in the championship and has barely had a shot on target.

Che Adams has been unlucky not to get many starts for Southampton. it doesn’t help that Ings has been fsntastic for them, while I have no idea why Hassenhutl picks Shane Long ahead of Adams. Long couldn’t hit a barn door with a banjo. Weimann is definitely a better player than Long, although that’s a pretty low bar! 

1 minute ago, Dr Balls said:

Che Adams has been unlucky not to get many starts for Southampton. it doesn’t help that Ings has been fsntastic for them, while I have no idea why Hassenhutl picks Shane Long ahead of Adams. Long couldn’t hit a barn door with a banjo. Weimann is definitely a better player than Long, although that’s a pretty low bar!

Can't disagree that Weimann would-be an improvement on Long, unfortunately neither are Prem Quality in my opinion.

Stand out players are JD, Massengo, Eliasson and a fully fit Nagy.

19 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

So since 2015 every manager/scout/whoever buys players in the premier league is ‘not a very good judge of a football player’?

Yes earlier today you told me that the men in white coats would come and get me because I thought pre match we should have been playing Watkins in a light weight midfield! So I can tell you're not a judge of a player or a team! 

I said in the right team, he’s an excellent player and we are lucky to have him...We are. To what extent Enquiries have been made for Weimann from other clubs you will have to ask LJ or MA, but being as we only have two forwards and Weimann is top scorer, who knows if we would sell, clearly you are ITK on that one and that hasn’t happened? Care to elucidate what else you know?

Edited by REDOXO

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yes earlier today you told me that the men in white coats would come and get me because I thought pre match we should have been playing Watkins in a light weight midfield! So I can tell you're not a judge of a player or a team! 

I said in the right team, he’s an excellent player and we are lucky to have him...We are. To what extent Enquiries have been made for Weimann from other clubs you will have to ask LJ or MA, but being as we only have two forwards and Weimann is top scorer, who knows if we would sell, clearly you are ITK on that one and that hasn’t happened? Care to elucidate? 

Hindsight is a bloody wonderful thing. Clearly not in the know just trying to have a bit of debate about a City player. This is all just opinion based and i apologise if i have hit a nerve

5 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

Hindsight is a bloody wonderful thing. Clearly not in the know just trying to have a bit of debate about a City player. This is all just opinion based and i apologise if i have hit a nerve

No nerves with me fella. It seems there are with you. You were the one saying no one wants him replying to a comment You don’t know that. Do You? 

You were the one with the white coat comments earlier. My nerves are just fine.

Edited by REDOXO

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Weimann isn’t underrated my me and more importantly not by LJ who puts AW, Bentley and Brownhill as the first three on the team sheet.

LJ rates Weimann very highly and said in a recent interview that he’d never leave him out..He has everything a manger wants in a front player - vision, energy, stamina and a goal in him. 

He’s an excellent and crucial player for City.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

No nerves with me fella. It seems there are with you. You were the one saying no one wants him replying to a comment You don’t know that. Do You? 

You were the one with the white coat comments earlier. My nerves are just fine.

I think nobody in the Premier League wants him because if they did then the value i personally think he would go for is very low for a Premier League squad player. My men in white coat comment was tongue in cheek because i don’t think many would of put Watkins in our starting line up. All opinions though.

4 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

I think nobody in the Premier League wants him because if they did then the value i personally think he would go for is very low for a Premier League squad player. My men in white coat comment was tongue in cheek because i don’t think many would of put Watkins in our starting line up. All opinions though.

Agree to disagree. Weimann has the ability to play in the Premier League and did so for Villa for 4-5 seasons. The question is how you play him. I actually think with Afobe up front he would have scored more this season. However 9 goals so far is not bad, there was some link up play with Fam today, and the goal with Hunt was all down to his desire and skill.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jacky Boy said:

35 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Long couldn’t hit a barn door with a banjo. Weimann is definitely a better player than Long, although that’s a pretty low bar! 

Bit harsh on both players? Adams has only started one game this season hasn’t he? And Long has scored nearly 70 goals in the premier league ...

... as far as Weimann is concerned - in my opinion he’s the best player we’ve got, he just needs Palmer to be playing behind him again to kick on even more ...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

... as far as Weimann is concerned - in my opinion he’s the best player we’ve got, he just needs Palmer to be playing behind him again to kick on even more ...

This is the great conundrum. No one doubts that Palmer has skill going forward, and was playing in Afobe earlier in the season, plus you would hope he would be the one to see the runs Weimann makes. However it doesn’t look like Palmer is going to be part of the line up without major changes elsewhere, whereas Eliasson looks likely to continue to start. Eliasson is great at crossing the ball but on the break needs to do more and see the runs around him. Today there was a break where he drew the foul as he tried to take the ball on his own, while the best option was to play it forward to Weimann who was running into space further forward and could have run in on goal. No wonder Weimann looks frustrated with some of his team mates at times as they are too slow to pick up on what he is doing ahead of them. Better players would pick him out more often.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Agree to disagree. Weimann has the ability to play in the Premier League and did so for Villa for 4-5 seasons. The question is how you play him. I actually think with Afobe up front he would have scored more this season. However 9 goals so far is not bad, there was some link up play with Fam today, and the goal with Hunt was all down to his desire and skill.

I wasn’t at the game today so can’t comment on that. I think i might have come across as completely anti Weimann which i’m not. He has quality no doubt about it. Not enough to be a Premier League player in my opinion. My 1st post in this thread is why i don’t rate him as highly as others seem too.

1 minute ago, GTFABM said:

He’s not going to go to Liverpool that is clear. However my comment was he was one of five that could make the step on current evidence. Your comment was about Premier League scouts not being a good judge of a footballer as no one wants him which came across as sanctimonious again, ‘not a bit of a debate’

You don’t know who has spoken to who about whom. Why would we sell or entertain Enquiries for our leading scorer and the one of three or so players with Premier League experience unless there was a likelihood of a BIG offer?

Maybe a tongue in cheek comment regarding Watkins but it belies an under lying opinion on Watkins and where he would (not) fit in the side.

I have been going backwards and forwards with another poster on here regarding the lack of power and aggression with our midfield for weeks. @Mr Popodopolous

I would have started him well before today as we have been dominated by blokes who did nothing but put it about a bit.

I agree all opinions, we won and Ill take it!

Have a good rest of the evening GTFABM! (I do mean it)

I dont have a problem with weimann, 9 goals is decent And hes an excellent pro, however when compared against the likes of bowen and ollie watkins, then hes clearly not at that level.

with afobes injury we clearly have space in the squad for another striker, and if we could get someone in it should be an upgrade on fam and weimann. If its not, then theres little point in attempting it, and with our past record of strikers there has to be some doubt as to whether we are able to get what we need

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I dont have a problem with weimann, 9 goals is decent And hes an excellent pro, however when compared against the likes of bowen and ollie watkins, then hes clearly not at that level.

with afobes injury we clearly have space in the squad for another striker, and if we could get someone in it should be an upgrade on fam and weimann. If its not, then theres little point in attempting it, and with our past record of strikers there has to be some doubt as to whether we are able to get what we need

“With our past record of strikers”...?

Are you referring to Wilbs, Kodjia, Tammy, Reid...?! 

8 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Missing out on Watkins is another case of the club overlooking what was obvious to anyone who had seen him play, and was if not quite on our doorstep, what should have been within our natural scouting patch. Many on here were touting him as a player we should buy for some time before he moved to Brentford. However I am not sure that we would have got the best out of him, and he has only kicked on this season in part because Maupay went to Brighton. Will he go for big money? Yes. Bigger money than Weimann? Yes because he’s younger. However in Brentford’s team, I dare say Weimann might well have scored more than he has for us the season....

38 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

This is the great conundrum. No one doubts that Palmer has skill going forward, and was playing in Afobe earlier in the season, plus you would hope he would be the one to see the runs Weimann makes. However it doesn’t look like Palmer is going to be part of the line up without major changes elsewhere, whereas Eliasson looks likely to continue to start. Eliasson is great at crossing the ball but on the break needs to do more and see the runs around him. Today there was a break where he drew the foul as he tried to take the ball on his own, while the best option was to play it forward to Weimann who was running into space further forward and could have run in on goal. No wonder Weimann looks frustrated with some of his team mates at times as they are too slow to pick up on what he is doing ahead of them. Better players would pick him out more often.

Great post - totally agree ...

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

....and Baldock 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Come on, we are totally hit and miss with our forward recruiting, in the last few years we have seen engvall and diony, we had rodri on the bench today, weve seen woodrow and eisa and god knows who else being given contracts.

any of us going into january knowing we are looking at strikers would have cause to doubt who might come in looking at those names.

16 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Come on, we are totally hit and miss with our forward recruiting, in the last few years we have seen engvall and diony, we had rodri on the bench today, weve seen woodrow and eisa and god knows who else being given contracts.

any of us going into january knowing we are looking at strikers would have cause to doubt who might come in looking at those names.

To be fair we never really gave Eisa a chance, he's doing pretty well at the moment albeit at a slightly lower level.

Seems like just about anyone can make the step up if they go to Sheffield United! Wilder seems to get loads of championship quality players playing well. So who knows under the right management I guess any of our players could be decent prem players. Wrong manager and team and they wouldn't.

Weimann was good yesterday. I thought having Watkins helped him massively. Weimann loves to run wide, which he didn't seem to do quite so much yesterday, which I'm glad about as I want him linking with Fam if he's up there with him, not running away from him. But when he did run wide, Marley could come inside to take up his position.

I do think Weimann has been very poor recently and I'm so glad he played well yesterday. Diedhiou was very good too and arguably motm. Both linked up best I've seen for a long time. Diedhiou diagonal low pass to Weimann second half - what a ball. 

Fam's hold up play was so good yesterday and unlike recent games, it seemed to actually get us somewhere, rather than excellently holding it up only for someone else to then go and lose the ball!

I didn't read it all, but it doesn't really matter. 

Some good comments, some not so good I would Assume. Fact is FD and AW would be fantastic if they were impact subs and 3rd and 4th choice, pushing two other more formidable strikers. 

But we have a workhorse and the most awkward effective player in the championship.... It ain't all that bad.

• Like 1

What I loved about Weimann against Luton he was dropping deep and picking up pockets of space behind their midfield. He was very good at linking the play and think it allows him to make later runs into the box. Haven’t seen much of that from him but long may it continue. Him and Fam isn’t the greatest partnership as I think they are better grafters than goal scorers but Luton showed how affective they can be together. 

11 hours ago, Bristol_Badger said:

Not sure I get your point.

Just because he’s our top gol scorer does not warrant a starting place.

He should of scored more goals and has missed a fair few opportunities.

1 in 3 is okay. 

My point is that when people want to drop our top goalscorer it seems a bit strange. We all know we need someone who gets more goals than the guys we have right now, but he is doing a good job in the meantime.

Edited by Port Said Red

8 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Missing out on Watkins is another case of the club overlooking what was obvious to anyone who had seen him play, and was if not quite on our doorstep, what should have been within our natural scouting patch. Many on here were touting him as a player we should buy for some time before he moved to Brentford. However I am not sure that we would have got the best out of him, and he has only kicked on this season in part because Maupay went to Brighton. Will he go for big money? Yes. Bigger money than Weimann? Yes because he’s younger. However in Brentford’s team, I dare say Weimann might well have scored more than he has for us the season....

And yet we have scored more goals than Brentford, despite them scoring 7 in one game.

12 hours ago, KevP said:

The finish looks even more skillful having just watched it on the highlights....sublime.

Think he is Austrian Kev.