IGNORED

Section 82

And Its Smith

Bounce around is getting a bit dated now.. if it needs to continue change something because it does look embarrassing.. Ashton gate hasn't got a decent terrace( A kop) I think the atmosphere is awful.. Sorry to say but it comes from the club to create it through PA but that's naff!! The entire atmosphere needs working on top to bottom..

I'm in S82 and never boo other stands after bouncing, in fact I always applaud. The booing has reduced recently - so hope this trend will continue.

I liked the song to the tune of Rotterdam (or anywhere) today, but couldn't pick out all of the lyrics. Did the song emanate from the Beautiful South (stand)? Please enlighten me with the lyrics.

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

It’s not a sining section, it’s a standing section. City can’t call it a standing section because standing isn’t allowed. People go there because they want to stand. 

Tickets for the popular 'sining' section (spelt incorrectly btw) are only available direct from @Rudolf Hucker personally. He'll tell you where and when with a nudge and a wink at the appropriate time upon completion of ticket confirmation. 

9 hours ago, RedDave said:

Can anyone who sits there help me? Why do fans choose to be in that area and then not sing? 

Seems a weird thing to do to me. Would have thought if one wanted to sing they would do for majority of game. Very quiet today 

Agreed - said it many times but I also think having that area physically as far away from the away fans as possible has killed the atmosphere.

There needs to be that needle and interaction with the away support to act as stimulus. I’ve got no doubt that if S82 were in Dolman A/B the atmosphere in the entire ground would improve hugely.

1. The booing is a piss take and in jest (and makes me laugh). Funny yesterday when the South Stand ‘booed’ the singing section - don’t get why people can’t see this as banter.

2. It is the singing section and not S82. They are a group within the section.

3. The support yesterday was fantastic from the first whistle and was maintained all through the first half so not understanding any criticism. Second half was flatter but we were coasting on the pitch so no real surprise we had the same off the pitch.

The positive support (and the early goal) meant all fears of a toxic environment were quashed and I thank the singing section for that.

33 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

Ok seems strange to respond to a question about specifically a singing section with that question.

I have friends who smoke so I sit outside with them so they can. Using your logic I should take up smoking. Also where is it specifically stated that  S82 is reserved for singers only ?

18 minutes ago, Meh said:

1. The booing is a piss take and in jest (and makes me laugh). Funny yesterday when the South Stand ‘booed’ the singing section - don’t get why people can’t see this as banter.

2. It is the singing section and not S82. They are a group within the section.

3. The support yesterday was fantastic from the first whistle and was maintained all through the first half so not understanding any criticism. Second half was flatter but we were coasting on the pitch so no real surprise we had the same off the pitch.

The positive support (and the early goal) meant all fears of a toxic environment were quashed and I thank the singing section for that.

Yes, I remarked upon the warmth of the crowd before the game, to the team as they came out and warmed up, this being a team that had lost four on the trot, dropping from 4th to 10th, and that has generally stunk the place out at home all season.

It wasn't wild enthusiasm - no shit Sherlock - but it was warm, welcoming and just right for the team to make a positive start, not unlike the soft, limited opposition yesterday. 

Pretty much every game the crowd greet the team like this, with a bit of roar at kick off, then watch as we slump into a slumber, on the pitch and off.

It's up to the eleven blokes being paid thousands a week to run around a bit, pass the ball to each other, and shoot at the opposition goal, show some spirit and vigour, and then those of us that pay hundreds each season (or perhaps £30 or £40 on the day) to watch them will respond with (some) support, maybe even some noise/enthusiasm.

That's how it is nowadays. 

45 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I have friends who smoke so I sit outside with them so they can. Using your logic I should take up smoking. Also where is it specifically stated that  S82 is reserved for singers only ?

It probably isn’t specifically stated thats it’s a singing area but i have come to know it as that. I think it’s where fans who want to drum up atmosphere go in the main (not all i agree). The most obvious way to drum up atmosphere is with a few chants and songs so would think the majority in there would do that but it seems thats probably not the case. 

10 hours ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

I'm in S82 and never boo other stands after bouncing, in fact I always applaud. The booing has reduced recently - so hope this trend will continue.

I liked the song to the tune of Rotterdam (or anywhere) today, but couldn't pick out all of the lyrics. Did the song emanate from the Beautiful South (stand)? Please enlighten me with the lyrics.

If standing by the people singing it you can't make out the lyrics, not sure the rest of the stadium will be able to help!

52 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Yes, I remarked upon the warmth of the crowd before the game, to the team as they came out and warmed up, this being a team that had lost four on the trot, dropping from 4th to 10th, and that has generally stunk the place out at home all season.

It wasn't wild enthusiasm - no shit Sherlock - but it was warm, welcoming and just right for the team to make a positive start, not unlike the soft, limited opposition yesterday. 

Pretty much every game the crowd greet the team like this, with a bit of roar at kick off, then watch as we slump into a slumber, on the pitch and off.

Very positive and loud around me while the teams were warming up yesterday - I could see and hear the fans in my section (Lower Dolman) really roaring the players on.

Really up for it, but I doubt the players could hear it over the ridiculously loud tannoy music though.

The club should shut the hell up with their own manufactured 'atmosphere building' crap and let the fans get on with it.

Disheartening for the fans who want to make a big effort to show their support - and that was alot pre match yesterday - to know they're being largely drowned out.

22 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Very positive and loud around me while the teams were warming up yesterday - I could see and hear the fans in my section (Lower Dolman) really roaring the players on.

Really up for it, but I doubt the players could hear it over the ridiculously loud tannoy music though.

The club should shut the hell up with their own manufactured 'atmosphere building' crap and let the fans get on with it.

Disheartening for the fans who want to make a big effort to show their support - and that was alot pre match yesterday - to know they're being largely drowned out.

Completely agree with this the music before kick off kills any kind of atmosphere. Should be turned off to let the atmosphere build naturally.  

This might not be popular but I have always been disappointed by the noise at AG where I’ve been going for 60 years.

My very simple theory is that Bristolians are generally quite reserved and not fond of letting themselves go. Consequently, the noise level at AG is minimal most of the time. As our supporters are generally passive, quiet and not comfortable singing.

3 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

This might not be popular but I have always been disappointed by the noise at AG where I’ve been going for 60 years.

My very simple theory is that Bristolians are generally quite reserved and not fond of letting themselves go. Consequently, the noise level at AG is minimal most of the time. As our supporters are generally passive, quiet and not comfortable singing.

In my opinion home atmosphere at AG is generally better than most clubs. We’re too hard on ourselves in that regard. The club cocked it up by placing the ‘singing section’ as far away from the away support as possible and it’s too late to do much about it now.

The ‘Bristolians are generally quite reserved’ thing is a myth - society is too homogenous these days for that to hold weight anymore. Maybe 40 years ago.

13 hours ago, GTFABM said:

People should ‘sit’ in my row of the Dolman then. I swear i spend more time on my feet getting up for people to come and go from the concourse. 

my god i must be getting old.

Thats why I moved to the South Stand, better bladders there 

13 hours ago, kivsy said:

Me and my lad go in there , always singing, although not many seem to , used to be stickers for sale readily , lots of flags and twopoles , for big games even a display .

ive tried to do my bit buying stickers , scarves, t shirts , the annual online fundraiser 

however I suppose you can’t make people sing , or come into section82 for cheaper tickets. Or force people out of the concourse after half time ! 

I appreciate the lads efforts thus far , but it’s no wall of red like I imagined when I stated going in there , sadly for my lad who loves it in there I might switch stands so I can get a good view of the game ! 

The club have made it difficult for them and it now looks like the club have got what they’ve wanted all along , our season ticket money months in advance and passive fans who just sit there 

I’ve bought hundreds of the stickers but still await the release of the album, I’ve lots of swaps if anyone wants to trade.

1 hour ago, Red94 said:

Completely agree with this the music before kick off kills any kind of atmosphere. Should be turned off to let the atmosphere build naturally.  

Absolutely agree, its bloody deafening and takes away any atmosphere there is, cant even hold a conversation with my mate about the team etc.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

In my opinion home atmosphere at AG is generally better than most clubs. We’re too hard on ourselves in that regard. The club cocked it up by placing the ‘singing section’ as far away from the away support as possible and it’s too late to do much about it now.

Unsure the club (or might that be the mysterious all seeing but never seen SAG) are or were keen on the risk. Remember Swansea at home in February? 

That said, other clubs seem to manage home and away fans same stand, a few lines of stewards, bolstered by police and SIA where necessary. Feels like overkill a bit. 

I think this simply reflects the changing attitudes in football - with VAR soon no-one will celebrate or chant until they are sure of a positive decision.

The all pervasive betting means people are glued to their phones - chaps front of me are always looking to place in game bets on corners etc - they can't look up to sing.

It's not until the TV companies start complaining that their arm chair viewers prefer a genuine atmosphere that I think the clubs will really try and address this matter, for example, you shouldn't be tucked away in the corner just because you want to sing - watching the game is just as (more) important for those that feel passionately enough to sing!

Archived