IGNORED

Section 82

And Its Smith

5 hours ago, Meh said:

1. The booing is a piss take and in jest (and makes me laugh). Funny yesterday when the South Stand ‘booed’ the singing section - don’t get why people can’t see this as banter.

2. It is the singing section and not S82. They are a group within the section.

3. The support yesterday was fantastic from the first whistle and was maintained all through the first half so not understanding any criticism. Second half was flatter but we were coasting on the pitch so no real surprise we had the same off the pitch.

The positive support (and the early goal) meant all fears of a toxic environment were quashed and I thank the singing section for that.

I sit in s18. I can hardly make out what s82 are singing half the time, all I hear is a drum banging and some repetitive Forza song that fails to catch on in the other stands, in fact I think it fails to catch on in other stands also. Every game there seems to be a 'new' Forza song that no one knows and those singing in and banging the drum along to it are persistent in trying to get it to catch on.

People might not like to hear this but its these songs that are killing the atmosphere, they ain't going to spread around the ground like traditional songs do. The South Stand were giving it ago yesterday but everytime they tried they got drowned out by the mundane Forza crap and the drum banging. It's been a while since I've heard songs such as "we're by far the greatest team" you know, songs that the whole ground can sing to? 

When we get a corner, its traditional for a shout of come on you redsss, not these days tho, it's just some high tempo drum bashing along to a Forza song and it kills the atmosphere. 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Unsure the club (or might that be the mysterious all seeing but never seen SAG) are or were keen on the risk. Remember Swansea at home in February? 

That said, other clubs seem to manage home and away fans same stand, a few lines of stewards, bolstered by police and SIA where necessary. Feels like overkill a bit. 

Exactly - we've agreed on this for years but as we know, it seems the club/SAG are totally safety first and very cautious concerning things like this. They don't really care if it negatively impacts the atmosphere or not. From the perspective of their objectives, I guess that's reasonable - a shame though. 

The signing section is poorly situated within AG - it should have been located directly behind the SS goal before the season cards were sold.

Now those who have seats in that area aren’t likely to agree to relocating. 

Could have been a deliberate plan by the club not to put them there................:dunno:

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The signing section is poorly situated within AG - it should have been located directly behind the SS goal before the season cards were sold.

Could have been a deliberate plan by the club not to put them there................:dunno:

Best thing they could've done was had home fans behind both goals, with the away fans in the corner adjacent to the nosier end. That could've been the Atyeo or the SS. Too late to plan for that now unfortunately. Something clearly not considered, perhaps deliberately, during the redevelopment planning. 

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Best thing they could've done was had home fans behind both goals, with the away fans in the corner adjacent to the nosier end. That could've been the Atyeo or the SS. Too late to plan for that now unfortunately. Something clearly not considered, perhaps deliberately, during the redevelopment planning. 

The police take a dim view of home and away fans being in close proximity to each other for obvious reasons and the reason the away fans are located in the Atyeo is two fold - I assume.

1) because it enables the stewards/police to keep the away fans there until the home fans have vacated AG.

2) it’s easy to allow them to exit once AG is empty.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The police take a dim view of home and away fans being in close proximity to each other for obvious reasons and the reason the away fans are located in the Atyeo is two fold - I assume.

1) because it enables the stewards/police to keep the away fans there until the home fans have vacated AG.

2) it’s easy to allow them to exit once AG is empty.

Yeah of course, amazed how other prem clubs with plenty of rivals manage to segregate home and away fans with a line of stewards but we can't manage it at AG though. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah of course, amazed how other prem clubs with plenty of rivals manage to segregate home and away fans with a line of stewards but we can't manage it at AG though. 

You can point the blame at A&S police for that. 

They know the upcoming fixtures as we do and make decisions about the likelihood of potential problems. Clubs like Millwall, Leeds, Cardiff and Swansea for example......

I was surprised yesterday to see the old bill out on Ashton Rd tho. I’m not aware of any history between us at Luton.

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

I sit in s18. I can hardly make out what s82 are singing half the time, all I hear is a drum banging and some repetitive Forza song that fails to catch on in the other stands, in fact I think it fails to catch on in other stands also. Every game there seems to be a 'new' Forza song that no one knows and those singing in and banging the drum along to it are persistent in trying to get it to catch on.

People might not like to hear this but its these songs that are killing the atmosphere, they ain't going to spread around the ground like traditional songs do. The South Stand were giving it ago yesterday but everytime they tried they got drowned out by the mundane Forza crap and the drum banging. It's been a while since I've heard songs such as "we're by far the greatest team" you know, songs that the whole ground can sing to? 

When we get a corner, its traditional for a shout of come on you redsss, not these days tho, it's just some high tempo drum bashing along to a Forza song and it kills the atmosphere. 

These songs get sung as well but the rest of the ground definitely don’t join in.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

You can point the blame at A&S police for that. 

They know the upcoming fixtures as we do and make decisions about the likelihood of potential problems. Clubs like Millwall, Leeds, Cardiff and Swansea for example......

I was surprised yesterday to see the old bill out on Ashton Rd tho. I’m not aware of any history between us at Luton.

Mounted police aswell mind!

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

All after their slice of the (overtime) pie...?

Mind you in the game in October, there was some chanting at Luton- perhaps it was off the back of that. Stlll seemed unnecessarily high though.

Overtime pie? You're having a laugh. Avon and Somerset police force can't afford to pay overtime. I know your comments made in jest but it couldn't be further from the truth. 

You actually thing any policeman ( except Julie) would choose to be working at a football match? The answers no! 

13 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Overtime pie? You're having a laugh. Avon and Somerset police force can't afford to pay overtime. I know your comments made in jest but it couldn't be further from the truth. 

You actually thing any policeman ( except Julie) would choose to be working at a football match? The answers no! 

Overtime quip aside, is policing the football so bad?

I'm not talking monetarily here, but not a bad gig? Usually isn't much trouble these days. Plus a police officer might like football!

I don't really go in for the overtime theory but I do recall 3 years ago or 3 seasons ago, vs Reading at the start of 2017, quite a strikingly high police presence. During LJ's record losing run!

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Overtime quip aside, is policing the football so bad?

I'm not talking monetarily here, but not a bad gig? Usually isn't much trouble these days. Plus a police officer might like football!

I don't really go in for the overtime theory but I do recall 3 years ago or 3 seasons ago, vs Reading at the start of 2017, quite a strikingly high police presence. During LJ's record losing run!

Policing the football is so bad because that's not exactly why people choose to become policeman !! Also there is nothing worse policing a football match if it's the team you support....stuck outside in Ashton park for example!!

Believe me there are thousands of hours of unpaid overtime in a+s , if every hour worked over contracted hours was paid it would fold. 

18 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Policing the football is so bad because that's not exactly why people choose to become policeman !! Also there is nothing worse policing a football match if it's the team you support....stuck outside in Ashton park for example!!

Believe me there are thousands of hours of unpaid overtime in a+s , if every hour worked over contracted hours was paid it would fold. 

Can be luck of the draw...at a bit of a risk game, being in that corner between the Dolman and Atyeo isn't the worst spot!

Like I say, I'm not really suggesting it for the money- but the big presence did puzzle me vs Reading at the start of 2017. Perhaps less so yesterday!

18 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Expand it. I feel awkward making noise in the south stand. Would happily move across and get involved. 

I’m all for an enlarged area, but it’s the club that’s put into the corner. 

I know that we have not got Safe-standing but this could help in the long run. 

In the old days it was easy to keep it in the middle of the stand as size of the person dictated your place on the Terrance. 

People have chosen to sit in the middle for a view but don’t want it to be like the old days. Also when this area of the old East end was in full flow other parts of the ground would join in. The crowds were much smaller then but the atmosphere was better. 

8 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Can I take it from this that you are not a fan of the Forza songs or the drums then?

Expansion will of course partly and maybe more than this depend on the SAG. 

The other issue though of course is now that the South Stand has a high % of ST Holders, you can't expand without displacement. That said, I dare say a % of ST Holders in the South Stand would like an expansion of Singing Section. Fans survey? 

The third aspect is of course elsewhere. E28 aka Dolman G and N in the past any ideas of ratio of St to non ST holders? Or E34- in other words A and H. Scope for expansion into these?

20 hours ago, redsapper said:

I’m all for an enlarged area, but it’s the club that’s put into the corner. 

I know that we have not got Safe-standing but this could help in the long run. 

In the old days it was easy to keep it in the middle of the stand as size of the person dictated your place on the Terrance. 

People have chosen to sit in the middle for a view but don’t want it to be like the old days. Also when this area of the old East end was in full flow other parts of the ground would join in. The crowds were much smaller then but the atmosphere was better. 

The problem these days is that when the ground was built you have some Acoustics expert whose job it is to prevent excessive sound travel etc. In the old days the echo around the stadium when everyone started cheering or singing gave it an atmosphere sadly lacking today. Sign of the times regrettably.

20 hours ago, Spoons said:

Well i bet the coppers hate standing around fist clenched waiting to start hitting football fans or getting in to stadium and watching match for free whilst getting time and half the football clubs pay for the police not the police budgets 

Shouldnt be at football matches anyway should be catching sex offenders and rapists instead

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

The problem these days is that when the ground was built you have some Acoustics expert whose job it is to prevent excessive sound travel etc. In the old days the echo around the stadium when everyone started cheering or singing gave it an atmosphere sadly lacking today. Sign of the times regrettably.

Really? 

Can you expand...I knew the acoustics were flawed but prevention of excessive noise travel, really?

16 minutes ago, Highguy said:

Shouldnt be at football matches anyway should be catching sex offenders and rapists instead

Don't fully agree that football should be 100% police free always, there is a need as there is for stewards and SIA but cost to benefit ratio, the police presence at times can seem arbitrary and random.

A good example was Reading at home, was it New Years Day 2017? Certainly early in the year! Large police presence...vs Reading!! Not Cardiff, Leeds, Millwall etc but Reading!

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Really? 

Can you expand...I knew the acoustics were flawed but prevention of excessive noise travel, really?

Of course, so the noise from other parts of the ground is not intrusive elsewhere inside the stadium therefore hindering the viewing experience. Bollycocks I know but its the way things are these days. You want to see the carp we have to go through when trying to obtain planning on new builds apartments in London.

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Of course, so the noise from other parts of the ground is not intrusive elsewhere inside the stadium therefore hindering the viewing experience. Bollycocks I know but its the way things are these days. You want to see the carp we have to go through when trying to obtain planning on new builds apartments in London.

Thanks. 

That helps to explain why sound doesn't travel so well then I guess!

People who say the away end are silent or the Singing Section basically don't, may have a different reflection to the reality based on where they are in the ground.

I've always thought it hasn't travelled well at AG, with the obvious exception of the East End with its design, low roof etc. 

Not saying we have a great atmosphere incidentally but there are mitigating factors caused by design?

53 minutes ago, Highguy said:

Well i bet the coppers hate standing around fist clenched waiting to start hitting football fans or getting in to stadium and watching match for free whilst getting time and half the football clubs pay for the police not the police budgets 

I'm sure every policeman agrees with you and would much rather be catching sex offenders and rapist's rather than old men with no teeth wearing stone Island gear.

On 30/12/2019 at 14:23, Robbored said:

Won't work in the centre unless they either all stay sat down or the whole stand, stand up. 

In the corner is the only place where they can stand without getting in the way of other supporters sight lines.

So yes, a deliberate and sensible plan not to put them there!

Archived