IGNORED

Sustitutions?

RobintheRed Red

Three nill up i have to question the substitutions  i understand the first one Dasiva been out six months  for Tommy Rowe then takes off watkins who was doing ok for korey smith the third sub was deidou for a bloke thats ending his loan spell come january when when surely semenyo would have been a better option at 3.0 up to try an build some confidence in the kid they were a poor side an were there for the taking.

2 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Three nill up i have to question the substitutions  i understand the first one Dasiva been out six months  for Tommy Rowe then takes off watkins who was doing ok for korey smith the third sub was deidou for a bloke thats ending his loan spell come january when when surely semenyo would have been a better option at 3.0 up to try an build some confidence in the kid they were a poor side an were there for the taking.

Probably one of few games this season I’ve been happy with them! ?

Marley was knackered, was on his haunches a couple of times in second half.

Semenyo looks like he’s off to Sunderland, so perhaps Rodri might be needed for a few minutes between now and the end of January.  Possibly start v Shrewsbury next Saturday.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Probably one of few games this season I’ve been happy with them! ?

Marley was knackered, was on his haunches a couple of times in second half.

Semenyo looks like he’s off to Sunderland, so perhaps Rodri might be needed for a few minutes between now and the end of January.  Possibly start v Shrewsbury next Saturday.

With the Semenyo to Sunderland rumour looking like it has legs. How do you think we will solve the homegrown player problem that will come up?

17 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Watkins was certainly blowing, so was an obvious one. DaSilva has only just come back, so again, totally understandable. The only one difference i would of made was taking Williams off for Moore. He was on a yellow & was getting into a few tussles. But overall, i thought they were correct & well timed. COYR 

3 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Probably with Morrell coming back.

I was worried that might be the solution. Think his loan at lincoln is doing him way more good than sitting on our bench would do. Not easy being a manager not a decision i would want to make 

Personnel today were incidental for me - was more pleased that as we were well in control of the game I wasn't scratching my head two or three times in the second half trying to work out what our new formation or positions were!

Lee making subs to swap out tired legs or a minor tactical tweak was a refreshing change, as opposed to trying to be overly clever somehow and upset what was a controlled game.

10 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Personnel today were incidental for me - was more pleased that as we were well in control of the game I wasn't scratching my head two or three times in the second half trying to work out what our new formation or positions were!

Lee making subs to swap out tired legs or a minor tactical tweak was a refreshing change, as opposed to trying to be overly clever somehow and upset what was a controlled game.

Or having to make 1 or 2 at half time because the starting line-up was wrong.

1 minute ago, Shtanley said:

Wollacott on bench maybe. 

Yeah that would work apart from maenpaa sitting on the bench fills me with confidence that if anything happened to bentley we would still be in very safe hands. I think one day wollacott will be a very good keeper. Maybe oleary back 1st?

2 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

You know we’ve got another game on Wednesday, then another on Saturday, yeah.?! 

8 hours ago, GTFABM said:

I was worried that might be the solution. Think his loan at lincoln is doing him way more good than sitting on our bench would do. Not easy being a manager not a decision i would want to make 

Might as well have the u18’s keeper on the bench, they don’t play Saturdays from what I can recall so will do him no harm. If anything might give him a confidence boost being around the first team set up 

17 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Might as well have the u18’s keeper on the bench, they don’t play Saturdays from what I can recall so will do him no harm. If anything might give him a confidence boost being around the first team set up 

Yeah thats true how rarely a sub goalkeeper is used

I hope we bring Wollacott back if Semenyo goes out.  If he's gonna sit on the bench at Forest Green he might as well do so here.

I'd also be looking at other options for that homegrown player if it means keeping someone like Janneh around or promoting one of the other young players to squad member.

Not sure why we put all our eggs in one basket with Semenyo given our academy is supposed to be advanced and have a pathway through for players in any position.

12 hours ago, GTFABM said:

I think Morrell is good enough to give strong competition to Nagy, Smith, Massengo etc., so get him back and use him.

12 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Wollacott on bench maybe. 

Doubt it.  Mäenpää on bench is fantastic cover.  He is close in my opinion to being as good as Bentley.  He’s a calming influence too.  I do think JoJo May give Max a run for his money over the next couple of seasons as Dan’s no2, he’s really come on leaps and bounds.

12 hours ago, GTFABM said:

Yeah that would work apart from maenpaa sitting on the bench fills me with confidence that if anything happened to bentley we would still be in very safe hands. I think one day wollacott will be a very good keeper. Maybe oleary back 1st?

Was chatting to Gilmartin (lovely fella).  He said JOJo (and Max) much better off being on loan, and in JoJo’s case, just learning what it’s like to be a pro, the ups and downs of playing well, stuffing up, losing place, getting it back, injuries etc are best served at FGR. U23 Footie does not prepare you for the things that happen to do in a 1st team squad.  Was a really informative chat.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Doubt it.  Mäenpää on bench is fantastic cover.  He is close in my opinion to being as good as Bentley.  He’s a calming influence too.  I do think JoJo May give Max a run for his money over the next couple of seasons as Dan’s no2, he’s really come on leaps and bounds.

Was chatting to Gilmartin (lovely fella).  He said JOJo (and Max) much better off being on loan, and in JoJo’s case, just learning what it’s like to be a pro, the ups and downs of playing well, stuffing up, losing place, getting it back, injuries etc are best served at FGR. U23 Footie does not prepare you for the things that happen to do in a 1st team squad.  Was a really informative chat.

Agree with that and i think it’s why morrell would be best kept on loan playing proper regular football

22 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Fancy winning 3-0 at home and still finding such a minor thing to moan about.

Surely the best criticisms are valid at any time and not just after a bad result?  I wouldn't necessarily say it's a minor thing either.

One of the biggest problems this season is none of our strikers aside from Weimann and Diedhiou have scored.  That's not an issue when both are playing well like yesterday, but when they're off their game we're found massively wanting.  I'd have thought it would've been smart to have whoever is 3rd choice striker coming on with a decent amount of time given that at 3-0 the game was effectively done.

LJ said afterwards that he remembered the 3-3 Sunderland game and being burned when Diony came on, and that he's learned from that, and maybe he's right but I think it says that he doesn't trust Semenyo or Rodri, which is a bit worrying given how far into the season we are.

37 minutes ago, Roe said:

Surely the best criticisms are valid at any time and not just after a bad result?  I wouldn't necessarily say it's a minor thing either.

One of the biggest problems this season is none of our strikers aside from Weimann and Diedhiou have scored.  That's not an issue when both are playing well like yesterday, but when they're off their game we're found massively wanting.  I'd have thought it would've been smart to have whoever is 3rd choice striker coming on with a decent amount of time given that at 3-0 the game was effectively done.

LJ said afterwards that he remembered the 3-3 Sunderland game and being burned when Diony came on, and that he's learned from that, and maybe he's right but I think it says that he doesn't trust Semenyo or Rodri, which is a bit worrying given how far into the season we are.

?

• Admin
16 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

LJ mentioned in his post match interview that he got his subs wrong when we were 3-0 up against Sunderland to finish 3-3

Rodri was a like for like substitution, LJ didn't want to gamble chucking Semenyo on for the same reason

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

@Davefevs don’t think anyone is gonna benefit from being brought back from loan. Semenyo should’ve benefited by being played more but there you go. 

Agree. He played wide for Newport so surely he could have played some minutes wide for us. Watkins used as a back post threat and Antoine certainly has the physical attributes to do that as well. All this work with the academy and no one really getting a chance. Kelly and Vyner were on the cusp when LJ got here and Bryan and Reid were established pros. Since then nothing. Dream scenario is the academy providing the spots from 18-25. At the moment a lot of Wright, Rodri, Palmer, Gilmartin and Adelakun taking those spots

4 hours ago, phantom said:

LJ mentioned in his post match interview that he got his subs wrong when we were 3-0 up against Sunderland to finish 3-3

Rodri was a like for like substitution, LJ didn't want to gamble chucking Semenyo on for the same reason

If you cant play him at 3.0 up id say hes got little hope for the future. Think Rodri will be going back to the sun come january.

Archived