IGNORED

Conundrum

WayOutWest

The modern day Bristol City conundrum is, are we ready?

Yes we can sell player for £12m, £14m and £22,  but can we buy one at that price?  Is that a bridge too far?

Kalas, record signing has been injured and perhaps a little off so far this season. As far as I am concerned I am not too worried. A season long loan gives us the upper hand and we feel comfortable purchasing a player, who in all respects we knew inside and out. Low risk. 

What we need is that blue chip "out of our comfort zone," striker. More than likely will he will be European. Will he fit? Will we give him time? 

Are we ready as a club and collective fanbase  to accept a £15-20m pound player?

This would signal the next level and progression for this football club. But whoever we bring in will need the skin of a rhino. Preseason in Botswana needed.

Stevo

10 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

Yes we can sell player for £12m, £14m and £22,  but can we buy one at that price?  Is that a bridge too far?

Kalas, record signing has been injured and perhaps a little off so far this season. As far as I am concerned I am not too worried. A season long loan gives us the upper hand and we feel comfortable purchasing a player, who in all respects we knew inside and out. Low risk. 

What we need is that blue chip "out of our comfort zone," striker. More than likely will he will be European. Will he fit? Will we give him time? 

Are we ready as a club and collective fanbase  to accept a £15-20m pound player?

This would signal the next level and progression for this football club. But whoever we bring in will need the skin of a rhino. Preseason in Botswana needed.

Stevo

As it's been said before, the transfer fee is only part of buying a player. The wages that a £15m+ Player would demand would be out of our structure, and way ahead the rest of the squad. I'd be amazed if it happened anytime soon. 

We are nowhere near that level imo. Think even Kalas was a stretch. We operate at a 25m loss every season at the moment. That might even be higher now. And you can’t take say the Webster fee and write that loss all off. That deal only takes off 4-5m from that 25m loss.

Then take the Kalas deal. 8m fee and 25k a week. Over a 4 year deal we are paying 2m in fees and 1.25m in wages per season. So 3.25m for 1 player not including bonuses. Almost an eighth of our losses on 1 player! 

So now take your 15m player over 4 years and 40k a week because he is a 15m player and probably won’t sign for 15-20k. That is roughly 3.75m on fee and 2m on wages. So almost 6m a season for 1 player. Can’t see that happening for us in the championship. Don’t think it should either.

Do think we could be more creative though. Imo we carry way too many players like Bailey Wright, Matty Taylor and O’Dowda. Paying these probably 30k a week combined to be a club in the bag. I’d rather us rely on Adelakun, Semenyo and Szmodics to be those players. They are likely on less money and are younger and in theory hungrier(I don’t see them train but assume they want careers at the highest level). If we did that maybe we could pay an extra 5k a week for a 10m player. It probably isn’t that simple but I’d be trying to trim this squad down over the next couple windows. 

2 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

Stevo

If you’ve seen the latest accounts then you will know we will not be signing a player of that value and nor should we

I’d be very concerned if we did to be honest 

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

We are nowhere near that level imo. Think even Kalas was a stretch. We operate at a 25m loss every season at the moment. That might even be higher now. And you can’t take say the Webster fee and write that loss all off. That deal only takes off 4-5m from that 25m loss.

Then take the Kalas deal. 8m fee and 25k a week. Over a 4 year deal we are paying 2m in fees and 1.25m in wages per season. So 3.25m for 1 player not including bonuses. Almost an eighth of our losses on 1 player! 

So now take your 15m player over 4 years and 40k a week because he is a 15m player and probably won’t sign for 15-20k. That is roughly 3.75m on fee and 2m on wages. So almost 6m a season for 1 player. Can’t see that happening for us in the championship. Don’t think it should either.

Do think we could be more creative though. Imo we carry way too many players like Bailey Wright, Matty Taylor and O’Dowda. Paying these probably 30k a week combined to be a club in the bag. I’d rather us rely on Adelakun, Semenyo and Szmodics to be those players. They are likely on less money and are younger and in theory hungrier(I don’t see them train but assume they want careers at the highest level). If we did that maybe we could pay an extra 5k a week for a 10m player. It probably isn’t that simple but I’d be trying to trim this squad down over the next couple windows. 

Thanks Joe, saved me a lot of typing.

9 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

Stevo

Archer No GIF

Archived