IGNORED

PATO RETURNS

FrozenRobin

What always makes me laugh about the ‘not good enough if we want to progress’ type comments is that it completely fails to recognise that so many teams get promoted because of the quality of the TEAM and not so much the individuals that make it up. 

Of course having a team of star names gives you an advantage IF you can get them to be cohesive as a team, but more often it’s about the total being better than the sum of the parts. 

Some of - nay - the very best football we’ve played under LJ was with Jamie Paterson and Bobby Reid upfront. If that had been foretold in the summer you’d have thought it absolute lunacy. 

Whereas now we have arguably the ‘best’ squad we’ve had in years and the football being served up is at times absolutely dreadful. 

1 hour ago, tommy_b said:

Add in two more. 

Hakeeb Adelakun - 23 now. Is he injured? Out of contract Summer 2021 but just never mentioned. Must surely go on loan as what else is the point of him. 

Tyreeq Bakinson reportedly at Plymouth yesterday and about to sign on loan

Adelakun was who I knew I had forgot! Says it all really, sadly. I had high hopes for him but it just is not working so far...

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Had a quick look on Twitter and Derby fans seemed disappointed it wasn't Dowell going first.

Wouldn't be in my side but if he starts, then it's as a 10 or not at all IMO. 

He hasn't been in a squad there for weeks, especially considering their dire position, you have to wonder why Cocu didn't use him.

52 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

What always makes me laugh about the ‘not good enough if we want to progress’ type comments is that it completely fails to recognise that so many teams get promoted because of the quality of the TEAM and not so much the individuals that make it up. 

Of course having a team of star names gives you an advantage IF you can get them to be cohesive as a team, but more often it’s about the total being better than the sum of the parts. 

Some of - nay - the very best football we’ve played under LJ was with Jamie Paterson and Bobby Reid upfront. If that had been foretold in the summer you’d have thought it absolute lunacy. 

Whereas now we have arguably the ‘best’ squad we’ve had in years and the football being served up is at times absolutely dreadful. 

Thats an indictment against the managers and the players that have been brought in, we have an unbalanced squad with too many weaker attacking midfielders and only 1 left back. If we can sign good quality footballers then they need to be made into a cohesive team with good organisation and way of playing.

2 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Thats an indictment against the managers and the players that have been brought in, we have an unbalanced squad with too many weaker attacking midfielders and only 1 left back. If we can sign good quality footballers then they need to be made into a cohesive team with good organisation and way of playing.

I don’t disagree, it’s just a different point to the one I was making. In loads of successful teams there are players who aren’t ‘standout’ on paper yet are part of a fantastic team that run through walls for each other. 

We had that in 17/18 when our front two was Reid and Pato - a prospect that would have had you laughed out of the asylum if you’d suggested it a few months prior. 

IMO Pato became an easy scapegoat for our capitulation that season amongst the fans who always seem to need someone to blame for a collective failing. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Last chance saloon imho.  Rejected by us earlier this season, now Derby.  Time to kick-start his career.

Well he must have at least 18 months left on his contract, so it's not desperate for him. And the official line on the move was that he went because he wasn't guaranteed regular starts here. I expect he saw himself behind KP in the pecking order. Probably everyone did. I'd say his average performance in a city shirt has been better than KP's, and he seems to be more of a trier. I'd be quite happy to see him on the bench Wednesday.

There have been times in the last few matches where Pato's movement and attacking intent would've been greatly appreciated coming off the bench.

He also scores a handful of goals each season and they are often absolute beauts.

I know people talk about our "bloated squad" but it's the likes of Szmodics, Wright and Semenyo etc, who are surplus to requirement, not JP.

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Well he must have at least 18 months left on his contract, so it's not desperate for him. And the official line on the move was that he went because he wasn't guaranteed regular starts here. I expect he saw himself behind KP in the pecking order. Probably everyone did. I'd say his average performance in a city shirt has been better than KP's, and he seems to be more of a trier. I'd be quite happy to see him on the bench Wednesday.

Yep, but he isn’t gonna get another decent one unless he improves consistency. 

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Why do people give Palmer excuses for playing badly because Diedhiou plays ahead of him, but not the same excuses for Pato. He's just rubbish!

Because we saw Palmer with Afobe. Pato has had lots of complimentary things said about.

Why do you “rubbish” City players Jon. You can’t wait to be critical of players like Palmer, Rowe and Weimann. There is middle ground to be found. ☹️

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Because we saw Palmer with Afobe. Pato has had lots of complimentary things said about.

Why do you “rubbish” City players Jon. You can’t wait to be critical of players like Palmer, Rowe and Weimann. There is middle ground to be found. ☹️

It's not a hobby of mine being critical of players. But Palmer has been very poor recently, I really wish he hadn't been!

My previous post I made on a different thread was complimentary of Palmer. So I don't enjoy saying someone has played badly. I understand he can be good, but he has been very poor recently.

My point is people don't look for a reason for Pato's bad games, but just say he's rubbish etc.

Weimann I rate as a decent championship striker or winger, always have. But I will say when I feel he has a bad game, especially when people on here will blame others but not him when imo he might have been one of our worst players in a game. He should be criticised just as O'Dowda is or Watkins used to be.

Tommy Rowe people were saying how amazing he is and some have said should even be our player of the year so far. I just think he's solid enough on a good day, doesn't offer much going forward, can be liability at times with his lack of pace. A decent enough player, but ideally i'd want better even as back up, in the same way I wanted better than Pisano on the other side.

I have not ever rubbished anyone as far as I know.

48 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Why do people give Palmer excuses for playing badly because Diedhiou plays ahead of him, but not the same excuses for Pato. He's just rubbish!

For me personally, there is one thing I just can’t tolerate in a Footballer and that is Tackle dodging/Tackle Avoidance......and Jamie Paterson is the best I ever seen at it. 

5 hours ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Good player, under rated/scapegoated by some on here. Should never have been let out on loan. 

Undoubtedly has talent but always seemed to go missing in tough games. I hope he is moved on. For a team that has been bullied at times thus season, he is the last bloke you would want to bring in.

5 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

Let’s hope that his time away has given the kick up the bum he needed to become the footballer that he has the ability to be !!

A match winner on his day could be good foil for Palmer in an attacking midfield maybe ?

We can hope. I’d be surprised to see Palmer and Pato in the same team though.

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

There have been times in the last few matches where Pato's movement and attacking intent would've been greatly appreciated coming off the bench.

He also scores a handful of goals each season and they are often absolute beauts.

I know people talk about our "bloated squad" but it's the likes of Szmodics, Wright and Semenyo etc, who are surplus to requirement, not JP.

Agreed. And another point I would like people to consider is that Pato hasn’t played with many of our team before, perhaps he is just what we need to link people together? Maybe people are quick to judge him playing with previous players, what’s the harm in giving him a chance?

I wouldn’t read too much into Derby rejecting him, Rooney was always going to play and need the wages of more than one player

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

(Sorry but the site is garbling up the quoting a bit.)

True. He hasn't been the same since his mystery illness around the time of the Man United game! I did think LJ & MA were a bit premature ponying up a new contract in July 2018 (on the day we played Shrewsbury in a pre season friendly) - I thought he was going to have to prove himself & earn a contract (or not) in the following January. Anyway I hope he comes back and sets the place on fire.

Archived