IGNORED

PATO RETURNS

FrozenRobin

6 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

He didn’t go missing against Man Utd, did he?

Or Wolves at home that same month- or any number of games between August and then, but especially in December where he excelled!

Bramall Lane, great last minute winner.

Big spending, under the lights, parachute payment flush Middlesbrough he helped us to 3 points.

Even Millwall away, must win to stay in the playoff picture last May!

Paterson is a hugely frustrating player. On his day he can be great, but as others have pointed out, you can almost name those days and games. As well as being lightweight in the press or tackle, the biggest issue that I have with him is that he takes too many touches and frequently slowed up our play when we actually needed to move the ball more quickly. I agree that he was better before he was unwell, but that was nearly 2 seasons ago.

He is either a lightweight Palmer, an older Szmodics, or an English O’Dowda. The club really doesn’t need 4 similar supposedly “playmaker” players that LJ doesn’t appear to know what to do with. Add in the central midfielders (Smith, Brownhill, Nagy and Massengo), those on loan in League 1 (Walsh and Morrell), plus others nowhere near the first team set-up (Bakinson and Adelakun) and you can see that we have a bloated and unbalanced squad of players. You can even add Rowe as a midfielder, as that’s his natural position, it’s just he has spent most of this season filling in for Dasilva.

So in summary, we don’t need Paterson back, although knowing that he previously seemed to be one of LJ’s favourites, who he would shoehorn in at the slightest opportunity, I can see him being picked for the Shrewsbury game, which would be a complete waste, as surely that’s a game for Palmer and/or Szmodics to show what they can do against supposedly lesser opposition.

I personally have no problem with Patterson coming back & being around the squad depending on form. Obviously has ability, has a goal in him, can create & I’m interested to see how he would link with the more intelligent players we now have ( movement wise ). Seems popular amongst the group as well. Would definitely be ahead of Szmodics imo, so send Szmodics out on loan to gain a good level of experience & we are basically as we were player wise. COYR 

Fwiw didn’t Paterson only get let go because he accidentally put something into a group chat with the coaching staff in & got him in trouble? Heard that from a couple of people. Think Gregor may have also tweeted that. 

Goes missing for large chunks of the season, he’ll probably do well his next 2 or 3 appearances then his next good game will be at the end of  March.

4 assists for us last season, Palmer has 3 this year & has hardly played. 

Really hope it doesn’t mean we’ll see less of Eliasson. 

Us recalling him must mean he’s developed greater power and physicality, with consistency in his play.

What a successful loan!  Well done to those responsible. 

I hear the Club have also announced a squadron of flying pigs will accompany him on his return to the pitch. 

To me is seems there may be more truth in the Palmer to Swansea rumours and that LJ believes Paterson’s attitude is better than Palmer.

The problem is that Palmer played really well when he had Afobe to slip the ball through to, and if, hopefully, we get the striker or two we are all hoping for, will Palmer start playing well again?

It’ll be interesting to see how quickly we can bring in the striker(s) and then decide which of the abundance of midfielders we let go!

16 hours ago, Kibs said:

For me personally, there is one thing I just can’t tolerate in a Footballer and that is Tackle dodging/Tackle Avoidance......and Jamie Paterson is the best I ever seen at it. 

Totally agree, but I also agree that on his day he can be outstanding, biggest problem of the last 2 seasons was LJ’s love in with him, started almost every game not matter how out of form he was! Had he be been benched like any other player underperforming he would probably have upped his game to get back in.

3 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Totally agree, but I also agree that on his day he can be outstanding, biggest problem of the last 2 seasons was LJ’s love in with him, started almost every game not matter how out of form he was! Had he be been benched like any other player underperforming he would probably have upped his game to get back in.

The ‘ love in ‘ stopped abruptly when he was loaned out .

LJ is ruthless.

4 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Don’t doubt his talent at all Dave and that’s what makes him so frustrating! 

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Fwiw didn’t Paterson only get let go because he accidentally 

Goes missing for large chunks of the season, he’ll probably do well his next 2 or 3 appearances then his next good game will be at the end of  March.

4 assists for us last season, Palmer has 3 this year & has hardly played. 

But also 5/6 goals each season. Only Josh will score us more from midfield.

People always put his indifferent form down to him and his illness without thinking what coincided with that period. Up until Christmas, he was playing centrally just behind Bobby Reid and brilliantly. Christmas is over and our record signing Famara comes back into the team. BR drops in behind, Patterson moves to left Midfield, Joe Bryan drops to LB and Magnússon is dropped. Not only was Patterson less effective but, Bryan was less effective, Bobby Reid less effective and, the team as a whole were less effective. Sadly, the brunt of peoples blame seemed to be vented towards Patterson without thinking what was the reason. Prior to being shipped out on loan, he'd been played wide left, substitute, not in the squad or, occasional right midfield, once centrally where he came off the bench and ran the show but I can't remember the opposition. As with other players, he needs to be played to his strengths, finding a formation to fit all players seems very hard at the moment.

3 hours ago, Rich said:

People always put his indifferent form down to him and his illness without thinking what coincided with that period. Up until Christmas, he was playing centrally just behind Bobby Reid and brilliantly. Christmas is over and our record signing Famara comes back into the team. BR drops in behind, Patterson moves to left Midfield, Joe Bryan drops to LB and Magnússon is dropped. Not only was Patterson less effective but, Bryan was less effective, Bobby Reid less effective and, the team as a whole were less effective. Sadly, the brunt of peoples blame seemed to be vented towards Patterson without thinking what was the reason. Prior to being shipped out on loan, he'd been played wide left, substitute, not in the squad or, occasional right midfield, once centrally where he came off the bench and ran the show but I can't remember the opposition. As with other players, he needs to be played to his strengths, finding a formation to fit all players seems very hard at the moment.

I was gonna make a point that maybe, just maybe taking him off vs Wolves even though it was fair tactically knocked his confidence/morale. He was took off after Fielding sent off and he was an obvious choice in many ways, but I wonder if it affected him at all.  Was often December he played behind Reid, in that 4-4-1-1/4-4-2-0 though it's worth noting he also produced a number of strong displays when Diedhiou was in the side before Christmas- when it was Reid and Diedhiou, but his peak spell came behind Reid in that great run.

However I agree with your point moreso!

However yeah, he doesn't suit LM, or RM, or in a number of ways wide left.

Cocu's words are interesting and back up what many say- including you:

Speaking after Derby's 2-1 win over Charlton Athletic last night, Cocu told the Derby Telegraph: "It just didn't work like we had in mind.

"He played in the middle of the first half of the season a few games as a second striker or as a '10', on the wing he struggled a little bit more.

Yep, makes sense. Figures- that's how he was with Reid 2 years ago especially!

Cocu addressed Paterson's form in November, and hinted that the writing may have already been on the wall for him to return.

He said: "He played some game, and some games he played good, especially as a number 10.

Yup, very much so! Tom Lawrence did supersede him however.

As a '10', or behind the right striker- or not at all, as a starter IMO.

"At the moment, Tom Lawrence is playing the position, and is doing well, so there is quite some competition in that position.

"It is the same for him (Paterson) as it is for every other player. He has to show the coaches and the manager he is the best one for the job or, when the possibility is there, he has to take it."

On 30/12/2019 at 17:42, Kibs said:

For me personally, there is one thing I just can’t tolerate in a Footballer and that is Tackle dodging/Tackle Avoidance......and Jamie Paterson is the best I ever seen at it. 

As I read this I can picture it clear as you like in my mind immediately. He just stops abruptly in front of the opponent, stiffens up and pulls his arms up as a “I’m not touching him ref” sign. 

5 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

So it's ok to give it, but not take it? Ok, as long as I know how it works, that's fine.

You can give without facts, bit when you give back with facts it's pathetic. Ok Pal.

I can give without facts? Where have I given you anything? Where have any facts even been discussed? You've completely lost me.

9 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Completely changed the game today and probably Man of the match.

Last 6 months given him a kick up the arse perhaps? 

Could well have done. I`ve always given him a fair bit of leeway (mainly because some ******** who sits near me spends the whole game slagging him off and I hate it) but he did need to get out of his comfort zone - he was heading for a move to league 1 and his career just petering out if he wasn`t careful.

The other thing is that he`s a big character in the dressing room by all accounts, a good lad to have around and the other players seem to really like him.

15 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Could well have done. I`ve always given him a fair bit of leeway (mainly because some ******** who sits near me spends the whole game slagging him off and I hate it) but he did need to get out of his comfort zone - he was heading for a move to league 1 and his career just petering out if he wasn`t careful.

The other thing is that he`s a big character in the dressing room by all accounts, a good lad to have around and the other players seem to really like him.

The most telling thing was his celebration, looked absolutely elated to be back and ran straight over to the city fans in an “I’m here to stay!” manner!

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

agree totally.

yes, a real character, juvenile in a nice way!  I was worried though that he might not be happy to be back, because he was co-commentator for the Brentford game, and he had a face like thunder.  Which is not like him.

Archived