IGNORED

Never happy

Whale Eye Beef Hooked

The problem is, the championship is like nothing else.  There is no team that is going to be consistent all season.  
I would say that we are not going to be far away from Forest at the end of the season and their budget is a lot higher than ours 

They lose to Cardiff at home , 2 poor draws against Millwall and Middlesbrough , then get battered by Wednesday and lose to a poor Huddersfield side. They have since won their last 2 games. 

We had a 10 game unbeaten run which is unbelievable in this league then we go2 losses  in 10,, ok a few dodgy draws but also a couple of great wins ,  so 2 defeats in 20 championship games with our main striker missing for most, and 3 of our back 4 missing for most    
so when we lose 4 games it’s understandable that people find it embarrassing and cringey  with the sack Johnson posts - don’t know what your doing , etc

people say we play crap football..,. Really ??

if we get promoted, our football will have to be ugly and it will be so hard to stay up and we will lose a lot more than we will win ,  the negativity on here is going to be painful and I sometimes wonder if it’s worth it for some of the people on here,  

6 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

The problem is, the championship is like nothing else.  There is no team that is going to be consistent all season.  
I would say that we are not going to be far away from Forest at the end of the season and their budget is a lot higher than ours 

They lose to Cardiff at home , 2 poor draws against Millwall and Middlesbrough , then get battered by Wednesday and lose to a poor Huddersfield side. They have since won their last 2 games. 

We had a 10 game unbeaten run which is unbelievable in this league then we go2 losses  in 10,, ok a few dodgy draws but also a couple of great wins ,  so 2 defeats in 20 championship games with our main striker missing for most, and 3 of our back 4 missing for most    
so when we lose 4 games it’s understandable that people find it embarrassing and cringey  with the sack Johnson posts - don’t know what your doing , etc

if we get promoted, our football will have to be ugly and it will be so hard to stay up and we will lose a lot more than we will win ,  the negativity on here is going to be painful and I sometimes wonder if it’s worth it for some of the people on here,  

Good and well thought out post Whale.........Unfortunately it’ll be lost on some posters on here..............:dunno:

Btw.......City have been playing some crap football (it must be a Johnson trait) although it was better yesterday albeit against bottom of of the league opponents who were the poorest team that Ive seen at AG this season. Let’s hope we see some attacking and high tempo play against the Bees on NYD...........:fingerscrossed:

The problem is this forum is a place of extremes. Those that feel middling about our current squad and manager will typically less frequently post than those that either hate or absolutely love them, so any run of below par performances and poor results become a weapon to suit the agenda of those that have never liked Johnson and any win becomes an event for the 'happy clappers'.

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Good and well thought out post Whale.........Unfortunately it’ll be lost on some posters on here..............:dunno:

Btw.......City have been playing some crap football (it must be a Johnson trait) although it was better yesterday albeit against bottom of of the league opponents who were the poorest team that Ive seen at AG this season. Let’s hope we see some attacking and high tempo play against the Bees on NYD...........:fingerscrossed:

I’ve been watching ,playing, managing football teams for 40 years and I’ve seen both ends of the spectrum    We do not play crap football IMO

we have had games where we have been poor ...granted but on the whole we play or at least try and play decent football.  

28 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Primarily I am a passionate City fan and have the right not to be happy when we play rubbish and drop out of a strong play off position after 4 dreadful  losses on the bounce.

Secondly, going to those four games with the ticket, travel, food, drink etc cost me the best part of £500 which just adds to my anger.

38 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

We have in the main played crap football at home for a couple of seasons so to answer your question we really do as the norm. 

There would be far less negativity if we played as cautiously and got battered in the Prem because we would be relative paupers although I can't see us getting there as things stand anyway . 

The lines are drawn between those who want rid  and those who think Johnson is a fine young coach who will deliver what we all surely crave. Nothing anyone can do about that apart from the coach and the owner. 

The tit for tat threads are amusing in the main but ultimately pointless. 

15 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

I’ve been watching ,playing, managing football teams for 40 years and I’ve seen both ends of the spectrum    We do not play crap football IMO

we have had games where we have been poor ...granted but on the whole we play or at least try and play decent football.  

You surely cannot argue the shots on targets or even shots on goal stats suggest we have been playing entertaining football?

I care less about winning than being entertained and unless you are someone who is absorbed by the passing tactics across the back (before hoofing long or giving it away) then there are very few whole halves where I think we have been entertaining / not crap.

Even just comparing us to the recent performances of 2017.

11 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Primarily I am a passionate City fan and have the right not to be happy when we play rubbish and drop out of a strong play off position after 4 dreadful  losses on the bounce.

Secondly, going to those four games with the ticket, travel, food, drink etc cost me the best part of £500 which just adds to my anger.

Why should you expect great football and 4 wins. It’s championship football .  If your expectations are that high then follow Man City 

I dont mean to sound disrespectful to you , but every team is going to have good and bad spells.
that will happen at every club 

14 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

You surely cannot argue the shots on targets or even shots on goal stats suggest we have been playing entertaining football?

I care less about winning than being entertained and unless you are someone who is absorbed by the passing tactics across the back (before hoofing long or giving it away) then there are very few whole halves where I think we have been entertaining / not crap.

Even just comparing us to the recent performances of 2017.

Our shots on target have been poor but IT is a fine line, trying not to lose whilst trying to entertain.  If Afobe hadn’t have been injured we would have played totally different and created more chances by playing behind the lines.  We haven’t got a like for like replacement so my point is that I am happy with what we do with what we have got 

I also find it amusing that people think a change of management would get us playing great football whilst having a better chance of promotion 

you have only got to see what happens at clubs such as forest, derby,Stoke, MIDDLESBORO to see that a change COULD set us back 5 years 

be careful what you wish for, that’s all I’m saying 

59 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I think you will defo see high tempo football robbo will it be from us not quite so sure ??

28 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

You have pretty much the same experience of of football as I do apart from I’m 10 years longer and if you call under 16s  management.............:dunno:

Like most fans I watch live football to be entertained and when that’s not happening game after game at AG then I draw the conclusion that City have been playing poorly - especially when we have very few shots on target or we huff and puff and get nowhere.

Of course that could be the opposition doing a job on us as Millwall and Blackburn did or team formation/shape/tactics or selection being wrong.

I accept that LJ ‘tries’ to play decent football but we’re not seeing it regularly enough. 

29 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Our shots on target have been poor but IT is a fine line, trying not to lose whilst trying to entertain.  If Afobe hadn’t have been injured we would have played totally different and created more chances by playing behind the lines.  We haven’t got a like for like replacement so my point is that I am happy with what we do with what we have got 

I also find it amusing that people think a change of management would get us playing great football whilst having a better chance of promotion 

you have only got to see what happens at clubs such as forest, derby,Stoke, MIDDLESBORO to see that a change COULD set us back 5 years 

be careful what you wish for, that’s all I’m saying 

The clubs you quote were mostly basket cases, especially financially, so they could never invest in a squad and back the new manager - City are not.

We have a great squad - we need someone new to coach and motivate - not because LJ is not good but because change can be good.

I can quote loads of positive examples - but Leicester is the best.

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Well......I’m pretty sure Brentford will ‘go for it’ on NYD.......Lets hope LJ has prepared a strategy for that scenario.

A good strategy would be to keep Ollie Watkins and Mbeumo shackled - they have 65% of Brentfords goals between them.

I'm sure that hasn't gone unnoticed by LJ..

Back on topic - sense of entitlement springs to mind.

56 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Why should you expect great football and 4 wins. It’s championship football .  If your expectations are that high then follow Man City 

I dont mean to sound disrespectful to you , but every team is going to have good and bad spells.
that will happen at every club 

You’re right it will happen at every club. I consider myself a more moderate poster than many, but my problem is that inconsistency of performance level has been a consistent theme for too long now. I don’t think many people expect us to win every game, but defeats are a lot easier to take if you feel the team has done itself justice and been beaten by the better side. That has often not been the case recently.

So my main criticism of LJ is that he does not consistently get the best from the squad at his disposal. One win against lowly Luton doesn’t change that, and I’m increasingly of the opinion that someone else could get more from these players - but to be fair, we could go 4th on Wednesday and that’s difficult to be too critical about.

53 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

The clubs you quote were mostly basket cases, especially financially, so they could never invest in a squad and back the new manager - City are not.

We have a great squad - we need someone new to coach and motivate - not because LJ is not good but because change can be good.

I can quote loads of positive examples - but Leicester is the best.

They do back their new managers that’s why thy are in a mess

city will not keep changing managers due to the massive costs involved And he definitely won’t be doing it because of 4 defeats 

SL has his head screwed on

41 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You’re right it will happen at every club. I consider myself a more moderate poster than many, but my problem is that inconsistency of performance level has been a consistent theme for too long now. I don’t think many people expect us to win every game, but defeats are a lot easier to take if you feel the team has done itself justice and been beaten by the better side. That has often not been the case recently.

So my main criticism of LJ is that he does not consistently get the best from the squad at his disposal. One win against lowly Luton doesn’t change that, and I’m increasingly of the opinion that someone else could get more from these players - but to be fair, we could go 4th on Wednesday and that’s difficult to be too critical about.

Ian Holloway got the nail on the head last night

i know he is gas but he is an experienced football man.  He said that we are a good team, we generally play nice football, anyone calling for the managers head after one bad run need to get a life “

I would never say that of course but everything is about opinion and everyone is entitled to it

the guy in front of me at the gate can’t stand Brownhill whilst i say he is one of the best in the championship.. who is right ? 
I would say me, he would say him... what’s the point in arguing with him , that’s our opinions 

I’ll continue to back LJ as that’s my opinion 

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

We won yesterday but without buzz or bossing against a very poor team. We simply looked tired. I don't know what they do in training but we look unfit. 

We bossed them . There was no ‘ buzz ‘ because after scoring in the fourth minute it was pretty much game over . 

We looked a bit leggy in the last fifteen but I think we can accept that after the number of games in such a short period and under so much pressure.

20 hours ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Your thread title "Never happy" refers to how some feel but you then go on to make the very typical bloke error of then using logic, reason, context, perspective, and facts to .... well, to do what? Change how they feel?

Someone (a bird, and not on here) once said: "We don’t see things as they are, we see things as we are." And this applies to Bristol City and most of us: generally, we see Bristol City as we are, and yes, some folks are "never happy" and they bring that unfortunate condition to this forum.

We see Bristol City through the lens of our own minds and personalities. Some are "never happy," some are "happy clappy," some angry, some hopeful, some pessimistic. Some jocular. And some are @Robbored/odd.

Some are relentlessly negative on here, and yes, it is draining and tiresome but many that relentlessly tangle with them on here choose to relentlessly read their predictable miserabilism when they could choose to ignore or block it. Why so?

There are many prim, prissy forum prefects on here rushing about the place, fussing and fighting and countering all the negativity, frequently tut-tutting and despairing about the miserabilists and how awful they are bringing everything and everyone down, when they could simply choose to ignore or block it.

I can only think they get some personal benefit or satisfaction from those they rail against.

We know there are many on here that are just too miserable, negative, angry - I think we are getting a bit of a window into their souls on here (we all reveal something about the sort of people we are by the way we behave on here) and to me they deserve our pity or some sympathy/empathy. If we cannot manage that, we can choose to ignore them, and there is a facility on here to help us do this.

We are not going to change how others feel about Bristol City because how others feel about their club is mostly to do with how they feel about themselves, and you are not going to change that with reference to Nottm Forest's budget and wage bill.

Save yourself the bother and employ the "ignore" thingy on here (which I know you will not do and will instead continue to be "outraged" and "upset" by the negativity and miserabilism, and to glean whatever it is you get by ountering this toxicity through demonstrating your logic, reason and perspective about Bristol City and all its  ups and downs. So, Happy New Year, and up the City!)

9 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Your thread title "Never happy" refers to how some feel but you then go on to make the very typical bloke error of then using logic, reason, context, perspective, and facts to .... well, to do what? Change how they feel?

Someone (a bird, and not on here) once said: "We don’t see things as they are, we see things as we are." And this applies to Bristol City and most of us: generally, we see Bristol City as we are, and yes, some folks are "never happy" and they bring that unfortunate condition to this forum.

We see Bristol City through the lens of our own minds and personalities. Some are "never happy," some are "happy clappy," some angry, some hopeful, some pessimistic. Some jocular. And some are @Robbored/odd.

Some are relentlessly negative on here, and yes, it is draining and tiresome but many that relentlessly tangle with them on here choose to relentlessly read their predictable miserabilism when they could choose to ignore or block it. Why so?

There are many prim, prissy forum prefects on here rushing about the place, fussing and fighting and countering all the negativity, frequently tut-tutting and despairing about the miserabilists and how awful they are bringing everything and everyone down, when they could simply choose to ignore or block it.

I can only think they get some personal benefit or satisfaction from those they rail against.

We know there are many on here that are just too miserable, negative, angry - I think we are getting a bit of a window into their souls on here (we all reveal something about the sort of people we are by the way we behave on here) and to me they deserve our pity or some sympathy/empathy. If we cannot manage that, we can choose to ignore them, and there is a facility on here to help us do this.

We are not going to change how others feel about Bristol City because how others feel about their club is mostly to do with how they feel about themselves, and you are not going to change that with reference to Nottm Forest's budget and wage bill.

Save yourself the bother and employ the "ignore" thingy on here (which I know you will not do and will instead continue to be "outraged" and "upset" by the negativity and miserabilism, and to glean whatever it is you get by ountering this toxicity through demonstrating your logic, reason and perspective about Bristol City and all its  ups and downs. So, Happy New Year, and up the City!)

Too long a missive to read MP - try to be more succinct.

13 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Great post 

I do get frustrated with the mentality and it is a reflection on life today.   People can’t except hardship of any kind and people generally are always looking over the fence and wanting what others have got Rather than looking at the positives of what they / we have already got 

hey ho.   Happy new year 

3 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

I do get frustrated with the mentality and it is a reflection on life today.   People can’t except hardship of any kind and people generally are always looking over the fence and wanting what others have got Rather than looking at the positives of what they / we have already got 

hey ho.   Happy new year 

This is a football forum Whale, not a platform to discuss psychology and sociology.

21 hours ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Good points, well made. Tbh...the majority feel the same way, it's only a vocal few that don't get it.

You've only got to look at the 2019 league table. 46 games, 20 wins and only 13 losses in a year. A 45% win rate. The majority of teams would snatch your hand off for such stats.

Having better stats, and Entertaining winning football every week is impossible...unless you're Liverpool or Man City etc.

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

Good points, well made. Tbh...the majority feel the same way, it's only a vocal few that don't get it.

You've only got to look at the 2019 league table. 46 games, 20 wins and only 13 losses in a year. A 45% win rate. The majority of teams would snatch your hand off for such stats.

Having better stats, and Entertaining winning football every week is impossible...unless you're Liverpool or Man City etc.

I disagree about the vocal minority. The polls taken recently on various forums were pretty damning though some will pretend that only the negative people bother to vote - which is rubbish IMO.

I can understand their frustration. I’m somewhere in between. I see what is probably the most talented squad of players in my 30+ years of watching and it feels like they are being stifled, held back or just frozen with information overload. I don’t see an “identity” at all. I think we’ve definitely regressed in that sense. 

In LJs defence, we’ve suffered a lot with injuries. Ironically though, he seems to struggle more when he has a full squad to pick from. 

Expectations is a problem too. I’d never expect us to be top 6 in this league. Very few teams should have that expectation tbh but for some reason many supporters expect us to be there. We are competing, there is no doubt about that but I think we can compete in a far more positive manner.

I’m happy if I see the team set up well with intent but when you see some of the lacklustre, tedious, slow and negative football we have played (5 defenders at home - yes some will try and sell it as 3-5-2 but it’s often been more like 5-3-2), it really does become a grind and I genuinely think we have players who are better than that.

Lets see how the second half of the season pans out - pretty much a fully fit and very talented squad to choose from, no excuses. Brentford is always a good test. 

20 minutes ago, Kibs said:

I disagree about the vocal minority. The polls taken recently on various forums were pretty damning though some will pretend that only the negative people bother to vote - which is rubbish IMO.

I can understand their frustration. I’m somewhere in between. I see what is probably the most talented squad of players in my 30+ years of watching and it feels like they are being stifled, held back or just frozen with information overload. I don’t see an “identity” at all. I think we’ve definitely regressed in that sense. 

In LJs defence, we’ve suffered a lot with injuries. Ironically though, he seems to struggle more when he has a full squad to pick from. 

Expectations is a problem too. I’d never expect us to be top 6 in this league. Very few teams should have that expectation tbh but for some reason many supporters expect us to be there. We are competing, there is no doubt about that but I think we can compete in a far more positive manner.

I’m happy if I see the team set up well with intent but when you see some of the lacklustre, tedious, slow and negative football we have played (5 defenders at home - yes some will try and sell it as 3-5-2 but it’s often been more like 5-3-2), it really does become a grind and I genuinely think we have players who are better than that.

Lets see how the second half of the season pans out - pretty much a fully fit and very talented squad to choose from, no excuses. Brentford is always a good test. 

It's only a minority of extremes that generally use forums. So many of them don't even bother going, yet think by watching or listening via media know it all.

You say about most talented squad...it is in Bristol City terms. However the quality of footballer goes up every year,in every league. Our quality has gone up...but only to a level of mid table average when compared player for player in other teams in this division.

This negates itself. Hence so many results in this division where anyone can beat anyone.

We are going ahead by our own standards, but basically keeping up with a great deal of others.

Fans see our players and think we should be turning many over...they forget the opposition is also often  full of quality and is trying to do the same.

It's not played on paper...it's a physical, psychological, living breathing entity.

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's only a minority of extremes that generally use forums. So many of them don't even bother going, yet think by watching or listening via media know it all.

You say about most talented squad...it is in Bristol City terms. However the quality of footballer goes up every year,in every league. Our quality has gone up...but only to a level of mid table average when compared player for player in other teams in this division.

This negates itself. Hence so many results in this division where anyone can beat anyone.

We are going ahead by our own standards, but basically keeping up with a great deal of others.

Fans see our players and think we should be turning many over...they forget the opposition is also often  full of quality and is trying to do the same.

It's not played on paper...it's a physical, psychological, living breathing entity.

Oh absolutely, people often forget that there is another team on the pitch who’s performance is having an equal impact to the outcome of a game!

And I agree, a lot of the other teams also improve in quality year on year but I stand by my opinion that this squad is capable of more in terms of performance and re-establishing the identity we had not so long ago. 

Archived