IGNORED

Your Highlight of the decade!

cityexile

Highlight of the decade  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2020 is nearly here. Not been a bad decade overall - relegation, promotion, and we finish it as an established championship side.

What has been your highlight of the last decade? Just a few I have chosen - I am sure there are others!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5_B_Xkk2zk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-AhRsQxcBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b7pA4ybnzw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDHi_-F2yBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRgU0uiitOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swpRsJ5MXHk

I voted for the United goal but I was torn between that and the 6-0. It’s not often you see your team win a league, and to secure it so emphatically with the 6-0 and 8-2 was the icing on the cake (plus the cup double)

that said, we beat a very strong United team in the best way possible - last minute winner from a fan favourite, and a screamer from a local lad. We still talk about Liverpool 25 years on and I think we’ll look back on this result and the performances against Man City just as fondly

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

If we're saying 'moment' then its Man Utd game because it is a moment or game, the thing about 14/15 was the ride of the whole season

Fair comment. Will leave it for people to interpret as they wish.

I was really really struggling to come up with anything before the 2014/15 season! Bonus question - highlight of the 2009/10-2013/14 seasons anyone?

The Utd game was nice but nothing compared to a few others on the list. I didn't find Bristol's best team beating Manchester's second team as once in a lifetime experience as some on here as I feel that's levels we should be competing at. Many clubs have beaten Utd this decade. Not many have cantered to a league title with a 6-0 win.

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

Fair comment. Will leave it for people to interpret as they wish.

I was really really struggling to come up with anything before the 2014/15 season! Bonus question - highlight of the 2009/10-2013/14 seasons anyone?

Highlight of 2009/2010 was finishing 10th in the championship I suppose - it felt quite snug and comfortable - little did we know how we’d plummet over the next few seasons! And the highlight of the 2013/2014 season was appointing Cotts as the gaffer just before Christmas - what a masterstroke that was - I’ll never forget his vital role in getting us to where we are now ... I was totally fed up of trekking off to watch us at Port Vale, Peterborough, Colchester etc etc - absolutely no disrespect to those fine old clubs, but over the years we’ve scratched around in the third tier just too many times for my liking ...

The Korey goal for me - rare moments like that are why we keep going through all the bad times.

They don`t come along that often and when they do they live with you forever - Donnie Gillies v Leeds, Paul Cheesley v Arsenal and Brian Tinnion v Liverpool were all etched in my memory till the day I die and Korey`s goal is now in there with them.

Some would say it`s because we`ve not achieved much in our history that we reminisce about these moments but that doesn`t really bother me.

9 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Blimey, yes! Good shout.

Neither would beat either the Man Utd game or the 2014/15 double trophy season, but if you're looking to make a top ten then I think both easily make the shortlist. 

Honestly that 4-goal haul from Smith is just glorious. One cheeky header, one diving header, a back-heel and then an absolute thunder**** of a strike on the half-volley from the edge of the box.

I voted for Bradford.A fantastic night in a great old ground.The celebrations with the players after the game were awesome.A team to of players to truly love and be proud of.I can't imagine I will ever feel so passionately about our team again the way that football has now changed for the worse and I think the decline for me will just continue. 

9 minutes ago, Slacker said:

I voted for Bradford.A fantastic night in a great old ground.The celebrations with the players after the game were awesome.A team to of players to truly love and be proud of.I can't imagine I will ever feel so passionately about our team again the way that football has now changed for the worse and I think the decline for me will just continue. 

I'm with you. Hard to to imagine a better away performance...or a better performance in a crucial match. Epic night.

Obviously the Man Utd goal is up there. But Bradford and the manner of that promotion is what you travel away for decades to experience.

I heard the Bradford night was epic but I didn’t go unfortunately so for me the Korey goal wins it. Something in the air that night  just made it happen. Will also never forget Joey Bryan’s goal - the way he straightened his back and looked up - bang. I was right behind it in the Dolman and knew it was in. ******* get in

No offence meant to anyone,the Man Utd /Man City games were great but it always felt a bit to me that it was almost as much about them as much as it was about us whereas Bradford was the culmination of an amazing season which was all about us.Hope that makes sense?

It's been a funny 10 years..

The three that stick out for me

• 2013, Rovers JPT at Home - great derby, fantastic atmosphere, two brilliant goals
  • 2017, United Carabao Cup at Home - Do I even need to explain?
  • 2014/2015 season collectively - personal highlight was Swindon at home. Eliminated any doubt that we were going up and brilliant revenge for the away game.

Another highlight for me personally was Charlton away in 2016, was the day that Johnson was appointed about 30 mins before kickoff and I remember this wave of optimism in the away end. People were excited and galvanised. I also went with my brother who I never usually get to many games with. Really good win too and always one of my favourite away trips. 

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's been a funny 10 years..

The three that stick out for me

• 2013, Rovers JPT at Home - great derby, fantastic atmosphere, two brilliant goals
  • 2017, United Carabao Cup at Home - Do I even need to explain?
  • 2014/2015 season collectively - personal highlight was Swindon at home. Eliminated any doubt that we were going up and brilliant revenge for the away game.

Another highlight for me personally was Charlton away in 2016, was the day that Johnson was appointed about 30 mins before kickoff and I remember this wave of optimism in the away end. People were excited and galvanised. I also went with my brother who I never usually get to many games with. Really good win too and always one of my favourite away trips. 

One I had forgotten about but was the moment I thought 'we really are going up' was the moment the Bryan shot hit the back of the net against Swindon in the 3-0. One of those matches where AG was rocking, and as a match certainly for me one of the top ten of the decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-3wag9stNc

4th August 2018, City 1-1 Nottingham Forest.

Nothing to do with the game itself, but because it was my son’s first match. Football has always been a family thing for me. Until 2009 when my grandad died, three generations - my grandad, my dad and myself - always watched games together. So my son’s first game marked the restoration of three generations watching together once more.

He was 7 at the time and wasn’t really interested in football until that point, so I’d had to wait patiently for him to be ready. He hasn’t looked back, and has come with me to every game I’ve been to since that day! He cried when our play off hopes were extinguished against Derby last season, and he berates my dad for constantly moaning about City! He goes to football training in a City kit when all his mates are wearing Barcelona and Chelsea (sigh).

Man Utd clearly the best match by the way!

Happy New Year everyone.

My highlight is a weird one it was when we beat sheff utd 2-1 first game of the promotion season with basically a whole new first xi.....little Freeman elliott (perm) Smith wilbraham Williams ayling.....knew it was going to be an exciting season after that.

I’ve got to say the Man Utd match. After years of having the piss taken out of him at school by ‘Utd fans’ it was a particularly special moment of pride for my young son who was there with me.

Knowing that all my Sag in-laws were also watching it on the box hoping we’d get demolished was a bonus. 

The L1 Championship winning season was obviously my favourite season of the decade but if we’re just talking ‘moments’ it’s got to be Koreys goal.

A 2-1 win against Notts County at the Gate to ensure our survival in L1 in 13/14 was a big moment for me. Only because it felt like the previous few years of mainly ******* dross may have come to an end with that result and so it proved in the following 12 months. 

Gas getting relegated to Non League was an amazing day. Never let them forget that embarrassment.

13 hours ago, Slacker said:

No offence meant to anyone,the Man Utd /Man City games were great but it always felt a bit to me that it was almost as much about them as much as it was about us whereas Bradford was the culmination of an amazing season which was all about us.Hope that makes sense?

It was always going to be about them though? Because beating Crawley (picked a random team) 2-1 with a last minute winner wouldn’t have the same impact. Granted it would be a bit more special in a quater final of the league cup.

2 hours ago, cityexile said:

One I had forgotten about but was the moment I thought 'we really are going up' was the moment the Bryan shot hit the back of the net against Swindon in the 3-0. One of those matches where AG was rocking, and as a match certainly for me one of the top ten of the decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-3wag9stNc

That game was the highlight of that season for me. Bryan's goal going in was a release of emotion and tension for everyone, even the most pessimistic City fan knew we were going up at that point and to do it against them, after everything that happened in the reverse fixture and on national telly as well, was something else.

Archived