IGNORED

Your Highlight of the decade!

cityexile

Highlight of the decade  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

That game was the highlight of that season for me. Bryan's goal going in was a release of emotion and tension for everyone, even the most pessimistic City fan knew we were going up at that point and to do it against them, after everything that happened in the reverse fixture and on national telly as well, was something else.

One of the last games i went to with my old man! Still watch the highlights semi regularly on youtube now

The promotion (and JPT winning) season wasn’t just my highlight of the decade but my highlight of all time watching City. To win the title was something very special and seeing SC with both trophies on the pitch was something I will never forget.

For one moment though, Korey Smith’s goal against Man Utd was just unbelievable. To beat them in that way at that time with something that special is something that comes around once in a lifetime. 

20 hours ago, Paul G said:

I had to go for the Gas as it was also the day I met my wife!! Double celebrations

Same here, ( not meeting your wife but am sure she is a beauty)  It was just a funny feeling that for me , our rivals of many many years were now out of the football league. I ran around the room punching the air and wife thought I had gone mad. Second though was that goal against Man Ure. 

My highlight of the decade was Flint getting back to head Sterling’s lob off the line and over the crossbar in the first leg of the league cup final at Man City. I almost could not believe what I had seen. 

Dolly Marie has previously posted a great photo of it. 

Various memories from the decade some brilliant, some just random:-

The signing of David James, followed by the departure of Coppell, and realising what a gem we had in Albert.

Escaping relegation under Del-boy, the 2 great Easter wins at Forest and home to Coventry.

SOD's "Stupid Question" interview, I remember thinking the game was finally up for his miserable tenure as our Head Coach, and he didn't last long after that.

Cott's brilliance for a season and a half, followed by a very sudden fall from grace.  I remember thinking his time was up after the Preston home defeat when he got involve with a big argument with fans after the game.

The whole saga of "Shed Man" between the EAST End being demolished and the SOUTH Stand being built - in the same place!!  Plus the whole joy of finally seeing the ground upgrade.

The skills of JET, especially his penalty taking (replicated by Charlton against Derby last night). The skills of Tomlin when he was on loan.

Matty Taylor running down the clock in stoppage time when we were 3-2 up against West Brom last season.  As soon as he realised he was unlikely to score he totally turned direction and took the ball to the corner flag, and then wasted more time and took a booking for the team.  One of the best pieces of game management I have ever seen from one of our players.

Seeing the likes  of Kevin de Bruyne and Sergio Agüero in action at the Gate, and just hoping, as I often do, that we get to the Premier League soon and the appearance of such players will be just another game at the Gate!

Happy New Decade!

2 hours ago, cityexile said:

One I had forgotten about but was the moment I thought 'we really are going up' was the moment the Bryan shot hit the back of the net against Swindon in the 3-0. One of those matches where AG was rocking, and as a match certainly for me one of the top ten of the decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-3wag9stNc

Joe was mascot that night.  It was indeed a great night.  Mrs Fevs only ever game - she hasn’t been back!

Another game that sticks out for me for the early part of the decade was Easter 2012 when we beat Forest away 1-0 for what felt like the first time in decades winning up there, then winning on Easter Monday to secure survival.

looking at our transfers at the start of that season makes for some awful reading

Ryan Taylor

Foster

kilkenny

Pearson

Bolasie

11 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

4th August 2018, City 1-1 Nottingham Forest.

Nothing to do with the game itself, but because it was my son’s first match. Football has always been a family thing for me. Until 2009 when my grandad died, three generations - my grandad, my dad and myself - always watched games together. So my son’s first game marked the restoration of three generations watching together once more.

He was 7 at the time and wasn’t really interested in football until that point, so I’d had to wait patiently for him to be ready. He hasn’t looked back, and has come with me to every game I’ve been to since that day! He cried when our play off hopes were extinguished against Derby last season, and he berates my dad for constantly moaning about City! He goes to football training in a City kit when all his mates are wearing Barcelona and Chelsea (sigh).

Man Utd clearly the best match by the way!

Happy New Year everyone.

Happy new year mate. 

Experiencing watching Bristol city beat Manchester United in a cup Q final alongside my Dad and daughter was pretty special. As a season ticket holder since 1989 that night was amazing. 

It got better for me though as my daughter then won the mascot draw for the home semi final against Manchester city and we got to meet all the players of both teams etc. She ran out with bailey Wright and also Lee Johnson's daughter. Memories. 

15 minutes ago, hodge said:

Chucking in Carlisle away to anyone who went, no away win in months to see a win 4-2? Also Lewis Dunk playing for City before injury I believe in that game... 

Yep that was special in a strange way, first league win of that season in late October. Moreso as I was at Crewe the week before where we were awful, they were almost as bad and beat us 1-0 with a last minute penalty.

It felt like we couldn't sink any lower, and, bar the odd exception that season, we didn't.

On 30/12/2019 at 15:55, BS4 on Tour... said:

Highlight of 2009/2010 was finishing 10th in the championship I suppose - it felt quite snug and comfortable - little did we know how we’d plummet over the next few seasons! And the highlight of the 2013/2014 season was appointing Cotts as the gaffer just before Christmas - what a masterstroke that was - I’ll never forget his vital role in getting us to where we are now ... I was totally fed up of trekking off to watch us at Port Vale, Peterborough, Colchester etc etc - absolutely no disrespect to those fine old clubs, but over the years we’ve scratched around in the third tier just too many times for my liking ...

Not only that, in terms of his vital role in getting us where we were now but it's worth remembering that when he arrived, we were in- or facing the very real prospect of- a proper relegation scrap!

At that time, the third tier seemed like it could be one of the lesser issues...

Though it may not feature high on many lists- and I also ultimately went for that Man United game...not only the Smith moment, the Bryan goal but beating a side who for 2 decades or a decade and a half were the kings of last minute as well as the est side in the country, in the last minute and it was certainly not a scratch team that we played, or beat...that takes some topping!

The one that possibly won't feature so high, but the Bristol Derby in the JPT was excellent. Great atmosphere,  another stunner by Bryan- great goal by JET...near enough full house in 2013, in the JPT first round- on Sky in front of the cameras...

A rare highlight in a very bad year or at least 11 months for us!

I liked Millwall away at the back end of last season...not a game that leaps off the page, but must win for the playoffs, first win there in some while on a Tuesday night- but on a personal note, first away game I've taken a mate to...Millwall missed a penalty too and we showed some excellent character to keep the dream alive for one more game.

3 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Yea we won a double.

Yea we beat Man U last minute...

In the last decade, theres only one winner. Nothing tops beating Rovers 2-1 in the second round of the paint dry trophy. Love it love it love it and can't wait for the next derby.

I couldn't care less if we never play them again?

2 hours ago, hodge said:

Chucking in Carlisle away to anyone who went, no away win in months to see a win 4-2? Also Lewis Dunk playing for City before injury I believe in that game... 

Remember driving up wondering what we were doing. Questioning at every junction if we should just turn around and not bother. JETS perfect hat trick was worth every mile

2 hours ago, hodge said:

I think you mean no win at all for months. That Carlisle victory was our first win of the 13/14 season, it was at the very end of October. 

It came nearly eight months after our last win in a League match when we beat Middlesbrough 2-0 at the beginning of March. 

Going 1.0 up at the Etihad in a Semi Final of a major Cup competition was surreal AND we were playing some really good football and all of the plaudits that followed made me very proud to be a Bristol City fan but doing the Lower League Double has to be the moment of the decade. Historically its up there along with finishing runners up in the league, the F A Cup final and promotion to the first division, that was its significance.

On 30/12/2019 at 15:13, cidercity1987 said:

The Utd game was nice but nothing compared to a few others on the list. I didn't find Bristol's best team beating Manchester's second team as once in a lifetime experience as some on here as I feel that's levels we should be competing at. Many clubs have beaten Utd this decade. Not many have cantered to a league title with a 6-0 win.

Not a bad Man U second team to be fair! Bryan’s goal v Man U is also one of my favourites of all time - cracking move and a great strike, plus I was right in line as the ball came towards me! 7E5E7314-5FA8-4A47-AB7C-5A31A38621FD.thumb.png.17851a6e0f2db06a234f01a4e39a724d.png

Archived