IGNORED

Team for Brentford

Will b11

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Gonna be interesting for the commentator tomorrow:

Dasilva v Dasilva

Watkins v Watkins

Ha. It was bad enough listening to radio bristol commentary when every players name it different. Much of the time you'd be left guessing which team scored for a few seconds (*). Luckily now for those of us not travelling to away games we have alternate means of keeping up.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

I'd play...think we need to be more physical against Brentford. They don't like it up em so to speak.

Maybe Smith in centre. With the intention of bringing Eliasson on.

_______________Bents_______________

______Kalas____Williams___Baker_____

Hunt_____Nagy_____HNM_____DaSilva

_____________Brownhill______________

_______Watkins________Weimann_____

I probably agree with you with the forwards. Fam looked absolutely knackered near the end before being subbed.

Also Nagy looked absolutely knackered and I'm surprised he wasn't subbed. I really hope he doesn't start as he really struggled recently with 3 games in a week.

Bentley

Pereira.  Kalas   Williams  Dasilva 

Smith  Massengo 

Brownhill.   Weimann    Eliasson 

Watkins 

All about getting at their midfield when they have the ball. That's a side with very high work rate and a nice balance imo.

Play Weimann a bit deeper, but can obviously be changed to a 442 as well. 

19 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I probably agree with you with the forwards. Fam looked absolutely knackered near the end before being subbed.

Also Nagy looked absolutely knackered and I'm surprised he wasn't subbed. I really hope he doesn't start as he really struggled recently with 3 games in a week.

Bentley

Pereira.  Kalas   Williams  Dasilva 

Smith  Massengo 

Brownhill.   Weimann    Eliasson 

Watkins 

All about getting at their midfield when they have the ball. That's a side with very high work rate and a nice balance imo.

Play Weimann a bit deeper, but can obviously be changed to a 442 as well. 

We all know we will never guess a LJ team selection. ?

Brentford play well against teams who try to match them technically.

Against a physical side with an Airial threat they suffer.

I don't see Famara as an Airial threat...Weimann and Watkins I do.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

We all know we will never guess a LJ team selection. ?

Brentford play well against teams who try to match them technically.

Against a physical side with an Airial threat they suffer.

I don't see Famara as an Airial threat...Weimann and Watkins I do.

I only would not play Diedhiou because he looked tired last game which was only a few days ago. But usually I'd say he is far more an aerial threat than those 2. He is taller and stronger and gets up well.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I only would not play Diedhiou because he looked tired last game which was only a few days ago. But usually I'd say he is far more an aerial threat than those 2. He is taller and stronger and gets up well.

I don't see him as a threat airially in the box. His positioning is poor...the cross has to be pin point to him. He seldoms gets across his man or adjusts his run accordingly. Watch Weimann and what Watkins have shown in the box...correct movement, positioning, pro active rather than reactive.

Famara will win a header in midfield, he'll also win headers when defending set pieces. He likes a ball at him.

38 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I probably agree with you with the forwards. Fam looked absolutely knackered near the end

No chance that Famara won’t start - unless he’s injured. His aerial ability is very valuable in both boxes. LJ has stated several times just how useful Fam is when defending corners and set pieces .

The only possible change I can see could be in midfield. 

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't see him as a threat airially in the box. His positioning is poor...the cross has to be pin point to him. He seldoms gets across his man or adjusts his run accordingly. Watch Weimann and what Watkins have shown in the box...correct movement, positioning, pro active rather than reactive.

Famara will win a header in midfield, he'll also win headers when defending set pieces. He likes a ball at him.

He's scored probably most of his goals with his head from crosses.

He's too big to be really sharp, but he is very good at winning a header and being a nuisance. Much better with a floated cross than one with pace.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No chance that Famara won’t start - unless he’s injured. His aerial ability is very valuable in both boxes. LJ has stated several times just how useful Fam is when defending corners and set pieces .

If he's 100% sharp and at his best then play him. I always thought he has struggled to look the same player a few days after a game. But then maybe his fitness has improved.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Exactly... he's brilliant at defending set pieces.

Useless at attacking set pieces in the opposition's box though ??

He'd make a fantastic CB ??

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

He's scored probably most of his goals with his head from crosses.

He's too big to be really sharp, but he is very good at winning a header and being a nuisance. Much better with a floated cross than one with pace.

He needs about 10 pin point crosses, out swingers that are floating away from the keeper to score. As a forward at this level he needs to do better.

He's not big... he's skinny as a rake. He looks deceptive on the pitch size wise. Afobe is big. Famara is tall and skinny.

I don’t know which is the best  team to pick tomorrow. Thought the team against Luton did ok, but can understand changing personnel and formation against a side that play very differently to Luton and with far more confidence . That’s what the manager is very well paid for. That’s why he’ll be slaughtered by the Keyboard Warriors if we lose and lorded if we win. A bit of luck on our side and I think we’re good enough to beat them but a draw most likely result . 

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

Exactly... he's brilliant at defending set pieces.

Useless at attacking set pieces in the opposition's box though ??

He'd make a fantastic CB ??

He needs about 10 pin point crosses, out swingers that are floating away from the keeper to score. As a forward at this level he needs to do better.

He's not big... he's skinny as a rake. He looks deceptive on the pitch size wise. Afobe is big. Famara is tall and skinny.

He is very strong which is all that matters. Don't think he'd make a good centre back though! Seen him trying to deal with wingers one on one and he really looks like a striker trying to defend.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He is very strong which is all that matters. Don't think he'd make a good centre back though! Seen him trying to deal with wingers one on one and he really looks like a striker trying to defend.

Funny how everyone sees things differently. I actually don't think he's that strong. He backs into a defender, then starts holding on. He usually then falls over or sometimes wins a free kick. Stats prove this.

He seldom wins a clean header, and I can't remember one that actually went to a team mate. He'll win a dual, but it could go anywhere.

Not often CBs are having to deal with wingers...full backs and DMs generally do that job.

Afobe is strong...so is Watkins. They win balls cleanly. Because they have ingrained technical body positioning. The correct positioning.

Watching Famara receive a ball, is like watching an Octopus falling out of a tree.

9 minutes ago, redapple said:

I don’t know which is the best  team to pick tomorrow. Thought the team against Luton did ok, but can understand changing personnel and formation against a side that play very differently to Luton and with far more confidence . That’s what the manager is very well paid for. That’s why he’ll be slaughtered by the Keyboard Warriors if we lose and lorded if we win. A bit of luck on our side and I think we’re good enough to beat them but a draw most likely result . 

Agree with this post. The heart wants to go with the XI that produced our best performance of the season but the head says we should rest a few. If I had to put money on it I'd expect a few rotations tomorrow, with more wholesale changes (and possibly a debut or two) against Shrewsbury at the weekend. 

With apologies, a minor pedant's note - when describing someone as "lauded" the word is as I've spelt it. It's derived from the Latin "laude" meaning honour or praise. See also "he graduated magna cum laude". I suspect in 50 years time it will be indistinguishable in the way people now muddle "less" and "fewer".

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Funny how everyone sees things differently. I actually don't think he's that strong. He backs into a defender, then starts holding on. He usually then falls over or sometimes wins a free kick. Stats prove this.

He seldom wins a clean header, and I can't remember one that actually went to a team mate. He'll win a dual, but it could go anywhere.

Not often CBs are having to deal with wingers...full backs and DMs generally do that job.

Afobe is strong...so is Watkins. They win balls cleanly. Because they have ingrained technical body positioning. The correct positioning.

Watching Famara receive a ball, is like watching an Octopus falling out of a tree.

@JonDolman In support of @spudski - compare Fam and Massengo when receiving a ball, compare how they use their bodies to shield and deflect opponents. Fam must have several inches and at least a stone on Han-Noah, but the younger man is far better coached to use his frame to protect. Neither is perfect but it's an aspect of Massengo's game that I really enjoy watching.  

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think he is strong but agree that he really isnt that good in the air.

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Whilst tempting to stick with a winning team, we need at least 5 in the middle of the park tomorrow, so I'm pretty sure Lee will go with a 3 5 1 1 formation.

Against Brentford, we definitely need an extra body in midfield. I would also drop Fam to the bench to bring on as an impact substitute (although not the impact he had against Charlton at home), give Nagy a break and bring in both Massengo and Smith, along with Brownhill in a midfield 3. Ideally we need 2 up front to chase down their defenders and not give them space. I don’t think Eliasson has it in him, nor does Palmer, so it could be Weimann and Rodri up front, especially as Semenyo was useless at doing this the last few times he started. Controversial I know, but it’s not like second guessing LJ is easy!

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Agree with this post. The heart wants to go with the XI that produced our best performance of the season but the head says we should rest a few. If I had to put money on it I'd expect a few rotations tomorrow, with more wholesale changes (and possibly a debut or two) against Shrewsbury at the weekend. 

With apologies, a minor pedant's note - when describing someone as "lauded" the word is as I've spelt it. It's derived from the Latin "laude" meaning honour or praise. See also "he graduated magna cum laude". I suspect in 50 years time it will be indistinguishable in the way people now muddle "less" and "fewer".

Thank you for the lesson. I’d like to say it was a typo, or a careless mistake but no it was a phrase I was unsure about but have got lazy over Christmas and couldn’t be arsed to check out !

22 minutes ago, spudski said:

He is up against huge centre backs so he must be strong to manage to hold it up. We saw what we were like against Swansea when Weimann and Szmodics were both so easily outmuscled when up against their centre backs. Fam usually copes with the physical battle no problem.

21 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

@JonDolman In support of @spudski - compare Fam and Massengo when receiving a ball, compare how they use their bodies to shield and deflect opponents. Fam must have several inches and at least a stone on Han-Noah, but the younger man is far better coached to use his frame to protect. Neither is perfect but it's an aspect of Massengo's game that I really enjoy watching.  

Massengo is up against midfielders who are surely nowhere near as strong as the centre backs Diedhiou is up against.

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He is up against huge centre backs so he must be strong to manage to hold it up. We saw what we were like against Swansea when Weimann and Szmodics were both so easily outmuscled when up against their centre backs. Fam usually copes with the physical battle no problem.

Massengo is up against midfielders who are surely nowhere near as strong as the centre backs Diedhiou is up against.

The only time he wins a ball cleanly is when he drops deeper into midfield and gives himself space away from the defender. In doing this he sets up play, unfortunately it's too deep and becomes ineffective as he rarely sprints to get forward into a penetrating position to receive again...the complete opposite to Afobe, who uses strength and technical ability. You'll also see it in Nketiah, but more technical and body position to win, give, turn and go.

Even his stats show he is weak...given as a playing Weakness...

Holding on to the ball
Weak

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

The only time he wins a ball cleanly is when he drops deeper into midfield and gives himself space away from the defender. In doing this he sets up play, unfortunately it's too deep and becomes ineffective as he rarely sprints to get forward into a penetrating position to receive again...the complete opposite to Afobe, who uses strength and technical ability. You'll also see it in Nketiah, but more technical and body position to win, give, turn and go.

Even his stats show he is weak...given as a playing Weakness...

Holding on to the ball
Weak

Not sure where that last bit comes from. His hold up play has been very good recently. If he wasn't strong then he wouldn't be able to hold it up, or chest it down with a player on him or just be a complete nuisance to centre backs. Strength is pretty much his main asset, surely.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Not sure where that last bit comes from. His hold up play has been very good recently. If he wasn't strong then he wouldn't be able to hold it up, or chest it down with a player on him or just be a complete nuisance to centre backs. Strength is pretty much his main asset, surely.

Because he's been coming deeper.

When close to a defender, he may chest it, head it, hold it for a bit...it's what happens to the ball next. It's very rarely under control, invariably gets intercepted or goes to the opposition and the attack breaks down. He has to win cleanly and give and go in the final third to be a danger...he doesn't. Last bit comes from footy stat site.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Because he's been coming deeper.

When close to a defender, he may chest it, head it, hold it for a bit...it's what happens to the ball next. It's very rarely under control, invariably gets intercepted or goes to the opposition and the attack breaks down. He has to win cleanly and give and go in the final third to be a danger...he doesn't. Last bit comes from footy stat site.

Whether he loses it or not doesn't make him physically weak. If he was weak then he wouldn't be able to chest it down, win the header or hold it up. I can't even imagine he'd be a professional footballer if he wasn't strong. It's his main thing isn't it? He wouldn't be so dominant at defending corners if he wasn't strong.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Whether he loses it or not doesn't make him physically weak. If he was weak then he wouldn't be able to chest it down, win the header or hold it up. I can't even imagine he'd be a professional footballer if he wasn't strong. It's his main thing isn't it? He wouldn't be so dominant at defending corners if he wasn't strong.

He loses the ball after trying to control the ball, because of his positional weakness. He doesn't position his body in the right position to control the ball neatly under pressure. Don't be fooled by backing in and falling over...that doesn't make you strong. As pointed out earlier...look at Massengo, his body position makes him strong, even though he is weaker physically. He is far more effective at holding off an opponent.

Like I said before...Famara wins clean headers when he has space, not being bullied or has a ball coming at him. 

And no...it's not his main thing. He's not known as a holding forward. He's known for dropping deep, making flick on's and strong at dribbling when given space.

In fact Weimann is actually better at holding and retaining a ball with back to goal.

Famara was and never is a target man. Throughout his career he's never played like that.

Like I've said many times before, he doesn't fit our system. He was obviously bought with the intention to develop into what we want...it hasn't worked imo.

Archived