IGNORED

Team for Brentford

Will b11

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

He loses the ball after trying to control the ball, because of his positional weakness. He doesn't position his body in the right position to control the ball neatly under pressure. Don't be fooled by backing in and falling over...that doesn't make you strong. As pointed out earlier...look at Massengo, his body position makes him strong, even though he is weaker physically. He is far more effective at holding off an opponent.

Like I said before...Famara wins clean headers when he has space, not being bullied or has a ball coming at him. 

And no...it's not his main thing. He's not known as a holding forward. He's known for dropping deep, making flick on's and strong at dribbling when given space.

In fact Weimann is actually better at holding and retaining a ball with back to goal.

Famara was and never is a target man. Throughout his career he's never played like that.

Like I've said many times before, he doesn't fit our system. He was obviously bought with the intention to develop into what we want...it hasn't worked imo.

Weimann is far more mobile and energetic, but there's no comparison when it comes to physical strength imo between him and Fam.

Let's agree to disagree on this one.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Exactly... he's brilliant at defending set pieces.

Useless at attacking set pieces in the opposition's box though ??

He'd make a fantastic CB ??

He needs about 10 pin point crosses, out swingers that are floating away from the keeper to score. As a forward at this level he needs to do better.

He's not big... he's skinny as a rake. He looks deceptive on the pitch size wise. Afobe is big. Famara is tall and skinny.

I know this sounds a bit weird, but he wears massive shorts that make him look bigger.  Having been around him a few times, he’s not dissimilar in build to Wilbs, he’s quite lithe (is that the right word?).

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Funny how everyone sees things differently. I actually don't think he's that strong. He backs into a defender, then starts holding on. He usually then falls over or sometimes wins a free kick. Stats prove this.

He seldom wins a clean header, and I can't remember one that actually went to a team mate. He'll win a dual, but it could go anywhere.

Not often CBs are having to deal with wingers...full backs and DMs generally do that job.

Afobe is strong...so is Watkins. They win balls cleanly. Because they have ingrained technical body positioning. The correct positioning.

Watching Famara receive a ball, is like watching an Octopus falling out of a tree.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

He is up against huge centre backs so he must be strong to manage to hold it up. We saw what we were like against Swansea when Weimann and Szmodics were both so easily outmuscled when up against their centre backs. Fam usually copes with the physical battle no problem.

Massengo is up against midfielders who are surely nowhere near as strong as the centre backs Diedhiou is up against.

Re both of your posts, having played CB most of my playing days and then having a spell up top, predominantly as a target man ‘ back to goal, the most important thing is not strength....but timing, being on your toes, balance, etc.  There were times when I could be being marked by Giant Haystacks, but if I got the ball played into me with me either just coming off my marker, or conversely on the move but backing in, I could fend off any challenge.  Get the ball into me out of sync, either stood still or off balance because I was feeling for my man, I was a sitting duck 1) to miscontrol it 2) get whacked 3) lose balance.  That’s Fam too often.  Mainly because he reactionary.  It’s why (on even limited minutes), small players like Rodri can “hide it” from big ugly CBs.

I obviously didn’t play at anything near Champ level, but the level was high enough for the same principles to apply, and for a lot of ex-pros to be around to learn from.

Even LJ talked about Fam being in-sync on Sunday, and it making a huge difference.

24 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Same team as last game, we did well. As another poster sad: let them be worried about us.

Agree with the sentiment...and I'm inclined to agree with the point- but I'm unsure...

Because, what good is that though if we're chasing shadows in midfield? Which could happen- I remember the two games against Brentford in 2017/18- they battered us twice. First game we scored early and got a late, late equaliser up there. 2nd game we set up wrong, they played very well and it was 1-0 going on 3 or 4!

Still, on balance agreed- stick with the same side but maybe tweak the tactics a bit.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know this sounds a bit weird, but he wears massive shorts that make him look bigger.  Having been around him a few times, he’s not dissimilar in build to Wilbs, he’s quite lithe (is that the right word?).

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Re both of your posts, having played CB most of my playing days and then having a spell up top, predominantly as a target man ‘ back to goal, the most important thing is not strength....but timing, being on your toes, balance, etc.  There were times when I could be being marked by Giant Haystacks, but if I got the ball played into me with me either just coming off my marker, or conversely on the move but backing in, I could fend off any challenge.  Get the ball into me out of sync, either stood still or off balance because I was feeling for my man, I was a sitting duck 1) to miscontrol it 2) get whacked 3) lose balance.  That’s Fam too often.  Mainly because he reactionary.  It’s why (on even limited minutes), small players like Rodri can “hide it” from big ugly CBs.

I obviously didn’t play at anything near Champ level, but the level was high enough for the same principles to apply, and for a lot of ex-pros to be around to learn from.

Even LJ talked about Fam being in-sync on Sunday, and it making a huge difference.

Totally agree mate.

And you are right...Famara is like a tall long distance runner in build.

I can agree to Disagree with @JonDolman we all have opinions and I appreciate his, as they are always done in a civil way.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Totally agree mate.

And you are right...Famara is like a tall long distance runner in build.

I can agree to Disagree with @JonDolman we all have opinions and I appreciate his, as they are always done in a civil way.

Yep @JonDolman always polite (even if I’m not back, but did say sorry to him yesterday, didn’t I Jon ?)

5 hours ago, spudski said:

Funny how everyone sees things differently. I actually don't think he's that strong. He backs into a defender, then starts holding on. He usually then falls over or sometimes wins a free kick. Stats prove this.

He seldom wins a clean header, and I can't remember one that actually went to a team mate. He'll win a dual, but it could go anywhere.

Not often CBs are having to deal with wingers...full backs and DMs generally do that job.

Afobe is strong...so is Watkins. They win balls cleanly. Because they have ingrained technical body positioning. The correct positioning.

Watching Famara receive a ball, is like watching an Octopus falling out of a tree.

Loved that but why did it climb it in the first place or is this like a whale and a bowl of petunias 

5 hours ago, TammyAB said:

You must be mad.

Medium to long term I can see why. By dint of a combo of age and attributes these 2 are best suited to the higher line. 

As of now though, in a playoff push? Gotta play Williams IMO. If we were marooned in midtable going nowhere I'd be keen to build but as it stands, we have to compete.

rekon we might see a leftfield team from lee,  4 2 3 1 again maybe

bentley

hunt,kalas,williams,dasilva

nagy,Massengo

weimann,browny,elliason.

fammy

he will be finding a way to get elliason on from the start.

myself

3-5-2

baker, kalas,williams

hunt, Massengo,nagy,brownhill, dasilva.

weimann, fammy

cant go 4 4 2 v brentford, they usually out play us .

can allways put elliason on 2nd half.

watkins had cramp from 60 mins v luton, bench for hm.

On 30/12/2019 at 23:30, RedDave said:

Would be madness to play the same team again. Brentford pose unique problems that need to be countered 

Playing devil’s advocate here: will Brentford be setting up differently to counter our threats? If not, why should we when we’re the home team, just won convincingly last time out, and would go above them with a win?!

(in reality I do appreciate the arguments on both sides, but sometimes I do wonder if our inconsistency is in part due to not sticking with our own setup in response to what the opposition are doing).

13 hours ago, RedReynard said:

Saw this at Cabot's Circus today,. Ironic really. Were there Fireworks between Johnson and him??

thumbnail222.thumb.jpg.f3382e4f671322db604e0cc844fd42e2.jpg

Probably the most similar Club Crests out there...looks like Callum just got them out of a Panini packet and completed his album ?

Hope we are celebrating in the same way after Eliasson has put in some great crosses for Fammy to get across his man and score the winners.

If he's gonna do it...today is the day...biggest weakness defending headers. Cmon lad...do it ?

In terms of 3 games in a short time period:

Bentley 90+90

Hunt 45+90

Kalas 90+90

Williams 90+90

Moore 90+0

Rowe 45+22 

Brownhill 90+90

Nagy 90+90

Massengo 83+0

Weimann 90+90

Diedhiou 90+84

Dasilva 45+68

Watkins 0+80

Smith 0+10

O’Dowda 7+0

Eliasson 45+90

Rodri 0+6

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In terms of 3 games in a short time period:

Bentley 90+90

Hunt 45+90

Kalas 90+90

Williams 90+90

Moore 90+0

Rowe 45+22 

Brownhill 90+90

Nagy 90+90

Massengo 83+0

Weimann 90+90

Diedhiou 90+84

Dasilva 45+68

Watkins 0+80

Smith 0+10

O’Dowda 7+0

Eliasson 45+90

Rodri 0+6

A lot of the time, players won’t feel the minutes in short runs of games but will feel it 1/2/3 weeks later. No excuse for burnout this season and trust the science guys are on it

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

A lot of the time, players won’t feel the minutes in short runs of games but will feel it 1/2/3 weeks later. No excuse for burnout this season and trust the science guys are on it

Yes, and most of them will go through same volume of training whether playing or not.  For those that might be tiring, a little break ahead of the next league game, with Shrewsbury in cup in between.

All I will say on this is that if Johnson ***** about with the system and personnel and we get tanked especially if he goes back to 3-5-2 without Eliasson he will quite rightly get a ton of stick. 

If you are concerned by getting overrun in midfield you can pull Wieman back into a number 10 role or switch him out wide and move Watkins into that role. Or if you want to make a change bring in Pato to the 10 for Watkins and push Wieman out wide. 

We could quite easily loose today and as Brentford are a bloody good side there is no shame in that, if we loose again because Johnson ***** about with the system and personel again then that's on him and will not convince anyone that he has the ability to take this club any further than he has now. 

If you are concerned with Nagy and Fam being tired then you just sub them on 55 or 60 minutes or even at half time if they are that tired. 

Now is the time for this identity to show up, we beat the worst team that most have seen for years at the gate, if we mess about and loose today while going back to the complete lack of plan or identity then we may as well have not bothered to win the Luton game. 

4 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Now is the time for this identity to show up, we beat the worst team that most have seen for years at the gate, if we mess about and loose today while going back to the complete lack of plan or identity then we may as well have not bothered to win the Luton game. 

City won’t go into today’s game without a plan Spud. It’ll be a question of what that plan will be and a fall back plan B if it doesn’t work.

I honestly can’t see too many changes from the Luton game. The left side with Dasilva and Eliasson was very effective and they’ll definitely start. Famara and the busy Weimann will start as well.

Any changes - if there are any - will be in midfield. Possibly Smith coming in,

The Bees are a decent side particularly at home but their away form is not so impressive. I have a strong feeling that City will win handsomely today and bag 3 or 4 goals.

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

City won’t go into today’s game without a plan Spud. It’ll be a question of what that plan will be and a fall back plan B if it doesn’t work.

I honestly can’t see too many changes from the Luton game. The left side with Dasilva and Eliasson was very effective and they’ll definitely start. Famara and the busy Weimann will start as well.

Any changes - if there are any - will be in midfield. Possibly Smith coming in,

The Bees are a decent side particularly at home but their away form is not so impressive. I have a strong feeling that City will win handsomely today and bag 3 or 4 goals.

This aged well but had a grain of truth...one of the teams won handsomely bagging 3 or 4 goals.

Shame it was Brentford!

Archived