IGNORED

Closer Rovers links - bad commercial sense?

B-Rizzle

Recently, there was a local news report along the lines of City/Rovers developing a closer relationship regarding loans etc. Today, Semenyo is linked as favourite to join them on loan.

Sending a loan player down the road is appealing for obvious reasons but considering Rovers are pushing for the play-offs isn’t it a terrible commercial idea to help them out? In terms of attracting new fans/tourists in Bristol, don’t you want your rivals as far away from you as possible?

Rovers in the championship (humongous if still!) wouldn’t be great for BCFC - would it?

17 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

Recently, there was a local news report along the lines of City/Rovers developing a closer relationship regarding loans etc. Today, Semenyo is linked as favourite to join them on loan.

Sending a loan player down the road is appealing for obvious reasons but considering Rovers are pushing for the play-offs isn’t it a terrible commercial idea to help them out? In terms of attracting new fans/tourists in Bristol, don’t you want your rivals as far away from you as possible?

Rovers in the championship (humongous if still!) wouldn’t be great for BCFC - would it?

I thought Semenyo was going to Sunderland? Who is linking him to the Rovers? To quote Wael of Fortune "there will be no more moves between the two clubs" ....... **** 'em

1 hour ago, B-Rizzle said:

Today, Semenyo is linked as favourite to join them on loan.

Do what? Where did that come from?

Yes it’s a shit idea trying to help them get promotion, whilst they haven’t been proper rivals on the pitch for decades we do share the same City and the same population. The more of their kids who decide they want to watch the higher placed league club in Bristol rather than L1 hoofball the better for us in the long term. 

1 minute ago, Club and Country said:

Correct, then they came out in press a few weeks ago with tails firmly between legs trying to make friends with us again....

I thought that was just Coughlan not knowing the situation and being desperate to get some additions to his squad, while having no budget.

11 minutes ago, Club and Country said:

No was there new head of recruitment... but you may well be right with the latter there I guess

anyway, hope we told them to get stuffed

I’d like to think that we didn’t even do them the courtesy of responding and have had their number on our blocked list, since the February after Taylor signed. 

11 hours ago, B-Rizzle said:

Makes sense to me as it's easier to keep an eye on their progress. If Rovers get promoted then good luck to them.

Hate them. Always have done, always will. But do miss the local derbies.

But playing devils advocate, if they did get promoted, it would make Lansdown focus the mind ref ensuring our results being better than them,. It would add a bit of needle/passion back into Bristol football (like a library at AG at the moment).

it would also add a bit of “gentle pressure” in LJ ensuring this inconsistency of form stops. At the moment he can go on a relegation style run and still know his job is 100% safe. So don’t want them coming up, but all is not lost if they do IMO. But I will be in the minority I know.

The easier to keep an eye on argument doesn’t hold weight with me. Maybe 20 years ago it would’ve. 

Now you can watch back full 90’s of how a players got on regardless of where they are. 

We don’t need to help them out, our players will do fine elsewhere. 

**** em. 

1 minute ago, Carey 6 said:

The easier to keep an eye on argument doesn’t hold weight with me. Maybe 20 years ago it would’ve. 

Now you can watch back full 90’s of how a players got on regardless of where they are. 

We don’t need to help them out, our players will do fine elsewhere. 

**** em. 

Also learning to live and cope away from their home comforts is all part of being a footballer.

Archived