IGNORED

Brentford bring their fans in by helicopter

Never to the dark side

For Millwall's last game of 2018/19 there was a story doing the rounds that some of their fans were chartering a Chinook to fly them there.

An enthusiast's forum pointed out that the RAF are not in the habit of hiring out their aircraft and there are no civil owned Chinooks in Europe. However, the rumour originated at RAF Odiham where the Chinooks are based.

But the RAF doesn't mind when it suits

Last summer a chinock turned up at Alton Barnes(near devizies) to take white chalk to the top of the hill

Think a similar thing happened at Uffington white horse and Glastonbury Tor

Not to mention the river bridge crossing at Congresbury that I think was featured on a postage stamp

If any of the above is incorrect,please let I know cos its all in my scrambled head.

3 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Last summer a chinock turned up at Alton Barnes(near devizies) to take white chalk to the top of the hill

Not to mention the river bridge crossing at Congresbury that I think was featured on a postage stamp

If any of the above is incorrect,please let I know cos its all in my scrambled head.

Restoring national landmarks is a bit different to ferrying around some drunk Millwall fans

9 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

It’s Westbury white horse that was re-chalked by the RAF. Used to play up there when I was a boy. It’s where the battle of Eddington took place against the vikings.

I vaguely remember Chinooks being used to transport materials to strengthen the tor at Glastonbury. The paths had become worn thru repeatedly people climbing up.

15 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

I think the RAF sees these opportunities to both help out the local communities and get some free TV advertising time for a career in the service? 

Not a problem as far as I’m concerned as it’s really only costing some fuel as everything else - men and machines, has been paid for and it’s better than normal training exercises. 

2 hours ago, Red DNA said:

I think the RAF sees these opportunities to both help out the local communities and get some free TV advertising time for a career in the service? 

Not a problem as far as I’m concerned as it’s really only costing some fuel as everything else - men and machines, has been paid for and it’s better than normal training exercises. 

It helps out with training as well as doing something worthwhile. It`s why the fire brigade still rescue cats stuck in trees - they treat it as a training opportunity.

Archived