Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

The Dead of 2020 / OTIB Death Pool

17 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Proper innovators.

Without Kraftwerk, there likely wouldn't have been Joy Division and New Order as we know them, and my musical world would be sorely lacking.

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Proper innovators.

Without Kraftwerk, there likely wouldn't have been Joy Division and New Order as we know them, and my musical world would be sorely lacking.

They influenced pretty much everyone from David Bowie to Dr Dre and everything in between.

RIP Florian and thanks for what you did for music.

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

They influenced pretty much everyone from David Bowie to Dr Dre and everything in between.

RIP Florian and thanks for what you did for music.

True dat. Was just picking out the one that meant the most to me.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

According to Danny Baker they were both early versions of fake news created by the staff at the NME to see how far it would go. Another one was that Danny had inadvertently killed Bob Marley by tackling him in an exhibition football match and the injury became infected and Bob died from it.

Bob Marley did get an infection after being tackled whilst playing football but in fact it brought to the doctor’s attention the fact that the legend had cancer which ultimately killed him.

I don’t know if it was Danny Baker who tackled Bob though ! 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

True dat. Was just picking out the one that meant the most to me.

It is amazing though how many major music acts cite them as influences. For instance, I read an interview with Debbie Harry who said that Heart Of Glass was intended to be reggae - based a la The Tide Is High until they heard Kraftwerk and completely rearranged it.

The list is endless, as you say, no Joy Division, New Order, The Smiths, OMD, Pet Shop Boys, The KLF, Human League, Soft Cell and so many more great bands.

• Like 3

Another one to add to this appalling list Hillard "Sweet Pea" Atkinson, lead singer of Was Not Was. 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Bob Marley did get an infection after being tackled whilst playing football but in fact it brought to the doctor’s attention the fact that the legend had cancer which ultimately killed him.

I don’t know if it was Danny Baker who tackled Bob though ! 

Apparently Baker did play football against Marley once. A two-footed tackle from the jowly cockney felled the diminutive Rasta. 

Whether that foul led to an infection, I don't know.

What is factual is the type of melanoma Bob had couldn't be caused by an injury. Marley refused to have the toe amputated citing "religious reasons" although others have suggested a bit of vanity was involved. The cancer spread and Marley decided to treat it with "alternative medicine" methods, probably hastening his demise. Very sad. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It is amazing though how many major music acts cite them as influences. For instance, I read an interview with Debbie Harry who said that Heart Of Glass was intended to be reggae - based a la The Tide Is High until they heard Kraftwerk and completely rearranged it.

The list is endless, as you say, no Joy Division, New Order, The Smiths, OMD, Pet Shop Boys, The KLF, Human League, Soft Cell and so many more great bands.

Then throw in the likes of established artists like Bowie who came under their influence.

• Like 2

6Music are re-running two documentaries over the next few days, one on Kraftwerk and one on The Stranglers. They`re on a daft times in the middle of the night but I`m sure they`ll be on BBC Sounds after they`re broadcast:

Kraftwerk - 1am - 2am Friday

The Stranglers - 4am - 5am Sunday

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lucille was always my favourite of his, the energy he put into that song was incredible.

RIP Mr Penniman.

I always feel a bit guilty when something like this happens as you were on my list!

Edited by Lanterne Rouge
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TomF said:

2020 well on its way to surpassing 2016. Someone go and put Ringo and Paul somewhere safe - perhaps the rovers trophy cabinet 

Has there been a worst week than this in pop?  I'm struggling to think of many - horrid

7 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Weird isn`t it? We had a couple of weeks of sportspeople passing away and now we`re into music.

Shit, going to hide my guitar 😧

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, TomF said:

2020 well on its way to surpassing 2016. Someone go and put Ringo and Paul somewhere safe - perhaps the rovers trophy cabinet 

They will be extremely lonely in there

On 07/05/2020 at 18:43, Lanterne Rouge said:

6Music are re-running two documentaries over the next few days, one on Kraftwerk and one on The Stranglers. They`re on a daft times in the middle of the night but I`m sure they`ll be on BBC Sounds after they`re broadcast:

Kraftwerk - 1am - 2am Friday

The Stranglers - 4am - 5am Sunday

Just thought I`d bump this - the Kraftwerk one is on the iplayer now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52683543

Pretty Things front man, Phil May, aged 75.

Got there just before me, BR.

For anyone who hasn't heard the Pretty Things DO. One of the most exciting bands of the 60s, May taught Jagger about stagecraft and swagger, and the Who about attitude and volume.

RIP Phil May.

• Like 2
On 15/05/2020 at 22:19, Red-Robbo said:

Got there just before me, BR.

For anyone who hasn't heard the Pretty Things DO. One of the most exciting bands of the 60s, May taught Jagger about stagecraft and swagger, and the Who about attitude and volume.

RIP Phil May.

SF Sorrow !

• Like 3