IGNORED

Bristol City v Brentford Match Day 26

Septic Peg

17 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You’re my hero @LondonBristolian!

Glad you’ve got a hero! It did irk me when you kept quoting our home record this season whilst carefully omitting the debacle at home against Leeds - your stats began the game after that fixture! Bet you aren’t still impressed with our home form?! But fair play to you for changing your opinion and standpoint on our gaffer ...

6 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Never understood how people can compare LJs performance to Cotts. It was pretty evident something happened between Cotts and the board (or Lansdown) as it pretty much seemed like he had all his financial backing pulled 

As soon as he went we started finding the money for players like Tomlin

Cotts put all his money on ridiculous signings that weren’t going to happen. And he had a massive budget in league one

3 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Yes they have spent that, but also sold Maupay, Konsa, Sawyers for about £35 million - just for some perspective.

They play better football than us, all seem to know their jobs and they have one of those "identity" thingys. 

Yep, much like us re sales. Although see my post above, not defending Johnson (I’ve been tired of him for a while now) just pointing out they are a slightly different proposition this year with the new stadium incoming and aren’t quite the small fry some perceive them as. 

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Glad you’ve got a hero! It did irk me when you kept quoting our home record this season whilst carefully omitting the debacle at home against Leeds - your stats began the game after that fixture! Bet you aren’t still impressed with our home form?! But fair play to you for changing your opinion and standpoint on our gaffer ...

I’m not really up for a smug I-told-you-so debate. My point on our home form stood because it was referencing a run of games SINCE the Leeds match where we hadn’t been beaten. My view has since changed due to a change in circumstances, no other reason. The situation has evolved.

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’m not really up for a smug I-told-you-so debate. My point on our home form stood because it was referencing a run of games SINCE the Leeds match where we hadn’t been beaten. My view has since changed due to a change in circumstances, no other reason. The situation has evolved.

“Like” 

3 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

Playing Brentford reminds me of the time we relegated them - must be 25 years ago now.  One very fat, very bald Brentford fan was gesticulating incessantly to the Dolman throughout the game before being hit with "he's fat, he's round his team are going down - baldy, baldy!"  He soon shut up.

1993, thanks for reminding me.

Leroy Rosenior hat-trick, that other team in Bristol also got relegated that day.

1 minute ago, RedSA said:

Yep, much like us re sales. Although see my post above, not defending Johnson (I’ve been tired of him for a while now) just pointing out they are a slightly different proposition this year with the new stadium incoming and aren’t quite the small fry some perceive them as. 

My point is exactly that. Forget about the League positions of both of us, but look at the difference in application in both teams on the pitch. Let's say we are both the same in a financial sense overall - football is about entertainment as well as results. If we played like Brentford consistently do (with the losses added in when it doesn't work), we could see the bigger picture and what we are trying to achieve, we would in turn sell more tickets and you would have had more bums on seats the last few games - I know many ST holders who haven't been last couple of games, me included.

They started this season poorly, they kept trying to play football even when results weren't great. They are now reaping their rewards for sticking to a plan on the pitch.

Johnson should have stuck with the team and tactics we played against Huddersfield and Fulham imo, but he had to tweak it for some unknown reason and it went t1ts up surpisingly. Two games later drops 3 payers and back to playing absolute shoite, boring, predictable football. If he stuck with the Hudds/Fulham tactics and threw some caution to the wind and believed in it he wouldn't get so much grief because fans can see what the plan/identity is supposed to be.

5 minutes ago, wood_red said:

My point is exactly that. Forget about the League positions of both of us, but look at the difference in application in both teams on the pitch. Let's say we are both the same in a financial sense overall - football is about entertainment as well as results. If we played like Brentford consistently do (with the losses added in when it doesn't work), we could see the bigger picture and what we are trying to achieve, we would in turn sell more tickets and you would have had more bums on seats the last few games - I know many ST holders who haven't been last couple of games, me included.

They started this season poorly, they kept trying to play football even when results weren't great. They are now reaping their rewards for sticking to a plan on the pitch.

Johnson should have stuck with the team and tactics we played against Huddersfield and Fulham imo, but he had to tweak it for some unknown reason and it went t1ts up surpisingly. Two games later drops 3 payers and back to playing absolute shoite, boring, predictable football. If he stuck with the Hudds/Fulham tactics and threw some caution to the wind and believed in it he wouldn't get so much grief because fans can see what the plan/identity is supposed to be.

It’s cool, you don’t have to sell me on that perspective! Been there for a couple of seasons and have written  a number of (reasonably) in depth posts analysing LJs psychology and management/leadership approach which I feel is lacking in a few key areas.

I was literally just addressing some inaccuracies in the perception of Brentford’s budget and ambition this season. 

44 minutes ago, City_USA said:

Would today's performance maybe scupper some deals that are in negotiations?

Unfortunately, I think that could be the case.

Not just because of todays defeat but the manner of it is damaging with a very disjointed display even with eleven on the pitch, no discernible game plan, no shape, and poor discipline from the manager and some players. This wasn't a one off and 5 defeats and similar performances in the last 6 won't go unnoticed - 6 in the last 9 in fact which is a very indication of the travel of the club.

In terms of the game management by LJ, it was baffling in part to be honest. Shifting Weimann around into three positions including wide left after taking Eliasson off, leaving Smith at centre back instead of getting Moore on asap (who had a very good game btw). To cap it, LJ apparently gets a red card (?) for argy bargy with the Brentford staff.

That all points to the perception of a manager under pressure and unable to deal with it and the perception of a club in freefall. So, yes, there is the potential to have an adverse effect on any incomings this month.

We are still just 2 points from the playoffs but imo he is now on borrowed time because performances don't indicate any progression (the reverse is apparent) and his reaction to pressure (which he has brought upon himself) is bad.

He's now on borrowed time imo.

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Isn't that effectively what Ashton is doing? 

He’s just an administrator isn’t he? 

We need a quality, experienced ex football manager - to oversee the whole football side of our operations and report direct to SL. 

The theory of Uncle Steve’s strategy maybe fine, but in practice it ain’t working.

If we’re honest, we are currently miles off a Premier League team in waiting and may as well spend the rest of the Season identifying why that is and putting it right. We need to establish why the likes of Sheffield Utd can pass us and soon, I suspect, one or other of Brentford or Preston. 

5 minutes ago, RedRock said:

He’s just an administrator isn’t he? 

We need a quality, experienced ex football manager - to oversee the whole football side of our operations and report direct to SL. 

The theory of Uncle Steve’s strategy maybe fine, but in practice it ain’t working.

If we’re honest, we are currently miles off a Premier League team in waiting and may as well spend the rest of the Season identifying why that is and putting it right. We need to establish why the likes of Sheffield Utd can pass us and soon, I suspect, one or other of Brentford or Preston. 

There’s a reason that - on paper- less equipped teams continuously do better than us. That reason is SL. 

29 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Yes, Cotts is not a yes man and that's what SL wants, that is why he wanted LJ.

Don't buy this narrative at all, look at Pat Lam with the Bears who is anything but a yes man. I think SL wants more than flash in the pan success, building for sustainability and Bristol going forward. 

I think LJ has that key part covered and was generally trending upward, I guess the bit coming in to play now is just how far LJ can go on the soccer pyramid. At some point similar questions will be asked of Lam and success but we aren't there yet. LJ is a bit further down the road, how long that road is remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Against one of the best teams in the league against ten men? 

But is this not just the problem? You have to ask yourself why Brentford are one of the better teams in the division in the short space of time their new manager has been in post and City's manager has had 4 years and every end of year is the same old story. And as another mentioned Exeter held out with ten away at a fellow promotion hopeful in FGR; a similarity of circumstance. To lose 4 nil at home does suggest a very poor understanding of how to shore up your defence and its a genuine concern when the man has been in charge for 4 years, spent millions on hits, near misses and complete duds and still cannot avoid the inevitable annual collapse. How many more years is this gonna happen before SL decides, for himself, that City will not reach the top flight with this set up or unless significant coaching changes are made?

Archived