IGNORED

The Johnson remain camp

Alan Dicks

2 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Your thoughts please? 

I don’t think he’s the man to get us promoted but I’m also not calling for his head - unless we can replace him with someone better. Only one for me that’s available would be Hughton but would he want to come here? And can anyone see SL actually dropping the axe?

If we are to get rid of him, we need to make sure there’s a better manager brought in. 

Let’s be honest, he’s been our best manager since his father, we therefore need to bring somebody in who can take us where he can’t, which is the top 6. 

Sadly, I can’t see that sort of manager wanting to come here, which will probably mean either Holden or Mcallister would take charge...

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Name a better manager in the last 30 years? By better I mean consistently earning some of our highest league positions in our history.

You would also have to consider the financial backing in that as well.

First of all there's a difference between agreeing with everything he does and generally supporting him. I know people are looking for outlets to spew their anger.

There's multiple years of on field progression, backed up with the clearly identified problems dating back to the failings of the last window. We need a forward and a defender. And also the instability and problems a new manager can cause.

This game didn't change anything in my opinion, apart from the bizarre decision not to put on Moore straight away. But I'll wait to hear the explanation before I go crazy about that.

So I am happy for him to sign a striker and a defender, and if that doesn't work (assuming they don't get injured straight away) and we don't see clear improvement, the recruitment department and coaching team should ALL go at the end of the season.

At the end of the season, as results are judged at the end of the season, not after every result.

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Name a better manager in the last 30 years? By better I mean consistently earning some of our highest league positions in our history.

Joe Jordan.

gary johnson

steve cotterill

probably danny Wilson 

Johnson certainly not the worst manager we’ve ever had but plenty of better managers playing better football

Generally speaking im in the LJ stay camp, our squad has never been so talented and it’s only a bad patch like any team can have. 
However it’s becoming very obvious the “fluid, fast paced, attacking” football we once had has gone, and this new ‘ lets be solid, frustrate the opposition and sneak wins by odd moments of individual quality’ is wearing thin to everyone. 
LJ will be here untill summer, but I have a feeling he’ll be gone on then as I can’t see us being in the Top 6 which will be SL minimum requirement

Difficult to defend at the moment (pardon the pun).

Ultimately if we can snap out of this rut sharpish then their is still all to play for, we are in no danger of relegation and if we can put a run of results together in the same way Millwall, Reading, Hull and Boro have done over the last month or so then the play-offs is still a strong posibility. Fulham and Preston are currently in similar poor form which only highlights how close this league is at the moment.

In LJ's defence he has continually had to rebuild a team following the loss of players in almost every summer window I can recall which is going to make producing a consistent cohesive team performance very difficult to achieve, on top of this due to our policy of signing young players with potential resale value we are always going to have to live with individual errors / inconsistencies associated with younger players.

We have had a serious injury problem this season with Afobe, Kalas, Dasilva, Nagyetc being out for prolonged spells which will only further disrupt what we are trying to achieve.

For all of those reasons I do sympathise with LJ and don't believe he should be sacked as it stands, what I think irks alot of people is the use of "corporate" language i.e. DNA, Identity, Culture etc. It sounds great when results are going well but when the pressure is on I think fans would prefer the use of more normal approach to media.

I don't think SL is going to be looking at making any change at this moment in time, if the season peters out and we end up bottom half it is a possibility in the summer though. WHat people need to rememebr though is we are only going to be looking at a similar type of coach to replace him given our internal structure so be careful what you wish for!

1 minute ago, city1983 said:

Joe Jordan.

gary johnson

steve cotterill

probably danny Wilson 

Johnson certainly not the worst manager we’ve ever had but plenty of better managers playing better football

Tbf only GJ has taken us to a position as high as his son has, and the football he played certainly wasn’t great

13 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

The best manager we’ve had in my life time. Get rid because he’s Going through a dip in form ?

That reminds me of the Man Utd fan who phoned Talksport saying Moyes had to be sacked as he was the worst manager he’d ever seen in all his years as a Utd fan - the presenter asked how old he was? “18” he answered !!!! So he’d only ever known Fergie and Moyes as Man Utd managers and decided Moyes was the worst he’d ever seen! Superb!

It’s not just today is it. This season, given the football we have played I still think our current position is flattering. If Brentford are a true PO contender they were a country mile ahead of us all over the pitch.

Nothing against LJ at all. For every club we look at that is above us and spent less money, there is one below us that is spending more. Equally we do seem to have to build a new side every season. He done OK and we are a pretty established Championship side.

Equally, sometimes it just needs to be shaken up and a change is needed. I think on balance that time is now. The football is not fun to watch whatever the score, we should be at no real of relegation this year and that gives a new hand a bit if time.

Sad. Good innings. Time for a change.

13 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Your first sentence is completely different to your 2nd but you're implying it means the same thing.  

Personally, Terry Cooper is the best manager in my lifetime because of the context.  Where we were when he came in and where we were when he left.  LJ has moved us up the table a few places. 

Both his father and Cotts turned us round.  It's been a period of consolidation. 

Not my quotes but sums the little tosser up

'The Peter Principle. Managers are over promoted until they pass their level of competence.

Senior was a short jovial man with a larger than life demeanour, Junior is a short man'

'This is in stark contrast to the last manager whom ALL players had full respect for whether they were playing or not.

Junior is spiteful and ducks players over to prove a point.

Players previously knew what to expect and what was required (including fans).. these days I think many just expect the worst.'

'It's a naturally not nice personality mixed with having the pish ripped out of him growing up, due to his height, added with a dash of nobody taking him seriously as an adult, due to his height, which has caused it tbf.'

Archived