IGNORED

The Johnson remain camp

Alan Dicks

1 hour ago, brad blit said:

Generally speaking im in the LJ stay camp, our squad has never been so talented and it’s only a bad patch like any team can have. 
However it’s becoming very obvious the “fluid, fast paced, attacking” football we once had has gone, and this new ‘ lets be solid, frustrate the opposition and sneak wins by odd moments of individual quality’ is wearing thin to everyone. 
LJ will be here untill summer, but I have a feeling he’ll be gone on then as I can’t see us being in the Top 6 which will be SL minimum requirement

This is not the most talented squad ever, a few decent, if inconsistent individuals, and not a lot of balance. Not enough options up front, midfield too lightweight, which partly explains why we need the 3 centre backs.

55 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Don’t really think he can be held accountable for individual errors and a sending off which was essentially our downfall . Thought we played quite well with 10 men at times 

I thought Brentford took their foot off the pedal, and it could easily have been 6 or 7 to them.

Look at our 2nd half stats, if you really think we did anything from the 2nd to the 3rd goal. Like LJ thinks.

If he had taken Eliason off,  when we were either level or even at 1-0. Then I could have understood it. But it at 2-0. That's just like hoisting up the white flag.

He's just said on RB that "I kept Smith at cb, to see what they would do. Then made the change when I realised that weren't going to do what I thought". Conviently forgot to add that it was after their second goal. He then compounded the error by taking off our most creative midfielder, ie S##t this could go bad, and we could lose heavily. He completely bottled it. Hence the stats I mentioned above.

You could tell he had got the line up wrong (Williams v Watkins) even before they both got booked. We needed a more mobile cb on him, and Moore would have been a much better option.

As for our 2nd sub (Nagy cdm) for  winger at 2-0. Sigh, let's really go for it LJ. 

He knows he made mistakes today. Hence his probable reaction at FT with their manager.

We won't sack him, and he won't resign. He has probably one of the safest relationships with a chairman in football. It's all too comfy, and unaccountable for me unfortunately.

I'm sure we will finish this season somewhere been 10-16th. If that's good enough for the board, then so be it. It will be though, the first season of us going backwards in 4.

We won't go down with LJ, but he's not the coach to get us where we want to go either. 

Tough decisions will have to be made at some stage, before the team stagnates too much. Much like we found ourselves under his father.

We’ll NEVER progress any further under LJ. Oldham and Barnsley before us experienced exactly the same losing streaks under his leadership and I recall Tykes fans generally jumping for joy when he left with many comments about his negative football . Well , here we are again for the 3rd year in a row . Entirely down to whether mid table mediocrity is what our owner wants or not . I’m guessing either his action or inaction will tell us shortly! 

How many of his previous clubs were sorry to see him go?

how many would like him to return?

how many senior and experienced players has he fallen out with?

when do you ever hear current team members saying how good he is?

why is it so difficult to Recognise his achievements?

i have really tried to be positive about him, but the disappointment he serves up gives the team and fans no confidence in a successful future other than a gold medal for post match Bullshit

37 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Not quite fair on Johnson Snr. He worked a minor miracle on a then shoe string budget, as opposed to Johnson Jnr who has spent more and more year on year.

......and raised more and more year on year.

1 minute ago, Redtucks said:

Hasn't that been said every season he's been here?

Yes it has and much has been made of our season on season improvements under him . Ultimately we’ve got nowhere near the play offs once in reality . Not much good for an athlete to improve their finishing times season after season if they still lose every race ! 

Used to believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy, but sussed em out fairly quickly. Have stuck with LJ perhaps a bit longer through some dodgy patches. Can't do it anymore. He can turn dirt to gold, but is quite capable of the reverse without having a clue about what happened in either case. Time to get rid.

4 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

......and raised more and more year on year.

Let’s get this right once and for all...

As others have said, Mark Ashton does the finances. Mark Ashton is the man who has sold the players for the money we have. This is not a Johnson thing!

Johnson is given everything he asks and what do we end up with... boring, mediocre, and sometimes quite frankly, embarrassing football!

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

As others have said, Mark Ashton does the finances. Mark Ashton is the man who has sold the players for the money we have. This is not a Johnson thing!

Johnson is given everything he asks and what do we end up with... boring, mediocre, and sometimes quite frankly, embarrassing football!

I think you will find (having heard it from both LJ and MA) that they all work as a team.

10 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Yes it has and much has been made of our season on season improvements under him . Ultimately we’ve got nowhere near the play offs once in reality . Not much good for an athlete to improve their finishing times season after season if they still lose every race ! 

But if we continue to improve season after season we are bound to win the race!

(Aren't we?)

:innocent06:

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Name a manager who’s been allowed to spend as much on transfers and sign as many players in the last 30 years?

He deserves every penny of that. He has had to lose his best players every season. He made us ten million out of Reid for his masterstroke of playing him up top and webster making 15 odd million. Plus giving Lloyd kelly his chance from the youth set up. 

LJ is still in credit. I don't think it's as bad as everyone makes out. We have been through much worse. 

All teams go through this. Most teams in the world need a new striker and a new centre half. We are no different. It ain't pretty and it ain't fun. But it's far from the doom and gloom some would make out. 

2 points off the play offs and significant return on investment keeps him in a job. For now. 

Problem for Lee is his maturity level. I think ultimately it will be his downfall. I can only comment on what I see, but last couple of games he has been getting involved in off field events. This is a reoccurring theme. It's not a one off. This is a complete lack of discipline and maturity. I just wonder how he handles himself when things go against him in and around the team. What I see on the bench is cringeworthy at times. 

Anyway all that aside I think he stays for now. He has a transfer window and 4 months to take care of this. It will either be a wobble and we move on, or something more of a downward spiral and the knives will be out. 

Stevo

9 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

LJ is still in credit. I don't think it's as bad as everyone makes out. We have been through much worse. 

All teams go through this. Most teams in the world need a new striker and a new centre half. We are no different. It ain't pretty and it ain't fun. But it's far from the doom and gloom some would make out. 

2 points off the play offs and significant return on investment keeps him in a job. For now. 

Problem for Lee is his maturity level. I think ultimately it will be his downfall. I can only comment on what I see, but last couple of games he has been getting involved in off field events. This is a reoccurring theme. It's not a one off. This is a complete lack of discipline and maturity. I just wonder how he handles himself when things go against him in and around the team. What I see on the bench is cringeworthy at times. 

Anyway all that aside I think he stays for now. He has a transfer window and 4 months to take care of this. It will either be a wobble and we move on, or something more of a downward spiral and the knives will be out. 

Stevo

The problem with LJ is that it's difficult to know whether we've been through worse, until we are certain that we are over the current "worst" run!

He is a bloody infuriating coach as he doesn't seem able to manage "normal" form and results- you know, a couple of wins, a draw, then a defeat, rinse and repeat. No, he either goes on long unbeaten runs or long losing streaks. On the unbeaten runs you feel he's getting there, but on the losing streaks you feel he's lost it again.

8 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

Stevo

Can't give this enough likes. Sums it up perfectly for me. He clearly struggles under pressure: two reds, and a third had an official seen the tunnel incident befor Xmas. And listen to the post match interviews. And the worry is that he clearly reacts badly, without thinking and that's not good in football management where you need a clear head. And that will be a reason why the players respect him less.

But I do wonder whether you're right that he'll have that much more leeway shown. I think SL would give him that leeway for the on field situation, but maybe not the off field reaction. We've been here before of course, with his Dad. 

4 minutes ago, italian dave said:

And the worry is that he clearly reacts badly, without thinking and that's not good in football management where you need a clear head. And that will be a reason why the players respect him less.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. Thanks Dave. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Name a manger who’s raised as much revenue for the club as LJ - not just the last 30 years either - ever.

And how many of those that LJ has sold did he actually buy? The answer is one: Webster. And even that was a tip off from Cole Skuse.

The rest of the sales were either Academy products (Bryan, Reid, Kelly) or bought by previous managers. On that basis SO’D was a better manager than LJ, considering how much and how many of the players that he brought in have been sold for a good profit after a number of years in the team (Flint, Pack, Fielding).

We’ve made progress year on year with him at the helm and it feels the academy is in a better position with a clearer strategy. Yes he’s been given money and that’s helped us improve.but at the same time we’ve sold key players. There are some question marks about some of the recruitment but not sure if LJ always had accountability on transfers whilst at the helm. 

If we don’t improve this season I would expect LJ to be moved on as SL would be expecting a return on his investment. What ever your opinion on LJ he is a Bristol City fan and cares deeply for the club. 

1 minute ago, ncnsbcfc said:

And then spent the most of it, on unremarkable players.

maybe...but my point is that LJ barely features. He didn't buy or sell, or in most cases even develop, the players whose fees he's being given credit for.

Mark Ashton wheels and deals and has a reputation for doing it well.

Archived