IGNORED

The Johnson remain camp

Alan Dicks

5 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

If we don’t improve this season I would expect LJ to be moved on as SL would be expecting a return on his investment.

I mentioned this on a different thread. There are too sides to this business. The playing side and player recruitment and subsequent selling at a profit. 

Both of which in the grand scheme of things are working. 

SL will judge LJ on both criteria and I believe he is far from pulling the trigger. The problem is for SL is that if he brings a new manager in, he might want to change what can only be considered a highly profitable and hugely successful program.

LJ tows the line. This in turn gives Mark Ashton a bigger role in that process. All this is at risk if he sacks LJ. 

Honestly I don't think we are in the hole big enough for SL sack him. 

32 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

We’ve made progress year on year with him at the helm and it feels the academy is in a better position with a clearer strategy. Yes he’s been given money and that’s helped us improve.but at the same time we’ve sold key players. There are some question marks about some of the recruitment but not sure if LJ always had accountability on transfers whilst at the helm. 

If we don’t improve this season I would expect LJ to be moved on as SL would be expecting a return on his investment. What ever your opinion on LJ he is a Bristol City fan and cares deeply for the club. 

He is not a City supporter. He is an ex pro who played for us while his father managed us.

Today's hammering was a direct result of Williams "losing it".

But not bringing on Moore to fill the hole in the back four is unforgivable. And maybe taking Eliasson off, left us without the one player who could possibly cause Brentford problems on the break.

We lost, I don't like that but can live with it if we do our best. I thought the players did their bit but the coaching staff showed their incredible naivety again.

Time for a change!

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Tbf only GJ has taken us to a position as high as his son has, and the football he played certainly wasn’t great

I'm pretty sure that if Lee Johnson had taken over with us at the bottom of League One, like his father and Steve Cotterill, we would now be about mid table in League One.

But he might have improved our position every season...

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

A ******* dip in form ! Take your head out of your ass . He keeps making the same mistakes but wants more money to throw at the problems he’s created. 

Can we get this guy laid? A quick whip round and get him a brass or something.

Calm down fella, even after this bad run of form we’re in a better position than we have been for 99% of our history. Like I said, you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone. 

I am in the Remain camp. Keep Lee until the end of the season. And let him go mad in January. Then, in May, when we finish 20th, escaping relegation on the last day, we - the forum - shall not cease from explanations, and the end of all our explanations will be to arrive where we started in February '16 and Steve shall know his head coach for the first time.

I bet they don't have stuff like this on that Rovers gas shat

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Name a manger who’s raised as much revenue for the club as LJ - not just the last 30 years either - ever.

I’d say it was MA as much as anyone who’s raised the revenue through his negotiating skills during transfer talks ...

2 hours ago, Redtucks said:

Name a manager who's raised as much in transfer fees?

As per my reply to Robbored above, I don’t think for a minute that’s just down to LJ...

2 hours ago, Beni71 said:

We’ve made progress year on year with him at the helm and it feels the academy is in a better position with a clearer strategy. Yes he’s been given money and that’s helped us improve.but at the same time we’ve sold key players. There are some question marks about some of the recruitment but not sure if LJ always had accountability on transfers whilst at the helm. 

If we don’t improve this season I would expect LJ to be moved on as SL would be expecting a return on his investment. What ever your opinion on LJ he is a Bristol City fan and cares deeply for the club. 

He ain't a City fan. 

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’d say it was MA as much as anyone who’s raised the revenue through his negotiating skills during transfer talks ...

As per my reply to Robbored above, I don’t think for a minute that’s just down to LJ...

I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier posts 75 and 76.

4 hours ago, city1983 said:

Joe Jordan.

gary johnson

steve cotterill

probably danny Wilson 

Johnson certainly not the worst manager we’ve ever had but plenty of better managers playing better football

4 hours ago, Notbarrymanc said:

I really hope you’re not being serious. None of the above have anything like the track record Lee has. You only need to look at seasonal finishes. 

Unfortunately this seems like another case of don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone, just like we had with GJ way back when. 

I think it’s you that isn’t being serious ... the managers on that list have multiple promotions on their collective CVs, Jordan took us to a league cup semi final and won promotion whilst City manager. GJ’s hugely successful career is well documented, including getting City promoted and then into a play off final, Cotts won our first proper trophy for 60 years whilst getting City promoted and Danny Wilson took Barnsley up into the premier league then took City into two consecutive play offs.

I couldn’t give a damn about the levels at which they managed, the four names on that list achieved things - their track records far  exceed LJ’s - he didn’t exactly set league one alight did he? And he’s basically achieved nothing - no honours on his CV whatsoever, unlike the four successful guys you’ve basically dismissed as being worse managers than LJ ...

Too many knee jerk reactions here. Everybody so desperate to get to the PL. Then what ? SL / MA / the manager are cocks that don’t get us into Europe? Perspective people

i can’t think of many managers that lose their best players season after season and improve league position. Be careful what you wish for

Me personally I would keep LJ till the end of the season. I think people need to understand that we are still two points off the playoffs, 5 points off second and to add balance 5 points of 18th. The season is very much still all to play for and in my opinion he's earned the right till have till the end of the season. If he's not improved on last season's finish I think he will be moved on. But a bit of perspective here......otib in meltdown because we're languishing in mid table in the championship. 4/5 years ago that's what we all wanted...to be a stable championship team. Agreed he makes some very odd decisions at times( Elaison) and says some very odd things( take positives out of today, we did well between 2-3rd goals) but he's also done excellent things for the club and he wants to do well. Let's review at the end of the season?! 

15 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Me personally I would keep LJ till the end of the season. I think people need to understand that we are still two points off the playoffs, 5 points off second and to add balance 5 points of 18th. The season is very much still all to play for and in my opinion he's earned the right till have till the end of the season. If he's not improved on last season's finish I think he will be moved on. But a bit of perspective here......otib in meltdown because we're languishing in mid table in the championship. 4/5 years ago that's what we all wanted...to be a stable championship team. Agreed he makes some very odd decisions at times( Elaison) and says some very odd things( take positives out of today, we did well between 2-3rd goals) but he's also done excellent things for the club and he wants to do well. Let's review at the end of the season?! 

5 points off 3rd. 
5 points off 16th. 

The old x points off y position gets used every week and we keep getting lower and lower when the inverse of the above is used. 

1 hour ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Can we get this guy laid? A quick whip round and get him a brass or something.

Calm down fella, even after this bad run of form we’re in a better position than we have been for 99% of our history. Like I said, you don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone. 

You condescending ***** . I’ve got my opinion you got yours . If you don’t like it don’t ******* read it

22 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think it’s you that isn’t being serious ... the managers on that list have multiple promotions on their collective CVs, Jordan took us to a league cup semi final and won promotion whilst City manager. GJ’s hugely successful career is well documented, including getting City promoted and then into a play off final, Cotts won our first proper trophy for 60 years whilst getting City promoted and Danny Wilson took Barnsley up into the premier league then took City into two consecutive play offs.

I couldn’t give a damn about the levels at which they managed, the four names on that list achieved things - their track records far  exceed LJ’s - he didn’t exactly set league one alight did he? And he’s basically achieved nothing - no honours on his CV whatsoever, unlike the four successful guys you’ve basically dismissed as being worse managers than LJ ...

I’d gladly wager that had Cotts been given the financial backing that LJ has been given he’d be doing better. 

He wanted to sign Maguire, Gayle and Gray for relative peanuts. 

Not exactly been a level playing field has it. 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’d gladly wager that had Cotts been given the financial backing that LJ has been given he’d be doing better. 

He wanted to sign Maguire, Gayle and Gray for relative peanuts. 

Not exactly been a level playing field has it. 

Relative peanuts?

Gayle and Gray would still be our record signings if those deals had happened wouldn’t they?

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

...and? Not sure those posts prove much

They aren't intendended to prove anything other than point out that Lee Johnson seems to be criticised for the spending, whilst Mark Ashton seems to get the credit for the sales.

1 minute ago, Redtucks said:

They aren't intendended to prove anything other than point out that Lee Johnson seems to be criticised for the spending, whilst Mark Ashton seems to get the credit for the sales.

Fair enough and it’s an interesting point. From what I gather though, we now have a pretty extensive recruitment team and they work on a large number of transfer targets at any one point in time, LJ has the final say on signing a player once he has been verified and MA has negotiated a fee for signing him - so that is LJ being allowed to approve us spending money on signings? He’s been given permission to sanction incoming players and their transfer fees. And when we sell someone, MA is the guy who negotiates the transfer fee with the buying club, so nothing to do with LJ?

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough and it’s an interesting point. From what I gather though, we now have a pretty extensive recruitment team and they work on a large number of transfer targets at any one point in time, LJ has the final say on signing a player once he has been verified and MA has negotiated a fee for signing him - so that is LJ being allowed to approve us spending money on signings? He’s been given permission to sanction incoming players and their transfer fees. And when we sell someone, MA is the guy who negotiates the transfer fee with the buying club, so nothing to do with LJ?

But surely LJ has a say in who is sold, and also at what price.

As I posted earlier, I have heard both LJ and MA state that they both discuss each transfer and that they work as a team.

As such I see it unfair that one is criticised for the spending, whilst the other is credited for the sales.

7 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

Um,  Cotterell, Wembley, the double, what has Johnson achieved besides sweet FA, 

Well kept us in the league for a start and we are right now wouldn’t be possible without Johnson. Forever thankful for what Cotts has done but if he was still in charge would we be where we are now?

Archived