Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

westonred

Ollie Watkins

Ollie Watkins was booked in the 9th minute today why didn't we get in his face, kick him up in the air, anything possible to get a reaction and get him sent off. No we don't get anywhere near him all game hence he scores 2 goals against us. This was tactically naive, any other team would have had the experience and gamesmanship to get nasty against him. We are too nice and tactically clueless time to say bye and Thanks for all you've done LJ but we won't go any further with you in charge

Edited by westonred
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Ripped us a new one today :sad26:

I can't recall how serious we were about trying to sign him?

We were too tight?

Exactly what I was thinking, clearly got a little temper. Few sly elbows, kick ins, a few words, this is what the top teams would of done. Hunt should of shoved him off the pitch not long after Williams got sent off to try and get under his skin. But did nothing.

I think the only player that would of seen this and tried to get him a second yellow would of been Williams..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dodgy_Giefer said:

Was that the guy who did the rainbow flick? An actual rainbow flick in a real game of football? 😳

That was Benrahma.

4 minutes ago, Dodgy_Giefer said:

Was that the guy who did the rainbow flick? An actual rainbow flick in a real game of football? 😳

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

That was Benrahma.

Takes the piss really doesn't it, that summed the game up.

1 minute ago, Taz said:

Takes the piss really doesn't it, that summed the game up.

Yep.

That annoyed me as much as anything else. We didn't even have the gumption to try and put him into the stand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yep.

That annoyed me as much as anything else. We didn't even have the gumption to try and put him into the stand.

Exactly.

Also Watkins was booked at the same time as Williams, so why we never tried to wind him up I don't know.

Hunt, Kalas, even Smith, easily could have tried it.

Edited by Taz
Corrected.
  • Like 1

Every time we play Brentford it frustrates me that we didn’t sign Watkins. Playing locally at Exeter, we’ll within our price range, a very obviously talented player..... why the hell didn’t we sign him? 

3 minutes ago, Jacki said:

Every time we play Brentford it frustrates me that we didn’t sign Watkins. Playing locally at Exeter, we’ll within our price range, a very obviously talented player..... why the hell didn’t we sign him? 

Prob didn’t have the attributes to fit in with our DNA.......

Best player on the park by miles...constantly moving for his team mates, strong, aggressive, intelligent, Fantastic footballer. Was constantly comparing his movement with our front line. What a difference. Shame we didn't bust a gut to buy him when at Exeter...we scouted him enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westonred said:

Ollie Watkins was booked in the 9th minute today why didn't we get in his face, kick him up in the air, anything possible to get a reaction and get him sent off. No we don't get anywhere near him all game hence he scores 2 goals against us. This was tactically naive, any other team would have had the experience and gamesmanship to get nasty against him. We are too nice and tactically clueless time to say bye and Thanks for all you've done LJ but we won't go any further with you in charge

Agree with this, left the ground thinking we are just to nice and soft, hence why we get bullied in games, when players are going at you like today we need to get some firm tackles and let them know they are there. Some of the tackling from Hunt and Dasilva was a joke. Losing needs to hurt more and make the players nasty and prepared to go toe to toe and get in there face. The only fight seems to have been LJ after the game.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jacki said:

If we had signed him he would have been subbed off 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Though he was quility today, really dose amaze me we didn't put more effort into signing him when he was at Exeter , if we couldn't make a better off than Brentford did then there is something wrong with our recruitment team 

42 minutes ago, shelts said:

Clever from Watkins rattling the experienced Williams . A player on City’s radar while at Exeter . 

We're like the Arsenal of the championship, *nearly* signed every single decent player but it fell through.

I assume we also nearly signed Ethan Pinnock as well, who was originally at Forest Green Rovers?

1 hour ago, Snufflelufagus said:

If we had signed him he would have been subbed off 

He wouldn't have started, instead being sent to W-S-M as a development opportunity.....

2 hours ago, shelts said:

Clever from Watkins rattling the experienced Williams . A player on City’s radar while at Exeter . 

We could and should have signed him.......another cock up

2 hours ago, Jacki said:

Did we decide on COD instead as Exeter wanted a bit more money? Mental. 

2 hours ago, Dodgy_Giefer said:

No it was the Brentford no.10 who did the rainbow flick. Unbelievable ! 

4 hours ago, westonred said:

Doesn't that risk a red card for the side doing that these days? Game's changed!

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Doesn't that risk a red card for the side doing that these days? Game's changed!

Not if your clever Happens nearly every game just not ours we're to nice

• Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

That was Benrahma.

Must say he looked the best player on the pitch and ran the game. Don’t often praise opposition players but the lad Ozzed class. What a snip at £1.5 million when u consider the money we’ve blown 

4 hours ago, Sniper said:

Ripped us a new one today :sad26:

I can't recall how serious we were about trying to sign him?

We were too tight?

Genuinely didn’t think he was that great. Just was in the right position every time for his goals. Benrahma and that Norgaard on the other hand utter class

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Genuinely didn’t think he was that great. Just was in the right position every time for his goals. Benrahma and that Norgaard on the other hand utter class

Being in the right place at the right time - wasn’t that what Gary Lineker did?

• Like 1

It's okay we have Mr 27 goals in 3.5 years Afobe instead (on loan)

• Aubergine 1
  • Rovers 1

5 hours ago, westonred said:

Because, according to the wise ones on here, it’s only Warnock’s teams and Alex Neil’s teams who indulge in such despicable tactics, and they label it cheating. I agree with you. I call it ‘streetwise’ but there you go ... we are way too nice as you say, soft and naive when it comes to the robust side of the game, it ain’t cheating, it’s part of the game ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

47 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Because, according to the wise ones on here, it’s only Warnock’s teams and Alex Neil’s teams who indulge in such despicable tactics, and they label it cheating. I agree with you. I call it ‘streetwise’ but there you go ... we are way too nice as you say, soft and naive when it comes to the robust side of the game, it ain’t cheating, it’s part of the game ...

Given how we've been prone to being unduly penalised and especially since last April, I dunno how well that holds. 

Interesting when watching back on Quest, part of the commentary/analysis unless I misheard, it said that Williams had been frustrated by Watkins. 

Who is to say that eg one of our defenders kicking Watkins up in the air wouldn't have resulted in a straight red? Modern game and our track record especially! 

Worth reminding you (and everyone else) in the last 6-7 months when off season excluded:

1) Aston Villa away. Goal very questionably disallowed and they get a joke of a pen. That's two or one bare minimum.

2) Derby at home. Semenyo straight red. For what??  Two or three. 

3) Preston Away. Multiple. Multiple debating points but one of their goals- possibly their 3rd which was the equaliser with their guy climbing all over our defender. Three or four! 

4) WBA away. Their 3rd and 4th both evidently offside. Five or six! 

5) Sheffield Wednesday away. We didn't deserve anything, they were better but the penalty was a bit of a gift! 

And that's just the ones I immediately recall! Between 5 and 7...

Being cute sounds like it wouldn't be much use  to us, probably get us more howlers really. 

Something that posters such as @westonred perhaps fail to factor in. Some of these decisions personally don't give me much hope about how well we get or will get away with the dark arts! 

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Given how we've been prone to being unduly penalised and especially since last April, I dunno how well that holds. 

Interesting when watching back on Quest, part of the commentary/analysis unless I misheard, it said that Williams had been frustrated by Watkins. 

Who is to say that eg one of our defenders kicking Watkins up in the air wouldn't have resulted in a straight red? Modern game and our track record especially! 

Worth reminding you (and everyone else) in the last 6-7 months when off season excluded:

1) Aston Villa away. Goal very questionably disallowed and they get a joke of a pen. That's two or one bare minimum.

2) Derby at home. Semenyo straight red. For what??  Two or three. 

3) Preston Away. Multiple. Multiple debating points but one of their goals- possibly their 3rd which was the equaliser with their guy climbing all over our defender. Three or four! 

4) WBA away. Their 3rd and 4th both evidently offside. Five or six! 

5) Sheffield Wednesday away. We didn't deserve anything, they were better but the penalty was a bit of a gift! 

And that's just the ones I immediately recall! Between 5 and 7...

Being cute sounds like it wouldn't be much use  to us, probably get us more howlers really. 

Something that posters such as @westonred perhaps fail to factor in. Some of these decisions personally don't give me much hope about how well we get or will get away with the dark arts! 

‘Two or one’ what?

‘Two or three’ what?

’Three or four’ what?

’Five or six’ what?

’Between 5 and 7’ what?

....are you talking about decisions against us? Cos my post wasn’t about that so I don’t get this response if so....

3 hours ago, Honiton Tony said:

We could and should have signed him.......another cock up

He was on our doorstep. A class player . One that got away 

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

‘Two or one’ what?

‘Two or three’ what?

’Three or four’ what?

’Five or six’ what?

’Between 5 and 7’ what?

....are you talking about decisions against us? Cos my post wasn’t about that so I don’t get this response if so....

5-7 big decisions. 

I'm saying that when we give a ref a big decision to make it is often against us... 

Perhaps we're cross purposes though!

2 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

I think Ollie Watkins would walk into every Championship teams starting line up. Well, possibly not ours (just a liittle joke in the darkest times! :))

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm saying that when we give a ref a big decision to make it is often against us... 

From the start yesterday I had this feeling, couple of blatant pushes and when Fam got dragged to the ground then penalised for holding the blokes shirt!

Anyway Watkins. Didn’t Exeter want £750k to £1m from us when we enquired, then accepted £500k when Brentford came in? Might be misremembering but I recall something like this.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

From the start yesterday I had this feeling, couple of blatant pushes and when Fam got dragged to the ground then penalised for holding the blokes shirt!

Anyway Watkins. Didn’t Exeter want £750k to £1m from us when we enquired, then accepted £500k when Brentford came in? Might be misremembering but I recall something like this.

Took Diedhiou a while to win anything much...but then he often does, refs don't give him much. 

Yes I recall something similar too, reading about it on here (the underlying story, specifically numbers wise unsure) but they did try and charge us more didn't they?

At least as I've seen on here before!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I recall their defender trying to give Fam a piggy back yesterday and we just waved play on. Ref was awful again