Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Respecting him which I do for what he's do to make us a stable championship team has nothing to do with thinking he's never going to take us to the prem which I also do, just feels to me that he's took us as far as he can and nothing is going to change that, 

• Like 2

You can be grateful for what he has done and recognise what he is not achieving with the resources he has been given. Both are correct. Expectations change, deal with it.

• Like 6

hmm...I respect the OP,  but if LJ had gone 18 months ago he'd have achieved no less. It's not a lack of respect to consider his time up...he's had umpteen 'last pushes' of support, and come up short. 

EDIT: no pun intended!

Edited by Red Exile
  • Like 2

Don’t buy the whole “deserves” argument. He is paid handsomely to do a job. That’s his reward. We literally owe him nothing.

I can fully appreciate that Johnson has established us as a top-half side. But I no longer believe he is the man to take us further. Our performances are simply too inconsistent.

Rather than allow Johnson to spend the club’s money because of some overly personal notion that he somehow “deserves” that privilege, I would suggest now is the time to make a change - preferably Chris Hughton. The new man would not be expected to achieve promotion this season but neither would he have the pressure of a relegation fight. We’ve become stale. Now is a good time to freshen things up.

• Like 11
6 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

As most of you will know, I'm a fan of Lee Johnson, but, today I've got to say my confidence was a little bit rocked.  Yes, I've got strong opinions, but I'm also not arrogant enough to have my opinion swayed, changed or debated.  

Lets take a step back for a second, which I know will be hard, especially if you have just witnessed that complete shower.  Now, what Lee Johnson has done for this club over the years is far bigger than these last 6 games.  It really is.  He's turned this football club into a well run, respected and rated football club within English football (and outside). 
Little old "Brizzle" was nowhere to be seen on the footballing spectrum.  Ironically, the only reason we are having these sorts of discussions is a testament to how far he has taken us!  A few seasons ago, we were counting down the points until we reached the magical 50 mark. 

This leads me on to my point.  Without Lee and the rest of his staff, we as a football club wouldn't be in this position.  We wouldn't, I think we can all agree on that.  I'm not just talking about the team, I'm talking about technology, scouting methods, ethos.  There is so much more to being a manager than simply picking a starting 11. 

What I'm trying to say is, I'm shocked at the simple lack of respect that is being shown by some of our supporters towards someone who has taken this club and pushed it forward to a new level. A level, where we aren't happy unless we are sat within the playoffs.  Just let that sink in a second.  He's taken us to a position where we feel we have the god given right to be there.  He has taken us to a place where we are shouting vitriol at someone who has set our exceptions so high, that we must compete with teams who have 10x the spending power. 

Is he the man to take us to that next level, who knows, but one thing I am god damn sure of is, he deserves our RESPECT.   

The guy deserve this window.  He deserves to get until the end of the season and then we can reevaluate.  SL himself has said he wants progression, so lets give the LJ one last push of support, because he f**cking deserves it. 

I think your right about respected but when the going gets tough we crumble, the manager was limited as a player and I really think he's reached his tipping point and I think lansdown needs to say thank you and goodbye 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

SL himself has said he wants progression, so lets give the LJ one last push of support, because he f**cking deserves it. 

For 65 signings or more, an 8 figure accumulated turnover, massive losses, so many useless 'ones for the future' and 'ones from my past' that even the accountants have lost count; for drab, unattractive and downright clueless football; for lame excuse after lame excuse, he deserves nothing more than a long overdue delivery of his P45.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

As most of you will know, I'm a fan of Lee Johnson, but, today I've got to say my confidence was a little bit rocked.  Yes, I've got strong opinions, but I'm also not arrogant enough to have my opinion swayed, changed or debated.  

Lets take a step back for a second, which I know will be hard, especially if you have just witnessed that complete shower.  Now, what Lee Johnson has done for this club over the years is far bigger than these last 6 games.  It really is.  He's turned this football club into a well run, respected and rated football club within English football (and outside). 
Little old "Brizzle" was nowhere to be seen on the footballing spectrum.  Ironically, the only reason we are having these sorts of discussions is a testament to how far he has taken us!  A few seasons ago, we were counting down the points until we reached the magical 50 mark. 

This leads me on to my point.  Without Lee and the rest of his staff, we as a football club wouldn't be in this position.  We wouldn't, I think we can all agree on that.  I'm not just talking about the team, I'm talking about technology, scouting methods, ethos.  There is so much more to being a manager than simply picking a starting 11. 

What I'm trying to say is, I'm shocked at the simple lack of respect that is being shown by some of our supporters towards someone who has taken this club and pushed it forward to a new level. A level, where we aren't happy unless we are sat within the playoffs.  Just let that sink in a second.  He's taken us to a position where we feel we have the god given right to be there.  He has taken us to a place where we are shouting vitriol at someone who has set our exceptions so high, that we must compete with teams who have 10x the spending power. 

Is he the man to take us to that next level, who knows, but one thing I am god damn sure of is, he deserves our RESPECT.   

The guy deserve this window.  He deserves to get until the end of the season and then we can reevaluate.  SL himself has said he wants progression, so lets give the LJ one last push of support, because he f**cking deserves it. 

How do you know what state the club would be in if Johnson had never been appointed ?

• Like 2

Johnson has established us as a Champ team i will grant you that......however i am also confident any single other manager given the same resources would of done exactly the same, most likely even more. Some are blinded by him purely down to the fact it’s LJ and the media have told us he is one of the best young coaches around, i really don’t see it unfortunately.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

Sadly got it VERY wrong today 

We were being outplayed before the sending off 

If you are going to make the defensive change you do it after the sending off

We should have brought Mooore on for Hunt and played three at the back

Our boys looked like rabbits in headlights today 

Sadly I think LJs time is coming to an end

Either back him in January and really go for it or dip him out now and give someone else time to shape our squad

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, City_USA said:

Honest question. Do you think all the players respect him?

If you drink around Bristol it's fairly common knowledge what they are saying about him

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

Trouble is if we give him to the end of the season , in between theres a transfer window , where he will cry that prices are overinflated, or waste more money! 

then there’s the season   ticket renewal period , most people renew then the club will spin that as support for Johnson.  

with Johnson in charge we will never go up , we haven’t even had a play off season in his tenure 

Johnson out

• Like 1

I agree with the original post..

Realistically would any other manager get more out of this current squad...?

Lee Johnson has had to sell some really important players like Webster, Bryan , Reid, Kelly an injury to Afobe was a massive loss.

I'd personally allow him another transfer window and until the end of the season before a reflection on the season.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I don’t understand why anyone would think he DESERVES to be given this transfer window or until the end of the season.

He has been given opportunities previously and failed every time.

• Like 4

Why can’t you change your opinion or let it be swayed? You are constantly getting new information about LJ. It is great you believe in him but why would you blindly do it? Just to say I stuck by him in case he magically gets it right?

I have been LJ in most his tenure and that fluctuates because I have 4 seasons of information to base it on and compare to. At this point, with all the good he has done, this is the worst he has performed. He has gotten more out of less before. He now has every club you could ask for in a bag(poor caddy!). He has had money(don’t give me net spend go look at Brentford’s and who they lost last summer). He has been given a top 10 budget(again higher than a club like Brentford). Of course this should sway an opinion because he is doing less with more. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, 50cal said:

I agree with the original post..

Realistically would any other manager get more out of this current squad...?

Lee Johnson has had to sell some really important players like Webster, Bryan , Reid, Kelly an injury to Afobe was a massive loss.

I'd personally allow him another transfer window and until the end of the season before a reflection on the season.

Welcome to the website Mrs Johnson 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Why can’t you change your opinion or let it be swayed? You are constantly getting new information about LJ. It is great you believe in him but why would you blindly do it? Just to say I stuck by him in case he magically gets it right?

I have been LJ in most his tenure and that fluctuates because I have 4 seasons of information to base it on and compare to. At this point, with all the good he has done, this is the worst he has performed. He has gotten more out of less before. He now has every club you could ask for in a bag(poor caddy!). He has had money(don’t give me net spend go look at Brentford’s and who they lost last summer). He has been given a top 10 budget(again higher than a club like Brentford). Of course this should sway an opinion because he is doing less with more. 

I can. Thats what I've written - "I'm also not arrogant enough to have my opinion swayed, changed or debated"

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Whos to say another group of people may have not already taken us to the next level. Another window? Why does he deserve that? How many more players does he need? 

He'll get my respect when he steps down. Can't see Lansdown doing anything about it unfortunately.

• Like 3