IGNORED

He's lost it

Robin Wood

2 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

He thought that without the **** ups in the first 15 mins we matched them had more penalty box entries and without that mad first 15 we would have won the game.

Agree to some extent, but let's be fair, Brentford didn't hit top gear at all, and if they really pushed on, I think we could have been looking at 6 or 7.

The ref changed the game, and had a feeling that would be the case from the first minute or so.

Watkins was booked at the same time as Williams, why we never tried to wind him up I don't know.

5 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

He thought that without the **** ups in the first 15 mins we matched them had more penalty box entries and without that mad first 15 we would have won the game.

Brentford where at no more that 70% effort for most that game, they took it easy and still beat us early, after the game settled down they gave us a lesson in how to control a game

The decision not to bring on Taylor Moore immediately after Williams’ red card was completely bizarre. I read in today’s program I think, Johnson saying we have to concentrate and be world class at the basics. This is where he needs to heed his own advice. His explanation of why he left smith in defence just shows how he over thinks and over complicates things. Saying it wasn’t a risk area of the pitch as Brentford were not working their over loads in that area etc. Might well be factually correct but fact is he is not a central defender, and by moving him there you’re then missing any ball winning midfielder against a team with more men. The second goal was coming and I don’t think there’s a manager out there that wouldn’t have got an extra defender on the pitch immediately. It’s basics, which he continually gets wrong because he over thinks everything.

I think the decision to sacrifice Elliason would have been correct at 1-0 as we just had to sit in and be compact for 75 minutes before giving it a go in the last 5/10 but at 2-0 it was game over.

30 minutes ago, Taz said:

Agree to some extent, but let's be fair, Brentford didn't hit top gear at all, and if they really pushed on, I think we could have been looking at 6 or 7.

The ref changed the game, and had a feeling that would be the case from the first minute or so.

Watkins was booked at the same time as Williams, why we never tried to wind him up I don't know.

Watkins obviously wound up Williams though. And he fell for it which should not be happening to a man of his experience 

34 minutes ago, Taz said:

you're blaming the ref ? Seriously ?

15 minutes ago, city1983 said:

The decision not to bring on Taylor Moore immediately after Williams’ red card was completely bizarre. I read in today’s program I think, Johnson saying we have to concentrate and be world class at the basics. This is where he needs to heed his own advice. His explanation of why he left smith in defence just shows how he over thinks and over complicates things. Saying it wasn’t a risk area of the pitch as Brentford were not working their over loads in that area etc. Might well be factually correct but fact is he is not a central defender, and by moving him there you’re then missing any ball winning midfielder against a team with more men. The second goal was coming and I don’t think there’s a manager out there that wouldn’t have got an extra defender on the pitch immediately. It’s basics, which he continually gets wrong because he over thinks everything.

I think the decision to sacrifice Elliason would have been correct at 1-0 as we just had to sit in and be compact for 75 minutes before giving it a go in the last 5/10 but at 2-0 it was game over.

Agree completely. I thought Eliasson was the right player to sacrifice. Taking anyone else off would have left us hopelessly outnumbered by a very good Brentford midfield. Plus, they could have doubled up on Eliasson without leaving gaps anywhere else. 

But inexplicable why he didn't do it the moment Williams was red carded. 

I thought the two later subs were poor too. Nagy for Brownhill, who was having a very poor game, not Watkins who was far more a threat and a presence. And to be honest, although it mattered little by then, I'd have brought on Semenyo not Rodri; it was direct running and power that was Brentford's only weakness defensively and Rodri wasn't ever really going to worry them.

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I got a lucky break and was unable to attend today.........Phew!   Did anyone play well?  And was Williams red card correct?    An  opinion would be much appreciated.

Diedhiou. Yes. 

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I got a lucky break and was unable to attend today.........Phew!   Did anyone play well?  And was Williams red card correct?    An  opinion would be much appreciated.

Was a pretty grim performance, only question with the red card was whether it would be for two yellows or a straight red. Totally outplayed start to finish, they got through out defence far too easily, and Fam was good, but only 40/50 yards from goal. Not bringing Moore on as soon as Williams went was just stupid. 
The one thing you missed was a quality performance by Brentford.

We would still have lost if it had stayed 11 v 11.

They were streets ahead of us and the wrong team was selected again.

Sadly, nothing will change and LJ is out of his depth at the sharp end of this league - the delay in making the substitution after Ashley went off proves that - he and the other 2 wise men did not know what to do. By the time they made a change, which was the wrong one, we were 2 down and the game was gone.

I don’t care what he tells the media there were no positives today.

I try to remain quiet where LJ is concerned but that interview is a load of bollocks!

WTF is he on about? Brentford were clearly better than us, on current form admittedly, even when we had 11 players.

Does LJ actually believe the rubbish he's said in that interview? ?

19 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

you're blaming the ref ? Seriously ?

No I'm blaming Williams for the sending off, and Johnson for taking an eternity to bring on Moore.

Ref was clearly not going to let things go from very early on. Williams, as well as Johnson, should have picked up on that. 

45 minutes ago, city1983 said:

It was bizarre, and probably been discussed many times on here but yours is the first post i have read. I'm not defending it but I'm sure LJ felt we could grab a goal back then shut up shop, so he left on Ellisson and sacrificed adding a defender hoping to be positive and attack. Once level i think he would have added a defender. As I said I certainly am not thinking that is what should have happened, just what LJ was thinking. Personally I would have taken off Weimann and left Elisson on and added Moore immediately after the sending off

13 minutes ago, RedM said:

It was bizarre, and probably been discussed many times on here but yours is the first post i have read. I'm not defending it but I'm sure LJ felt we could grab a goal back then shut up shop, so he left on Ellisson and sacrificed adding a defender hoping to be positive and attack. Once level i think he would have added a defender. As I said I certainly am not thinking that is what should have happened, just what LJ was thinking. Personally I would have taken off Weimann and left Elisson on and added Moore immediately after the sending off

First rule of management is damage limitation, and the non substitution made no sense. Unless we could contain Brentford a bit, there was little chance that Nic would deliver, and even if the plan of scoring had worked, there was still a very long time to hold out. I could see no other option than sacrificing Nic, as we needed graft and defence, and at 1-0, always a chance of an equaliser.

Before the game I did wonder if we might have been better going with 3CB’s, as Kalas and Williams are not the quickest. Frustrate, then if all looking good, bring on Nic during the second half. 

45 minutes ago, maxjak said:

YOU DID!

Play Well Yes Diehdou and Watkins

Williams definite Red Card as we conspired to lose the ball in front of him and the player was clean through No Doubt!

We cant tackle pass or shoot. Is the summary.

17 minutes ago, Chappers said:

First rule of management is damage limitation, and the non substitution made no sense. Unless we could contain Brentford a bit, there was little chance that Nic would deliver, and even if the plan of scoring had worked, there was still a very long time to hold out. I could see no other option than sacrificing Nic, as we needed graft and defence, and at 1-0, always a chance of an equaliser.

Before the game I did wonder if we might have been better going with 3CB’s, as Kalas and Williams are not the quickest. Frustrate, then if all looking good, bring on Nic during the second half. 

Like I said what we did wasn’t my choice. I only said Weimann over Ellisson as although he works hard he often has no end product. At least with Ellisson we might have had a chance of getting a few crosses in, and we have been successful with this thinking lately. I acknowledge though defending isn’t his thing at all, even less than Weimann’s, but as it was we had much less positivity being aimed through to Diedhiou and didn’t look like scoring even if we had an extra man never mind one less

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

Like I said what we did wasn’t my choice. I only said Weimann over Ellisson as although he works hard he often has no end product. At least with Ellisson we might have had a chance of getting a few crosses in, and we have been successful with this thinking lately. I acknowledge though defending isn’t his thing at all, even less than Weimann’s, but as it was we had much less positivity being aimed through to Diedhiou and didn’t look like scoring even if we had an extra man never mind one less

TBH, don’t think it made much difference who went off in the grand scheme of things!

1 hour ago, city1983 said:

Played korey smith centre back he openly admitted on Radio Bristol for 15 mins till he made the obvious substitution?? Korey smith the smallest bloke on the field 

1 hour ago, city1983 said:

The decision not to bring on Taylor Moore immediately after Williams’ red card was completely bizarre.

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time this has happened, it's actually a routine occurance.  It's as though he's a set timeline for when HE ALONE dictates change and to hell with what's happening on the pitch. It's been a regular feature over his tenure that when things haven't been going our way, when we've been under the thumb, he's failed to act, preferring instead to await the inevitable and only then concede that he'd better change things. Too little, too late.

He's also now rivalling SOD in the utterly deluded post match analysis stakes.

No longer can he be taken seriously.

Archived