Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Robin Wood

He's lost it

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

What did he say?

He felt there were "a lot of positives to take from the game"

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

What did he say?

He said nothing really he  just seemed to stutter and mumble saying he thought we are as good as Brentford but the rest was hard to make out

He thought that without the **** ups in the first 15 mins we matched them had more penalty box entries and without that mad first 15 we would have won the game.

2 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

He thought that without the **** ups in the first 15 mins we matched them had more penalty box entries and without that mad first 15 we would have won the game.

Agree to some extent, but let's be fair, Brentford didn't hit top gear at all, and if they really pushed on, I think we could have been looking at 6 or 7.

The ref changed the game, and had a feeling that would be the case from the first minute or so.

Watkins was booked at the same time as Williams, why we never tried to wind him up I don't know.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Brentford where at no more that 70% effort for most that game, they took it easy and still beat us early, after the game settled down they gave us a lesson in how to control a game

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, winsaw said:

Brentford where at no more that 70% effort for most that game, they took it easy and still beat us early, after the game settled down they gave us a lesson in how to control a game

Oh with you all the way.

The decision not to bring on Taylor Moore immediately after Williams’ red card was completely bizarre. I read in today’s program I think, Johnson saying we have to concentrate and be world class at the basics. This is where he needs to heed his own advice. His explanation of why he left smith in defence just shows how he over thinks and over complicates things. Saying it wasn’t a risk area of the pitch as Brentford were not working their over loads in that area etc. Might well be factually correct but fact is he is not a central defender, and by moving him there you’re then missing any ball winning midfielder against a team with more men. The second goal was coming and I don’t think there’s a manager out there that wouldn’t have got an extra defender on the pitch immediately. It’s basics, which he continually gets wrong because he over thinks everything.

I think the decision to sacrifice Elliason would have been correct at 1-0 as we just had to sit in and be compact for 75 minutes before giving it a go in the last 5/10 but at 2-0 it was game over.

Edited by city1983
Spelling
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Taz said:

Agree to some extent, but let's be fair, Brentford didn't hit top gear at all, and if they really pushed on, I think we could have been looking at 6 or 7.

The ref changed the game, and had a feeling that would be the case from the first minute or so.

Watkins was booked at the same time as Williams, why we never tried to wind him up I don't know.

Watkins obviously wound up Williams though. And he fell for it which should not be happening to a man of his experience 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Taz said:

you're blaming the ref ? Seriously ?

• Haha 3

I got a lucky break and was unable to attend today.........Phew!   Did anyone play well?  And was Williams red card correct?    An  opinion would be much appreciated.

15 minutes ago, city1983 said:

The decision not to bring on Taylor Moore immediately after Williams’ red card was completely bizarre. I read in today’s program I think, Johnson saying we have to concentrate and be world class at the basics. This is where he needs to heed his own advice. His explanation of why he left smith in defence just shows how he over thinks and over complicates things. Saying it wasn’t a risk area of the pitch as Brentford were not working their over loads in that area etc. Might well be factually correct but fact is he is not a central defender, and by moving him there you’re then missing any ball winning midfielder against a team with more men. The second goal was coming and I don’t think there’s a manager out there that wouldn’t have got an extra defender on the pitch immediately. It’s basics, which he continually gets wrong because he over thinks everything.

I think the decision to sacrifice Elliason would have been correct at 1-0 as we just had to sit in and be compact for 75 minutes before giving it a go in the last 5/10 but at 2-0 it was game over.

Agree completely. I thought Eliasson was the right player to sacrifice. Taking anyone else off would have left us hopelessly outnumbered by a very good Brentford midfield. Plus, they could have doubled up on Eliasson without leaving gaps anywhere else. 

But inexplicable why he didn't do it the moment Williams was red carded. 

I thought the two later subs were poor too. Nagy for Brownhill, who was having a very poor game, not Watkins who was far more a threat and a presence. And to be honest, although it mattered little by then, I'd have brought on Semenyo not Rodri; it was direct running and power that was Brentford's only weakness defensively and Rodri wasn't ever really going to worry them.

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I got a lucky break and was unable to attend today.........Phew!   Did anyone play well?  And was Williams red card correct?    An  opinion would be much appreciated.

Diedhiou. Yes. 

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Was a pretty grim performance, only question with the red card was whether it would be for two yellows or a straight red. Totally outplayed start to finish, they got through out defence far too easily, and Fam was good, but only 40/50 yards from goal. Not bringing Moore on as soon as Williams went was just stupid. 
The one thing you missed was a quality performance by Brentford.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bearded_red said:

He’s never had it.

You beat me to it 

• Haha 1

We would still have lost if it had stayed 11 v 11.

They were streets ahead of us and the wrong team was selected again.

Sadly, nothing will change and LJ is out of his depth at the sharp end of this league - the delay in making the substitution after Ashley went off proves that - he and the other 2 wise men did not know what to do. By the time they made a change, which was the wrong one, we were 2 down and the game was gone.

I don’t care what he tells the media there were no positives today.

Edited by ScottishRed
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

We would still have lost if it had stayed 11 v 11.

They were streets ahead of us and the wrong team was selected again.

So what team would you have selected SR?

I try to remain quiet where LJ is concerned but that interview is a load of bollocks!

WTF is he on about? Brentford were clearly better than us, on current form admittedly, even when we had 11 players.

Does LJ actually believe the rubbish he's said in that interview? 🤔

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

you're blaming the ref ? Seriously ?

No I'm blaming Williams for the sending off, and Johnson for taking an eternity to bring on Moore.

Ref was clearly not going to let things go from very early on. Williams, as well as Johnson, should have picked up on that. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, city1983 said:

It was bizarre, and probably been discussed many times on here but yours is the first post i have read. I'm not defending it but I'm sure LJ felt we could grab a goal back then shut up shop, so he left on Ellisson and sacrificed adding a defender hoping to be positive and attack. Once level i think he would have added a defender. As I said I certainly am not thinking that is what should have happened, just what LJ was thinking. Personally I would have taken off Weimann and left Elisson on and added Moore immediately after the sending off

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, RedM said:

It was bizarre, and probably been discussed many times on here but yours is the first post i have read. I'm not defending it but I'm sure LJ felt we could grab a goal back then shut up shop, so he left on Ellisson and sacrificed adding a defender hoping to be positive and attack. Once level i think he would have added a defender. As I said I certainly am not thinking that is what should have happened, just what LJ was thinking. Personally I would have taken off Weimann and left Elisson on and added Moore immediately after the sending off

First rule of management is damage limitation, and the non substitution made no sense. Unless we could contain Brentford a bit, there was little chance that Nic would deliver, and even if the plan of scoring had worked, there was still a very long time to hold out. I could see no other option than sacrificing Nic, as we needed graft and defence, and at 1-0, always a chance of an equaliser.

Before the game I did wonder if we might have been better going with 3CB’s, as Kalas and Williams are not the quickest. Frustrate, then if all looking good, bring on Nic during the second half. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, maxjak said:

YOU DID!

Play Well Yes Diehdou and Watkins

Williams definite Red Card as we conspired to lose the ball in front of him and the player was clean through No Doubt!

We cant tackle pass or shoot. Is the summary.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chappers said:

First rule of management is damage limitation, and the non substitution made no sense. Unless we could contain Brentford a bit, there was little chance that Nic would deliver, and even if the plan of scoring had worked, there was still a very long time to hold out. I could see no other option than sacrificing Nic, as we needed graft and defence, and at 1-0, always a chance of an equaliser.

Before the game I did wonder if we might have been better going with 3CB’s, as Kalas and Williams are not the quickest. Frustrate, then if all looking good, bring on Nic during the second half. 

Like I said what we did wasn’t my choice. I only said Weimann over Ellisson as although he works hard he often has no end product. At least with Ellisson we might have had a chance of getting a few crosses in, and we have been successful with this thinking lately. I acknowledge though defending isn’t his thing at all, even less than Weimann’s, but as it was we had much less positivity being aimed through to Diedhiou and didn’t look like scoring even if we had an extra man never mind one less

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

Like I said what we did wasn’t my choice. I only said Weimann over Ellisson as although he works hard he often has no end product. At least with Ellisson we might have had a chance of getting a few crosses in, and we have been successful with this thinking lately. I acknowledge though defending isn’t his thing at all, even less than Weimann’s, but as it was we had much less positivity being aimed through to Diedhiou and didn’t look like scoring even if we had an extra man never mind one less

TBH, don’t think it made much difference who went off in the grand scheme of things!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, city1983 said:

Played korey smith centre back he openly admitted on Radio Bristol for 15 mins till he made the obvious substitution😆😆 Korey smith the smallest bloke on the field 

1 hour ago, city1983 said:

The decision not to bring on Taylor Moore immediately after Williams’ red card was completely bizarre.

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time this has happened, it's actually a routine occurance.  It's as though he's a set timeline for when HE ALONE dictates change and to hell with what's happening on the pitch. It's been a regular feature over his tenure that when things haven't been going our way, when we've been under the thumb, he's failed to act, preferring instead to await the inevitable and only then concede that he'd better change things. Too little, too late.

He's also now rivalling SOD in the utterly deluded post match analysis stakes.

No longer can he be taken seriously.

Edited by BTRFTG
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Where is he? Shallow end of the swimming pool haha because he is small :laugh:

If Lee was in a municipal pool the shallow end would be 0.9m to 1m deep, falling away at a 5-6% gradient to a maximum depth of 2m. So Lee would be out of his depth 2/3rds to 3/4s towards the deep end.

2 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Yes, we won that remaining 75 minutes 0:2, and without any rainbow flicks either

Edited by Moments of Pleasure
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Taz said:

My thoughts entirely ! The only chance we had was them being reduced to 10 men as well ! 

With hindsight if Williams and Watkins had seen red instead of yellow for their wrestling match then it might have been a better afternoon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

If Lee was in a municipal pool the shallow end would be 0.9m to 1m deep, falling away at a 5-6% gradient to a maximum depth of 2m. So Lee would be out of his depth 2/3rds to 3/4s towards the deep end.

You think he'd have managed to negotiate the footbath?

21 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Strangest point he said was “we did have more box entries than them” 

Someone should have told him they had more goal entries 🤣 strange bloke he has said this numerous times. Another one was forest at home when we had no shots on target but he was happy we had more box entries second half. 

9 hours ago, phantom said:

Tick tock

Sadly not, I would bet on him being the HC next August, unless we get into a relegation fight - not impossible.

If it were my decision he would be gone this morning, utterly clueless and completely out of his depth.

• Like 1

The worst , most depressing thing about yesterday was that it just confirmed what I'd expected to see when I set out for AG.

Brentford play fluid attacking football. They have talented individuals who have been organised into a team that is very entertaining to watch. At the same time as selling several players into prem teams.

We are trying to emulate them but in reality are light years behind. We have recruited a lightweight midfield of grafters and have no game plan that can accommodate the two talented players we do have (NE and KP).

LJ doesn't have the ability to deliver on the vision which frankly is a team like Brentford. I'm not convinced that the recruitment team has the ability to spot the right talent or mix of players either.

We are undoubtedly nothing more than a mid-table side. To get beyond that we need a massive step up and a leader who can give the players some clarity and consistency in the game plan.

I don't think we will be able to achieve that with the current team of coaches.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Strangest point he said was “we did have more box entries than them” 

He had a sort of point. For the middle third of the game, we were actually playing much better as a 10 than we had as an 11. The cohesion was better.

But - as ever - with Fam as a solo striker, and Weimann out wide - we offered little goal threat.

What killed the game for us was the decision to take off Watkins and Weimann and play without any width. We just conceded the wings and allowed them to come forward at will. If the game had gone on for another 30 minutes, it could've been 0-8.

The decision to throw on Rodri - who is about to depart us and has shown nothing while he has been here - was almost as bizarre as the decision to play Smith as a centre half.

Johnson was right in that you could take a few positives in that Diedhou and Marley Watkins played quite well.

But to focus on the small crumbs of comfort in the interview rather than the fact we lost a game in the first 13 minutes and were clearly second best, came across as far too complacent.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

He had a sort of point. For the middle third of the game, we were actually playing much better as a 10 than we had as an 11. The cohesion was better.

But - as ever - with Fam as a solo striker, and Weimann out wide - we offered little goal threat.

What killed the game for us was the decision to take off Watkins and Weimann and play without any width. We just conceded the wings and allowed them to come forward at will. If the game had gone on for another 30 minutes, it could've been 0-8.

The decision to throw on Rodri - who is about to depart us and has shown nothing while he has been here - was almost as bizarre as the decision to play Smith as a centre half.

Johnson was right in that you could take a few positives in that Diedhou and Marley Watkins played quite well.

But to focus on the small crumbs of comfort in the interview rather than the fact we lost a game in the first 13 minutes and were clearly second best, came across as far too complacent.

When he took of Watkins, I said to my wife that it would not surprise me if he took of Diedhiou next and replace him with a player that has no future left with us. Maybe he wanted a last look at Rodri or not, I don’t know. But to replace him with Weinman made less sense to me, at least with Weinman on the pitch we had a runner who could at least give the defence some breathing space. 
The “box entries” comment just annoyed me. All he had to say was for 70 minutes we held off a good attacking team. Which would of meant similar and not left him open to ridicule. I just want him to speak in normal terms, there is no need for daft phrases. 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

The worst , most depressing thing about yesterday was that it just confirmed what I'd expected to see when I set out for AG.

Brentford play fluid attacking football. They have talented individuals who have been organised into a team that is very entertaining to watch. At the same time as selling several players into prem teams.

We are trying to emulate them but in reality are light years behind. We have recruited a lightweight midfield of grafters and have no game plan that can accommodate the two talented players we do have (NE and KP).

LJ doesn't have the ability to deliver on the vision which frankly is a team like Brentford. I'm not convinced that the recruitment team has the ability to spot the right talent or mix of players either.

We are undoubtedly nothing more than a mid-table side. To get beyond that we need a massive step up and a leader who can give the players some clarity and consistency in the game plan.

I think a bigger problem is LJ being unable to create a good side out of a range of players- such as Brentford.

Nagy-Massengo-Brownhill as a 3.

Weimann and Eliasson as 2 of the front 3.

For a start.

Higher line- Kalas and Moore as a pair I'd like to see get a run now for a few games, see what can be created.

Common thread- LJ doesn't (IMO) know how to gt the best out of quite a few players he has- or has had.

• Like 1

Out of interest does anyone know who/how Brentford do their scouting and recruitment? They seem to have been doing it rather well for quite a while with continuity through at least one change of manager.

1 hour ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

When he took of Watkins, I said to my wife that it would not surprise me if he took of Diedhiou next and replace him with a player that has no future left with us. Maybe he wanted a last look at Rodri or not, I don’t know. But to replace him with Weinman made less sense to me, at least with Weinman on the pitch we had a runner who could at least give the defence some breathing space. 
The “box entries” comment just annoyed me. All he had to say was for 70 minutes we held off a good attacking team. Which would of meant similar and not left him open to ridicule. I just want him to speak in normal terms, there is no need for daft phrases. 

His use of industry buzz words is beginning to grate tbh and doesn't do himself any favours. Ashton used to get the same criticism but he's actually toned it down these days. I wish LJ would just say it as it is in plain language.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think a bigger problem is LJ being unable to create a good side out of a range of players- such as Brentford.

Nagy-Massengo-Brownhill as a 3.

Weimann and Eliasson as 2 of the front 3.

For a start.

Higher line- Kalas and Moore as a pair I'd like to see get a run now for a few games, see what can be created.

Common thread- LJ doesn't (IMO) know how to gt the best out of quite a few players he has- or has had.

I've been banging on about this for some time.

He needs to get his best players on the pitch and settle on a pattern of play and let the opposition worry about us - not vice versa.

We have Massengo, Nagy, and Palmer (number 10) all struggling for regular game time - three very talented players. Fit them in the team for Christs sake and do not "over coach" them, all three are intelligent footballers and should be trusted on the pitch.

If we get Nketiah, he's going to need those players. Pointless otherwise (literally probably).

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Out of interest does anyone know who/how Brentford do their scouting and recruitment? They seem to have been doing it rather well for quite a while with continuity through at least one change of manager.

I wouldn’t know what their scouting system is like. But they are a small London team renowned for passing football. A lot of foreign players only know of London and possibly see it as a stepping stone to better things. 
Even though they beat us convincingly they were good to watch with some of their passing. Their first goal was well placed pass from their goalie right where Ollie Watkins wanted it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I think the owner is involved in betting and uses the people who compile odds to build up a comprehensive stats database of players.  It seems to work for them.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think the owner is involved in betting and uses the people who compile odds to build up a comprehensive stats database of players.  It seems to work for them.

Yes it is a sort of "footballised" moneyball system using a lot of statistical analysis.

Seems to work, but you still need a good coach to gel it all together.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I think we have a scatter gun approach to player recruitment with the only criteria being that they need to be young and have the ability to increase in value in the future.  We do not identify players based on a need within the team or fit into a particular style of football.

From the outside it looks as though because we failed to get promoted playing one way then at the end of the season Johnson rips up that plan and tries something different. As a result we have a large squad of players that look like they've been assembled by 3 or 4 different managers. You wouldn't say that it is a team that has been developed over 4 years by one manager with a clear idea and vision of how he's going to kick us on.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in this regard and suggest that he doesn't have much say in the players we bring in. Maybe he says we need a striker and the recruitment team give him the option of 2 or 3 that they have been tracking and fit into our business model. And it cant be easy having to sell your best players every season, though that is no different to anyone at this level and brentford are certainly the benchmark of what can be achieved with less resources that ourselves.  

There is a manager in there somewhere, we have witnessed more points and a higher league position each year under his tenure, we have seen some great football at times under him, and he certainly has thick skin with all the criticism and vitriol that is aimed his way. But the quality of the football is currently awful and getting worse all the time, he doesn't help him self, and he really needs to take a step back, tone down the technical jargon and concentrate on the basics before trying to outwit the opposition manager, which sadly he seems to be going the opposite way and his decisions seem more baffling all the time. 

• Like 3