Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Robin Wood

He's lost it

23 minutes ago, city1983 said:

I think we have a scatter gun approach to player recruitment with the only criteria being that they need to be young and have the ability to increase in value in the future.  We do not identify players based on a need within the team or fit into a particular style of football.

From the outside it looks as though because we failed to get promoted playing one way then at the end of the season Johnson rips up that plan and tries something different. As a result we have a large squad of players that look like they've been assembled by 3 or 4 different managers. You wouldn't say that it is a team that has been developed over 4 years by one manager with a clear idea and vision of how he's going to kick us on.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in this regard and suggest that he doesn't have much say in the players we bring in. Maybe he says we need a striker and the recruitment team give him the option of 2 or 3 that they have been tracking and fit into our business model. And it cant be easy having to sell your best players every season, though that is no different to anyone at this level and brentford are certainly the benchmark of what can be achieved with less resources that ourselves.  

There is a manager in there somewhere, we have witnessed more points and a higher league position each year under his tenure, we have seen some great football at times under him, and he certainly has thick skin with all the criticism and vitriol that is aimed his way. But the quality of the football is currently awful and getting worse all the time, he doesn't help him self, and he really needs to take a step back, tone down the technical jargon and concentrate on the basics before trying to outwit the opposition manager, which sadly he seems to be going the opposite way and his decisions seem more baffling all the time. 

Good post. It’s the standard and style of football that most disappoints.  

As for the final bit, I doubt he could cut the jargon even if he wanted to... it’s out of control.

What he could do is stop insulting the “customers” with “lots of positives” etc - makes him sound arrogant or deluded (he may well be both). It’s a 4-0 home defeat.... A 4-0 HOME DEFEAT. When has that ever been acceptable? Just be brave enough to apologise, accept some responsibility and move on. He’d earn far more respect, if he did that. 

Edited by Mendip City
  • Like 1

Just now, Mendip City said:

We go again.... again

You just know the next step is “no ones hurting more than me!”  

15 hours ago, Hare Island said:

If Lee was in a municipal pool the shallow end would be 0.9m to 1m deep, falling away at a 5-6% gradient to a maximum depth of 2m. So Lee would be out of his depth 2/3rds to 3/4s towards the deep end.

I admire your pedantry 

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

You just know the next step is “no ones hurting more than me!”  

That’s one for the next defeat. Gary’s probably just used that line having lost 7 of 8 at Torquay!

8 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Good post. It’s the standard and style of football that most disappoints.  

As for the final bit, I doubt he could cut the jargon even if he wanted to... it’s out of control.

What he could do is stop insulting the “customers” with “lots of positives” etc - makes him sound arrogant or deluded (he may well be both). It’s a 4-0 home defeat.... A 4-0 HOME DEFEAT. When has that ever been acceptable? Just be brave enough to apologise, accept some responsibility and move on. He’s earn far more respect, if he did that. 

"Pride goeth before the fall" unfortunately, I feel.

16 hours ago, Chappers said:

First rule of management is damage limitation, and the non substitution made no sense. Unless we could contain Brentford a bit, there was little chance that Nic would deliver, and even if the plan of scoring had worked, there was still a very long time to hold out. I could see no other option than sacrificing Nic, as we needed graft and defence, and at 1-0, always a chance of an equaliser.

Before the game I did wonder if we might have been better going with 3CB’s, as Kalas and Williams are not the quickest. Frustrate, then if all looking good, bring on Nic during the second half. 

That's different to the first rule of Fight Club.   

Which I can't actually discuss ....