IGNORED

Brentford's ID

AppyDAZE

Just now, gazza1982 said:

It looks pretty but what have they actually achieved?

Well as West London's 4th best club...quite a bit! They entertain their fans, who must be very proud after years when they were more or less passing around the bucket.

5 minutes ago, gazza1982 said:

It looks pretty but what have they actually achieved?

Given that the pro Johnson lot like to use league position and net spend as their two major arguments, they’ve achieved a hell of a lot more than us. 

And they’re pleasing on the eye. 

However good Fam, Watkins and Weimann are at what they do, I can't see any would have the ID for Brentford side would they? They are all so great technically.

They are beatable though. It's just LJ seemed to misunderstand what tactics to use against them. We were never going to out pass them.

18 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Given that the pro Johnson lot like to use league position and net spend as their two major arguments, they’ve achieved a hell of a lot more than us. 

Agreed more pleasing on the eye but what have they achieved? Our net spend in the summer was pretty much on par with Brentford. I’m not defending Johnson but I don’t get the extra achievements they have over us. 

24 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

However good Fam, Watkins and Weimann are at what they do, I can't see any would have the ID for Brentford side would they? They are all so great technically.

They are beatable though. It's just LJ seemed to misunderstand what tactics to use against them. We were never going to out pass them.

Exactly this. How did Millwall beat them on Sunday? Played tight and pressurised them into a mistake and giving a goal away. Pretty much what Millwall did to us. Not pretty but effective.

We only the other hand like gift wrapping goals to the opposition in the first few minutes then try to play catch up for the rest of the game.

35 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Agree Fordy, loved their style of football today, lovely to watch, ours was , with no disrespect to the boys who play on the Downs...................like Downs football. Poles apart, if we have the remotest thoughts of the playoffs we have a lot to do in 4 months

3 hours ago, Super said:

Wonder what Bentley was thinking today.

Tbh I think Brentford’s keeper suits them more. I think we may have a better shot stopper but Rayas distribution is incredible. For the first goal he knocked a first time long through ball to Watkins which I’ve never seen done as effective as that.

They are a fine team and have been for a while - someone on here said they would plummet to relegation candidates post Warburton and Smith - but they just stick to their identity and carrying on playing and carry on outperforming bigger clubs and those with bigger budgets - a proper footballing team, good on them ...

4 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

I can't prove it (obviously) but I am pretty confident they would have beaten us by a margin even with 11 v 11.

Me a couple of mates mentioned how even if we had 11, we would of backed off in the same manner and ended up with same result anyway.

They were brutal, clinical, and confident; we're only the second - when we actually get a shot on target, which is very rare.

4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Best side to visit AG this season, 10-man City or not.

I applaud you, Brentford. Football as it should be played.

Entertaining, beautiful even

Brentford are reason to keep believing. To remain hopeful. And to shout down all the "we can't compete!" softies that explain and excuse so much waste and error and cock up by our own club.

I hope they go up.

If they only make the play-offs, again, the same applies.

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

They are a fine team and have been for a while - someone on here said they would plummet to relegation candidates post Warburton and Smith - but they just stick to their identity and carrying on playing and carry on outperforming bigger clubs and those with bigger budgets - a proper footballing team, good on them ...

I'm absolutely sure they were better than us when we came up (as was to be expected) but I'm fairly sure we still haven't caught up to where they were then. Are we really that far behind them? 

You can see with Brentford how balanced they are as a team.

Every player suits their style of play.

Every player has been recruited to fit into that system.

They stick and believe in their system, and play a settled side.

Yes they have weaknesses, they aren't that physical, aggressive or have a massive Airial threat. They can be beaten by playing 'anti football'.

I look at our team, and imo, it's disjointed.

We had an identity that worked for us a couple seasons back. High energy, high press, pass and move, creating chances.

Instead of looking to strengthen the squad with similar players to fit that system, we looked to enhance and tighten up on weaknesses. We strenghtend our defence, and changed the dynamic of our forward line...making it more physical, with less movement and energy.

We now have a back line, Midfield and forward line that don't suit each other.

TBF...it's what the majority of sides have done in this league. They look at strengthening areas, but at the detriment of the footballing philosophy. It's individual strengths rather than team strengths.

We've fallen into the trap of what pretty much every team has done in this league.

Making it disjointed and mundane average.

Archived