IGNORED

Johnsons position under scrutiny.

The hand of RO'D

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Agree that timing is the big issue at the moment.

The only way I can see SL getting rid of Lj just now, is if a replacement has already been sounded out and ready to step in immediately and that he is happy with potential transfer targets we might be pursuing.

My gut feeling is that if LJ's position is under scrutiny as suggested, it is most likely to result in some sort of warning, with season end targets agreed and if not met will see LJ go in the summer. The only exception might be if SL is unhappy with LJ's personal behaviour and poor reactions post match. IIRC Lj's Dad got the chop more for what was going on in the dressing room , rather than results on the pitch.

Getting a replacement could be tricky, as they would need to be happy to work with Ashton and the existing structure.

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

That’s exactly it. No manager we’ve ever appointed before has had a squad like this. This is a really good squad with 10x more money spent on it than anyone else has ever had. A new manager would get to work with it, not the shitty excuses of squads other managers have inherited. 

Ah but dont forget hes had to sell some good players! ?

Hes spent a fortune. Now he wants to trim a bloated squad HE built!

23 minutes ago, DSTAF said:

Joker. You’re an SL stooge. ? 

16 minutes ago, DSTAF said:

Don’t waste your breath mate. This blokes a ? tool. 

9 minutes ago, DSTAF said:

Have you??

7 minutes ago, DSTAF said:

When has he turned it around, Steve?

Mods, I seem to have acquired a stalker. Any chance you could get rid of him/her please? I've blocked them in the meantime.

@Tom F @phantom @Maesknoll Red

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, boatman said:

Getting a replacement could be tricky, as they would need to be happy to work with Ashton and the existing structure.

I wouldn’t be surprised if LJ’s future replacement is already at the club. LJ said himself that Jamie Mac is now getting involved with the recruitment side of things as well.

Just now, boatman said:

This is why I’m sceptical about sacking LJ, I just don’t see an established manager coming in and wanting to work within the parameters that SL will want to set.

5 minutes ago, boatman said:

When you hear about the extent of the recruitment team for players and how much research and months of work that they do on a signing, you would hope that it would not be beyond the people behind the scenes to be just as diligent when it comes to identifying possible Head Coach replacements.

Unless of course they have been instructed that there will be no requirement in the foreseeable future.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That's Mark Ashton, also effectively paid by SL. Actually the same presumably applies to Harman too.

True. Steve has publicly stated that the ideal number of people on a committee should be one, and in this situation there is no doubt who that is. But that doesn't mean he won't listen to advice from people who he trusts. It's easy for people to criticise this set up when results are against us, but those people tend to go quiet when we're winning games, redeveloping the stadium, building a new training ground etc. That's not to say that recent results don't give cause for concern, but I think that Steve - and Lee for that matter  - are still sufficiently in credit (massively in Steve's case) to be allowed time to bring the long term project to fruition.

1 minute ago, Superjack said:

When you hear about the extent of the recruitment team for players and how much research and months of work that they do on a signing, you would hope that it would not be beyond the people behind the scenes to be just as diligent when it comes to identifying possible Head Coach replacements.

Unless of course they have been instructed that their will be no requirement in the foreseeable future.

I thought the whole idea of the current set up was that the rest of the club would be less affected by a managerial change and any progress away from the first team squad would carry on unhindered?  It might stop some interest from those who want total control but it's better than going through mass upheaval again I guess.

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I am sympathetic towards this view and it’s the sort of thing I’ve said myself many times in the past. But how many more times to we need to give him the chance to “turn it around”? Do we never get to a point where we say he’s had enough chances?

Previously I’ve felt he was probably about par but this now feels like substantial underachievement given the squad at his disposal.

I’m running out of patience with the inconsistency of our performances, the lack of ant settled side, formation, tactics or generally any sense that we know how we want to play and how we’re going to do it. I’d welcome a change.

And I am sympathetic towards your view... 

Though I think his reign was above par prior to this season and "substantial" underachievement this season is harsh.

1 minute ago, Abingdon Red said:

I thought the whole idea of the current set up was that the rest of the club would be less affected by a managerial change and any progress away from the first team squad would carry on unhindered?  It might stop some interest from those who want total control but it's better than going through mass upheaval again I guess.

Yes that's what I was lead to believe also. In which case you have to question the blind faith in the present incumbent. Or at least I do.

21 minutes ago, mozo said:

People were making this argument towards the end of last season when we only won 3 of 13 games. It always about how many points we were from 6th, but any sane person could see from our form that we were heading down the table. And we did.

But we still finished higher than we had the previous season.

All teams have good spells and bad spells.

It just seems that ours, both good and bad, are probably longer than those of other teams.

Lets wait and see what happens in the second half of the season.

20 minutes ago, Dave L said:

There are 4 members of the board: Steve and Jon Lansdown, Doug Harman and Mark Ashton.  I'm sure they are all involved in discussions about the future direction of the club, but I would imagine Steve feels that his significant investment gives him the right to make the final call. I certainly wouldn't begrudge him that right.

I bet they argue long into the night, don't they Dave?

20 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

That’s exactly it. No manager we’ve ever appointed before has had a squad like this. This is a really good squad with 10x more money spent on it than anyone else has ever had. A new manager would get to work with it, not the shitty excuses of squads other managers have inherited. 

Now that all depends who they appoint.

The club has had w history of sometimes making some really odd managerial appointments.

4 minutes ago, bredwood said:

Christ! I hope you’re joking.

That would be like a return to the Pulis reign. I bet you probably wouldn’t mind if Tiny came back.

Colin as DoF and Pullis as head coach - the dream team! :shocking:

28 minutes ago, boatman said:

My big concern is that he had been given considerably more lolly than any previous manager and we are not really progressing. In the meantime the squad is getting bigger and bigger which cannot be good for anybody.

Should aso consider the context.

Revenue, division, FFP, competition within the League and what they spend etc. To say nothing of player sales!

14 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Unless of course they have been instructed that there will be no requirement in the foreseeable future.

Johnson’s Is part of the recruitment team? I don’t think they will ask him to be involved in finding his replacement.,,,

3 minutes ago, Dave L said:

True. Steve has publicly stated that the ideal number of people on a committee should be one, and in this situation there is no doubt who that is. But that doesn't mean he won't listen to advice from people who he trusts. It's easy for people to criticise this set up when results are against us, but those people tend to go quiet when we're winning games, redeveloping the stadium, building a new training ground etc. That's not to say that recent results don't give cause for concern, but I think that Steve - and Lee for that matter  - are still sufficiently in credit (massively in Steve's case) to be allowed time to bring the long term project to fruition.

You know him a lot better than I do Dave. On the basis of a handful of meetings with him I'd say that nice chap though he seems to be Steve Lansdown has all the self doubt you'd expect of a self-made billionaire! The problem I have, as a follower of Bristol City who travels a fair bit to watch them, is that I'm not sure what priority in the 'project' is accorded to exciting and successful football. Progress in recent years has been very visible in infrastructure off the pitch, and on the rugby pitch and perhaps basketball stadium...but on the pitch the football club has spent a decade first declining and then getting not much further than back to were it was. And  I'm not sure that that bothers Steve all that much.

1 minute ago, Redtucks said:

But we still finished higher than we had the previous season.

All teams have good spells and bad spells.

It just seems that ours, both good and bad, are probably longer than those of other teams.

Lets wait and see what happens in the second half of the season.

I think the most frustrating part is how we fall away from promising positions.

From 2nd in December 2017 to end 11th.

From 5th in March 2019 to end 8th.

From 3rd in December 2019 to 11th currently.

Archived