IGNORED

Johnsons position under scrutiny.

The hand of RO'D

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

And I am sympathetic towards your view... 

Though I think his reign was above par prior to this season and "substantial" underachievement this season is harsh.

Fair enough, I suppose it depends on the definition of “substantial”, which is rather subjective.

Personally, having finished 8th last season and invested substantially (!) again since, I feel top six is now the minimum. Sitting in 11th, and with a worrying downward trend, therefore feels like underachievement to me. Granted, 6th spot is only 2 points off, but I no longer have any faith that we can finish top six with Johnson at the helm. We looked a million miles off Brentford’s standard today even before the red card.

The other point I would make is that, how bad do we risk it getting before we make a change? Right now, sat in the top half, we’re a reasonably attractive proposition to a quality manager like Hughton (merely an example). There’s not much of a relegation threat so the new man gets time to bed in and effectively a free pass for the rest of this season.

To be honest how many people that watch regularly either live or TV have any idea how we will line up or team selection from one game to the next. Our identity that propelled LJ to nationwide recognition was the high tempo/press which was a joy to watch and saw us playing great football. That's now a faded memory and apart from a few odd games the football is negative at home and quite boring but still decent away from home most of the time. How much longer will the fans put up with let's see if he can turn it around because this now happens on a much more regular basis. He still seems unsure of his best 11 and even more unsure of his tactics and he is being found out by more managers/coaches at the Gate this season..He said he wanted 3 windows to get his team but this one I think is his 8th. Year on year progression maybe but it's also year on year of making the same mistakes.

3 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

The person I quoted asked what SL (Steve Lansdown) had done for the club. 

Embarrassing mate 

Hmm...I'm not sure what's embarrassing? I missed the quote you refer to...I'm simply pointing out that for all the laudable investment off the pitch progress on it has been minimal...an uncomfortable fact that is often overlooked.

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

And I am sympathetic towards your view... 

Though I think his reign was above par prior to this season and "substantial" underachievement this season is harsh.

I think if you took the results and juggle them up in less of a streaky order then the results would look ok. We’d still have a massively bloated expensive squad, but results would be ok. 

But the results aren’t juggled around. We’ve lost 5 out of 6, and we’ve played football that isn’t just uninspiring, it’s out and out shit for 90% of the season - coming away from several games with points we just haven’t deserved. The shit football has been the consistent thing across the whole season. More recently and more alarmingly we look like a group of players who’ve won a competition. 

Then consider our stand out player has been our keeper and has won us a fair few points on his own. 

There aren’t any green shoots here. Nothing to pin your hopes upon and genuinely no hope. Any hope that Johnson can turn it around is based on literally nothing.  It’s so very sad, because Johnson himself showed a couple of years ago that he is capable of producing brilliant football - the type that Sky pundits mistakenly And lazily keep on referencing all the time - when it’s clear they just can’t have been watching us. 

Furthermore LJ keeps taking about identity which quickly I’m coming to learn means “remember that time we beat Man United?” Without actually having any clue about what the identity is and even the most fervent LJ supporter wouldn’t be able to tell you what it is. If anyone can, please let me know.  

So is it harsh that I’m suggesting he’s underachieving this season. In a word, no it’s not. 

We’re still in touching distance of the playoffs, which is down to more than a large portion of early season luck. We need to roll the dice now or we’ll drop off again. 

And if you’re in any doubt of any of the above, some fans are questioning whether Pato can be our saviour. A player we don’t want and Derby don’t want. FFS. 

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Hmm...I'm not sure what's embarrassing? I missed the quote you refer to...I'm simply pointing out that for all the laudable investment off the pitch progress on it has been minimal...an uncomfortable fact that is often overlooked.

Obviously you didn’t go to games in the 90’s.

embarrassing mate

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Obviously you didn’t go to games in the 90’s.

embarrassing mate

sorry...so, am I the embarrassing one here? Not sure how? But hey ho. The fact is that for all Steve Lansdown's investment, laudable as I say, when you look at the league table we're no better placed today than we were a decade ago. 

And of course I went to games in the 90s - and in the darkest days of the 80s. 

18 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Yes that's what I was lead to believe also. In which case you have to question the blind faith in the present incumbent. Or at least I do.

Been saying this for a while now. Total contradiction in terms, we have a structure  and a blueprint that is supposedly overarching and not dependable upon a certain manager or head coach yet many will have us believe it is.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

So you’re saying you’ve been proven wrong then. I don’t think anyone can legitimately argue that LJ has been ‘terrible’ - he really hasn’t. 

As much as I’m a strong LJ outer, I don’t think you can consider his appointment terrible. I don’t think there’s really any fair comparison that can take place because of the unequivocal backing he’s had. But terrible it hasn’t been... although it is currently terrible!

6 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

Just watched arsenal game they looked like world beaters the same players who have been shite all season were fantastic couldnt help think that  new manager coming in would give our club a massive boost i firmley beleive we have a squad of players here that a new man would turn into winners

They were really good weren’t they? Especially first half. Remind me of us in December 2017. What on earth happened?

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Transfer window makes no difference. 
Mark Ashton signs the players, whoever the manager is. If LJ leaves tomorrow and a new manager arrives next day, we’ll be targeting the exact same players this January. 

54 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I'm afraid our board aren't clever enough to get rid early enough to avoid wasting the Jan window. 

I refer you to my earlier post. 

49 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Obviously not given current performance levels. However, performance can improve! LJ has turned things around before and needs to do it again.  

There’s no consistency in anything he does. 352-442 back again wide open attacking football one game (Luton) but stays with the same set up against a fluid side like Brentford that anyone could see would walk through midfield But doesn’t set up accordingly . The only thing constant is the nature of the mistakes he makes. If I played for him I’d be very confused. 

40 minutes ago, DSTAF said:

No. Kid in the riot preaches like he is the oracle. He’s not. He’s been called out on it. 

Spoken like a man who would place the crown of thorns and hammer in the nails.

KITR does not preach, he offers a view. a balanced one I would definitely say.  I’m probably more damning of LJ than he is - because the football and entertainment is so bad - but in all seriousness we are performing okay in terms of points on the board and we are flirting with the play off spots - for now.

Personally, I think we should be doing much better in both respects, and I would give LJ a dressing down, but I wouldn’t be sacking just yet. I think this transfer window is his crossroads though. If he’s backed and we don’t make the playoffs, well then off you go. 

I think that’s how it will go. He’s gonna get a last roll to get in the playoffs from this window. What worries me is how much he is backed and if he doesn’t what on a rolling FFP period we leave to his replacement. 

oh and for those speaking of his replacement, I think it should be clear to all that his replacement is already in the dugout. That’s clearly a done deal. 

47 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think the most frustrating part is how we fall away from promising positions.

From 2nd in December 2017 to end 11th.

From 5th in March 2019 to end 8th.

From 3rd in December 2019 to 11th currently.

Not always!

You've left out:

From 22nd on 7th March 2017 to end 17th

and

From 14th on 15th December 2018 to end 8th

10 minutes ago, 29AR said:

KITR does not preach, he offers a view. a balanced one I would definitely say.  I’m probably more damning of LJ than he is - because the football and entertainment is so bad - but in all seriousness we are performing okay in terms of points on the board and we are flirting with the play off spots - for now.

Personally, I think we should be doing much better in both respects, and I would give LJ a dressing down, but I wouldn’t be sacking just yet. I think this transfer window is his crossroads though. If he’s backed and we don’t make the playoffs, well then off you go. 

I think that’s how it will go. He’s gonna get a last roll to get in the playoffs from this window. What worries me is how much he is backed and if he doesn’t what on a rolling FFP period we leave to his replacement. 

oh and for those speaking of his replacement, I think it should be clear to all that his replacement is already in the dugout. That’s clearly a done deal. 

Yeah, but I ******* hope you don't mean in OUR dugout.

8 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Is it really a “done deal” that his replacement is in the dugout? Wow if true. 

Archived