IGNORED

Johnsons position under scrutiny.

The hand of RO'D

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

We must be near the top for chances converted then.

11th position 34 39 114,7 %
West Bromwich Albion West Bromwich Albion
2th position
72 48 66,7 %
Millwall FC Millwall FC
5th position
60 35 58,3 %
Blackburn Rovers Blackburn Rovers
13th position
63 34 54,0 %
Fulham FC Fulham FC
6th position
75 40 53,3 %
Nottingham Forest Nottingham Forest
4th position
71 34 47,9 %
Stoke City Stoke City
21th position
69 33 47,8 %
Reading FC Reading FC
14th position
70 33 47,1 %
Wigan Athletic Wigan Athletic
22th position
53 24 45,3 %
Preston North End Preston North End
9th position
89 36 40,4 %
Brentford FC Brentford FC
3th position
102 41 40,2 %
Charlton Athletic Charlton Athletic
19th position
85 34 40,0 %
Luton Town Luton Town
24th position
83 32 38,6 %
Queens Park Rangers Queens Park Rangers
15th position
114 44 38,6 %
Huddersfield Town Huddersfield Town
20th position
80 30 37,5 %
Cardiff City Cardiff City
12th position
105 38 36,2 %
Barnsley FC Barnsley FC
23th position
89 32 36,0 %
Derby County Derby County
17th position
70 24 34,3 %
Hull City Hull City
8th position
125 40 32,0 %
Leeds United Leeds United
1th position
146 43 29,5 %
Sheffield Wednesday Sheffield Wednesday
7th position
133 37 27,8 %
Middlesbrough FC Middlesbrough FC
16th position
99 26 26,3 %
Swansea City Swansea City
10th position
121 31 25,6 %
Birmingham City Birmingham City
18th position
148 31 20,9 %
TABLE CHAMPIONSHIP 19/20
# Club Matches +/- Pts
1 Leeds United Leeds 26 22 52
2 West Bromwich Albion West Brom 26 20 52
3 Brentford FC Brentford 27 20 43
4 Nottingham Forest Nottm Forest 25 9 43
5 Millwall FC Millwall 27 3 43
6 Fulham FC Fulham   26 10 42
7 Sheffield Wednesday Sheff Wed 26 11 39
8 Hull City Hull City 26 6 39
9 Preston North End Preston NE 26 4 39
10 Swansea City Swansea 25 1 38
11 Bristol City Bristol City 26 -1 38
12 Cardiff City Cardiff   26 -2 37
13 Blackburn Rovers Blackburn 26 0 36
14 Reading FC Reading 25 5 35
15 Queens Park Rangers QPR 26 -4 35
16 Middlesbrough FC Middlesbrough 26 -6 33
17 Derby County Derby 25 -9 30
18 Birmingham City Birmingham 26 -12 29
19 Charlton Athletic Charlton   25 -2 28
20 Huddersfield Town Huddersfield   26 -12 28
21 Stoke City Stoke City 26 -9 24
22 Wigan Athletic Wigan 26 -15 23
23 Barnsley FC Barnsley FC   25 -15 21
24 Luton Town Luton   26 -24 21

Yes we are top! 

The personal attacks on LJ are unnecessary. 

Cast your minds back 5-6-7 years (cant remember the exact year) Lee Johnson scored against Cardiff on New Years Day, ******* brilliant East End Bouncing we won 3-0 i. I was sick (hung over to ****) 

Johnson loves this club, and every thing  he does is what he believes is for the best. 

But Lee you are done mate, I will applaud you and respect you for everything you have done for this team, you are CAF and for that I love you. 

But time to go. We need a change. 

JOHNSON OUT. 

25 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Cotterill didn't spend alot on the likes of Ayling, Smith, Freeman, Wilbraham,  - wages perhaps, but it was a very small and compact squad.

And herein lies another issue. The LJ/MA combo criminally undersold Ayling & Freeman (whose combined value is probably about 20m) because he was unable to get the best out of them. Seem familiar?

19 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

And herein lies another issue. The LJ/MA combo criminally undersold Ayling & Freeman (whose combined value is probably about 20m) because he was unable to get the best out of them. Seem familiar?

Undersold Ayling? Hindsight a wonderful thing. Adam Matthews was keeping him out the team, his contract running down, clearly wanted a move, piss gate at Cheltenham, £750,000 seemed a good amount at the time. 

Undersold no. Sometimes players move on and it just clicks at another club. Leeds and Ayling seems to be a good fit. 

Regarding Freeman I always rated him, not sure he ever got the credit he deserved on here? Again rumours of wanting a move back to London, contract running down, £300k ridiculous cheap I agree.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Didn't he have to sell Baldock a few games into the promotion season?

Play a young Joe Bryan instead of an international, Cunningham?

Sign young players like Ayling, Freeman, Korey Smith and play them?

Get us promoted playing entertaining football packed with goals?

Nightmare? Dreamland more like.

He was allowed to sign Agard after Baldock left, not a bad compromise. 

'young' Joe Bryan had featured in our side for a good 18 months before cotts, also cunningham wasn't as good a wing back as full back so formation benefitted Joe 

Who told us to sign Korey Smith again..? 

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why do you hope he’s joking? Employing the guy who holds the record for the most promotions ever in our game seems sensible ...

Mostly his teams come straight back down or he gets sacked because they’re looking like it. He doesn’t have a record of continued success. 

41 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Undersold Ayling? Hindsight a wonderful thing. Adam Matthews was keeping him out the team, his contract running down, clearly wanted a move, piss gate at Cheltenham, £750,000 seemed a good amount at the time. 

Undersold no. Sometimes players move on and it just clicks at another club. Leeds and Ayling seems to be a good fit. 

Regarding Freeman I always rated him, not sure he ever got the credit he deserved on here? Again rumours of wanting a move back to London, contract running down, £300k ridiculous cheap I agree.

I’ve never heard anyone one suggest we got a good fee for Ayling before. He may not have suited the style LJ wanted but he was sold too cheaply, just as Freeman was. And I’m a long time LJ supporter.

• Admin
6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I beg to differ.  Fammy is on target for 14 this season, but behind him there's **** all in terms of out-and-out attacking threat. 

Anyway, I was saying the Nketiah antics and Afobe are among the excuses Johnson would put to the board to explain our relatively poor performance. I'm not making those excuses myself.

We are 7th in the table on goals scored and 18th on goals conceded, I would suggest that conceding is a far bigger issue than not scoring.

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why do you think LJ can’t take us into the top six? You posted on here recently: “Every player I’ve heard discussing LJ’s coaching is complimentary about his ability...”

Perhaps Wilbs’ recent interview has made you realise that’s just not true ...

I think you can be a decent coach and not make a great manager. 

And IMO that’s what Johnson is. A decent coach/head coach. 

He has had the time and backing to demonstrate that he can turn us into a ‘next level’ team, ie a serious threat to the playoffs. This will be his fourth full season here and the fourth one in which we will not finish in the playoffs - IMO. 

It’s time for fresh ideas. The evidence is there that we are not a serious threat to the top six under his management. 

He’s done a lot of good here and it should be changed while he can still walk out the building with his head held high. It’s going to get toxic again with another couple of defeats, and he doesn’t deserve to be jeered out of the club for the good he’s done, which people are very quick to forget. 

As for your last paragraph, believe it or not, I form my opinions based on what I see not interviews with old players. I couldn’t give a toss if Wilbs didn’t rate him tbh. He’s developed better players than Wilbs and enhanced their value. 

11 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Exactly and I bet their fan bases aren’t embarrassing themselves and over reacting 

Fair point and calls for his head are premature imo BUT you could also argue that no other Manager in the division would embarrass themselves and literally take the piss out of the fan base by talking about more box entries after a 4-0 home reverse...........that was as embarrassing as anything I have heard or even read on here (and that takes some doing) in a long time!!

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

We are 7th in the table on goals scored and 18th on goals conceded, I would suggest that conceding is a far bigger issue than not scoring.

It's a funny one. Looking at the stats, it appears to be an obvious conclusion to make. But I do wonder if being more potent up top - a fit Afobe, or the wunder kid Eddie - with pace or power and clinical finishing, might have a knock on consequence of improving us at the back.

Might spread belief across the team. And beyond.

We might, once or twice, have scored first, where instead we fell behind; or, against Blackburn say, have equalised before they doubled their lead. In that game, scored the one that went across the face of goal and merely needed a tap in.

I can't help thinking having more threat and thrust up front will improve the team all over, putting the opposition's defence under greater pressure, and simultaneously easing the pressure on our own (maybe it doesn't work like that, which I look forward to someone on here telling me). And I do think LJ has been unlucky, first with the Eddie to Leeds thing, then Afobe's injury. To be a promotion or play off contender, he needs an upgrade on Fam (as might any future coach here).

Having said that, it is Lee's job here to deal with injuries and setbacks and things going wrong. To "manage," in spite of things. The Eddie/Afobe attacking situation has derailed the first half of this season.

7 hours ago, Leveller said:

Mostly his teams come straight back down or he gets sacked because they’re looking like it. He doesn’t have a record of continued success. 

Exactly. He is short term-ism personified. He doesn't build for sustainable success, so is the antithesis of what SL has very publicly said he wants at City.

8 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Didn't he have to sell Baldock a few games into the promotion season?

Play a young Joe Bryan instead of an international, Cunningham?

Sign young players like Ayling, Freeman, Korey Smith and play them?

Get us promoted playing entertaining football packed with goals?

Nightmare? Dreamland more like.

1 hour ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

We would have got relegated so pretty irrelevant all your points 

The first 3 points above were in direct reply to points made by another poster - hardly 'irrelevant' then!

Btw. Cotterill had never been relegated in a 20 year managerial career despite taking on clubs in crisis more than once.He was a master at avoiding relegation and had earned the opportunity to do the same here.

7 hours ago, Leveller said:

I’ve never heard anyone one suggest we got a good fee for Ayling before. He may not have suited the style LJ wanted but he was sold too cheaply, just as Freeman was. And I’m a long time LJ supporter.

Ayling, Freeman, seems like an age ago. And the end of an era where, for whatever reason, we were hopeless at selling at the right time. But over the more recent past I don't think anyone can question the fact that we've got a whole lot better at it, whether that's down to LJ, MA, someone else, or a combination of all three. Compare Ayling and Freemen to Reid, Flint, Webster, Kelly

9 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

@Robbored Keith Dawe 

Its on the official site I’m shocked you weren’t aware...

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/steve-cotterill-relieved-of-his-duties/

Dear oh dear..............:facepalm:

What is it about  ‘no major decisions at AG are made without SLs approval.’  that you don’t understand? 

We all knew that SC was about to be sacked at the Senior Reds Xmas lunch when SL was guest speaker. Dawe may have dismissed him but under orders from SL.

7 hours ago, hodge said:

He was allowed to sign Agard after Baldock left, not a bad compromise. 

'young' Joe Bryan had featured in our side for a good 18 months before cotts, also cunningham wasn't as good a wing back as full back so formation benefitted Joe 

Who told us to sign Korey Smith again..? 

What I said above were facts that put Cotterill in the good light he deserved.

Your reply seems to come from a position where you are determined to give him no credit at all.

Who 'told us' to sign Korey Smith?

Nobody. LJ may have given him a good report if asked but Cotterill was his own man who would only have signed Korey if he wanted to.

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

What I said above were facts that put Cotterill in the good light he deserved.

Your reply seems to come from a position where you are determined to give him no credit at all.

Who 'told us' to sign Korey Smith?

Nobody. LJ may have given him a good report if asked but Cotterill was his own man who would only have signed Korey if he wanted to.

Wasn’t Korey Smith a swap deal? 

11 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I would be surprised if Johnson's position was under imminent threat. I mean, it wouldn't be astounding if he went, but it would surprise me given the faith Lansdown has in Lee, his preference for a long-termist approach, and the fact that Lee has banked the excuses of the last-minute NKetiah gazumping in August and Afobe's devastating injury as to why we present so little goal threat.

I would not be surprised if the thought of maybe ousting him has been discussed - however informally - by the directors, but as others have said, I think Lansdown will stick with his man, at least until he tries to steady the ship with new signings.

If Lee goes it'll be more likely to happen near or at the end of the season, if we seem to have gone backwards. If Lee achieves any slight advance on last term's placing, I think he'll remain in the job.

Our problem isn’t scoring goals, ironic though it is.

Our problem is defending properly.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Btw. Cotterill had never been relegated in a 20 year managerial career despite taking on clubs in crisis more than once.He was a master at avoiding relegation and had earned the opportunity to do the same here.

Cotts is a great lower league manager, but he's only been consistent at a higher level with Burnley - and their season finishes are below those achieved by Johnson. His second tier time at Pompey and Forest was poor.

4 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Our problem isn’t scoring goals, ironic though it is.

Our problem is defending properly.

It hadn't been until recently. But my point was not that the defence is OK. My point was that the Nketiah disappointment and Afobe injury will be used by Johnson as an excuse for under-performance when he speaks to the owner. "It threw our while season, boss" etc.

We do need a new striker though. We can't have more matches where Semenyo and Rodri are the forwards we have on the bench. We've scored 6 times in the last 6 games, 3 of those against the bottom club. 

11 hours ago, RedEyez said:

I would say after 46 games, if we haven’t improved upon last years final league position . 

Happy with 7th then, and 6th the next year failing at the semi playoff stage, then 5th, losing at the Wembley play off final, most of the time playing generally turgid, uninspiring, negative football through 23 home games, with a revolving door of speculative signings who don't fit whatever system is dreamt up on the day ?

Improving league position should only satisfy if accompanied by other improvements in my view, because if SL really wants sustainability, then the risk of diminishing matchday revenue might concern him..

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

We all knew that SC was about to be sacked at the Senior Reds Xmas lunch when SL was guest speaker.

I think you meant to say that you learned of Cotterill's sacking, rather than that he was about to be sacked, otherwise you're conferring enormous importance in your lunches.

SL certainly will have a long to-do list when he axes a manager, but I'm hopeful telling the manager himself is a bit higher on that list than telling the Senior Reds Xmas Lunch.

Archived