IGNORED

Johnsons position under scrutiny.

The hand of RO'D

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I think what we need is to be able to play our best back 4 regularly - something injuries have prevented until now. 

That's a whole thread of it's own.  We need good defenders at full back first and foremost and we most definitely didn't have that yesterday.

1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

Never a truer word, but not sexy enough for us is it? The defence is an utter shambles of a unit, yesterday was an outrage we handed the points the the Bees , Hunt is a liability in defence, Williams past his best, we content ourselves in picking up scraps that no one else wants. Truth is we are shambolic with recruitment, no plans it seems, no idea, and the occasional gems we make deflated and frustrated, in Massengo and Nagi we have real talent, the heart of the team should be built around the latter especially. Add to the awful  managing a game...well, even my Missus would have adjusted the formation after Williams sending off, eye watering stupidity, that alone should cost him his job.

Enough already!!!

Agree that Massengo/ Nagy is the future, but we seem to want the success now. If we could just accept a development season, we could lay the foundations for serious challenges in the future. How we’ve ended up with a bit of a mess of development and experience.

We also miss Pack, limited, but added a physical presence in front of the back 4, and why we often need to play 3 CB’s.

15 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Other than Dasilva and Kalas which two others make up our best back four ? 

I agree that we should keep a defensive unit together when we can.

I think it has to be Moore, but he needs to be played regularly to build his experience and to form a bond/relationship with Kalas. On the RHS at the moment I would probably go with Periera, as he seems the better defensive fullback, and for all that Hunt gives us going forward our biggest need is to strengthen the defensive part of our game.

28 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Kalas and Dasilva, scraps that no one else wants? 

They formed half of last season's strong defence but their absence through injury for most of the season has been a big factor. 

I suspect he meant Hunt and Williams, although the latter was bloody good until very recently.

Rowe has in the main been an unexpected and welcome bonus in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I think it has to be Moore, but he needs to be played regularly to build his experience and to form a bond/relationship with Kalas. On the RHS at the moment I would probably go with Periera, as he seems the better defensive fullback, and for all that Hunt gives us going forward our biggest need is to strengthen the defensive part of our game.

Agreed, Moore has to play alongside Kalas. We have an option to buy Periera at the end of the season and in view of his age etc., he has to be considered as our first choice RB in the longer term . Not sure when Hunt’s contract expires.

27 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Would play Pereira,,Moore,,Kalas & Dasilva from now untill season's end barring cup games/injury...

4 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Why has nobody snapped Cotts up? He's been available for some time.

He’s only been out of work for approx 20 months, which isn’t much for a manager. During that period he had a serious neck problem that required surgery and put him out of action for several months. In November he was interviewed for the Hearts job 

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRobin said:

Think it's this. From about 1.45 hr

Thanks for that Chippenham Red, Wilbraham comes over well and tells some good stories.  Any idea who the Muppet in the pink jumper is, sitting next to him?   The one who states....."The last thing you want is a Bristol accent"   "Cotterill is a Dick" and "I never thought Tammy Abraham would ever make it as a goalscorer"  not impressed by any of the three, but he seemed especially lacking?  IMHO.

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Thanks for that Chippenham Red, Wilbraham comes over well and tells some good stories.  Any idea who the Muppet in the pink jumper is, sitting next to him?   The one who states....."The last thing you want is a Bristol accent"   "Cotterill is a Dick" and "I never thought Tammy Abraham would ever make it as a goalscorer"  not impressed by any of the three, but he seemed especially lacking?  IMHO.

Jon Parkin I thought. Absolutely thick as shit and thinks hes really funny. I laughed at the bristol accent thing though.

12 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Would play Pereira,,Moore,,Kalas & Dasilva from now untill season's end barring cup games/injury...

Would that risk forfeiting the playoff push, if indeed one exists?

That said I'd be pretty interested to see that- younger, higher line easier to play, building- yet Pereira for the defensive stability.

4 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Why has nobody snapped Cotts up? He's been available for some time.

My understanding from those in a position to know such things is that, to paraphrase Clough, Cotts may not be the most unpopular man in the football business, but he's in the top one.......

3 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Jon Parkin I thought. Absolutely thick as shit and thinks hes really funny. I laughed at the bristol accent thing though.

Yeah his accent is "Really" good.........Pheckin Eh Oop!   Sounds like he was a dedicated footballer.........."Eh! I were shagged by half time"  ?

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That said I'd be pretty interested to see that- younger, higher line easier to play, building- yet Pereira for the defensive stability.

The key is not just  that back 4, but who we play in front of them and the way we play in front of them.

9 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The key is not just  that back 4, but who we play in front of them and the way we play in front of them.

Oh yeah agreed- I think that needs improving too.

My angle there is merely short term vs long term objectives- that sort of thing.

I'd hope to see Nagy-Massengo-Brownhill, with perhaps Smith as first reserve in front, Brownhill with more license to join the attack.

Perhaps even Rowe as one of the 3...he was signed as this and his experience yet decent technical ability could be useful! More battle hardened than Smith this year due to his time on the left.

I suppose a CM 3 poses issues in that it can give a greater risk of 2 vs 1 out wide, but with Pereira being more conservative that helps- Brownmhill can also pull right to help guard against.

On the left, Eliasson isn't the best defensively but his tackling seems to have increased of late- maybe him and DaSilva can give more of an attacking thrust to help pin the opposition back.

Weimann will run all day, pressuring the CBs and perhaps buying time for the midfield structure, protecting the defence.

There's definitely a strong potential unit that can be created there, hopefully LJ will hit upon the right combination!

To also add quickly, one other way might he:

Bentley

Pereira Moore Kalas DaSilva

Nagy Massengo/Rowe/Smith 

Brownhill Weimann Elliasson

Pick any 3 of the CM's and play Brownhill on the right- except higher knowing he has both a 3 man midfield behind and the reasonably conservative Pereira at RB. Eliasson will do what he does on the left!

Also it frees up Brownhill as he is higher, to do damage in the final 3rd, but he can also support Pereira as and when- like he did in that run in late Autumn/early Winter 2017/18.

3 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Hard to disagree with any of this, I’d still like us to shore up the leaky defence, having a goal scorer would also be a nice bonus.

I don't disagree with that, but I just wonder how the transfer window does that? We've got decent enough players: Kalas, Baker, Moore, Dasilva, Williams, Pereira, Hunt, Wright. Who would we bring in that would give you any more confidence that we'd shored it up? At least up front you can see that we're missing a 20 goal a season striker: not saying they are easy to find or how they fit in etc, but just that there is an evident gap there. Defensively, short of getting Adam Webster back, I'm not sure what sort of player we would be looking for.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's still the opinion of a few fans, meaningless in the wider context.

'Always someone else's fault apparently'  ... Mmm - sounds like you don't like Cotterill and this is tarnishing your view.

He was a success at Burnley - I doubt he'd have become the longest serving Championship manager otherwise.

Anyway, I'm not going to waste my time arguing with someone with such a fixed view, and unwilling to alter it one iota even when presented with undeniable facts to the contrary.

Just to reiterate you were completely wrong in describing his tenures at Pompey and Forest as 'poor'.

l''ll leave the exchange on that note.

Be lovely to be as emotionally invested in a manager as you are with Cotts.  The man has many admirable qualities, but I just don't think he achieved much above the third tier.

39 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

And yet the stats published today show Baker is by far the most dominant Centre Back in the air - Moore by far the worst.

I know fitness is an issue but a fit Baker / Kalas partnership has to be the strongest pairing at this moment.

1 minute ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

And yet the stats published today show Baker is by far the most dominant Centre Back in the air - Moore by far the worst.

I know fitness is an issue but a fit Baker / Kalas partnership has to be the strongest pairing at this moment.

Just wait for LJ to play Wright alongside Kalas now then....:whistle2:

20 hours ago, The hand of RO'D said:

I have it on very good authority that LJs position as manager is under scrutiny tonight, not from Steve but a very close relation. 

Traditionally the City board would meet on a Monday evening and management changes would be discussed then. Going back  to  my earliest City days; Fred Ford & Alan Dicks were relieved of their duties on a Monday.

The last few League results have been poor and may have caused some concern. However on Saturday, we are home in a Cup game to a team from a lower level. Lose that and the Board's discussion on Monday could be heated.

As for what others have posted about the shambolic defence; a cliché is that forwards win games, but defences win titles. Currently we are proving this to be a truism.

12 minutes ago, 22A said:

Traditionally the City board would meet on a Monday evening and management changes would be discussed then. Going back  to  my earliest City days; Fred Ford & Alan Dicks were relieved of their duties on a Monday.

The last few League results have been poor and may have caused some concern. However on Saturday, we are home in a Cup game to a team from a lower level. Lose that and the Board's discussion on Monday could be heated.

As for what others have posted about the shambolic defence; a cliché is that forwards win games, but defences win titles. Currently we are proving this to be a truism.

Why would people with absolutely no real say in club decisions dare to get heated ?

SL says appoint Katie Price into the job it happens.

1 hour ago, Chappers said:

Agree that Massengo/ Nagy is the future, but we seem to want the success now. If we could just accept a development season, we could lay the foundations for serious challenges in the future. How we’ve ended up with a bit of a mess of development and experience.

We also miss Pack, limited, but added a physical presence in front of the back 4, and why we often need to play 3 CB’s.

Put Watkins in Packs place. He's quick, can move with the ball and good in the air.

1 hour ago, Chappers said:

Nagy isn't a kid though Chappers is he, and I doubt he's paid like a prospect either.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I feel Lee needs to put words into action in the shape of actually building for the future..not just saying it..

39 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I completely get what you say but I view Moore as capable of bringing the ball out - a Webby in the making possibly-worth persevering with.

14 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

I feel Lee needs to put words into action in the shape of actually building for the future..not just saying it..

True, it's about the balance too though.

Would our playoff hopes take a hit with such a shift? Don't think the fans would like effectively throwing in the towel for the top 6 with 20 games left.

Not saying we couldn't benefit in the medium to long term with it of course.

Archived