IGNORED

Johnsons position under scrutiny.

The hand of RO'D

52 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

And yet the stats published today show Baker is by far the most dominant Centre Back in the air - Moore by far the worst.

I know fitness is an issue but a fit Baker / Kalas partnership has to be the strongest pairing at this moment.

Wyscout has Kalas as our CB with highest aerial duel win %

For what it's if Moore is our lowest (it's not by far) you'd need to compare it against the rest of the division, hypothetically we could have the 5 best in the league but he'd still be the lowest in our team but 5th in the league would be great

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Wyscout has Kalas as our CB with highest aerial duel win %

For what it's if Moore is our lowest (it's not by far) you'd need to compare it against the rest of the division, hypothetically we could have the 5 best in the league but he'd still be the lowest in our team but 5th in the league would be great

Apologies for the error but are we agreed Baker and Kalas are at least statistically a better partnership?

27 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Nagy isn't a kid though Chappers is he, and I doubt he's paid like a prospect either.

No, but he's new to English football, and played just 51 games in the previous 3 seasons. He will take time to adjust fully, as we are seeing.

Quite frankly, the club is in a mess recruitment wise. No strategy is in place from what I can see with regards to the recruitment process. Panic signings, no thought process, yaddy, yaddy yah. A shambles!

The boil needs to be lanced in the 1st instance of sorting mess out like this. That means that Johnson has to go. I am unsure what role Ashton has nowadays, but if he is/was involved with the recruitment process also, then get rid also.

Start again afresh, but PLEASE ensure we have a strategy and plan in place - and no more of these panic buys, shithousery. What a ****** mess.

7 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Quite frankly, the club is in a mess recruitment wise. No strategy is in place from what I can see with regards to the recruitment process. Panic signings, no thought process, yaddy, yaddy yah. A shambles!

The boil needs to be lanced in the 1st instance of sorting mess out like this. That means that Johnson has to go. I am unsure what role Ashton has nowadays, but if he is/was involved with the recruitment process also, then get rid also.

Start again afresh, but PLEASE ensure we have a strategy and plan in place - and no more of these panic buys, shithousery. What a ****** mess.

It’s been well documented the club are working 2 windows in advance on signings , constantly scouting the type of players we want , so they’re not panic buys.

problem I have is , we seem to have all sorts of players to fit all systems but the manager doesn’t know what to do with them or the right system to play or coach them the way he wants to play. Imo he doesn’t know how he wants to play. So many systems and styles of play over the last few years , but no identity , no matter what myth he tries to peddle. 
we’ve had the “I want my busy bees, technical players” 

Now he says there’s not enough physicality in the side so he wants powerful players . 

I’ve got a idea LJ . Pick a system, say  433 and have a balance of power,  pace and guile just like uuuuummmm Brentford . A club with identity that’s done it with a fraction of the money you’ve spent. 

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Be lovely to be as emotionally invested in a manager as you are with Cotts.  The man has many admirable qualities, but I just don't think he achieved much above the third tier.

Cotterill was sacked because he had the gall to be miffed that having performed a miracle at this club including exhilarating football he wasn't trusted to manage in the way he saw fit.

Johnson was recruited on the premise that he bought into the strategy, 50 odd mostly average players later mostly playing tedious sideways stuff almost as boring as the SOD era, what bollocks that turned out to be.

I'd have Cotterill back in a heartbeat together with an insistence that he gets given the resources which Johnson has been.

3 hours ago, Chappers said:

Agree that Massengo/ Nagy is the future, but we seem to want the success now. If we could just accept a development season, we could lay the foundations for serious challenges in the future. How we’ve ended up with a bit of a mess of development and experience.

We also miss Pack, limited, but added a physical presence in front of the back 4, and why we often need to play 3 CB’s.

I see Pack defended his back 4 well at QPR yesterday

3 hours ago, maxjak said:

Thanks for that Chippenham Red, Wilbraham comes over well and tells some good stories.  Any idea who the Muppet in the pink jumper is, sitting next to him?   The one who states....."The last thing you want is a Bristol accent"   "Cotterill is a Dick" and "I never thought Tammy Abraham would ever make it as a goalscorer"  not impressed by any of the three, but he seemed especially lacking?  IMHO.

Skip to 1 hr 40 and you see the 2 on the right dipping in to a what could be charlie as rubbing it on their gums 

Also the muppet in pink is jon parkin 

58 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Cotterill was sacked because he had the gall to be miffed that having performed a miracle at this club including exhilarating football he wasn't trusted to manage in the way he saw fit.

Johnson was recruited on the premise that he bought into the strategy, 50 odd mostly average players later mostly playing tedious sideways stuff almost as boring as the SOD era, what bollocks that turned out to be.

I'd have Cotterill back in a heartbeat together with an insistence that he gets given the resources which Johnson has been.

What can you do with a £14.1m turnover on promotion as such...I mean you can do a fair bit as Brentford are showing but they sell, sell, sell.

There was also FFP to keep an eye on...like I say maybe you can do something, think Brentford in that range. What we couldn't do in summer 2015 was sign Gayle, and quite possibly Maguire and Gray too...I see both sides to it basically, but think Cotts should've been pragmatic for a year, perhaps 18 months while the budget and revenue streams grew which they inevitably did as the ground was being finished, and the events etc.

Think we've got better players than the performance level suggests...an increasingly urgent question is if LJ can turn the tide IMO.

53 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I completely agree with you, but there would have to be a change in ownership for that to happen.

57 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It’s been well documented the club are working 2 windows in advance on signings , constantly scouting the type of players we want , so they’re not panic buys.

problem I have is , we seem to have all sorts of players to fit all systems but the manager doesn’t know what to do with them or the right system to play or coach them the way he wants to play. Imo he doesn’t know how he wants to play. So many systems and styles of play over the last few years , but no identity , no matter what myth he tries to peddle. 
we’ve had the “I want my busy bees, technical players” 

Now he says there’s not enough physicality in the side so he wants powerful players . 

I’ve got a idea LJ . Pick a system, say  433 and have a balance of power,  pace and guile just like uuuuummmm Brentford . A club with identity that’s done it with a fraction of the money you’ve spent. 

Run out of ‘likes’ but spot on.

We have a Plan A ... people may complain we may not have have a Plan B...but we’ve got Plans C-Z covered!

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What can you do with a £14.1m turnover on promotion as such...I mean you can do a fair bit as Brentford are showing but they sell, sell, sell.

There was also FFP to keep an eye on...like I say maybe you can do something, think Brentford in that range. What we couldn't do in summer 2015 was sign Gayle, and quite possibly Maguire and Gray too...I see both sides to it basically, but think Cotts should've been pragmatic for a year, perhaps 18 months while the budget and revenue streams grew which they inevitably did as the ground was being finished, and the events etc.

Think we've got better players than the performance level suggests...question is if LJ can turn the tide IMO.

He signed Kodjia which was pretty good!

When I look at that team and where half of them are now though - Freeman, Ayling, Bryan, Reid, Kodjia, Flint, Pack, Williams... that's more than half a team of good quality top half championship players. I reckon I'd have a lot of them back now!

My concern is that from what I understand of your posts we're in a bit of a "golden period" now when it comes to FFP - and I'm worried we're going to waste it. Who knows when we'll next have successive summers of selling players for £20m+... we need to get the most out of it we absolutely can now, which is why I'm leaning towards a change. Give the new guy until the summer to assess the squad, and then the money to do the business. Easy ;) 

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I still wonder about the maths and whether it was feasible at that point in time, even for those 2.

Well the ensuing demise of the double winning manager and the swift appointment of the apparent "boy wonder" suggests that our benevolent dictator decided otherwise.

And he has spent a fortune trying to justify that decision.

9 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

He signed Kodjia which was pretty good!

When I look at that team and where half of them are now though - Freeman, Ayling, Bryan, Reid, Kodjia, Flint, Pack, Williams... that's more than half a team of good quality top half championship players. I reckon I'd have a lot of them back now!

My concern is that from what I understand of your posts we're in a bit of a "golden period" now when it comes to FFP - and I'm worried we're going to waste it. Who knows when we'll next have successive summers of selling players for £20m+... we need to get the most out of it we absolutely can now, which is why I'm leaning towards a change. Give the new guy until the summer to assess the squad, and then the money to do the business. Easy ;) 

No doubt Cotts is/was good at identifying players.

You're right there, that team failed big time considering. Granted Reid and Bryan were sold under LJ for FFP, plan etc etc but we shouldn't have bombed as we did IMO.

Then maybe, just maybe Cotts would've reaped the budget of LJ.

19 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Well the ensuing demise of the double winning manager and the swift appointment of the apparent "boy wonder" suggests that our benevolent dictator decided otherwise.

And he has spent a fortune trying to justify that decision.

Maths are maths.

Were it not feasible at that time then that's all there is to it...I'm suggesting that Cotts might have been better served tempering his ambitions for a year or so. Playing the game so to speak.

Again, maths are maths...you also overlook how much we raised in fees, or how much our revenue separate from that grew in that timespan. LJ was pretty lucky to be here when he was in that respect, for sure.

The fact we had somewhat greater resources under LJ than Cotts is just one of those things- brought about in part, perhaps largely by that 'M' word again!

Fill your boots?

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/01501663/filing-history

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/appendix-5---financial-fair-play-regulations/

OTOH, teams who break it wilfully need to be strongly punished...or there is no point!

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

But he's been in the job much longer now and should have ironed out those losing runs. I don't think even SL could take many more of these extended blips.

Been following this thread today.

What will force Lansdownes decision on Johnson, will be  if the fans do/don’t turn against him. Johnson is walking on eggshells with the City fans at the moment. A bad performance next weekend v Shrewsbury and the knives will start to come out.

FACT - Losing £££££ income from us punters (yes we are punters to Lansdown) is what hurts Lansdown more than anything. 

Just a matter of when/not if IMO. But another poor performance/heaven forbid, a loss on Saturday will speed the process up somewhat.

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Maths are maths.

Were it not feasible at that time then that's all there is to it...I'm suggesting that Cotts might have been better served tempering his ambitions for a year or so. Playing the game so to speak.

Again, maths are maths...you also overlook how much we raised in fees, or how much our revenue separate from that grew in that timespan. LJ was pretty lucky to be here when he was in that respect, for sure.

The fact we had somewhat greater resources under LJ than Cotts is just one of those things- brought about in part, perhaps largely by that 'M' word again!

Fill your boots?

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/01501663/filing-history

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/appendix-5---financial-fair-play-regulations/

Well considering that others within the club tried to renegotiate, rather than just pulling the plug suggests to me it must have been a close call if ffp was an issue. 

Anyway it's all history now, though it won't stop me forever wondering what might have been.

2 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Been following this thread today.

What will force Lansdownes decision on Johnson, will be  if the fans do/don’t turn against him. Johnson is walking on eggshells with the City fans at the moment. A bad performance next weekend v Shrewsbury and the knives will start to come out.

FACT - Losing £££££ income from us punters (yes we are punters to Lansdown) is what hurts Lansdown more than anything. 

Just a matter of when/not if IMO. But another poor performance/heaven forbid, a loss on Saturday will speed the process up somewhat.

Had we lost to Luton I wonder if that might have done it.

Quite a few I know had a feeling it could.

1 minute ago, Frenchay Red said:

Well considering that others within the club tried to renegotiate, rather than just pulling the plug suggests to me it must have been a close call if ffp was an issue. 

Anyway it's all history now, though it won't stop me forever wondering what might have been.

Okay, maybe I'm a bit wrong then- maybe it was a case of a revised deal would see us fine and the original Cotts deal would have seen us with problems.

Likewise, what might have been eh...I think that squad incidentally even without those 2 shouldn't have struggled as they did.

He will not be going anywhere until at least the play-offs are out of the question, the worst case scenario is if we finish 7th as that will show another year-on improvement and will mask the fact that we have had to put up with such dull football, luckily for him it is such a poor division bar the top 3

Archived