IGNORED

Johnsons position under scrutiny.

The hand of RO'D

24 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Poor season ticket sales would possibly move the situation forward BUT I think most people will renew regardless and moan from there!!

Brentford showed us, the fans, what can be done in this league on a budget. The comparison between them and us was very sobering. We can all see it despite football employees like LJ thinking we know nothing. But will that bother SL? Who knows?

Agreed Brentford are a very impressive club in many ways.

Anyone else notice their pre-match routine where it appeared the whole team played across the entire half-pitch as if camped out in the opposition half? Pass, pass, pass, pass, out wide, ball across the middle, finish - repeat. It was evident they had a very particular way of playing.

1 hour ago, The hand of RO'D said:

I have it on very good authority that LJs position as manager is under scrutiny tonight, not from Steve but a very close relation. 

I'm not going to post my source but feel free to go back through my last topics/posts for my credentials. 

My big concern is that he had been given considerably more lolly than any previous manager and we are not really progressing. In the meantime the squad is getting bigger and bigger which cannot be good for anybody.

13 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

..........and 2 points off the play off zone!

:dunno:

EDIT: Sorry just read that Red Dave and Kid in the Riot said basically the same thing.

People were making this argument towards the end of last season when we only won 3 of 13 games. It always about how many points we were from 6th, but any sane person could see from our form that we were heading down the table. And we did.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Out of interest, have you ever taken even a cursory glance at the success of SLs managerial picks at City?

If you have, then you may wish to be careful what you wish for...

You are so right. Whilst I don't rate LJ, or our chances of achieving a great deal under him, I have almost no confidence in SL replacing him with anyone better. And sadly there comes a point when commitment fades. Mediocrity is corrosive and was for my enjoyment of watching City in the years between GJ and Cotts.

That said there will always be folk who are happy with us muddling along. I recall that even Keith Millen - Teflon Keith - had his glee club on here, for whom he was a messiah in waiting...

1 minute ago, mozo said:

People were making this argument towards the end of last season when we only won 3 of 13 games. It always about how many points we were from 6th, but any sane person could see from our form that we were heading down the table. And we did.

I used to say it a lot, but I’ve stopped saying it, because I can’t keep saying it forever.

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Out of interest, have you ever taken even a cursory glance at the success of SLs managerial picks at City?

If you have, then you may wish to be careful what you wish for...

My argument would be that it can’t get any worse. I don’t recall any of our previous managers playing such consistently shit football (SOD aside). 

As much as Cotts got wrong, his football was still attacking towards the end and good to watch. 

22 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

SL is still on the board.

JL is effectively being paid to be chairman by his Dad. 

And you think JL holds the power?

There are 4 members of the board: Steve and Jon Lansdown, Doug Harman and Mark Ashton.  I'm sure they are all involved in discussions about the future direction of the club, but I would imagine Steve feels that his significant investment gives him the right to make the final call. I certainly wouldn't begrudge him that right.

3 minutes ago, boatman said:

My big concern is that he had been given considerably more lolly than any previous manager and we are not really progressing. In the meantime the squad is getting bigger and bigger which cannot be good for anybody.

That’s exactly it. No manager we’ve ever appointed before has had a squad like this. This is a really good squad with 10x more money spent on it than anyone else has ever had. A new manager would get to work with it, not the shitty excuses of squads other managers have inherited. 

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

My argument would be that it can’t get any worse. I don’t recall any of our previous managers playing such consistently shit football (SOD aside). 

As much as Cotts got wrong, his football was still attacking towards the end and good to watch. 

SL didn't choose Cotterill. 

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Agreed Brentford are a very impressive club in many ways.

Anyone else notice their pre-match routine where it appeared the whole team played across the entire half-pitch as if camped out in the opposition half? Pass, pass, pass, pass, out wide, ball across the middle, finish - repeat. It was evident they had a very particular way of playing.

I did watch it. Very impressive, not sure our groundsman was very happy with it though! 

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Obviously not given current performance levels. However, performance can improve! LJ has turned things around before and needs to do it again.  

I am sympathetic towards this view and it’s the sort of thing I’ve said myself many times in the past. But how many more times to we need to give him the chance to “turn it around”? Do we never get to a point where we say he’s had enough chances?

Previously I’ve felt he was probably about par but this now feels like substantial underachievement given the squad at his disposal.

I’m running out of patience with the inconsistency of our performances, the lack of ant settled side, formation, tactics or generally any sense that we know how we want to play and how we’re going to do it. I’d welcome a change.

5 minutes ago, Dave L said:

There are 4 members of the board: Steve and Jon Lansdown, Doug Harman and Mark Ashton.  I'm sure they are all involved in discussions about the future direction of the club, but I would imagine Steve feels that his significant investment gives him the right to make the final call. I certainly wouldn't begrudge him that right.

That's Mark Ashton, also effectively paid by SL. Actually the same presumably applies to Harman too.

Archived