IGNORED

Johnsons position under scrutiny.

The hand of RO'D

Been reading all this,,, its an emotive subject with people on both sides, we may not all agree but we can respect each others opinions.

for what its worth i cant see lj being replaced until the end of the season at the earliest, and only then if we finish lower than last season.

obviously recent results are very poor, And the squad is bloated and unbalanced  but looking at the players gone and injuries this season i figure lj has earned the right to see the season out.

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I would be surprised if Johnson's position was under imminent threat. I mean, it wouldn't be astounding if he went, but it would surprise me given the faith Lansdown has in Lee, his preference for a long-termist approach, and the fact that Lee has banked the excuses of the last-minute NKetiah gazumping in August and Afobe's devastating injury as to why we present so little goal threat.

I would not be surprised if the thought of maybe ousting him has been discussed - however informally - by the directors, but as others have said, I think Lansdown will stick with his man, at least until he tries to steady the ship with new signings.

If Lee goes it'll be more likely to happen near or at the end of the season, if we seem to have gone backwards. If Lee achieves any slight advance on last term's placing, I think he'll remain in the job.

We aren’t lacking in the goal threat department, per se, it’s the defence that is our downfall, we have a negative GD, it would be a rare season to get anything with that level of conceding.

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

Again I don’t agree. This is not a nice job for the next incumbent. The expectation here is sky high - getting out of the most competitive league - when we have one striker and no money to spend. 

Lee Johnson got plenty of time, for romantic reasons, but we also sacked a guy who delivered a championship league trophy a few months later having not really given him any money. We didn’t give SOD any money and he went (I’m not complaining on that front though). 

People know why LJ has been given a war chest and time. And it’s to do with relationships. Few others could expect the same. Like I said we’ve improved but our return on investment is mediocre. We are up to FFP limits, playing crap with an imbalanced squad and desperate for strikers - the most expensive position. 

If I was a manager building a good reputation, I wouldn’t want this job. In a pre-FFP world, definitely. Not now, not now LJ has left us with one, one-dimensional centre forward, few goals from midfield and little budget. 

Cotts was sacked because he didn't believe in the philosophy and was taking us down.

10 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Imagine the nightmare Cotts would have been if he'd been required to regularly sell his best players in order to balance the books, bring on youth team players and buy in youngsters with potential to improve and sell on for a profit as club finances allowed or dictated and still manage to improve league position season by season.

You say this like LJ has regularly done it. LJ can use Webster for that point only. All the others sold for big money were already at the club. 

Cotts wasn’t given anything. LJ has signed 64 players. The majority of which have been tripe. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Some managers thrive on high expectations. In fact that’s what the best ones have to deal with all of the time. The issue is how much backing they will get financially. Unfortunately we can’t sell our ground to our owner to avoid FFP because he already owns it...

The clubs that "sold" their stadia did so because they don't have a financial strategy of sustainability as we do, were spending beyond their means and had to resort to selling their stadia to avoid ffp penalties. Derby's owner commented that they would be adopting a policy of sustainability , which was a bit rich as they had no other option, as they could only sell the stadium the once.

Outside of the clubs enjoying parachute payments,  how many championship clubs can realistically offer an incoming manager a warchest that will enable a major overhaul of a squad? The harsh financial realities of the new ffp world, is that the majority of clubs will have limited financial leeway. For all his faults ( which are widely documented on OTIB at the moment!) you have to credit LJ with being able to lose key players each summer but still be competitive the following season, while delivering a profit on player transactions. I fancy that more and more managers will have to face and live with this type of strategy at other than the wealthiest clubs.

3 hours ago, The hand of RO'D said:

I have it on very good authority that LJs position as manager is under scrutiny tonight, not from Steve but a very close relation. 

I'm not going to post my source but feel free to go back through my last topics/posts for my credentials. 

Well, Keith Dawe isn't around to save him single handedly this time, so it could happen.

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Who cares. The man at the helm is more important than any January signings. We’re in no danger of relegation and we won’t finish in the top six under Johnson so if we’re going to change do it ASAP so the new man has as long as possible to evaluate ready for the summer. 

Why do you think LJ can’t take us into the top six? You posted on here recently: “Every player I’ve heard discussing LJ’s coaching is complimentary about his ability...”

Perhaps Wilbs’ recent interview has made you realise that’s just not true ...

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

You say this like LJ has regularly done it. LJ can use Webster for that point only. All the others sold for big money were already at the club. 

Cotts wasn’t given anything. LJ has signed 64 players. The majority of which have been tripe. 

It's not whether LJ bought the players to the club, it was that the club's sustainability strategy required him to accept that he would see his better players sold to help balance the books, but also that the money generated would help balance the books for ffp , so that he would not have all the proceeds for replacement player purchases.              

In any event, you can't penalise LJ for the profit achieved on players that were already at the club when he came as head coach - that's hardly his "fault". You could argue that but for LJ's intervention and foresight we would never had got anything like the fee we did for Bobby Reid.                                    

My question was how happy would Cotts have been to work under those constraints?

14 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

We aren’t lacking in the goal threat department, per se, it’s the defence that is our downfall, we have a negative GD, it would be a rare season to get anything with that level of conceding.

I beg to differ.  Fammy is on target for 14 this season, but behind him there's **** all in terms of out-and-out attacking threat. 

Anyway, I was saying the Nketiah antics and Afobe are among the excuses Johnson would put to the board to explain our relatively poor performance. I'm not making those excuses myself.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I did think the incident at the end of the game had parallels with that Cotterill incident - that sort of thing Lansdown looks unkindly on. Johnson cannot talk his players about discipline on the pitch when he reacts like that. Totally undermines himself.

You don’t know how that played out - if the rest of the board were definite Johnson needs to go, and it was totally unanimous - he wouldn’t ignore them.

But they weren't. One man , Mr Dawe ensured Johnson stayed last time.

I’ve not thought it was the end for LJ, but maybe now, it is. Summer recruitment was poor, leaving us with a lightweight midfield, plus unlucky with the Afobe injury. Can we afford millions tied up in Massengo who is unlikely to be effective at Championship level for 1 or 2 years?

We have been a selling club, where are the next big sales? 2 decent midfielders coming through in Walsh and Morrell, so we sign 4 midfielders. It’s as though we don’t know if we are developing players or trying to buy promotion. In my opinion, the squad is not that great, hence why we have been playing the 3 centre backs, at least it gives us a degree of solidity. 
January, I would not spend big, don’t think it’s affordable, unloading players will be difficult, and we are chasing a placing that only gives us just a 25% chance of promotion. 

Maybe time for a change, certainly time for a reality check about how good this squad is.

26 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Imagine the nightmare Cotts would have been if he'd been required to regularly sell his best players in order to balance the books, bring on youth team players and buy in youngsters with potential to improve and sell on for a profit as club finances allowed or dictated and still manage to improve league position season by season.

Didn't he have to sell Baldock a few games into the promotion season?

Play a young Joe Bryan instead of an international, Cunningham?

Sign young players like Ayling, Freeman, Korey Smith and play them?

Get us promoted playing entertaining football packed with goals?

Nightmare? Dreamland more like.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Didn't he have to sell Baldock a few games into the promotion season?

Play a young Joe Bryan instead of an international, Cunningham?

Sign young players like Ayling, Freeman, Korey Smith and play them?

Get us promoted playing entertaining football packed with goals?

Nightmare? Dreamland more like.

In league 1 we were a big fish in a much smaller pond and had the financial muscle to buy almost certainly the best squad in the division. Not taking anything away from that achievement,  because it was a special season, but there is a huge gulf between league 1 and the championship  and especially financially,  given the constraints now imposed by ffp.

Lots of good points made.

In my opinion,i t's the infrastructure of the club that has moved forward; not the playing staff over the last 4 years. The club is set up now with its facilites, plus the new training ground to take us to the next level.

The expectations now have got o be to push on, and if not to go up; at least to show year on year improvement. That had not happened this year despite major investment in the playing staff (only Webster of the starting 11 last year has really left).

Every manager has a timespan at a club when things start to go awry; and drift downhill. We are 2 points off the playoffs, yes; but realistically so are far more teams that from a performance stand point are in a much better place. In theory, if we were to make a change now; how would it hurt us? We have no impertus already; we are just drifting towards a mid table finish on 56 points ish no doubt.

Do we waste another 6 months? Or twist in the Jan window,  and try and get the playing side of the club going again. Tough choices for the board, and I don't think they're brave enough to make them.

15 minutes ago, downendcity said:

It's not whether LJ bought the players to the club, it was that the club's sustainability strategy required him to accept that he would see his better players sold to help balance the books, but also that the money generated would help balance the books for ffp , so that he would not have all the proceeds for replacement player purchases.              

In any event, you can't penalise LJ for the profit achieved on players that were already at the club when he came as head coach - that's hardly his "fault". You could argue that but for LJ's intervention and foresight we would never had got anything like the fee we did for Bobby Reid.                                    

My question was how happy would Cotts have been to work under those constraints?

Excellent post. 

It's all very well to compare the budget of Cotts and LJ. For want of a better word, their respective backing. 

I find that @Fordy62 often doesn't factor in FFP, the operating losses or that our budget last season was more than twice- twice- that of what Cotts had. 

By our budget I guess I ultimately mean our turnover but that makes an enormous difference. 

Something that I feel can get missed. Certainly don't see Gayle as altogether feasible in Summer 2015, Gray went to Burnley (Parachute Payments)  and Maguire Hull (Parachute Payments again).

39 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

We are the second lowest creater of chances in the league. Only 194 chances created all season. 

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

In league 1 we were a big fish in a much smaller pond and had the financial muscle to buy almost certainly the best squad in the division. Not taking anything away from that achievement,  because it was a special season, but there is a huge gulf between league 1 and the championship  and especially financially,  given the constraints now imposed by ffp.

We might have been a big fish by name but that didn't stop numerous managers struggling at that level with City.

Cotterill didn't spend alot on the likes of Ayling, Smith, Freeman, Wilbraham,  - wages perhaps, but it was a very small and compact squad.

He was a very experienced Championship manager who had never been relegated in a 20 year managerial career.

He deserved to be backed after promotion. He told me at the promotion party in Millennium Square (when I cheekily said, 'same again next season Cotts?) that he was going to give consecutive promotions 'a bloody good go.'

My impression was he genuinely thought it a reasonable aim if he was backed.

Damn shame he wasn't backed even half of much as LJ has been, we were on a fantastic roll after promotion and anything was possible imo.

Archived