IGNORED

Next manager?

Tim Bartlett

1 hour ago, tin said:

SL thinks we’re some sort of mini Barcelona and we should promote from within. Luke Williams, the former U23 coach, was thought to be heir apparent to LJ before he went to MK Dons. 

Sport type franchise, not 'like' Barcelona FC.

And no, LW was not lined up as a potential successor. 

4 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I don't believe LJ will be sacked this season, but admit he is walking the tight rope now, so for me it would be former Fulham boss Jokanovic.

He has a high paying job in the middle east I believe. Talk of costs he would be one of the most expensive imo

Also someone mentioned John Terry and I do not think that would be terrible. You know respect wouldn’t be a problem then anyway. Whether he is ready you never know until they get a job. 

As for Karanka, I don’t think I’d mind dull football. We don’t get much entertainment as it is but more than that I’d like a style. This is probably contradicting myself a bit but I have thought this over the last couple weeks. If we actually had an identity and just weren’t good enough I think could accept this. LJ, the assistants, the players and us do not know our best XI or formation. So I am not sure anyone knows if we are underachieving or not. This is part of the problem. So with a Karanka I think we would figure out where we stood in the division at least

31 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

There’s bound to be a good suggestion soon.......

A manager who can build a TEAM, small squad - quality not quantity, players with mental and physical strength, a consistent game plan and identity, someone who can spot talent, who has won trophies and promotion, plays fast, entertaining attacking football......

Come back Cotts, all is forgiven.

Just imagine a Cotts/Warnock combination - that would sort out our soft underbelly out once and for all!

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

He has a high paying job in the middle east I believe. Talk of costs he would be one of the most expensive imo

Also someone mentioned John Terry and I do not think that would be terrible. You know respect wouldn’t be a problem then anyway. Whether he is ready you never know until they get a job. 

As for Karanka, I don’t think I’d mind dull football. We don’t get much entertainment as it is but more than that I’d like a style. This is probably contradicting myself a bit but I have thought this over the last couple weeks. If we actually had an identity and just weren’t good enough I think could accept this. LJ, the assistants, the players and us do not know our best XI or formation. So I am not sure anyone knows if we are underachieving or not. This is part of the problem. So with a Karanka I think we would figure out where we stood in the division at least

I would be fine with Terry getting a chance if the club thought he fit the bill but I must admit it would stick in my throat a bit if the people on here who feel Lee Johnson’s Problem is that he lacks Championship experience suddenly decided they were fine with someone who has never managed before just because he is a big name. To be clear, I don’t personally think “experience” is any means the guarantee of success some people think but I think people should be consistent in their arguments.

Whilst I would support whoever got appointed, I must admit I would be very underwhelmed with Karanka. This is Not because of the dull football but because it took him a while and a struggle to get a heavily resourced Boro side promoted and then underachieved with a big spending Nottingham Forest. I think his reputation and links with Mourinho masks the fact his record is not as successful as it might be.

Think its unlikely LJ will leave anytime soon, but the fans are getting impatient. All this talk of Identity is really starting to grate on me - its more like an identity crisis !! The excuse used to be that we are a young team who are still learning, yet now we have some experienced professionals in our team and squad. I think there is enough talent in the squad to more than hold our own in this league, im just not sure LJ is the man to get the best out of them. The Championship is notoriously competitive, but this season has seen some awful inconsistency and we have missed an opportunity to push on.

If he does go id love to see Chris Coleman come in. He has made a couple of poor decisions going to Sunderland and Hebei China Fortune, possibly swayed by money. But I like him as a guy, and I think his best years are ahead of him as a manager. Im sure he would shake up the dressing room and get the best out of the squad.

6 minutes ago, RedRock said:

A manager who can build a TEAM, small squad - quality not quantity, players with mental and physical strength, a consistent game plan and identity, someone who can spot talent, who has won trophies and promotion, plays fast, entertaining attacking football......

Ah yes, a manager who would rather have empty space on the bench than play academy players 

Who stubbornly refused to change a formation that wasn’t working

Who tried to bring in unrealistic targets instead of build a sustainable squad

Its time we looked forward for a new manager, not back

22 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I would be fine with Terry getting a chance if the club thought he fit the bill but I must admit it would stick in my throat a bit if the people on here who feel Lee Johnson’s Problem is that he lacks Championship experience suddenly decided they were fine with someone who has never managed before just because he is a big name. To be clear, I don’t personally think “experience” is any means the guarantee of success some people think but I think people should be consistent in their arguments.

Whilst I would support whoever got appointed, I must admit I would be very underwhelmed with Karanka. This is Not because of the dull football but because it took him a while and a struggle to get a heavily resourced Boro side promoted and then underachieved with a big spending Nottingham Forest. I think his reputation and links with Mourinho masks the fact his record is not as successful as it might be.

Yea I would be underwhelmed with Karanka and the same with Warnock at that. Just wanted to make the point that we probably find out how good(Or bad) we actually are in the league. It is possible LJ is getting the most out of this squad. I don’t believe that but not sure you can say it for sure either way because we play so many different ways(which I think is the main problem). 

56 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Chris Hughton has rejected Watford, Stoke and Sheffield Wednesday in recent months just so everyone knows....

Apparently he is desperate to take over in BS3 though. ?

More realistic would be someone like Tim Sherwood.

Though if Bournemouth pull the trigger I wonder whether Howe could be tempted. We know SL occasionally likes to make a statement of intent.

55 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Chris Hughton has rejected Watford, Stoke and Sheffield Wednesday in recent months just so everyone knows....

That’s because he’s had a nudge nudge wink wink from a certain person about a soon to become vacancy at a certain south Bristol club. Say no more squire, say no more!

1 hour ago, Fatknacker said:

As a resident of Sussex and consequently with many friends supporting Brighton, I think I can say with a fair degree of confidence that none of them would have him back as a gift. His style of play cautious and not entertaining...nice man but that’s where it ends.

That maybe true of his time trying to keep them in the Premiership but they were certainly a good attacking side the year they went up.

5 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Apparently he is desperate to take over in BS3 though. ?

More realistic would be someone like Tim Sherwood.

Though if Bournemouth pull the trigger I wonder whether Howe could be tempted. We know SL occasionally likes to make a statement of intent.

Howe would easily get a premier league job

5 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

That’s because he’s had a nudge nudge wink wink from a certain person about a soon to become vacancy at a certain south Bristol club. Say no more squire, say no more!

All jokes aside it’s high time we stopped thinking of ourselves as the little old Bristol City we were ten years ago  

We have top class facilities, a generous and sometimes unfathomably patient owner and a talented squad. 

Everything at this club is ready for a serious promotion challenge, not just as some plucky outsider but as a genuine force under the right management. 

IMO and not being biased, if it were available, this would be one of the most attractive vacancies outside of the premier league. 

5 minutes ago, Kibs said:

That maybe true of his time trying to keep them in the Premiership but they were certainly a good attacking side the year they went up.

They were a mixed attacking side- a mixed style.

They averaged 13.24 shots per game and of these, about 4.37 shots on target per game.

Decent but not incredible. Certainly more at home though!

FootCharts could be wrong of course though...but if right it's less than we averaged last season!

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They were a mixed attacking side- a mixed style.

They averaged 13.24 shots per game and of these, about 4.37 shots on target per game.

Decent but not incredible. Certainly more at home though!

FootCharts could be wrong of course though...but if right it's less than we averaged last season!

Certainly not incredible. I said they were good - and to be fair, I would take “decent” over what we have produced this season!!!

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

All jokes aside it’s high time we stopped thinking of ourselves as the little old Bristol City we were ten years ago  

We have top class facilities, a generous and sometimes unfathomably patient owner and a talented squad. 

Everything at this club is ready for a serious promotion challenge, not just as some plucky outsider but as a genuine force under the right management. 

IMO and not being biased, if it were available, this would be one of the most attractive vacancies outside of the premier league. 

All good points, but begging one massive question...why then hasn't our 'unfathomably patient' owner lost patience and gone out and found a manager to match the facilities, squad and all the talk of a serious promotion challenge?

I think the answer lies in the comfort that comes with the 'plucky outsider' mindset. 

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

I don't believe LJ will be sacked this season, but admit he is walking the tight rope now, so for me it would be former Fulham boss Jokanovic.

A tight rope? You've  changed your tune quite quickly? 

Just before Luton you were saying how he was in credit and deserves all the support in the world for what hes done for us. Changed your mind after 1 win and 1 loss??

My dear fellow City-mad football die-hards I wish you a Happy New Year.

The skeins fell from my eyes some years ago.

I'm sorry to have to say that unless our beloved Feuhrer (SL, otherwise known as our dictator in charge  of his plaything football Club) has had an Epiphany or other violent religious experience over Christmas and at the Brentford game, nothing will change.

Even if he appoints another manager this season it will be a non-threatening Yes Man, rather than someone who has the balls and experience to have already done what he says he wants (ie. taken a Championship Club into the Prem)

I'm cursed, you're cursed, we're all cursed following BCFC. It's a matter of how we deal with the pain 

urggh urggh urggh.jpg

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Just imagine a Cotts/Warnock combination - that would sort out our soft underbelly out once and for all!

Yeah...you still didn’t really give a suggestion unless you’re advocating human cloning and what half of Warnock would we have! *shudder*

Barring an Act of God at Failand our next manager will require two distinct skill sets. Forget the one everybody focusses on of being able to identify and acquire talent. For the next year or so they'll have to work the miracle of rejuvenating those with talent in our squad whilst making a silk purse from the many sow's ears we've accumulated.

The problem with rubbish is nobody wants it except, it might appear, us.

Archived