IGNORED

Next manager?

Tim Bartlett

According to the "yet another" bland and insipid  piece by Gregor McGregor in the Bristol Post, LJ states..............."I think we are in a good place (?), we have a strong squad, good players, and we have found the formula  (?)"  Also "I actually feel really positive about a lot of what I saw today"   The bracketed question marks are mine.   Thanks for those insights.  If I was Mcgregor, I would certainly have asked .......What is the formula Lee?  But that would be too controversial!

I'd be happy with Colin til the end of the season. He's proven at this level and I think he'd have a lot of respect from the dressing room. Some fans don't like him but his abrasive style is bound to miff a lot of people and he'd be fighting for us not against us. 

No to John Terry. Tony Adams2 in the making. I think he lacks the intelligence to be a manager. 

Long term I'd want somebody who has done their apprenticeship at lower levels and has had some success. Nathan Jones struggled with a squad full of Premier league strong characters but I think he will succeed somewhere else where he can build. 

Pardew would have to be on my shortlist too

2 hours ago, Fatknacker said:

As a resident of Sussex and consequently with many friends supporting Brighton, I think I can say with a fair degree of confidence that none of them would have him back as a gift. His style of play cautious and not entertaining...nice man but that’s where it ends.

Can't remember if it was the season they went up, or may have been the season before, Brighton ripped us apart on a Tuesday night at the gate, 0-4

One of the best displays I've seen in 30+ years on being a City fan. I remember thinking I'd have CH in a heartbeat if and when the opportunity arose. Was surprised to read how the fans turned on him so quick once they'd gone up. Did the cautious style of play only come in once they were in the PL? If so, I can understand that! Get up, stay up and build from there

7 minutes ago, 'Orns said:

Can't remember if it was the season they went up, or may have been the season before, Brighton ripped us apart on a Tuesday night at the gate, 0-4

One of the best displays I've seen in 30+ years on being a City fan. I remember thinking I'd have CH in a heartbeat if and when the opportunity arose. Was surprised to read how the fans turned on him so quick once they'd gone up. Did the cautious style of play only come in once they were in the PL? If so, I can understand that! Get up, stay up and build from there

Stats can mask a true picture. Teams who are very clinical might look or seem better than they are, in terms of underlying performances.

4-0 it was but might be interested to know that they actually had less possession that evening and only 4 shots on target. I know, I checked!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35584346

In fact it was 3 shots on target...we scored an OG and missed a penalty, very late consolation though it would've been! They were very good but clinical sides can mask a true performance level or style of play.

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

All good points, but begging one massive question...why then hasn't our 'unfathomably patient' owner lost patience and gone out and found a manager to match the facilities, squad and all the talk of a serious promotion challenge?

I think the answer lies in the comfort that comes with the 'plucky outsider' mindset. 

I think it’s a bit of not wanting to run before we can walk, which was probably appropriate say 3/4 years ago. And mixed in with some stubbornness in wanting to be able to say he was right all along. 

And of course it can’t be argued that we haven’t improved year on year under LJs stewardship, that’s written in the history books as fact. 

But we now find ourselves at a crossroads. Does he really have the ambition to do what it takes to push this club to the next level? 

Don’t want him sacked. Only the unrealistic managers would I replace him with. Ones that play entertaining football, Dean Smith if he got sacked, Moyes I thought may have been realistic pre-west ham.  

Wait to see how the season pans out, even if we finish outside the playoffs I’d let LJ start the season. 

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Chris Hughton has rejected Watford, Stoke and Sheffield Wednesday in recent months just so everyone knows....

Well our recent form is worse that theirs so why on earth would he come to the gate . Don’t mention Stoke as they will finish higher than us if we keep continuing the way we are 

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Ah yes, a manager who would rather have empty space on the bench than play academy players 

Who stubbornly refused to change a formation that wasn’t working

Who tried to bring in unrealistic targets instead of build a sustainable squad

Its time we looked forward for a new manager, not back

Ah, the bench issue. Well may be, just may be, that was a message to the Academy Players and Coaches is that he wanted ‘winners’ and ‘fighters’ not people with a sense of entitlement. A place on the bench was something you worked for rather than be gifted.  May be he had identified we were ‘soft’? 

A case of which do you prefer, a current manager who constantly shuffles the pack, seemingly bemuses players by constant tactic changes to a degree they look embarrassingly useless and clueless?

Unrealistic targets? I thought the rumour was that we had secured Macguire, only for some chap of ours to go off and try and renegotiate the deal while Cotts was on holiday. Maybe wrong though.

Anyhows, was half-joking with the suggestions but sad that 4 years on are needing people of that sort of ilk to sort the Club out. And before the word ‘progress’ enters the debate 10 years on we’re one place higher. Painfully slow progress on the pitch -and I still can’t buy a beanie from the Club shop at Xmas a decade on either ? 

It’s almost amusing. Almost. 

30 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I think it’s a bit of not wanting to run before we can walk, which was probably appropriate say 3/4 years ago. And mixed in with some stubbornness in wanting to be able to say he was right all along. 

And of course it can’t be argued that we haven’t improved year on year under LJs stewardship, that’s written in the history books as fact. 

But we now find ourselves at a crossroads. Does he really have the ambition to do what it takes to push this club to the next level? 

Well, I've long doubted that Steve Lansdown does have that ambition...in any more than a "wouldn't it be nice if it happened" kind of way. I don't believe he is a die-hard football supporter, the football club has fulfilled a different role in his life, given him profile and the sort of adulation anyone would appreciate, and gives his son a meaningful role. I don't criticise him for that, and have found him perfectly pleasant when I've met him. He's unquestionably left a legacy of infrastructure but on the pitch we've undeniably struggled to progress under his tenure, for all his investment.

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Well, I've long doubted that Steve Lansdown does have that ambition...in any more than a "wouldn't it be nice if it happened" kind of way. I don't believe he is a die-hard football supporter, the football club has fulfilled a different role in his life, given him profile and the sort of adulation anyone would appreciate, and gives his son a meaningful role. I don't criticise him for that, and have found him perfectly pleasant when I've met him. He's unquestionably left a legacy of infrastructure but on the pitch we've undeniably struggled to progress under his tenure, for all his investment.

I guess we’ll soon find out either way. If LJ is still at the helm on the 1st August then it’ll be very telling just how much he wants it. 

I think we should probably look overseas. The director of football and head coach role is fairly new in this country. 

Also I am sure lots of promising young managers are more than willing to come to a championship club.

I think we have the structure of the club right we just need a coach who can really improve young players and someone who is tactically sound.

I think LJ has done ok but I don’t think he’s quite good enough to take us to the next level.

31 minutes ago, City oz said:

Well our recent form is worse that theirs so why on earth would he come to the gate . Don’t mention Stoke as they will finish higher than us if we keep continuing the way we are 

Come off it, do you really think recent form impacts a manager’s decision? Unless it’s the end of the season and they’re likely to inherit a relegated side it’s largely irrelevant.  

If recent form were good then clubs wouldn’t be looking for a manager in the first place!

Someone like Hughton would look at a multitude of factors in deciding whether a role is right for him. Vision of the owner, financial situation, squad that’s being inherited, facilities, philosophies that he’s expected to work to etc.

High time we stopped putting ourselves down as a club. If and when this job becomes vacant it’s got to be one of the most attractive in the EFL, in a world of batshit crazy trigger happy owners and FFP breaches left right and centre.

Everything is in place for a talented manager to achieve something that we haven’t seen in more than 40 years.

3 hours ago, RedRock said:

A manager who can build a TEAM, small squad - quality not quantity, players with mental and physical strength, a consistent game plan and identity, someone who can spot talent, who has won trophies and promotion, plays fast, entertaining attacking football......

Come back Cotts, all is forgiven.

Just imagine a Cotts/Warnock combination - that would sort out our soft underbelly out once and for all!

Cotts was not a yes man. That's the problem

2 hours ago, Red Exile said:

All good points, but begging one massive question...why then hasn't our 'unfathomably patient' owner lost patience and gone out and found a manager to match the facilities, squad and all the talk of a serious promotion challenge?

I think the answer lies in the comfort that comes with the 'plucky outsider' mindset. 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I've come to the conclusion Lansdown will only abandon his "LJ project" when there's evidence of demonstrable regression, i.e.:

- finishing the season in a lower position than the last one, but more crucially 

- declining season ticket sales and average attendances (which hits the owner where it hurts - in his pocket, if a billionaire can ever be hurt this way!!)

Until then, we flatter to deceive.   

Hughton won't be available right now- if he's turned down Sheffield Wednesday, Stoke and Watford this season as someone said on here, why would be come to us right now?

https://www.90min.com/posts/6511348-chris-hughton-turns-down-watford-move-as-middlesbrough-consider-approach

If this is true and it was from December, he turned down Watford!! PL, finished 7th or 8th last year didn't they? Top 10 or 11 anyway, FA Cup final. Difficult season this time around, granted.

Do people think it's realistic really, that he comes here this season?

4 hours ago, boatman said:

I think it has to be somebody who wi work within the current structure and buy into the current ‘way of doing things’ I think that is going to rule a lot of managers out.

i hate to say it but I think Jamie Mcallister would be the most likely.

Yep.

Anyone with the right DNA - in other words a yes man.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hughton won't be available right now- if he's turned down Sheffield Wednesday, Stoke and Watford this season as someone said on here, why would be come to us right now?

https://www.90min.com/posts/6511348-chris-hughton-turns-down-watford-move-as-middlesbrough-consider-approach

If this is true and it was from December, he turned down Watford!! PL, finished 7th or 8th last year didn't they? Top 10 or 11 anyway, FA Cup final. Difficult season this time around, granted.

Do people think it's realistic really, that he comes here this season?

Who knows what’s important to him?

Stability and a chance to grow a club long term might be far more appealing to him than a trigger happy club on their fifth manager in three years, staring down the barrel of relegation. 

2 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

I would love to see david wagner took over at huddersfield when they were relegation fodder spent next to nothing and had them playing exciting fast flowing free scoring football all the way to the prem

You mean the man in charge of Schalke?

4 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I don't believe LJ will be sacked this season, but admit he is walking the tight rope now, so for me it would be former Fulham boss Jokanovic.

I agree, that would be an amazing appointment for us - but he’s managing in Qatar and I’d imagine he’s being paid very well for that. 

Archived