Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Tim Bartlett

Next manager?

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

To appease some people on here, all we need is someone who’s Dad was never involved with BCFC, but had an array of domestic titles. 
Someone who has never been sacked, rarely lost a game during their early years in management - but who won’t ever lose another one. 
Someone who will reveal the deepest club plans & secrets when asked at pre, or post, match interviews. 
They are probably best off being a minimum of 5ft 11” with a satisfactory BMI and preferably maintain a modern, yet unremarkable dress sense. 

They need to have no desire or ambition to manage any other club and have only been racking up numerous previous titles, records & trophies in order to eventually get the managers position st BCFC. 
Someone like Pep Guardiola, but NOT him, because he’s shit now. 

Spot on. 

• Thanks 1

Hughton would be my choice, but the reality is - given a string of previous appointments - we’d end up with someone like McAllister or Holden.

SL thinks we’re some sort of mini Barcelona and we should promote from within. Luke Williams, the former U23 coach, was thought to be heir apparent to LJ before he went to MK Dons. 

I can’t see LJ going anytime soon, and there’s no guarantee his successor would be an improvement in terms of experience or pedigree. 

• Thanks 1

Hughton is the obvious name out there but the big question is whether he'd be at all interested.

I've always been impressed with Tony Mowbray - seems to quietly go about his business and build decent footballing teams. Could he be tempted away from Blackburn ?

Nathan Jones ? I know he didn't cut it at Stoke but then Stoke have been a bit of a basket case club for a couple of years.

Other than that who else is there assuming we don't want to take a massive gamble on an up and coming manager from the lower divisions ?

As a resident of Sussex and consequently with many friends supporting Brighton, I think I can say with a fair degree of confidence that none of them would have him back as a gift. His style of play cautious and not entertaining...nice man but that’s where it ends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim Bartlett said:

Not a massive fan of LJ but I can’t think of an obvious successor if he goes. Any thoughts?

(Please don’t mention Warnock of Holloway)

I think it has to be somebody who wi work within the current structure and buy into the current ‘way of doing things’ I think that is going to rule a lot of managers out.

i hate to say it but I think Jamie Mcallister would be the most likely.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

chris Hughton or maybe john Terry 

So you want someone with experience and you suggest John Terry.....pmsl 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

If we get rid I only want to see us get a manager who can play attacking football. Out of people who’s available I would go Karanka

One of these things is not like the other.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

If we get rid I only want to see us get a manager who can play attacking football. Out of people who’s available I would go Karanka

Karanka doesn’t play attacking football.  Ask any Boro fan. 

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Karanka doesn’t play attacking football.  Ask any Boro fan. 

Certainly did at Forest when he was there, Boro can’t actually remember their football too much but he got results there and if you ask any Boro fan most of them would want him back.

3 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Certainly did at Forest when he was there, Boro can’t actually remember their football too much but he got results there and if you ask any Boro fan most of them would want him back.

So you want someone who can play attacking football one minute but then care more about the results the next?  Got another poster wanting experience and also John Terry.  Seems to be some confusion!

1 minute ago, EmissionImpossible said:

There’s bound to be a good suggestion soon.......

The only one people have is Hughton. If he doesn’t want it then looks like we are stumped!  Maybe 2 points of play offs doesn’t look so bad !

8 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11727/11604615/nottingham-forest-fan-view-aitor-karankas-style-was-dull-but-another-change-is-frustrating

didn’t at forest either 

20 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Not sure we're ready for a Bond Villain in the Ashton Gate hot seat just yet...

latest?cb=20160904163912

• Haha 2

Chris Hughton has rejected Watford, Stoke and Sheffield Wednesday in recent months just so everyone knows....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tim Bartlett said:

Not a massive fan of LJ but I can’t think of an obvious successor if he goes. Any thoughts?

Is there a vacancy at AG?

• Aubergine 2

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

The only one people have is Hughton. If he doesn’t want it then looks like we are stumped!  Maybe 2 points of play offs doesn’t look so bad !

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11727/11604615/nottingham-forest-fan-view-aitor-karankas-style-was-dull-but-another-change-is-frustrating

didn’t at forest either 

Hughton always seems a decent guy and probably quite a decent manager but I would have thought he would be aiming a bit better than us as I believe he has been asked by others quite recently. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

He's been knighted … New Years Honours … 

'Lord Warnock of Holloway' is correct doncha know?

I thought Warnock lived in Holloway

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Is there a vacancy at AG?

There isn't...and even if there was its not going to be filled by guesswork on OTIB...enjoyable though it might be the morning after a heavy defeat.

However, the appointment of a new manager, which will inevitably happen sooner or later, will be the ultimate test of the 'head coach' system and of Mark Ashton's authority and competence. I'd be very surprised if there weren't contingency plans in place, given how much rides on the decision.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

No but there was a IF in the OP’s comments. 

So more wild speculation then..............:disapointed2se:

40 minutes ago, Fatknacker said:

As a resident of Sussex and consequently with many friends supporting Brighton, I think I can say with a fair degree of confidence that none of them would have him back as a gift. His style of play cautious and not entertaining...nice man but that’s where it ends.

Same over here

I don't believe LJ will be sacked this season, but admit he is walking the tight rope now, so for me it would be former Fulham boss Jokanovic.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, tin said:

SL thinks we’re some sort of mini Barcelona and we should promote from within. Luke Williams, the former U23 coach, was thought to be heir apparent to LJ before he went to MK Dons. 

Sport type franchise, not 'like' Barcelona FC.

And no, LW was not lined up as a potential successor. 

Edited by Pickle Rick

4 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I don't believe LJ will be sacked this season, but admit he is walking the tight rope now, so for me it would be former Fulham boss Jokanovic.

He has a high paying job in the middle east I believe. Talk of costs he would be one of the most expensive imo

Also someone mentioned John Terry and I do not think that would be terrible. You know respect wouldn’t be a problem then anyway. Whether he is ready you never know until they get a job. 

As for Karanka, I don’t think I’d mind dull football. We don’t get much entertainment as it is but more than that I’d like a style. This is probably contradicting myself a bit but I have thought this over the last couple weeks. If we actually had an identity and just weren’t good enough I think could accept this. LJ, the assistants, the players and us do not know our best XI or formation. So I am not sure anyone knows if we are underachieving or not. This is part of the problem. So with a Karanka I think we would figure out where we stood in the division at least

Edited by JoeAman08
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

He has a high paying job in the middle east I believe. Talk of costs he would be one of the most expensive imo

Must admit, had no idea what he was doing at the moment - rolling in money by the sound of it.

31 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

There’s bound to be a good suggestion soon.......

A manager who can build a TEAM, small squad - quality not quantity, players with mental and physical strength, a consistent game plan and identity, someone who can spot talent, who has won trophies and promotion, plays fast, entertaining attacking football......

Come back Cotts, all is forgiven.

Just imagine a Cotts/Warnock combination - that would sort out our soft underbelly out once and for all!

Edited by RedRock
  • Hmmm 1

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So more wild speculation then..............:disapointed2se:

Wild speculation may well catch on down the Gate if things dont improve soon...

Fans cant bare to watch.

a98164_glasses_5-peek-a-boo.jpg

Edited by WhistleHappy

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Also someone mentioned John Terry and I do not think that would be terrible. You know respect wouldn’t be a problem then anyway. Whether he is ready you never know until they get a job. 

As for Karanka, I don’t think I’d mind dull football. We don’t get much entertainment as it is but more than that I’d like a style. This is probably contradicting myself a bit but I have thought this over the last couple weeks. If we actually had an identity and just weren’t good enough I think could accept this. LJ, the assistants, the players and us do not know our best XI or formation. So I am not sure anyone knows if we are underachieving or not. This is part of the problem. So with a Karanka I think we would figure out where we stood in the division at least

I would be fine with Terry getting a chance if the club thought he fit the bill but I must admit it would stick in my throat a bit if the people on here who feel Lee Johnson’s Problem is that he lacks Championship experience suddenly decided they were fine with someone who has never managed before just because he is a big name. To be clear, I don’t personally think “experience” is any means the guarantee of success some people think but I think people should be consistent in their arguments.

Whilst I would support whoever got appointed, I must admit I would be very underwhelmed with Karanka. This is Not because of the dull football but because it took him a while and a struggle to get a heavily resourced Boro side promoted and then underachieved with a big spending Nottingham Forest. I think his reputation and links with Mourinho masks the fact his record is not as successful as it might be.

Think its unlikely LJ will leave anytime soon, but the fans are getting impatient. All this talk of Identity is really starting to grate on me - its more like an identity crisis !! The excuse used to be that we are a young team who are still learning, yet now we have some experienced professionals in our team and squad. I think there is enough talent in the squad to more than hold our own in this league, im just not sure LJ is the man to get the best out of them. The Championship is notoriously competitive, but this season has seen some awful inconsistency and we have missed an opportunity to push on.

If he does go id love to see Chris Coleman come in. He has made a couple of poor decisions going to Sunderland and Hebei China Fortune, possibly swayed by money. But I like him as a guy, and I think his best years are ahead of him as a manager. Im sure he would shake up the dressing room and get the best out of the squad.

6 minutes ago, RedRock said:

A manager who can build a TEAM, small squad - quality not quantity, players with mental and physical strength, a consistent game plan and identity, someone who can spot talent, who has won trophies and promotion, plays fast, entertaining attacking football......

Come back Cotts, all is forgiven.

Ah yes, a manager who would rather have empty space on the bench than play academy players 

Who stubbornly refused to change a formation that wasn’t working

Who tried to bring in unrealistic targets instead of build a sustainable squad

Its time we looked forward for a new manager, not back

• Like 2
  • Aubergine 1

22 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I would be fine with Terry getting a chance if the club thought he fit the bill but I must admit it would stick in my throat a bit if the people on here who feel Lee Johnson’s Problem is that he lacks Championship experience suddenly decided they were fine with someone who has never managed before just because he is a big name. To be clear, I don’t personally think “experience” is any means the guarantee of success some people think but I think people should be consistent in their arguments.

Whilst I would support whoever got appointed, I must admit I would be very underwhelmed with Karanka. This is Not because of the dull football but because it took him a while and a struggle to get a heavily resourced Boro side promoted and then underachieved with a big spending Nottingham Forest. I think his reputation and links with Mourinho masks the fact his record is not as successful as it might be.

Yea I would be underwhelmed with Karanka and the same with Warnock at that. Just wanted to make the point that we probably find out how good(Or bad) we actually are in the league. It is possible LJ is getting the most out of this squad. I don’t believe that but not sure you can say it for sure either way because we play so many different ways(which I think is the main problem). 

56 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Chris Hughton has rejected Watford, Stoke and Sheffield Wednesday in recent months just so everyone knows....

Apparently he is desperate to take over in BS3 though. 🤣

More realistic would be someone like Tim Sherwood.

Though if Bournemouth pull the trigger I wonder whether Howe could be tempted. We know SL occasionally likes to make a statement of intent.

Edited by Hare Island

55 minutes ago, RedDave said:

That’s because he’s had a nudge nudge wink wink from a certain person about a soon to become vacancy at a certain south Bristol club. Say no more squire, say no more!

1 hour ago, Fatknacker said:

That maybe true of his time trying to keep them in the Premiership but they were certainly a good attacking side the year they went up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Apparently he is desperate to take over in BS3 though. 🤣

More realistic would be someone like Tim Sherwood.

Though if Bournemouth pull the trigger I wonder whether Howe could be tempted. We know SL occasionally likes to make a statement of intent.

Howe would easily get a premier league job

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

That’s because he’s had a nudge nudge wink wink from a certain person about a soon to become vacancy at a certain south Bristol club. Say no more squire, say no more!

All jokes aside it’s high time we stopped thinking of ourselves as the little old Bristol City we were ten years ago  

We have top class facilities, a generous and sometimes unfathomably patient owner and a talented squad. 

Everything at this club is ready for a serious promotion challenge, not just as some plucky outsider but as a genuine force under the right management. 

IMO and not being biased, if it were available, this would be one of the most attractive vacancies outside of the premier league. 

Edited by BRISTOL86