IGNORED

Team for Shrewsbury

ExiledAjax

Moving on from yesterday's result, I thought I'd take a look at how Johnson has lined us up in previous FA Cup 3rd round ties.

During his tenure at City Johnson has overseen three 3rd round FA Cup ties which have produced four matches as Fleetwood went to a replay. Historically he puts out relatively strong teams, although there is a story to be found around each game.

Looking at the starting line-ups below there's generally two or three fringe players involved. Like many managers he uses the game to rest players that get a lot of league time (note that Pack never started a 3rd round game for Johnson). He's also used it to give debuts to early January signings such as Wright, Hegeler and Djuric, and academy players like Lemonheigh-Evans and Edwards.

(the below is based on the reports on the OS. Players in bold = competitive debut for City, Players in italics = first start of that season)

2018/19 v Huddersfield (Home, Prem)

A series of solid draws and good away wins through the festive period saw us go into last year's 3rd round sitting 11th in the league. We'd just beaten Stoke 2-0 away in what would become the second win of 9 league wins in a row. Johnson made 5 changes as he handed Wright and Morrell their first starts of the season and rested Kalas, Kelly, Pack, Weimann and Paterson.

Starting XI - Mäenpää, Wright, Dasilva, Hunt, Webster, Morrell, Eliasson, Paterson, O'Dowda, Brownhill, Diedhiou

2017/18 v Watford (Away, Prem) 

The notable exception to the "strong line-up" pattern is Watford away two years ago. The game was 3 days before the first of the Man City League Cup semi-final matches. We'd excelled through the autumn of 2017 only to be absolutely flogged as we ran out of steam in December. Ashton Gate had been euphoric when beating Man Utd 2-1 on 20 December 2017, only to then lose to "title rivals" Wolves in a heart-breaking 2-1 loss at the end of the month. Villa mauled us 5-0 on New Year's Day and with a trip to the Etihad on the horizon Johnson wrote the FA Cup game off and sent most of the first team on holiday. He handed two debuts to academy graduates. I went to that Watford game. It was pointless.

Starting XI - Steele, Magnússon, Kelly, Flint, Vyner, Eliasson, Edwards, K. Smith, Lemonheigh-Evans, Taylor, Woodrow

2016/17 v Fleetwood (Home L1), and (Replay) (Away, L1)

When we came up against Fleetwood in 2017 we were struggling - this game came off the back of a desperate run of six losses in the league (plus just one win from the six prior to that). Those six would eventually be extended to a club record eight consecutive league losses. This possibly explains the stronger than average line ups. Johnson, and the club (and the fans) were simply desperate for good news. The long-awaited W finally came in the replay and later that month there was more  "good" news as Taylor signed for us.

Starting XI (Replay) - Fielding, Magnússon, Flint, Wright, Little, O'Neil, Hegeler, Bryan, Djuric, Paterson, Engvall.

Starting XI (Home) - Fielding, Hegeler, Flint, Wright, Little, Brownhill, K. Smith, Bryan, Djuric, Tomlin, Abraham.

The history of Johnson's line-up in the FA Cup 3rd round show us that it generally depends on how the previous half dozen fixtures went. This season that record is LLLLWL. It’s odd as in terms of league position we are close to where we were last season, but the form is nearer that of 2016/17. It’s hard to call but I think that having endured a poor run during December Johnson will see this game as an opportunity to notch a morale-boosting win and to build on whatever morale remains from the win against Luton. We’ll also possibly see Paterson play, along with any very early signings...maybe a new striker? Bentley needs a break. His form has dipped as his save % for the season has dropped down towards the mid 60's from a high of nearly 70. Mäenpää should have more than enough for this game. It’s also possible that someone like Towler or Soady may get a place on the bench to reward their efforts in the U23s. Given that scenario expect a side closer to full strength and an inevitable replay at the Shrews.

I'm not saying this is the team I want to see, but I expect something like: Mäenpää, Dasilva, Moore, Kalas, Pereira, Massengo, Brownhill, Watkins, Paterson, Diedhiou, Weimann.

The rest of the first team on the bench.

Not sure what the team will or should be but Bentley , Brownhill and Weimann should be rested. Start Smith and/or Massengo/Nagy in CM and make Smith captain - the only real leader we have that is remotely close to the starting 11. Play Palmer to try and install some confidence back in him/ get his mojo back ( if his head is right ) and start Moore alongside Kalas. He will probably start Rowe and Pereira too as Hunt had a shocker against Brentford and Jay has started last 2 after a long term injury.

Think they play 3 CB with wingbacks. I’d just match them and say ok we are better than you. 

Maenpaa

Periera Moore Kalas Baker Rowe

Massengo Smith

Palmer

Szmodics Semenyo

I don’t think he will do this because he has lost 5 in 6 but I’d be happy sharing out some minutes and resting key players. Even if they end up on loan I’d give hames to Szmodics and Semenyo

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think they play 3 CB with wingbacks. I’d just match them and say ok we are better than you. 

Maenpaa

Massengo Smith

Palmer

Szmodics Semenyo

I don’t think he will do this because he has lost 5 in 6 but I’d be happy sharing out some minutes and resting key players. Even if they end up on loan I’d give hames to Szmodics and Semenyo

Not bad but think he may start Rodri 

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Maenpaa

Massengo Smith

Palmer

Szmodics Semenyo

I like it but just can't see him starting Semenyo and Szmodics as the top two. I think his history suggests that he'll look to field a strong team in order to get the win and then hopefully run that into a string of (on paper) easier league matches.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

I like it but just can't see him starting Semenyo and Szmodics as the top two. I think his history suggests that he'll look to field a strong team in order to get the win and then hopefully run that into a string of (on paper) easier league matches.

Out injured anyway, or so they say.

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Maenpaa

Massengo Smith

Palmer

Szmodics Semenyo

Szmodics is injured.

Good opportunity to give Semenyo a start tho. 

Something like -

Maenpaa,

Dasilva, Kalas, Moore, Pereira

Eliasson, Palmer, Massengo Smith

Famara, Semenyo 

19 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Makes sense to probably. We may not get any targets we have and he has been here a few months now so should know to an extent how we operate. People think he will be gone come February and I think likely as well but maybe not as guaranteed as we think. 

14 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I agree. Just what I would do. LJ does have a track record of playing a strong cup team if form isn’t great IIRC. Don’t disagree with that either but there are a fair few who need minutes too. 

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Szmodics is injured.

Good opportunity to give Semenyo a start tho. 

Something like -

Maenpaa,

Dasilva, Kalas, Moore, Pereira

Eliasson, Palmer, Massengo Smith

Famara, Semenyo 

Did not know about Szmodics. Assuming Palmer wide in that? Not sure that would suit him especially as he is lacking confidence as it is. Maybe rest Famara and just have palmer in front of Semenyo. O’Dowda(probably needs a game but don’t really rate him) could play either wing in place of Fam. 

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

Mäenpää

Pereira Kalas New signing Dasilva

Nagy

Massengo

Elliason Palmer Paterson

New Striker!

That's what I want.

This bloke?  (not the one on the right)

image.jpeg.3132539fadb4bae3a14cc6c2b29734da.jpeg

25 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Interestingly Rodri's stats show that he's a pretty positive influence. He's behind only Hunt and Eliasson in "Key Passes"* and behind those two and Brownhill in expected assists. He's well ahead of Weimann and Diedhiou in both these metrics. Yes he's not scored yet but he doesn't weigh us down when he plays.

*I'm never quite sure what a "Key Pass" exactly is, I assume it's something like the pass before an assist?

11 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Makes sense to probably. We may not get any targets we have and he has been here a few months now so should know to an extent how we operate. People think he will be gone come February and I think likely as well but maybe not as guaranteed as we think. 

I agree. Just what I would do. LJ does have a track record of playing a strong cup team if form isn’t great IIRC. Don’t disagree with that either but there are a fair few who need minutes too. 

Did not know about Szmodics. Assuming Palmer wide in that? Not sure that would suit him especially as he is lacking confidence as it is. Maybe rest Famara and just have palmer in front of Semenyo. O’Dowda(probably needs a game but don’t really rate him) could play either wing in place of Fam. 

Pereira is very capable of bombing up the right. 

Three across midfield is a real possibility. Can’t imagine the Shrews will be expecting that.

1 minute ago, RedEyez said:

4 central midfielders , a winger and an attacking midfielder. No striker.

Ok.

Might be able to retain the ball with that team, and lots of teams play without a recognised No.9 . 

Pay me enough money to manage that team and I’d guarantee promotion this season. 

Im assuming Brownhill is leaving , but his ball retention has been dire lately as has Hunts. 

Archived