IGNORED

Tonight's matches

Kodjias Wrist

• Admin

Interesting comment from Michael Owen that he played with world class players, who wouldn’t be in todays game - not hard enough workers.  

I must admit, my lifelong antipathy towards Liverpool has mellowed, Klopp has done something pretty special there and they are a joy to watch.

Wilder. Class.

Says it as it is. Rips into Academy coaches ranting on about technique. Physicality, mental strength, desire and endeavour...sees The Scousers as the best proponents of that game. Very complimentary in defeat.

Music to my ears. 

What a contrast to us.

It’s a simple f...ing game. Win the ball go forward, lose the ball get back and win it.

4 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Wilder. Class.

Says it as it is. Rips into Academy coaches ranting on about technique. Physicality, mental strength, desire and endeavour...sees The Scousers as the best proponents of that game. Very complimentary in defeat.

Music to my ears. 

What a contrast to us.

It’s a simple f...ing game. Win the ball go forward, lose the ball get back and win it.

He came across well. Liverpool are technically superb though as individuals and groups as well as working hard. 

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Watching Sheffield Utd with lower league players from Oxford, Notts County and the likes giving the current World Club Champions a decent run for their money.

Where have we gone wrong. Deary me.

Really difficult not to blame the person who buys the players, picks, the team and coaches them I would say.

35 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Wilder. Class.

Music to my ears. 

What a contrast to us.

What like Brentford did on Wednesday? 

Definitely need that pressing off the ball though, going to listen to his  comments again. 

Game has changed though, could you define what you mean by physicality in 2020?

Pressing and energy, tempo I absolutely agree with you on. However Sheffield United certainly aren't a side without technique too.

• Admin

Brief, but interesting discussion about players not playing for a Manager, Rio Ferdinand reckons they will all still be wanting to play well and win, but when they don’t like the boss and don’t believe his philosophy then they aren’t going to be at their best.  Owen making the point that footballers aren’t from Mars, they need managing and have all the same issues as managing any staff.  
I do wonder if LJ has ‘lost the dressing room’ not necessarily in a huge fall out way, but lost them as in bemused them, the players don’t seem to be playing with the organisation of a tight knit group, who are well schooled and know their roles.

33 minutes ago, Chappers said:

So in the Championship, the gap between 2nd and 3rd place is greater than the gap between 6th and 17th.

Pointless stat of the day

In the prem the gap between 1st and 4th is the same as 4th and 20th

Brentford thrashed us yesterday though the early red card certainly played it's part. 

Was their midfield all that what you describe? 

It's also worth noting Liverpool have technique in abundance too. Or technical proficiency at minimum...bkrh are important. 

Saw a link to an article @RedRock tactically speaking etc, it was written By Michael Cox and the premise was and I'll see if I can find a link, but the premise was that Liverpool a hybrid or have elements under Kopp of peak Barcelona and his Borussia Dortmund side and combine the two..

I do see it personally.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1494899/2019/12/31/michael-coxs-iconic-teams-of-the-decade-liverpool-are-a-combination-of-klopps-dortmund-and-guardiolas-barca/

Don’t disagree that technique is an important attribute. 

I think Wilder was commenting on Academies over emphasis on technique and neglecting the mental and physical side which, to him is as important, if not more so. 

10 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Brief, but interesting discussion about players not playing for a Manager, Rio Ferdinand reckons they will all still be wanting to play well and win, but when they don’t like the boss and don’t believe his philosophy then they aren’t going to be at their best.  Owen making the point that footballers aren’t from Mars, they need managing and have all the same issues as managing any staff.  
I do wonder if LJ has ‘lost the dressing room’ not necessarily in a huge fall out way, but lost them as in bemused them, the players don’t seem to be playing with the organisation of a tight knit group, who are well schooled and know their roles.

I'm definitely seeing effort from the players. Even v Brentford they were spirited. It's just the errors (and selection, and tactics)...

• Admin
6 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm definitely seeing effort from the players. Even v Brentford they were spirited. It's just the errors (and selection, and tactics)...

From KO to 0-2 down it was pretty shambolic, the next 50 minutes or so was a lot better, could have been more creative, then I guess the 3rd knocked the stuffing out and led to the 4th.  I wasn’t suggesting the players aren’t putting in a shift, just that the combined efforts didn’t add up to the sum of the parts.  

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It’s why I see him having similar problems to his dad. He’s ok with young or inexperienced players as they will tow the line. However experienced players like Rio Ferdinand said tonight ask questions. Why are we doing this or that. It’s only my opinion but I’m getting the impression this is starting to happen with LJ . He or his dad can’t manage ego’s it seems . 

Archived