IGNORED

Post story - LJ and Palmer conflict means Nketiah could go elsewhere

Major Isewater

7 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Do we have any reason to assume it isn't? Big risk for him to take if it's not. But as I said in reply to Robbored he's tweeted to say that he's confident in it. 

No not at all, like I said he must be fairly confident to publish or he’d pretty much wreck his relationship with the club 

That anyone could be surprised at the inability of LJ to manage players is the greatest shock. The list of disgruntled players is long and has been going on since he arrived . Currently it is huge problem, and there are many issues behind the scenes. His treatment of certain players has , again, caused unrest. He has very limited credibility with the current squad.  Expect more chaos as he unloads players and asks to sign even more. 

Even SL must be starting to question the direction. He is loyal, and supportive, but far far from stupid. We have to trust SL.

Maybe if a suitable replacement could be identified, that has a higher level experience and a clear footballing vision, it would be an easier decision to make. 

On a more serious note, whether it’s Palmer or not something isn’t right. We’re over halfway through the season and the coach doesn’t appear to know his best team or formation, and that can’t be right. We know that LJ historically does well with a small squad (or with few players available) and he’s almost forced into a consistent eleven/formation. When he’s got resources, he tinkers and changes, seemingly unnecessarily so and at random and results go downhill.

My guess is that there’s truth in some players being upset. Not necessarily being out of the side (that happens), but in the complete inconsistency of approach on a player by player and team by team basis. Players know who should/shouldn’t be in the side and when the decisions make little sense they’re bound to lose faith.

This tallies with him being a good coach (ie he can drill and improve a small consistent group), but struggling with man management as is the common theory. He’s trying to please everyone (most people) and is pleasing nobody.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

LJ felt when KP was on loan that he could help him develop as a player particularly if he had a full pre season with him. That didn’t happen.

LJ has seen KP close up, knows all about his ability and also his character and 

## I get the impression that it’s KPs character that’s the problem here. ##

Other managers won’t have worked with KP and only see his footballing talents and naturally they’d been keen to sign him.

## Are you suggesting KP might be nuts ? 

KP_NUTS_NUT_OOH_1800x1200-203x300.jpg

IF true, it must be massively concerning to the board that the manager has assembled an expensive squad of players, whom he has fallen out with various members of, which may now adversely affect our ability to sign players to get us out of a slump. All sounds very toxic. 
IF true 

9 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He’s never come across like that at all. Take your LJ blinkers off. He’s got the same trait as his old man , who you didn’t like. He can’t handle egos . 

Have you ever met KP or seen him interviewed?

How can you judge how a player ‘comes across’ If you haven’t........

Plus.....players, like managers have a public persona.

I need to nip down to the shops to buy a post, sounds an interesting read today.

I'm not surprised Palmer's unhappy, that has seemed blatantly obvious for a while.  He lost his mojo after Afobe's injury and must have realised that his game for whatever reason just doesn't gel with the other players.

Add to this the trauma of his best friend losing a child and this must be a terrible time for him.

It seems that Palmer will leave City in the near future and we'll all reminisce for years to come about what could have been - some times these things just don't work out.

Gregor is a sensible journalist, I'm sure his source is credible. 

My question would be the motive of his source. An agent, certainly someone from within the KP 'camp'. Well it's going to be from their side of the story and we all know there are always two sides to every story.

As always, choose how your bread is buttered - KP = mismanaged talent, again another LJ failing? Or..... KP = talented enigma who has an attitude and arrogance that has held him back at numerous clubs under numerous managers?

Either way, a few interesting takes from the article -

1) GmcG, who has always seemed to have a good relationship with LJ is burning bridges with this....why?

2) Discourse, again, between MA/board and LJ on signings....I thought we were passed that? LJ aside, which top manager will be happy about 'having' to play players at the request of the board? Not many.

3) Unrest in the camp, however small - dangerous times for LJ - I think you could add the actions of Ash Williams against Brentford as well as a sign of another frustrated player, perhaps. Or did he just lose his temper.  

4) January window is a key time for the squad - what are the clubs true ambitions and how does that effect their ruthlessness, or not, regarding the manager? We will see.

59 minutes ago, Robson said:

Not true. 
I spoke to someone who works in the media team at city and Palmer has been seriously affected by the death of Afobe's daughter. His head isn't in the right place to play at the moment hence why he's not been in the team. 
A loan elsewhere could do him some good as a fresh start, we will not sell him unless a massive bid comes in for him. 

That makes perfect sense - I can’t understand why GmG hasn’t mentioned that in his article..................:cool2:

Repeating theme every season, man management under LJ extremely suspect, the team look like they can’t be bothered. 
The selection of starters and subs is generally rubbish and we all see it, if we can see it what effect does it have on 28 professionals who actually depend on the actions of their coach for their careers?

I firmly believe that the professionals in the game know full well what the shortcomings of LJ are and that affects our recruitment and makes it easy for other managers to outwit him.

Think this is massive.

Don't doubt GMG. Question is, where’s the source. 

If KP side - then suspect they feel empowered to release the info. as there’s general unrest in the camp (always thought the video of the players taking the piss out of the coaching staff video was a bit odd).

If the Club side that’ll likely be terminal for LJ. Would suspect that SL would back MA in any split given what maybe going on. 

Can’t say  CoD, KP or Pato have particularly impressed me, so, whoever bought these to The Gate needs to be questioning themselves about current on-goings. Maybe explain things about Brownhill’s current ‘form’ given I think he’s mates with a Pato and CoD.

What a shambles.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That makes perfect sense - I can’t understand why GmG hasn’t mentioned that in his article..................:cool2:

He also said he gave Lee Johnson the opportunity to comment/respond. I’m assuming the opportunity was rejected.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Because the article states quite clearly that 'Palmer is fully match fit.'

The anonymous tip off from 'someone who works in the media team' doesn't reflect the opinion of GMG's source - who presumably is close to Palmer himself. And if, as GMG has suggested, the club has been given the opportunity to comment before he's published, it's not a line the club is following either.

The article, which I suggest people read, is focused on the relationship between LJ and KP - which has 'nosedived' - on where this leaves KP, claiming interest from Prem and foreign clubs as well as Swansea, and on the implications for attracting Nketiah, to whom, GMG remarkably claims, City has been sold (in LJ's pitch) on the basis of KP's capacity to provide 'defence-splitting through-passes'...

...it's a great exclusive.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Has anyone actually read the article? https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/exclusive-swansea-city-step-up-3701283

I wonder how many words Gregor actually had to change from the copy he was given by Palmer's agent ??

Complete PR stunt.

I appreciate you may not be able to be too specific, but can you confirm whether there has been a falling out and shed any light on why Palmer might want a move?

Kinnel.... we've got some right bed wetters on here.

Has anyone actually read that article?

Talks about unrest...talks about LJ having problems with Palmer's interests outside football...says Palmer unhappy and there is interest from other Clubs for him, says about friendship with Nketiah and that they will speak about life here...making out it could effect him coming here...with a question mark, then says discussions with him would all be positive. ???

What a pile of crap article...click bait and Agent driven imo.

Ask yourself this...do you seriously think you can play Eliasson and Palmer in the same 11? Seriously... You can't. 

Eliasson is on Fire...Palmer isn't...it's as simple as that. He's had his chances... Eliasson has delivered, Palmer has failed at even the basics. 

Every Club has arguments in the changing room...and unfortunately our losses have been down to so many individual errors. Players either take responsibility, apologise and work harder and take their medicine, or sulk and moan.

I look at Taylor Moore as a great example. 

Palmer has been inconsistent...you can't carry players that don't deliver.

If he was on fire I'd get it. But he's been shoddy of late.

I was under the impression that Kasey loves it here and has put roots and settled down into family life. What has affected him is the  devastating Afobe family loss which has touched the hearts of everyone associated with the club and the wider football family.

The trouble is journalists have to find a story and sadly, it's only bad news that grabs attention nowadays.

I am not one who likes to openly criticise or like seeing the cheap derogatory and frankly insulting comments made by many when things are tough but I will be really disappointed with the management and coaching staff if this "falling out" story has some truth as its the calibre of players like KP45 you pay to see rather than the coach.

51 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

The harsh reality of the situation is that KP simply has not delivered since Afobe got injured. 

Here we go again.

Can people stop stating as "fact" and "reality" that Palmer has done nothing since Afobe got injured. It's an easy line for people with hazy memories but isn't actually true.

He went up to Preston without Afobe and ran midfield, they couldn't get him off the ball, he ran at them repeatedly, 2-3 times about 30 yard upfield runs bundling midfielders off the ball, he crafted a number of chances, we were 3-0 up at half time and if not for the ref he would have been man of the match as he was still picking passes in the second half in front of the away end.

Since then as substitute he also has the vision for a pass no one else in the club could produce to win the game versus Charlton, and came off the bench in Cardiff, had a role in our winner there too, and to my eyes was our best outlet to relieve pressure at 1-0 ahead away from home, he looked very comfortable bringing the ball out, the Cardiff fans found him most irritating.

His first average game this season was away at Brentford - a place we are routinely outplayed - I say average not bad because he had several shots and setup other chances in a team that did nothing for 85 minutes, so hardly the worst player. His first bad game was at Luton away, somewhere literally the entire team didn't turn up, but as playmaker Palmer is easy to pick on.

He's had two starts since then, at home to Wigan, and West Brom away. He didn't get in the game versus Wigan but no one covered themselves in glory, and he was awful for his one half at West Brom but he had literally one player ahead of him, the rest of the team hid in a disorganised rabble of 7 or 8 crowded around our box. Funny how it's only Palmer that "hasn't delivered". 

He's had 20 minutes here and there as sub since then, Wednesday was the worst because he was trying to get on the ball and do something rather than keeping it simple and yes he looked terrible. But in my experience when asked for examples of Palmer being rubbish its West Brom and Wednesday that people cite, which is hardly indicative of his form with a run in the team. 

He's a visionary midfielder not superman. He needs confidence and he's not getting any in and out of the team. Sadly the manager has previous with this. He's happy to talk up players like Watkins or Moore or Eliasson or O'Dowda when they do well, but how often does he bomb these players out for weeks on end as he "doesn't trust them" (translation: they're his scapegoats).

I don't disagree that Palmer has lost his way but I hate the sweeping generalisations that he's a) had a terrible season or b) done nothing since Afobe was injured, as neither is true. Helpfully it looks like Kasey is now posting videos of his best moments on Instagram, which is the least disguised "come and get me" plea I've ever seen and a sad indictment of our man-management.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Kinnel.... we've got some right bed wetters on here.

Has anyone actually read that article?

Talks about unrest...talks about LJ having problems with Palmer's interests outside football...says Palmer unhappy and there is interest from other Clubs for him, says about friendship with Nketiah and that they will speak about life here...making out it could effect him coming here...with a question mark, then says discussions with him would all be positive. ???

What a pile of crap article...click bait and Agent driven imo.

Ask yourself this...do you seriously think you can play Eliasson and Palmer in the same 11? Seriously... You can't. 

Eliasson is on Fire...Palmer isn't...it's as simple as that. He's had his chances... Eliasson has delivered, Palmer has failed at even the basics. 

Every Club has arguments in the changing room...and unfortunately our losses have been down to so many individual errors. Players either take responsibility, apologise and work harder and take their medicine, or sulk and moan.

I look at Taylor Moore as a great example. 

Palmer has been inconsistent...you can't carry players that don't deliver.

If he was on fire I'd get it. But he's been shoddy of late.

ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON!!

Look at Palmer's career in the Championship as well....

Huddersfield = spent more time on the bench than starts, couldn't break into the team

Derby = spent more time on the bench than starts, couldn't break into the team

Blackburn = spent more time on the bench than starts, couldn't break into the team

Bristol City = spent more time on the bench than starts, couldn't break into the team

Why the hell did Ashton sign him after we saw his obvious limitations on loan? Bonkers.

Archived