IGNORED

Post story - LJ and Palmer conflict means Nketiah could go elsewhere

Major Isewater

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I bet, although you remain resolute in not giving away any juicy details! Respect.

But based on the information you've provided - this conversation occurred after GJ was sacked, on a train travelling back from London - I will attempt some amateur sleuthing/wild speculation:

GJ was sacked on 18 March 2010 - we'll assume the conversation occurred between that date and the end of that season.

Let's also assume the train was travelling to Bristol after an away game.

The only away game in that period that would have required a train journey via London was Peterborough. The squad that day was:

Gerken, Carey,  Ribeiro, Fontaine, Orr, Campbell-Ryce, Elliott, Hartley, Skuse, Haynes, Maynard. Subs - Henderson, Sawyer, Johnson, Sno, Clarkson, Sproule, Maierhofer

Some assumptions in there which could be wide of the mark, but I can imagine one or two of the above behaving as you've described.

Hot or cold?

A propos of nothing at all, Tommy Rowe was playing for Peterborough.

haha...top quality sleuthing...all I'll say is that it wasn't Maierhofer!

At the time I felt so embarrassed for the football club that two players should be being so indiscreet...and I still feel embarrassed for them!

43 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Absolutely this.  I manage a team and I'd find it funny if outside of work my mates did it, but, if one of my team that I managed send me something like that when I'd asked them not to, that is pure disrespect.  So I see how Wilbs found it funny, but I can also see how LJ would get pissed. 

It is challenging behaviour to be fair.

If he'd done that privately, then LJ should have sucked it up as a harmless joke, but whilst with other squad members it does undermine the head coach's position of authority.

Hindsight is wonderful,.but it appeared to be piss poor due dilligence by whoever does that sort of thing at the club, checking out the right DNA etc.

1 hour ago, Highguy said:

I disagree with you LJ has threw palmer under the bus on more then 1 time this season already hes one of our most talented players yet cant get in the squad, noone has previously said palmer has bad attidude and hasnt shown any since him time here, LJ has been picking teams with players he trusts as he lost the changing room look at charlton and brentford games you dont perform like that if your behind the gaffer luton we wasnt that good just got made look better by poor luton team alot of stories seem to be of him and players argueing plus hes never been able to handle a big fish in small pond type player, 

Firstly, Palmer is far from a big fish in a small pond! A career so far compiled of numerous loan spells!

Secondly, I never mentioned Palmer’s attitude. I just said we are yet to see a half decent performance from him. His pass vs Charlton at home showed what he can do but one moment is all we have seen of him.

This also isn’t the first time he has found himself in this position. The reason we took him on loan last season was that he found himself frozen out at Blackburn. Guess that was their managers fault as well then? Before Blackburn he only featured occasionally for Huddersfield, 28 games over two seasons. Manager’s fault??

LJ obviously thought he could get the best out of him but he isn’t the first manager to try and fail. That doesn’t mean LJ is in the wrong and doesn’t mean Nketiah wouldn’t join us for this reason! 

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

If it was two from that list I’d be amazed if one of them wasn’t Carey!

Haha! My last word on the subject, and out of fairness as he's got named as the source of another story elsewhere at another time, no, it wasn't Louis Carey.

I wish I'd never started this...?

But that's enough. It was a long time ago.

33 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

If you were paying me very handsomely, certainly more than my colleagues, to be in my best physical condition and I sent you pictures of myself eating cake and essentially sticking two fingers up to you, would you think it's time not to take life too seriously and that it's top bants?

@Harry too:

I'd say it was an example of one of those trivial things that Wilbrahim mentioned.

He sent a picture eating cake, big deal.

Too many people with a sense of humour bypass.

Top managers would probably have a laugh about it with the player, if it was a joke meant in the right spirit.

The important thing is not silly pictures which in reality probably helped to build team spirit among the players, but how the player in question performs when he actually gets on the pitch.

As I said before, Johnson was able to try Tomlin out for 3 months before buying, he should have known exactly what he was getting - however you look at it, if Johnson didn't like the player, he only had himself to blame for buying him.

Same with Palmer. Johnson had him for half a season, on the strength of that buys him for 2 or 3 million and then decides he doesn't fit into the squad never mind the starting 11. Bizarre.

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Firstly, Palmer is far from a big fish in a small pond! A career so far compiled of numerous loan spells!

Secondly, I never mentioned Palmer’s attitude. I just said we are yet to see a half decent performance from him. His pass vs Charlton at home showed what he can do but one moment is all we have seen of him.

This also isn’t the first time he has found himself in this position. The reason we took him on loan last season was that he found himself frozen out at Blackburn. Guess that was their managers fault as well then? Before Blackburn he only featured occasionally for Huddersfield, 28 games over two seasons. Manager’s fault??

LJ obviously thought he could get the best out of him but he isn’t the first manager to try and fail. That doesn’t mean LJ is in the wrong and doesn’t mean Nketiah wouldn’t join us for this reason! 

When your snapped up by chelsea academy and loaned here there and everywhere your big fish in a small pond palmer would walk in to most teams at this level

Did you not see the start of the season? When we play to his strengths hes quality but if you got your play maker picking the ball up on edge your own box your asking trouble 

He was injured at huddersfield thats why didnt play much there if i remember correctly came back in time for end season 

He cant handle creative players because he wasnt creative when he played he tried to copy his dads style play didnt work out for him and he lost tomlin eisa engvill hes had rows with paterson which is why loaned out to derby and cod in last few weeks 

If you want the best out of a player you play to their strengths not rocket science 

7 hours ago, Chappers said:

In fairness, KP has not really performed this season, just occasional moments, and we can’t afford that in the team. In fairness, he showed enough inconsistency last season to make us wary of signing him, so I was surprised that we did. I’d be more than happy to let him go, and if he is successful elsewhere, good luck to him. It’s more down to the balance of the team than Lee.

Nic is a bit of a dilemma, and a bit of a victim of defensive frailties. The 3 CB’s made us dull, but hard to beat, particularly away. And it covered up shortcomings in midfield and at FB.

As for Nikita, we need to stop obsessing with him, there will be other forwards available, he’s just one of many options. Not all the reports of his performances at Leeds are positive, so he might not be the Messiah. 

He’s a very talented player and players like him need to be played regularly to perform at a consistent level. You need to look at LJ’s lack of  ability to get the best of certain players and his annoying habit of scapegoating some 

15 minutes ago, NickJ said:

@Harry too:

I'd say it was an example of one of those trivial things that Wilbrahim mentioned.

He sent a picture eating cake, big deal.

Too many people with a sense of humour bypass.

Top managers would probably have a laugh about it with the player, if it was a joke meant in the right spirit.

The important thing is not silly pictures which in reality probably helped to build team spirit among the players, but how the player in question performs when he actually gets on the pitch.

As I said before, Johnson was able to try Tomlin out for 3 months before buying, he should have known exactly what he was getting - however you look at it, if Johnson didn't like the player, he only had himself to blame for buying him.

Same with Palmer. Johnson had him for half a season, on the strength of that buys him for 2 or 3 million and then decides he doesn't fit into the squad never mind the starting 11. Bizarre.

Maybe we just have a different sense of humour but if it was a one-off, I'd find it more funny.

If you're in a position of privilege and consistently out of shape, not pulling your weight (no pun intended) and clearly performing well below standard, all while smugly taking the piss out of your manager, that doesn't scream hilarity to me.

I’ve not read the whole of this thread so apologies I’m I am making points that others have but I think the rift rumours are rubbish. Kasey was on fire when linking with  Afobe early this season, they had a great friendship off the pitch too. Then obviously Afobe had a awful injury which has affected the whole team not just Kasey. More recently the tragic loss of a young child to his friend and team mate must have hit Kasey badly, he has a young child too. 

I honestly think LJ has removed him from the team to try to get his head right. He may stay he is physically fit and able to play but mentally he is carrying a load and probably isn’t. Sometimes the decision has to be made for you.

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Have you ever met KP or seen him interviewed?

How can you judge how a player ‘comes across’ If you haven’t........

Plus.....players, like managers have a public persona.

So how can you make assumptions of GMG or anybody else you’ve never met you bloody hypocrite 

44 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

One thing I will say is, that's a ******* brave move from Gregor. Surely he's going to get himself banned for that? LJ must be fuming! 

If LJ has any sense he'll just go along with the McAllister line. Nothing smacks of desperation more than a manager going on the defensive, unless you're in a position of power like Fergie and after five defeats out of six, LJ most certainly is not.

Hopefully he realises GMac has a job to do, which is informing us of things from the players' points of view as well as the club's, and he can't always have it his own way. The Post have been pretty supportive, in some people's views too supportive of LJ when things have been bad, so he should cut them some slack.

15 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He’s a very talented player and players like him need to be played regularly to perform at a consistent level. You need to look at LJ’s lack of  ability to get the best of certain players and his annoying habit of scapegoating some 

What is the description of talented based on? He has never shown any consistency for us, often described as a show pony, and it’s a tad harsh blaming Lee that a player you like is not as good as you want him to be. 

17 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

So how can you make assumptions of GMG or anybody else you’ve never met you bloody hypocrite 

I have met and spoken to Kasey (and Gregor!). Kasey strikes me as a very mature 23 year old very keen to settle down. He certainly was keen to work hard and take his chance when I chatted to him the other week. 

32 minutes ago, Highguy said:

When your snapped up by chelsea academy and loaned here there and everywhere your big fish in a small pond palmer would walk in to most teams at this level

Did you not see the start of the season? When we play to his strengths hes quality but if you got your play maker picking the ball up on edge your own box your asking trouble 

He was injured at huddersfield thats why didnt play much there if i remember correctly came back in time for end season 

He cant handle creative players because he wasnt creative when he played he tried to copy his dads style play didnt work out for him and he lost tomlin eisa engvill hes had rows with paterson which is why loaned out to derby and cod in last few weeks 

If you want the best out of a player you play to their strengths not rocket science 

this - ,

is a comma

this - .

is a fully stop

'While a full stop ends a sentence, a comma indicates a smaller break. Some writers think of a comma as a soft pause—a punctuation mark that separates words, clauses, or ideas within a sentence.'

go on, try 'em.

2 minutes ago, Antman said:

this - ,

is a comma

this - .

is a fully stop

'While a full stop ends a sentence, a comma indicates a smaller break. Some writers think of a comma as a soft pause—a punctuation mark that separates words, clauses, or ideas within a sentence.'

go on, try 'em.

Then when he has mastered them he can try semi-colons; I do like a good semi-colon.

A Leeds fan friend of mine said to me today that Nketiah was rather useless for them. He went on to say he cannot hold a ball up but maybe he will perform better under our style of play. That said I am rather puzzled what our style of play is of late. I assume Lee still knows what it is though. ?

Archived