IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

reddogkev

Surprised there isn't a long thread rumbling on about him, unless I've missed it.

For all the negatives that people sometimes spout about Wayne, I must admit to being massively excited that he's now a Championship player.

All-time England record goal scorer, winner of numerous high-level championships and titles, a sometimes controversial figure who may have once dabbled with an OAP hooker (haven't we all?), and still only 34-years-old.

I find it incredible he is now playing at the same tier as City and will go on record to state I cannot wait until the day he comes down to Ashton Gate to play against us (12th February).

I find myself rather envious of Derby, imagine if he was a City player, would be sensational.  By the way, I bloody love Wayne Rooney, if you couldn't tell already.

Your thoughts on the great man?

I honestly could not care less about him being in the championship. Been pretty poor for a long time now hasn't he? Even last couple of seasons of United career he wasnt the same player anymore.

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

A mate messaged me during the game (prior to any assists), saying he was massively off the pace. 

You just know retirement is not going to be kind to him. Ricky Hatton style. 

He's always been massively off the pace though, ever since 2004, doesn't seem to stop him!

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I honestly could not care less about him being in the championship. Been pretty poor for a long time now hasn't he? Even last couple of seasons of United career he wasnt the same player anymore.

Bit of an odd mind-set though, eh?  You're clearly a serious football fan, how could you not care less about England's all-time goalscorer being in the Championship, at a respectable age?

I just don't get it, Jon.

10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Surprised there isn't a long thread rumbling on about him, unless I've missed it.

For all the negatives that people sometimes spout about Wayne, I must admit to being massively excited that he's now a Championship player.

All-time England record goal scorer, winner of numerous high-level championships and titles, a sometimes controversial figure who may have once dabbled with an OAP hooker (haven't we all?), and still only 34-years-old.

I find it incredible he is now playing at the same tier as City and will go on record to state I cannot wait until the day he comes down to Ashton Gate to play against us (12th February).

I find myself rather envious of Derby, imagine if he was a City player, would be sensational.  By the way, I bloody love Wayne Rooney, if you couldn't tell already.

Always been a big fan of Rooney, argued many a time about his inclusions in England squads with people who didn't rate him over the years!

I am slightly jealous of Derby, he is still going to be far too good for this division, and despite a quiet first half yesterday, he improved in the second. 

It was his first game since October, so it's hardly surprising he wasn't at his absolute best, but I have a feeling Derby will massively benefit from having him there, they could be the side that come on strong the second half of the season and end up in the play offs. 

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

Bit of an odd mind-set though, eh?  You're clearly a serious football fan, how could you not care less about England's all-time goalscorer being in the Championship, at a respectable age?

I just don't get it, Jon.

Because his record doesn't really interest me. Most of those goals were against poor sides. Peter Crouch would have likely been England all time record scorer if he'd played that many times.

1 minute ago, Carey 6 said:

Always been a big fan of Rooney, argued many a time about his inclusions in England squads with people who didn't rate him over the years!

I am slightly jealous of Derby, he is still going to be far too good for this division, and despite a quiet first half yesterday, he improved in the second. 

It was his first game since October, so it's hardly surprising he wasn't at his absolute best, but I have a feeling Derby will massively benefit from having him there, they could be the side that come on strong the second half of the season and end up in the play offs. 

Yep, feel the same way; I also find it hard to believe he's at this level.  If he was 38 I could understand.  I would not be surprised now if Derby finished strongly and pushed for top six again.

Surely Rooney would still do a decent job for example at Bournemouth, Brighton, and a few others in the Prem.

8 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Yep, feel the same way; I also find it hard to believe he's at this level.  If he was 38 I could understand.  I would not be surprised now if Derby finished strongly and pushed for top six again.

Surely Rooney would still do a decent job for example at Bournemouth, Brighton, and a few others in the Prem.

Which makes you wonder what barely legal offers Mel Morris has made to him - knowing that crook he sold part/all of their ground to him, so don't be surprised to see it renamed the Wayne Rooney Stadium anytime soon.

Let's be honest, Rooney doesn't need the money, but could easily have got a Premiership move and earned (presumably) a considerable amount more than he will at Derby. Something dodgy is going on there, and if they don't make the Premiership this year, then I wouldn't be surprised to see them do a Bolton.

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Most of those goals were against poor sides.

They were - but that is the case for almost all strikers who score a lot of goals at international level.

There was actually an article about this recently, comparing top scorers for each nation and the percentage of goals scored against lower standard opposition.

For comparison: Rooney: 58% of his international goals were against 'poor' sides. Cristiano Ronaldo: 65% of his have been.

That's accurate as of today, as the article was after the last international break. I don't know exactly how it was classified, but I know that all major tournament goals are classed as against good sides, so the 'Ronaldo scores more at tournaments' argument is actually captured here somewhat too.

It's not just his international record though - he scored 208 goals in the premier league.

He's certainly not at his peak now, and hasn't been for some time, but he was an incredible player, and I'm sure will be very good for Derby. I don't think you're giving him enough respect.

34 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

21 minutes ago, Taz said:

Which makes you wonder what barely legal offers Mel Morris has made to him - knowing that crook he sold part/all of their ground to him, so don't be surprised to see it renamed the Wayne Rooney Stadium anytime soon.

Let's be honest, Rooney doesn't need the money, but could easily have got a Premiership move and earned (presumably) a considerable amount more than he will at Derby. Something dodgy is going on there, and if they don't make the Premiership this year, then I wouldn't be surprised to see them do a Bolton.

Basically, and it's probably a simplification, but sponsors are paying part of his wage- perhaps a decent chunk of it

As we all know, he wears 32...shirt sponsors are 32Red. He wears 32, unsure if he has any tieup with them himself?

It's not that they're paying Rooney directly, more that they took the initiative and got a large chunk of cash off the back of it from the sponsors. Apparently.

What is interesting is that Leeds, Middlesbrough, Preston I believe all sponsored by said same company...cannot see them being happy whatsoever! Aston Villa and Rangers are too, but that's not so relevant in the context of this League.

I hope there's a proper investigation into this deal!

@Carey 6 Hopefully the EFL investigation into Pride Park and their general antics will see them get a 10-15 point deduction and put paid to that...imagine if they were closing in the top 6 in late March and suddenly investigation done, guilty, hearing...bang 10-15 points.

Love to see it! ?

5 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

They were - but that is the case for almost all strikers who score a lot of goals at international level.

There was actually an article about this recently, comparing top scorers for each nation and the percentage of goals scored against lower standard opposition.

For comparison: Rooney: 58% of his international goals were against 'poor' sides. Cristiano Ronaldo: 65% of his have been.

That's accurate as of today, as the article was after the last international break. I don't know exactly how it was classified, but I know that all major tournament goals are classed as against good sides, so the 'Ronaldo scores more at tournaments' argument is actually captured here somewhat too.

It's not just his international record though - he scored 208 goals in the premier league.

He's certainly not at his peak now, and hasn't been for some time, but he was an incredible player, and I'm sure will be very good for Derby. I don't think you're giving him enough respect.

Fair enough. I just think Rooney was only ever truly great for about a season or 2. He always scored goals at United, like pretty much any striker did they had back then. He was very good. I wouldn't care if other former good prem players came to the championship either who are past their best. 

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Blimey people making it sound like he wouldn't get into our team?!

He wouldn't.    LJ needs 6 months to teach him the patterns, not fit enough for the press...or the clutch.

Didn't watch the game last night - how many box entries did he make?

I watched the game last night - specific focus on Rooney (couldn’t be anything else with Sky coverage).

To be honest, he looked slow, a couple of yards off the pace. A lot of the time the game passed him by and Derby are going to need a lot of energy around him if he is going to play CM. Got the assist via a dead ball (but that will always be the last thing to go).

I’d maybe put a large percentage down to match fitness, but unless that comes he won’t last a significant amount of time at CM in the championship.

Has to be remembered that he wasn’t in the Everton side pre DC United so they haven’t got the Man Utd Rooney, they have a player who was already deemed surplus at mid table prem 2 years ago. 

21 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I watched the game last night - specific focus on Rooney (couldn’t be anything else with Sky coverage).

To be honest, he looked slow, a couple of yards off the pace. A lot of the time the game passed him by and Derby are going to need a lot of energy around him if he is going to play CM. Got the assist via a dead ball (but that will always be the last thing to go).

I’d maybe put a large percentage down to match fitness, but unless that comes he won’t last a significant amount of time at CM in the championship.

Has to be remembered that he wasn’t in the Everton side pre DC United so they haven’t got the Man Utd Rooney, they have a player who was already deemed surplus at mid table prem 2 years ago. 

Cheers for the info, I've only read the BBC report of the match and unsurprisingly there was no mention of some of the points you've mentioned.

Still, even with Rooney off of the pace he was a large part of their win last night (going purely off of the bbc report).  Barnsley have picked up a bit lately, so that's a decent home win.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Because his record doesn't really interest me. Most of those goals were against poor sides. Peter Crouch would have likely been England all time record scorer if he'd played that many times.

Don"t the Americans use the term  'Flat Track Bully"?    Must admit I'd barely cross the road to watch him......prefer Jacki myself ?

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Would you consider France, Brazil, Holland, Argentina and Croatia poor sides? He scored against each of these sides. 

Sky Sports latest love in with Derby, on their news page you’d of thought the headline from their game last night would go to Waghorn who got Derby’s winner, but no they have to make it all about Rooney who got the assist for the opening goal from a set piece. Ridiculous amount of hype for someone who’s on the wind down in his career whilst his club  somehow pay his massive wages (or not going on yesterday’s story) whilst bending the rules to suit themselves. I hope they fall flat on their face.

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

shrek GIF

1 hour ago, BCFC11 said:

Sky Sports latest love in with Derby, on their news page you’d of thought the headline from their game last night would go to Waghorn who got Derby’s winner, but no they have to make it all about Rooney who got the assist for the opening goal from a set piece. Ridiculous amount of hype for someone who’s on the wind down in his career whilst his club  somehow pay his massive wages (or not going on yesterday’s story) whilst bending the rules to suit themselves. I hope they fall flat on their face.

Get used to it.

0B99D1EE-3024-4704-A7ED-858A4B5CB602.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Get used to it.

0B99D1EE-3024-4704-A7ED-858A4B5CB602.jpeg

BBC jumping on the bandwagon aswell now then. After scraping past Barnsley last night TalkSport wasted no time in asking whether Derby could be ‘that’ team this season who make a late charge for promotion. Yes they could but so could atleast 10 others. Bar the odd flash of brilliance I can’t see him making much of an impact.

Archived