IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

reddogkev

8 hours ago, gazza1982 said:

Would you consider France, Brazil, Holland, Argentina and Croatia poor sides? He scored against each of these sides. 

Well Croatia was the only team there that he scored against in competitive games.

A lot of the other nations never really took friendlies seriously. Rooney in major competitions performed terribly. I don't even think his goalscoring record is very good considering the level of opponents and the fact he was penalty taker too.

Compare that to Peter Crouch. 22 goals and only started 18 times, capped 42 times overall because of sub appearances. If he'd had Rooney amount of caps then he'd have surely have beaten his record.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well Croatia was the only team there that he scored against in competitive games.

A lot of the other nations never really took friendlies seriously. Rooney in major competitions performed terribly. I don't even think his goalscoring record is very good considering the level of opponents and the fact he was penalty taker too.

Compare that to Peter Crouch. 22 goals and only started 18 times, capped 42 times overall because of sub appearances. If he'd had Rooney amount of caps then he'd have surely have beaten his record.

I thought I heard Jon, that the reason Crouch didn't win more caps was that he was reffed out of the game by foreign referees because of his style in aerial challenges so became a liability ?

Hugely under rated player in my opinion, which is worthless of course !

2 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

I thought I heard Jon, that the reason Crouch didn't win more caps was that he was reffed out of the game by foreign referees because of his style in aerial challenges so became a liability ?

Maybe that was the case. But he certainly scored goals. I remember him coming on against Portugal after Rooney sending off and thinking why didn't he start. They couldn't cope with him. I am sure he could have adapted his game. There's been plenty of other huge strikers in international football.

56 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Rooney‘s record in major tournaments is 7 goals from 18 starts. Not amazing, but arguably slightly better than ‘performing terribly’, especially when considering he was picked to play while clearly some way short of 100% fitness in several of those games. 

As for him being the penalty taker, that was only relatively late on in his England career. Lampard was the penalty taker for a good part of it, as evidenced by Lampard being England’s joint all time record penalty scorer, with nine (along with Kane). 

3 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Agree.  There was a spell at the start of Shhhhteve’s rein that he partnered Defoe (big-man / Little-man) with Downing on left wing and Gerrard on right (Beckham droppped to maje a point of the new boss), and we were excellent.  It was like Gavin, Taylor, Turner and Smith, but top-level! ?

Archived