IGNORED

Is KP’s chant offensive?

Wolf Island

1 hour ago, Hare Island said:

If Palmer stays beyond the transfer window I think the words to his chant must change. I know the song is sung with good intent, but sadly it reinforces racial stereotypes, tropes and fears about men of colour. 

No doubt I will get a few negative emojiis or ‘snowflake’ jibes for this post but hoping some will also like and take action.

Your name is offensive tho all Hare Krishna followers and bald people and people who live on islands ?

13 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think as mentioned Kasey found it funny and probably a bit flattering when he got a song so quickly into his BCFC career. He said even his young son was joining in which amused him, he did say though that he had to tweak the lyrics a bit, which is fair comment.

What a strange thread,  even stranger as he has been with us a year almost now. I don’t sing it personally, as I haven’t got a wife but I do sort of hum that bit and sing the rest. I didn’t realise I was causing offence to fellow fans, shame on me. ?

Unfortunately in today’s world no matter what you do or say, its guaranteed to offend someone.

This thread has descended as I feared. Apologies for any part I played in that, though it does make for depressing reading . I was trying to make a serious point upon which I will attempt to expand.

What I fear is that the chant reinforces stereotypes present in the Mandingo trope, portraying men of colour as hyper sexual, well-endowed, objects of transgressive lust etc etc. 

To be clear - I am not accusing City fans of conscious discrimination or ill-will. such stereotypes are deeply ingrained and subconscious or accepted. But they can and should be called out. Basically a rehashing of the Lukaku Man Utd controversy of a few years back. 

This is a serious discussion so hopefully those posting funny gifs, personal insults etc have had their fill and can either reflect on the above or find another thread. 

Happy new year.

1 minute ago, Hare Island said:

This thread has descended as I feared. Apologies for any part I played in that, though it does make for depressing reading . I was trying to make a serious point upon which I will attempt to expand.

What I fear is that the chant reinforces stereotypes present in the Mandingo trope, portraying men of colour as hyper sexual, well-endowed, objects of transgressive lust etc etc. 

To be clear - I am not accusing City fans of conscious discrimination or ill-will. such stereotypes are deeply ingrained and subconscious or accepted. But they can and should be called out. Basically a rehashing of the Lukaku Man Utd controversy of a few years back. 

This is a serious discussion so hopefully those posting funny gifs, personal insults etc have had their fill and can either reflect on the above or find another thread. 

Happy new year.

Literally spat my tea out...

59 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

The point is that it wouldn’t be sung at Brownhill. 

Unconscious biases run deep but are biases nonetheless.

Josh Brownhill's name doesn't fit the chant. That's why it's not sung about him ffs.

As for your original post. I am 31. I think you are absolutely deluding yourself if you reckon that the Kasey chant is racist. Give your head a wobble and focus on some real issues. Also, branding all over-65s as "racist" or using the horrendously reductive term "Boomer" is just as bad as anyone chucking the term "Snowflake" around. this goes for everyone - stop pigeon-holing people, stop telling people what they think, stop trying to label everyone as a member of some imaginary homogeneous tribe. We've all got to share the same planet, the same country, same city and same society. So stop trying to turn generations against each other. Find some ******* nuance and get a grip.

Oh, and mods - get this thread shifted into non-football chat asap.

Edit: Happy New Bloody Year

2 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Happy new year.

No, you are in a minority of ONE. You are looking for offence that simply isn’t there. You have had an absolute nightmare and it is YOU that might need to reflect.

1 minute ago, Hare Island said:

Happy new year.

Happy new year also, and thank you for the gift that just keeps on giving. I also accept your apology for the personal insults.

3 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Happy new year.

That leads me to think you are not one of us

3 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Happy new year.

Maybe I’m wrong and should have a long hard look at myself but I don’t see Kasey as a black man anymore than I see Brownhill as a white man. They are both Bristol City players as far as I’m concerned. Seriously, am I wrong?

4 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Happy new year.

Same goes for that sterotype of ginger Yorkshiremen clutching a piece of willow in one hand and a fans wife in the other.

You deserve everything you get.

2 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Happy new year.

To be fair I understand the point but I fear the discriminatory context is something no one else reads into the chant. I don’t think it’s the same as the lukaku situation from years ago, that was very different. 

I think the chant is an old one that’s been around for donkeys years and essentially is saying Kasey Palmer is so good you would let him.... you know. It’s the same with chants for crowd pleasing talented players, they always get the bigger chants as they are the reason we pay to watch football (maybe not at the moment!). KP is an exciting player who on his day is worth the season ticket alone. It’s the same way as the lee Tomlin chant should not be offensive to anyone who has religious beliefs.

7 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Happy new year.

Nope. I’ve tried but you’ve just gone and confused the shit out of me ten fold now.
I literally have no idea what you are going on about ?

1 hour ago, Hare Island said:

If Palmer stays beyond the transfer window I think the words to his chant must change. I know the song is sung with good intent, but sadly it reinforces racial stereotypes, tropes and fears about men of colour. 

No doubt I will get a few negative emojiis or ‘snowflake’ jibes for this post but hoping some will also like and take action.

I mean Palmer himself said he likes it in the interview where he signed permanently 

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

Maybe I’m wrong and should have a long hard look at myself but I don’t see Kasey as a black man anymore than I see Brownhill as a white man. They are both Bristol City players as far as I’m concerned. Seriously, am I wrong?

Nope, I think much the same

Archived