IGNORED

Next 5 (league) games

reformed_red

37 minutes ago, Ryan_BCFC said:

Even if we lost all 5 LJ would still be here banging on about how he has faith in the team and how he believes they’re good enough to compete in the division.

Anyway I’ll  go for 8 points and that’s being optimistic in current form. 

Lives in a dream world sometimes, must eat the mushrooms out of his garden :argh:

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

I actually agree with LJ when he says we're close to putting a run together. 

Reckon we could falter against Shrewsbury with a draw but come out of those 5 games unbeaten.

Really? Since we put in 2 consecutive decent performances against Huddersfield and Fulham we have seen 3 of the worst performances in years against Millwall, Blackburn and Sheffield Wednesday, about 15 minutes of anything against Charlton, then we turned up against the worst side to visit AG in years, and then we got to see some of the most baffling management in 30 years at Ashton Gate (on the upside at least we got to watch Brentford) where in that is there anything suggesting we can put a run together? 

We have been on the whole performing poorly and getting results for most of the season, and that is now coming home to haunt us, we are like the team that is playing well but just can't buy a win that suddenly gets one and goes off on a run, just the wrong way round. 

4 hours ago, city1983 said:

i was looking at the same fixtures earlier and i'm afraid i cannot see 12 points in there at all.  i would love to be proved wrong.

we were awful at wigan last season. best I'm hoping for there is a point. We'll beat Barnsley at home. But then we're playing sides who we have a terrible record against. We normally get beaten in a boring game at reading, and their form has picked up drastically, enough to the point that it is not that far fetched for them to be above us when we play them. Other than last season we never beat QPR at their place. And Birmingham also normally have the beating of us. 

I think we'll do well to get 5 points out of that lot, which would start seeing a gap open up between us and the playoffs

That said 1 point at wigan and a win against barnsley might put this wretched run behind us and with a couple of new faces and renewed optimism we might all be pleasantly surprised.

Totally agree with every word! 4 points from the first 2 games would be a solid start, then some tough games.

3 hours ago, Chappers said:

And Reading likely to be postponed due to Cup commitments. Hopefully to a time when our form is better and theirs is worse.

Is my punctuation correct?

Phew, put that one off please!

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

“But, but, but we’re only 9 points off the playoffs!”

I can hear it now. 

It's such an annoying rhetoric and it just makes you want to save it for an I told you so opportunity!

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Reckon we could falter against Shrewsbury with a draw but come out of those 5 games unbeaten.

Stan, honest question: what is that gives you that optimism? Underlying statistics that act as indicators of effective performance have remained pretty much unchanged since the start of the season. If anything they have in fact worsened slightly over the past half dozen games.

In all but 5 matches this season we have been out-shot by our opponents. Our average deficit in this is -4.3 shots per game. In all but 7 games we have managed fewer shots on target than our opponents. On average opposing teams get an extra 1.2 shots on target. I know you're not a fan of xG but those stats are even more damning. What's worse is that whilst earlier in the season we could say "well we may be taking fewer shots but at least our are better" that hasn't been true in any of the past 7 games (Luton the one exception).

Luton at home is the sole outlier in this regard - and Luton are as much an anomaly in our opponents as we were when compared to ourselves.

When it comes down to it football games are won by scoring more goals than your opponent. Shot statistics like this suggest we only make things harder for ourselves. Unless we magically 'click' I am sorry to say I see no reason for optimism.

I’m sure last season I posted that under LJ we were trending towards W4 D4 L3 (16Pts / 11games)in his time here, either a good run eventually regressing to that, or a bad one eventually lifted upwards to it.

We seem to be back in usual territory....around the 1.5 points per game, just below stats needed for play-offs.

championship games under LJ:

E848BFC7-3653-431B-9DC5-9D6EA420502D.jpeg.b858a22e56729d233442d3a44933f102.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m sure last season I posted that under LJ we were trending towards W4 D4 L3 (16Pts / 11games)in his time here, either a good run eventually regressing to that, or a bad one eventually lifted upwards to it.

We seem to be back in usual territory....around the 1.5 points per game, just below stats needed for play-offs.

First 10 this season - 1.7

Second 10 - 1.8

Third ten (6 played so far) - 0.5. Even 4 wins on the trot will only give us 1.5 ppg for the third ten. Tells you how bad December was.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Puts us around 10th-11th over the past few seasons which is the best I think we will manage this time round.

7 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Puts us around 10th-11th over the past few seasons which is the best I think we will manage this time round.

It’s still very possible we can challenge for play-offs, but pre-season I said we needed 20 wins, and probably more draws than losses, say 14 draws, 12 losses....74 points.

So we now need something like 36 points from 20 games.  Doable?  Yep, but no more crappy runs.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s still very possible we can challenge for play-offs, but pre-season I said we needed 20 wins, and probably more draws than losses, say 14 draws, 12 losses....74 points.

So we now need something like 36 points from 20 games.  Doable?  Yep, but no more crappy runs.

Thats form akin to a 4th place finish over recent seasons so something needs to change pronto Dave.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I just can't see that happening, I can't see where consistent performances come from when there is no consistency in personnel or plan. 

Brentford will be blamed on particular players meaning more changes and probably a change of system. We put in our first decent performance for a month and he still couldn't resist changing the team. I'm not saying starting Nagy against Brentford sees a different Outcome, but him and Brownhill looked like starting to work each other out, so he changes it and Smith is garbage as he has been since returning, but equally after a much improved  performance Brownhill goes back to being crap. 

I would not be surprised if at the end of Jan we are closer to the bottom 6 than the top 6. Baring a spectacular improvement. 

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

You've still started a sentence with a conjunctive, omitted an apostrophe, arguably should use the word "is" after the word "Reading", and one could argue the whole thing should be a single sentence. Other than that - perfect.

That is the best criticism I have ever received on OTIB, I feel a mix of shame at my poor grammar, and awe at your totally accurate assessment of my post.

Thank you, I feel humbled and will endeavour to improve my command of the English language in future.

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Gives LJ a win percentage of just under 38%. Not terrible but not taking us anywhere other than mid table.

10 minutes ago, Chappers said:

That is the best criticism I have ever received on OTIB, I feel a mix of shame at my poor grammar, and awe at your totally accurate assessment of my post.

Thank you, I feel humbled and will endeavour to improve my command of the English language in future.

Haha and that's the biggest compliment I've ever received on here. Honestly, as @Judda says, your post was far better than most of what gets posted on here. OTIB is a football forum. We aren't writing press releases or legal contracts so some relaxed grammar and spelling is totally acceptable in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Chappers said:

I’d ask @ExiledAjax for clarification on the alleged omitted apostrophe before any self-flagellation, dear Chappers. :whistle2:

And perhaps a citation for the advice to not start a sentence with a conjunction... :robbored:

:innocent06:

37 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Haha and that's the biggest compliment I've ever received on here. Honestly, as @Judda says, your post was far better than most of what gets posted on here. OTIB is a football forum. We aren't writing press releases or legal contracts so some relaxed grammar and spelling is totally acceptable in my opinion.

Cheers. That attitude helps us dyslexic types get away with a bit!

7 hours ago, reformed_red said:

Enough of the LJ out chat for me, he's going nowhere anytime soon.

So, the next 5 games look favourable based on current league position, even with the recent fiasco-esque performances we've been seeing.

Wigan A (22nd), Barnsley H (23rd), Reading A (14th), QPR A (15th), Birmingham H (18th).

I'd fancy us to get 12 points from those games and get this campaign slightly back on track. I can't resolve myself to wanting us to do poorly to get LJ out, and I think he'd have to basically get us into the relegation zone before SL were to act anyhow. 

In my option we've had 3 bad results (Milwall, Blackburn and Charlton), with one catastrophic performance  v Brentford. We need to find more potency going forward, hopefully we will get a striker in ASAP. 

Thoughts? 

If I follow my truly instinctive pessimistic thoughts, I can see, on current form, a minimum of two points and a maximum of five.

Where is the confidence, unity and quality coming from to get more than two points pet game?

Change the specs to a non rose tinted pair.

6 hours ago, Super said:

Wigan A (22nd), D

Barnsley H (23rd), W

Reading A (14th) L

QPR A (15th) L

Birmingham H (18th). D

Apologies but due to my incredibly debilitating OCD, if we do manage a draw at Wigan then I am going to have to 'hope' for a defeat against Brentford.  

You see, I just cannot handle the imbalanced nature of a record that reads 10 9 8 (actually ok) but then 11 9 8.  (And there's only one way I could go next with a record of 10 10 8)  I could probably just about manage until QPR away especially as there is no delay for an international or FA cup weekend, but can we agree that game will be a loss to bring our record to a more orderly 11 9 9. Then we can all hope to win every game to the end of the season. But otherwise, a draw will have to mean a defeat in quick order, or vice versa.  I am glad the beeb don't show home and away records anymore, otherwise my head would explode. ?

Anyway, thank you for your understanding and assistance in this very serious matter.

13 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Mate, we'll honestly be lucky to get 5.

Because you're wrong about us only having 3 bad performances. We've performed poorly all season with the sole exceptions of the Luton home game (against opposition that was useless), the second half of the Charlton home game, and Derby away. In most of the other matches where we've picked up points it's been through luck rather than skill or judgment. That luck has ran out.

6 hours ago, RedYoshi said:

Mods! Mods! @ExiledAjax is threatening to interrobang me!

You deserve it. But far worse than any grammatical error is the failure to remember beating Huddersfield 5-2. And that was a performance that wasn't bad. 

On 03/01/2020 at 18:19, Shtanley said:

Fingers crossed we don’t ruin my prediction on Friday. 

Archived